[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
dadoonan

30 Days

16 posts in this topic

So far, this year's 30 Days of Oscar programming has been very disappointing. There have not been two movies in a row that I've wanted to watch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dadoonan said:

So far, this year's 30 Days of Oscar programming has been very disappointing. There have not been two movies in a row that I've wanted to watch.

It is 31 Days of Oscar programming and based on what I heard,  day 31 isn't disappointing.  :lol:

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, dadoonan said:

I like it. I just wish they didn't postpone silent sundays and Imports for one month. :( 

I liked quite a few of the movies shown, mostly the ones that don't get shown repeatedly. I enjoyed watching Nicholas and Alexandra. Te day devoted to documentaries was great, even though I had seen many of them already. I recorded Tess since it's been a few years since I have seen it. I enjoyed watching America America again.

When the schedule came out I was excited to see that Skippy was on the schedule. I have seen all best picture nominees except Skippy. Unfortunately, I don't think i will ever get a chance to make the trek down to UCLA to see East Lynne and The White Parade.

WELCOME dadoonan.  Despite what you read in response to this thread, everyone responding has felt(and expressed) some disappointment at times with TCM's fare at particular times.  I too, haven't seen much I wished to tune in to this year's "31 days" presentations.  But I've always realized it's TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES and NOT "SEPIATONE'S CLASSIC MOVIES" channel and went elsewhere for entertainment those nights TCM offered nothing that interested me.  Please don't let any contrariness here dissuade you from coming in often and expressing YOUR opinions or thoughts. ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 2

On 2/10/2018 at 10:49 AM, dadoonan said:

There have not been two movies in a row that I've wanted to watch.

What I wonder is why there hasn't been 'two movies in a row' that he didn't want to watch.

I'm not a fan of 31 Days because most of the films I have seen,  and because there are more post-studio-era films then I prefer,  but not because I believe most of the films are not good films.     

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What I wonder is why there hasn't been 'two movies in a row' that he didn't want to watch.

I'm not a fan of 31 Days because most of the films I have seen,  and because there are more post-studio-era films then I prefer,  but not because I believe most of the films are not good films.     

Studio era is pre-1965/1966, correct? Or do you have a different definition?

Today, there are 11 features being shown. 10 are from the studio era, one is from 1967.

Tomorrow there are 11 features being shown. 9 are from the studio era, one is from 1966 (right on the edge), and one is from 1972.

Tuesday is foreign film day, so the programming is more unusual.

Wednesday has 11 features being shown. All 11 are from the studio era.

I just wanted to illustrate that one's perceptions may be exaggerated based on your emotional reaction to the subject.

re: not being able to watch two movies in a row on TCM.  I just record what interests me and then watch them at my own leisure.  Thus, I could watch two movies in a row if I wanted to.

I think sometimes people need to stop relying on a channel to schedule everything to their absolute specification and pick and choose what they want to watch and then they can make any sort of schedule they want to.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Studio era is pre-1965/1966, correct? Or do you have a different definition?

Today, there are 11 features being shown. 10 are from the studio era, one is from 1967.

Tomorrow there are 11 features being shown. 9 are from the studio era, one is from 1966 (right on the edge), and one is from 1972.

Tuesday is foreign film day, so the programming is more unusual.

Wednesday has 11 features being shown. All 11 are from the studio era.

I just wanted to illustrate that one's perceptions may be exaggerated based on your emotional reaction to the subject.

Maybe this year's 31 Days is different than prior one???  I believe last year (or maybe the year before) someone here compare the overall percentage of NON studio-era movies shown the other 11 months to what is shown during 31 Days and there was a slight increase.   

PS:  I use 1968 as the end of the studio-era but others say it is a few years earlier then that.

PS #2:  I noticed I used 'most' instead of 'more'.   Clearly 31 Days does NOT have mostly NON studio-era movie, which is what post implied (which I have now corrected).     

Then there was the guy(DOBBS I think) who felt TCM shouldn't show ANY movies made AFTER 1960.

Sepiatone

I do like how TCM divided the movies up into categories this year, e.g. art direction nominees and winners in the daytime and art direction winners at night.

