Sign in to follow this  
Barton_Keyes

John Gavin (1931 - 2018)

43 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

I love John Gavin, and I think he MADE the movie MIDNIGHT LACE great.

He is often disrespected, but he was terrific in his roles and I think he could have easily played NORMAN BATES (with Tony Perkins in his role in PSYCHO.)

If you're suggesting a reversal of roles, well, I could buy John pulling off Norman, but somehow I don't see Tony as the "afternoon delight" love interest of Janet's.  And NOT because his acting wouldn't be up to it.  I mean, come ON ladies....which of the two would YOU rather roll around on a hotel bed with? ;)

Sepiatone(NOT gay, but.....)

As I said elsewhere, there's a place for actors whose job it is to allow the female lead to shine.  George Brent made a career out of it at Warner Bros. in the 30s.

Will we get a long, long thread on John Gavin's tuchus too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

well, I could buy John pulling off Norman,

I can't, no matter how you meant that.

• Haha 3

John Gavin was an American Hispanic-- his father had Chilean roots and his mother was from Mexico.

His real name was Juan Vincent Apablasa.

He was appointed US Ambassador to Mexico, 1981--1986, by a former fellow actor, Ronald Reagan. 

I always thought it was so cool that he was able to go into another profession after his acting career dried up. He was even qualified for the appointment being fluent in Spanish with a  BA from Stanford, having studied Latin American economics.

I saw Midnight Lace fairly recently for the first time and I was impressed with his performance as well as his accent.

He had a face that was just made for those Technicolor Ross Hunter Productions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/9/2018 at 7:16 PM, LawrenceA said:

John Gavin was never an actor that I would include as a favorite, but he appeared in 2 of my all-time favorite movies, both in 1960: Spartacus and Psycho. So I appreciate his contributions to those movies. He had a long and interesting life. R.I.P.

5f45c51775d72b15b18245d96d0234f6.jpg

JohnGavinVeraMilesPsycho.jpg

On 2/10/2018 at 9:01 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Dang. He was one FINE piece of man.

Maybe TCM'll be able to wrangle ahold of this for the tribute:

ETA: Dang! this thing looks pretty EPIC, and it's a DOUGLAS SIRK film- sort of like WRITTEN ON THE WIND in SS Gear. Interesting that the trailer has the movie's title as A TIME TO LOVE when its official title is A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE.

On 2/10/2018 at 12:20 PM, kingrat said:

John Gavin is surprisingly good in the Douglas Sirk film A Time to Love and a Time to Die, where he has the starring role. This film can sometimes be found on YouTube or various pirate websites, although only, as far as I know, in pan & scan versions. I'd love to see it on the big screen. TCM has had more access to Universal films in the last few years, so it's not impossible that it will eventually be digitized and shown in the proper ratio on TCM.

The film is about a German soldier in the last few months of WWII who falls in love with a beautiful girl (Lilo Pulver, who is excellent) and simply hopes to survive his time on the Russian front until the war is over. There's a fine cameo appearance by Thayer David (Professor Stokes on Dark Shadows), an old friend who has flourished under the Nazis and has a room full of hunting trophies. Gavin must carry the film, however, and he does so admirably.

I used to be confused by these two tall, dark and strikingly handsome actors, Tom Tryon and John Gavin.

Along with Spartacus and Psycho, my favorite John Gavin film is A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958)

An Anti-war film directed by Douglas Sirk, Distributed by Universal Pictures, and Based on the book by the German author, Erich Maria Remarque (of "All Quiet on the Western Front" fame), but set on the Eastern Front, during the days of Nazi Germany.
The film Featured John Gavin, Liselotte (Lilo) Pulver, Jock Mahoney, Don DeFore, Keenan Wynn, Thayer David, and the author himself (Erich Maria Remarque, in a small part), among many others in a fine cast.

Gavin effectively portrays a German soldier on the Eastern Front during the waning days of WW2.
After two years of fighting and witnessing atrocities, he is finally granted a furlough to return home to his family. But his town has become an unrecognizable shell of its former self, and he discovers his family has not been spared from the horror of war.
He struggles to find a few tender moments of forgotten peace with his wife.
When he returns to the front, the ending is perhaps even more confounding and poignantly tragic than in Remarque's better-known classic "All Quiet on the Western Front."

