[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

John Gavin (1931 - 2018)

43 posts in this topic

Actor John Gavin died on February 9, 2018. He was 86. Gavin had prominent supporting roles in many of Universal's most successful films of the '50s and '60s, including Douglas Sirk's IMITATION OF LIFE ('59), Stanley Kubrick's SPARTACUS ('60) as well as BACK STREET ('61) and THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE ('67). He was also cast effectively as Janet Leigh's boyfriend, who helps Vera Miles uncover the mystery of Norman Bates in Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCHO ('60). In the 1980s, Gavin served as Ronald Reagan's ambassador to Mexico for several years. 

The Hollywood Reporter remembers John Gavin here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-gavin-dead-psycho-imitation-life-actor-990198

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 3

He's survived by his wife of 43 years, actress Constance Towers.

• Like 2

And both of them are still running on classic TV re-runs, she on "Perry Mason" and he on "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour".  

My favorite John Gavin movie - "Midnight Lace" -

John_Gavin-Midnight-Lace-1960.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

John Gavin was never an actor that I would include as a favorite, but he appeared in 2 of my all-time favorite movies, both in 1960: Spartacus and Psycho. So I appreciate his contributions to those movies. He had a long and interesting life. R.I.P.

5f45c51775d72b15b18245d96d0234f6.jpg

JohnGavinVeraMilesPsycho.jpg

• Like 4

somebody oughta show the all but forgotten rarely seen made for TV western Cutter's Trail.

Gavin is good.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

John Gavin was never an actor that I would include as a favorite, but he appeared in 2 of my all-time favorite movies, both in 1960: Spartacus and Psycho. So I appreciate his contributions to those movies. He had a long and interesting life. R.I.P.

5f45c51775d72b15b18245d96d0234f6.jpg

JohnGavinVeraMilesPsycho.jpg

I agree with you. I never really went ga-ga over John, but he did make you take notice of him whenever he was on screen. And I also appreciated his appearances in PSYCHO and SPARTACUS.

And kudos to him for having a long lasting marriage and living a full life. How many of us can say that?

RIP John. 

• Like 2

So sorry to hear that! I worked with his wife, Constance Towers once. She was one of the loveliest and most generous actresses I ever worked with. A real class act, as Mr. Gavin was.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John Gavin was a very handsome, romantic leading man-especially for Universal films in the late 50's and early 60's.  Psycho and Spartacus are probably his most famous films.   I liked him a lot in Imitation of Life and Four Girls in Town.  

• Like 1

I too, liked him in his short-lived role in the TV version of DESTRY('64, 13 episodes).

Born JUAN VINCENT APABLASA, don't forget his 5 year stint as the U.S. ambassador to Mexico( '81-'86).

Class act indeed.  May he well rest in peace.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

Dang. He was one FINE piece of man.

Maybe TCM'll be able to wrangle ahold of this for the tribute:

ETA: Dang! this thing looks pretty EPIC, and it's a DOUGLAS SIRK film- sort of like WRITTEN ON THE WIND in SS Gear. Interesting that the trailer has the movie's title as A TIME TO LOVE when its official title is A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Swithin said:

So sorry to hear that! I worked with his wife, Constance Towers once. She was one of the loveliest and most generous actresses I ever worked with. A real class act, as Mr. Gavin was.

well I doan know. she got a little frisky temperament wise in those sam fuller films.  in The Naked Kiss here's a poor pathetic pedophile down on his hands and knees to her and she kills him by whacking him in the head with a telephone headset of all things. I think in the same film she's chasing after her pimp with a knife like a madwoman with no hair. hell,  they coulda used her in blue sunshine.

she did cool off a little for outer limits ep the duplicate man with ron randell.

:)

an enraged bald connie

Related image

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

well I doan know. she got a little frisky temperament wise in those sam fuller films. :)

She did a lot of musicals. Here she is in a revival of The King and I. This excerpt is from a telethon, though she performed the show with Yul Brynner in NY and around the country. She was in a musical version of Anastasia (Anya) with Lillian Gish; and other musicals. 