I too would have liked some more specificity from OP, who has vanished. I am unsure the motive behind becoming a member, making one post that expresses a strong opinion and then never following up on it, but they happen periodically. My best guesses are either: 1) The poster is a troll, who just likes going to various message boards and trying to stir up trouble; or 2) The poster is actually one of us, a regular, who has created a second identity to try to make it seem as if more people support his/her point of view. I have some doubts the latter scenario applies here. Surely a regular would know it's 31 Days, not 30 (unless that's part of the plan to appear more like a newbie! Ha ha it's certainly possible to overthink these things).

But yeah, I would like to know why the OP couldn't watch two movies in a row? I totally agree with James that this month always has the heaviest load of movies TCM airs regularly, which is a turnoff for many around here, but it's not like they're crummy movies! Last night in primetime was The Grapes of Wrath followed by Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. You couldn't watch those back-to-back? I did, even though I've seen both multiple times.

I dug back into one of my old threads to see if I'd broken down this year's 31 days lineup by decade, but I hadn't, just by studio. The full day of documentaries, which were pretty much all from 1960 or later, probably skews the numbers more modern than most previous years. This is a very unscientific analysis, but I've watched 30 movies so far in the first 11 days, almost all of them in primetime, and here's how they break down by decade:

30s 5
40s 7
50s 3
60s 8
70s 4
80s 1
90s 1
00s 1

All those 60s movies are from James' definition of the studio era, so 23 out of 30 would be studio era films. As I say, there's probably not much statistical relevance. I've been watching 31 Days since 2001 (the year, not the movie), and every year they show more modern films in primetime. The daytime hours get more of the older movies. So the over-representation of the 60s and 70s in primetime doesn't necessarily hold up if you look at every film they're showing the entire month.

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I too would have liked some more specificity from OP, who has vanished. I am unsure the motive behind becoming a member, making one post that expresses a strong opinion and then never following up on it, but they happen periodically. My best guesses are either: 1) The poster is a troll, who just likes going to various message boards and trying to stir up trouble; or 2) The poster is actually one of us, a regular, who has created a second identity to try to make it seem as if more people support his/her point of view. I have some doubts the latter scenario applies here. Surely a regular would know it's 31 Days, not 30 (unless that's part of the plan to appear more like a newbie! Ha ha it's certainly possible to overthink these things).

But yeah, I would like to know why the OP couldn't watch two movies in a row? I totally agree with James that this month always has the heaviest load of movies TCM airs regularly, which is a turnoff for many around here, but it's not like they're crummy movies! Last night in primetime was The Grapes of Wrath followed by Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. You couldn't watch those back-to-back? I did, even though I've seen both multiple times.

I dug back into one of my old threads to see if I'd broken down this year's 31 days lineup by decade, but I hadn't, just by studio. The full day of documentaries, which were pretty much all from 1960 or later, probably skews the numbers more modern than most previous years. This is a very unscientific analysis, but I've watched 30 movies so far in the first 11 days, almost all of them in primetime, and here's how they break down by decade:

30s 5
40s 7
50s 3
60s 8
70s 4
80s 1
90s 1
00s 1

All those 60s movies are from James' definition of the studio era, so 23 out of 30 would be studio era films. As I say, there's probably not much statistical relevance. I've been watching 31 Days since 2001 (the year, not the movie), and every year they show more modern films in primetime. The daytime hours get more of the older movies. So the over-representation of the 60s and 70s in primetime doesn't necessarily hold up if you look at every film they're showing the entire month.

Thanks for this data.   (I believe it should be "these data" since The Economist uses 'data' in the plural but that still sounds funny to me!).   

It looks like I overstated the point about 'more post studio-era films',  and that 'more modern films in primetime' is really what I had been observing.  

I'm with you on this/these data, and I have a piece of paper says that I can teach English in the public schools in my state, for whatever that's worth. I guess it is "these data" because that's how I always see it (I think "datum" is singular), but like you, it grates on my ear, so I usually say it the other way, even thought it's probably wrong.

37 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm with you on this/these data, and I have a piece of paper says that I can teach English in the public schools in my state, for whatever that's worth. I guess it is "these data" because that's how I always see it (I think "datum" is singular), but like you, it grates on my ear, so I usually say it the other way, even thought it's probably wrong.

I believe either singular or plural use is currently acceptable, though (according to Websters), some print houses prefer plural. I also prefer the singular (taking the data group as a single entity).

• Thanks 1