More tactically intimate in its depiction, but no less powerful than Kubrick's Paths of Glory (1957), this movie likewise made an indelible impression upon me at a young age.  

I too, Wish TCM would air it as part of a tribute to this fine up-coming young actor (at that time).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Damn Sir, you gave that movie ONE HELL of a sell!

Yes. I would like to see that one as well. I would be happy to rent it if it was available for online rental, but as far as I can tell, it is only available by purchasing a disc. As Lou Grant once said to Mary Richards "I don't wanna."

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this. Not a great actor, but certainly a great looking hunk!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 7:47 PM, Fedya said:

Interestingly, it was his second marriage; his first ended in divorce.  Ronald Reagan actually had a longer second marriage.  Ernest Borgnine's last marriage was his longest, at close to 40 years, and Zsa Zsa Gabor's last (the eighth?) lasted longer than all the others put together.

Well, Zsa Zsa was bedridden for many of those years and not in a position to divorce him......

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2018 at 5:23 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

Damn Sir, you gave that movie ONE HELL of a sell!

If I'm not mistaken I think TCM has shown this movie. Maybe once. I saw it once on tv many years ago.........

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

If I'm not mistaken I think TCM has shown this movie. Maybe once. I saw it once on tv many years ago.........

You are correct about that Hibi,
According to MovieCollectorOH's TCM Schedule Summary TCM has aired  A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958)  before (1x back in April of 2010 (almost 8 years ago).
I must have missed that showing because my last viewing predates TCM. Anyway, if they did it once perhaps, as part of a hoped for tribute, they can/will do it again?

It was, after all, John Gavin's big screen lead debut. And it's not like he played the lead in all that many movies.
It would also be an opportunity to say a few words about the author, Erich Maria Remarque (who passed away September 25, 1970), and a few of the notable character actors that are recognizably seen on TCM but never had the opportunity to receive any sort of homage from TCM, i.e. Thayer David (who passed away July 17, 1978), Keenan Wynn (who passed October 14, 1986), Jock Mahoney (passed December 14, 1989), and Don DeFore (whom passed December 22, 1993)...
Note: Liselotte Pulver is still alive and living in Switzerland.

http://moviecollector.us/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm

http://moviecollector.us/reports/Movies-Only_times-shown-&-last-scheduled.htm

• Like 1

I'm afraid the powers that be dont consider him a big enough star to merit a tribute and with Oscar month, the chances look slim. Thanks for the info. I thought it had been shown..........

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

I'm afraid the powers that be dont consider him a big enough star to merit a tribute and with Oscar month, the chances look slim. Thanks for the info. I thought it had been shown..........

Oh, I wasn't thinking they'd preempt any of the 31 Days of Oscar, but maybe afterwards... Perhaps a little "tribute" with maybe two or three of his most "popular" movies. I'm thinking that they could easily re-show SPARTACUS and PSYCHO, but I'd be satisfied if they at least re-aired A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE.
They've aired the others several times, but after eight years (and especially at this time) they really should (if they could) re-show this one at least a second time?  Especially since it is not "readily" available stateside except in VHS format (or in a VHS-DVD conversion). 
Here's to hoping.... :unsure:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Oh, I wasn't thinking they'd preempt any of the 31 Days of Oscar, but maybe afterwards... Perhaps a little "tribute" with maybe two or three of his most "popular" movies. I'm thinking that they could easily re-show SPARTACUS and PSYCHO, but I'd be satisfied if they at least re-aired A TIME TO LOVE AND A TIME TO DIE.
They've aired the others several times, but after eight years (and especially at this time) they really should (if they could) re-show this one at least a second time?  Especially since it is not "readily" available stateside except in VHS format (or in a VHS-DVD conversion). 
Here's to hoping.... :unsure:

Well, we'll see, but I remember other actors who died during Oscar month getting the shaft, like Ann Sothern.......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Well, we'll see, but I remember other actors who died during Oscar month getting the shaft, like Ann Sothern.......

Well Yeah, but that was Ann Sothern....
This is the guy who played Caesar in SPARTACUS!  B)

I hope that you realized I was just kidding, didn't you? ;)
I really secretly like Ann Sothern a lot :)

Ok. I was going to compose an angry retort......

Gavin starred in several Alfred Hitchcock Hours. The one where he played a deputy at a lake resort was a good one.....

• Like 1