047fc3d4e838469d59923f6feef376ef--lillia

Anya, with Lillian Gish

• Like 1

I love it when she appears on a "Perry Mason" episode and she is introduced with a shot of her legs - this woman was totally gorgeous.

I saw her on Broadway in "The King and I" TWICE.  Again, she was so lovely and she could definitely sing.

I recently enjoyed her and Jeffrey Hunter in John Ford's "Sergeant Rutledge".

She was involved in a case where a black recruit seemed to be the murderer.

17 hours ago, Fedya said:

He's survived by his wife of 43 years, actress Constance Towers.

I wish John Gavin and Constance had both starred in any film by Samuel Fuller. 

1 hour ago, rayban said:

I love it when she appears on a "Perry Mason" episode and she is introduced with a shot of her legs - this woman was totally gorgeous.

I saw her on Broadway in "The King and I" TWICE.  Again, she was so lovely and she could definitely sing.

I recently enjoyed her and Jeffrey Hunter in John Ford's "Sergeant Rutledge".

She was involved in a case where a black recruit seemed to be the murderer.

she's john wayne's high falootin' southern belle girl in The Horse Soldiers too.

• Thanks 1

John Gavin is surprisingly good in the Douglas Sirk film A Time to Love and a Time to Die, where he has the starring role. This film can sometimes be found on YouTube or various pirate websites, although only, as far as I know, in pan & scan versions. I'd love to see it on the big screen. TCM has had more access to Universal films in the last few years, so it's not impossible that it will eventually be digitized and shown in the proper ratio on TCM.

The film is about a German soldier in the last few months of WWII who falls in love with a beautiful girl (Lilo Pulver, who is excellent) and simply hopes to survive his time on the Russian front until the war is over. There's a fine cameo appearance by Thayer David (Professor Stokes on Dark Shadows), an old friend who has flourished under the Nazis and has a room full of hunting trophies. Gavin must carry the film, however, and he does so admirably.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

John Gavin's voice always sounded "amplified" in some way, almost like it was recorded differently than his co-stars. The effect is a bit difficult to describe. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

After seeing (and loving) HITLERS MADMAN, I would jump at the chance to see another Sirk directed war movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

John Gavin's voice always sounded "amplified" in some way, almost like it was recorded differently than his co-stars. The effect is a bit difficult to describe. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

I know what you mean, at least in the case of PSYCHO...The line where he tells the guy working in his hardware store to take his lunch outside and eat it always sounds like it was done in ADR to me. 

10 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I know what you mean, at least in the case of PSYCHO...The line where he tells the guy working in his hardware store to take his lunch outside and eat it always sounds like it was done in ADR to me. 

Sometimes the reason is that the director orders a voice over because the actor messed up a line,  wasn't loud or clear enough or it wasn't recorded 'just right' instead of re-shooting the entire scene.  

Not saying this is the case with Gavin.   

I love John Gavin, and I think he MADE the movie MIDNIGHT LACE great.

He is often disrespected, but he was terrific in his roles and I think he could have easily played NORMAN BATES (with Tony Perkins in his role in PSYCHO.)

2 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Yes, I know what you mean. I noticed this especially in TAMMY TELL ME TRUE. He voice seemed so deep, almost unnaturally so, with an announcer quality to it.

22 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

And kudos to him for having a long lasting marriage

Interestingly, it was his second marriage; his first ended in divorce.  Ronald Reagan actually had a longer second marriage.  Ernest Borgnine's last marriage was his longest, at close to 40 years, and Zsa Zsa Gabor's last (the eighth?) lasted longer than all the others put together.

31 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Interestingly, it was his second marriage; his first ended in divorce.  Ronald Reagan actually had a longer second marriage.  Ernest Borgnine's last marriage was his longest, at close to 40 years, and Zsa Zsa Gabor's last (the eighth?) lasted longer than all the others put together.

Well in some cases the second time is a charm while in Zsa Zsa's case it is the eighth!  

Universal-International wanted to make John Gavin a star - and they certainly succeeded in making him one.

But he was so very good-looking that movie-goers tended to overlook his talent.

• Like 1