hepclassic

TCM Backlot Northeast Ohio

15 posts in this topic

Great! Maybe we can find somewhere- a happy, middle, affordable, classy locale and meet. 

I still want to see this realized! I've messaged those here, but c'mon. Let's get a presence going! 

ddcffdb70efacf6fb1af5b9ae9dca610.gif

• Thanks 1

I can add three or more members for the application. Maybe more.

From the Rocky River and Berea areas.

I would like to tie the Chapter in to the restoration of the Variety Theater.

If we could be up and running by the re-opening I would like to get statewide exposure, possibly national for the event.

I think there are some movie venues on the West Side that could serve as temporary viewing locations for the group.

I have an email in to ldemarco@plaind.com

She wrote a great piece on the restoration efforts:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/05/clevelands_historic_variety_th.html

P.S.

In 2002 a local councilwoman, Dona Brady, recognized the need to restore the Variety Theatre. Brady worked with Gretchen Moore, a commercial director at Westown Community Development Corporation, to establish the Friends of the Historic Variety Theatre, a nonprofit group dedicated to restoring the theater. The Friends raised funds to have a replica marquee built based on photographs of the original, but it has yet to be installed. The group was able to purchase the building on June 12, 2009, after receiving grants and other funding. The apartments in the theater complex have been restored, and are being rented to supplement the restoration of the building. The Variety Theatre will become a multi-use venue when the restoration is complete. [Site description by Matt Lambros - check out his website, After the Final Curtain, here.]

Variety.jpg

20 hours ago, kcselectrical56@gmail.com said:

I can add three or more members for the application. Maybe more.

From the Rocky River and Berea areas.

I would like to tie the Chapter in to the restoration of the Variety Theater.

If we could be up and running by the re-opening I would like to get statewide exposure, possibly national for the event.

I think there are some movie venues on the West Side that could serve as temporary viewing locations for the group.

I have an email in to ldemarco@plaind.com

She wrote a great piece on the restoration efforts:

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/05/clevelands_historic_variety_th.html

P.S.

In 2002 a local councilwoman, Dona Brady, recognized the need to restore the Variety Theatre. Brady worked with Gretchen Moore, a commercial director at Westown Community Development Corporation, to establish the Friends of the Historic Variety Theatre, a nonprofit group dedicated to restoring the theater. The Friends raised funds to have a replica marquee built based on photographs of the original, but it has yet to be installed. The group was able to purchase the building on June 12, 2009, after receiving grants and other funding. The apartments in the theater complex have been restored, and are being rented to supplement the restoration of the building. The Variety Theatre will become a multi-use venue when the restoration is complete. [Site description by Matt Lambros - check out his website, After the Final Curtain, here.]

Variety.jpg

Hi, I saw you also message me privately and will answer- this seems like an amazing undertaking/effort. However, I think we can build into this restoration by holding events/fundraisers. 

If we were to meet, I know the Capitol Theatre in Gordon Square shows classic movies from time to time. It is usually in the morning, and maybe we can meet each other there and get brunch or lunch in the area afterwards? Thoughts? I don't want to neglect anyone on the East Side either. 

• Like 1

Sounds good, Hepclassic.

I'll see whats's on the upcoming schedule at the Capitol.

If there is a venue on the East side we could alternate if there is interest.

Plain Dealer, reporter, Laura DeMarco may be able to give some publicity to any events we can set up. Maybe some of the dj's at John Carroll Uni radio station could mention the events, as well.

Rick

• Thanks 1

So, NEO Backlot members- we are meeting at the Capitol Theatre in Gordon Square in the near future! 

6161f90d0572e84ffe03972f256b4af8.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

Looks like everybody is busy or hasn't looked in.

We'll try again when another classic runs. I know the spaghetti westerns are not everyone's cup of tea.

TCM just played this Monday. Had not seen it in a while.

https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-the-Historic-Variety-Theatre-219445750326/ 

Demo prep for the Variety Theater parking lot is underway. My co-worker's parents saw the 1964 Beatles show there. Great times, I'm sure. After the pandemonium, the Mayor banned the Beatles from Cleveland during the 1965 tour. The guys returned and played Municipal Stadium in '66 and the crowd jumped the barriers. There wasn't much the police could do and that helped influence the Beatles decision to stop touring. Crazy.

Have a great weekend.

Rick

Hello, TCM Backlot Members from Northeast Ohio!  Has this local chapter been officially started?  I do not see it listed on the page of Local Chapters.  I would like to join so that I have other people to share my passion for classic films.  Thanks.

• Like 2

Hello Eileen,

We haven't gotten the app in as yet.

Thinking the Capitol Theater should be the venue. They don't run a lot of TCM style classics. I was going to talk to them and see if they had an interest in running them more often and what support they would need for marketing. They would need some ROI for their time and resources I'm sure and that would require a level of ticket sales and ads.

RK

I wonder if they are one of the theatres that TCM does special showings at. If not, they should be.