Sign in to follow this  
EuniceAquino

MELODY (aka S.W.A.L.K)

4 posts in this topic

Yes, three times, starting at age twelve, and not in the last twenty years. All three times were local broadcasts. My favorite coming-of-age flick. I think I loved it more each time I saw it. Roy Kinnear was brilliant! Many people have requested it on Suggest A Movie, so far with no success. Maybe they could air it during a Kinnear or Alan Parker birthday tribute? Not likely, though.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding. I must have suggested this film at least three times already. I'm surprised to hear that it was ever broadcasted locally even twenty years ago. Like you, I also watched the film over twenty years ago on beta of all things. Wathced it over and over again until the player decided to eat it. It was recently released on dvd in Japan. It isn't available anywhere else but TCM has an option for us to vote for the films we want to become available on dvd. If you look up Melody in the seach field, the "vote for dvd" option is on the right side of the page.

Happy viewing!

• Like 1

I love this movie! I had it on one of those giant video discs back in the 1980s. It is one of the best movies done from a child's point of view. Mark Lester is great as a sensitive young lad and Jack Wild is also wonderful as his more mischievous pal. I like this even better than their previous film "Oliver"

Tracy Hyde is adorable as the object of Lester's affection.

There are great shots of the streets and pubs of early 70s Britain. And it is topped off with an excellent score of songs by the Bee Gees. "Melody Fair" and "First Of May" are two of their most beautiful songs.

I would love to have this on DVD.