Sign in to follow this  
kennethlawson

New Series on PBS

4 posts in this topic

I just found a new series on the history of TV starting overnight tonight, on my local PBS station its called "Pioneers Of Television" I don't know how long a series it is but sounds interesting I thought I'd pass it on.. Heres a link for it; http://www.pbs.org/pioneersoftelevision/?campaign=pbshomefeatures_4_pioneersoftelevision_2008-01-03

Message was edited by: kennethlawson

I thought I had seen some it before now but yes, we should watch it. I recently saw something on one of the cable channels about greatest TV moments or comedies or something like that and you'd be amazed how many of the pioneers are missing or are so far down the list as to be dismissive.

Two hour long documentaries showing on Washington DC PBS tonight discuss Groucho and Jackie Gleason. Neither are new so you might keep an eye out for them in your area.

Kenneth,

It is a series of four, hour long documentaries that are airing over the next four weeks. The first episode, Sitcoms, was broadcast last night here in Los Angeles on KCET.

It was a look at the pioneers of the sitcom such as Lucy, Jackie Gleason, Dick Van Dyke and Andy Griffith.

Other episodes will center around Late Night, Game Shows and Variety Shows, I believe.

If it is successful enough, the producers hope to do another series that would include other favorite genres such as the Westerns, doctor shows and police shows.

Last night's episode was interesting and the interviews included Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Barbara Eden, Jim Nabors, Joyce Randolph and Andy Griffith.

Although I still say it's a stretch to call these "documentaries," this isn't a bad series... Again, PBS offers quality programming (one of the last bastions, along with TCM... er, usually)... How great would it be for Turner Classic Movies to expand to include Turner Classic Television (on another channel, of course) and play these great old shows again? Yuh, I know there's Nick at Night, but "Good Times" and "Sanford and Son" just don't qualify as "classics," in my book...