LawrenceA

R.I.P. John Mahoney (1940-2018)

20 posts in this topic

Actor John Mahoney has died at the age of 77. Mahoney was born in the U.K. He moved to the U.S. where he attended college at Quincy University in Illinois. He then joined the U.S. Army to attain his U.S. citizenship. He worked as a writer and magazine editor before pursuing acting in his spare time, and not until his mid-to-late 30's. He was eventually asked to join the Steppenwolf theater in Chicago by John Malkovich and Gary Sinise. He made his movie debut in 1982's Mission Hill, but his film career didn't really take off until 1987, with roles in Tin MenSuspect, and Moonstruck. Among his further film appearances were in BetrayedFrantic, and Eight Men Out (all 1988), Say Anything (1989), The Russia House (1990), Barton Fink (1991), In the Line of Fire (1993), Reality Bites (1994), The Hudsucker Proxy (1994), and Dan in Real Life (2007).

Mahoney found his greatest success on television with his role as Martin Crane in 11 seasons of the show Frasier, which earned him Emmy and Golden Globe nominations.

mahoney2.jpg

john-mahoney-frasier-tv-show-photo-GC2.j

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

He was awfully good in two late 1980s films that also starred a fellow Chicagoan -- John Cusack.

In John Sayles' "Eight Men Out" (1988), Mahoney portrayed "Kid" Gleason -- manager of the Chicago White Sox team that threw the 1919 World Series. Cusack played third baseman Buck Weaver, a key figure who batted .324 and made no errors -- but was permanently banned from baseball with seven other teammates.

In Cameron Crowe's "Say Anything..." (1989), he played Ione_Skye's father, who disapproved of Cusack's character and his relationship with her.

John Cusack Retweeted Dave Zirin

Great actor - lovely kind human - any time you saw him you left feeling better

- RIP John …

• Thanks 1

John Mahoney was always a favorite of mine. I loved him in EIGHT MEN OUT, and I loved him in FRASIER. His chemistry with his sons were hilarious.

RIP John. You will be missed.

John Mahoney was hilarious on Frasier.  His character was always so exasperated with his intelligent, but often too pretentious for their own good, sons Niles and Frasier.  In addition to his comedic lines and scenes, he was also very good at the more dramatic scenes in the show.  Many of the dramatic scenes involved John having to bring Frasier and/or Niles back down to reality and often give them the gut-punch they needed for them to get over themselves. 

RIP.

• Like 1

What a talented, talented guy.  He was my favorite part of "Frasier."  Who knew he was born in the UK!

I am very sorry to hear about John Mahoney's passing. I love him in Frasier. Always good for a laugh, that show. John Mahoney is also in one of my favorite movies: Moonstruck.

No matter how hard ol' Martin tried to teach the boys to be a bit more

humble, next week they were back to being the same arrogant, petty

prisses that they were the week before. :)

Never knew the guy's name.  But liked him in whatever he was in that I saw.  Too bad.

RIP John.

Sepiatone

I was listening to Golic & Wingo on ESPN this morning and they said John didn't even start acting until he was 37.  He wanted to "scratch that itch" after having a business career.  He was also a Tony winner.

John Mahoney was my absolute favorite of the cast on Frasier. He made the show so worthwhile, giving it a family edge.

John was famous on TV,  but he was also famous and much-beloved at the Steppenwolf Theater in Chicago where he was an on-stage fixture for many decades.

He was truly an actor's actor.

My favorite John Mahoney performance was in The House of Blues Leaves for which he won a Tony Award. There was a PBS production of it years ago with Swoosie Kurtz, Julie Hagerty, Chsristine Baranski, and a young and chubby Ben Stiller.

Great tributes!

He is fantastic in SUSPECT and in PRIMAL FEAR.

and, in the "Foyle's War" episode he did ("High Castle").

• Like 1

HI still watch Frasier on Hallmark channel. I loved John as Martin Crane. He brought an earthiness to the show. He was a good counterpart for his snobby pretentious sons. He will certainly be missed.

Was he ever married? None of his notices or info ever talk about a wife or any family members (kids, siblings, etc.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, midnight08 said:

Was he ever married? None of his notices or info ever talk about a wife or any family members (kids, siblings, etc.)

Per Wikipedia:

"Mahoney rarely spoke publicly about his private life, but in a 2002 article he revealed he had been in several relationships, although he had never married. He suffered from colon cancer in the mid-1980s and felt unable to enter intimate romantic relationships as a result of his surgical complications."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, drednm said:

My favorite John Mahoney performance was in The House of Blues Leaves for which he won a Tony Award. There was a PBS production of it years ago with Swoosie Kurtz, Julie Hagerty, Chsristine Baranski, and a young and chubby Ben Stiller.

I think that was the first time I saw him. I loved all his performances. My favorite Martin Crane moment from Frazier :

RIP

• Haha 1

A fine actor, I saw him on Broadway in 1991 for a revival of the play "The Subject Was Roses". His co stars were Dana Ivey and Patrick Dempsey. After the show the cast came out and answered questions from the audience. Mr Mahoney was very kind and personable when speaking to the audience. It was one of my favorite experiences at the theater.

• Like 1

CoziTV is doing an all-day to tribute to Martin Crane (John Mahoney) in Frasier today (Saturday, February 10).

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2018 at 1:23 PM, papyrusbeetle said:

Great tributes!

He is fantastic in SUSPECT and in PRIMAL FEAR.

and, in the "Foyle's War" episode he did ("High Castle").

Thanks for mentioning "Primal Fear," the 1st movie in which I saw him. He was so believable in any role I saw him play. I especially loved his droll no-nonsense humor. May he rest in peace.

holding-candle-istock_000000153399medium1-copy.jpg

It seems as though some of my favorite actors have been from the Steppenwolf company. Another example who gone too soon is Glenne Headley.