Debra Johnson

Our Vines Have Tender Grapes....anyone seen this movie? Question

4 posts in this topic

Watching it right now but I'm distracted by the below side plot.....(spoiler alert below)

What happened to Ingaborg?  Was her father molesting her?

49 minutes ago, Debra Johnson said:

Watching it right now but I'm distracted by the below side plot.....(spoiler alert below)

Reveal hidden contents

What happened to Ingaborg?  Was her father molesting her?

The movie never fully explains it, allowing the viewer to fill in the gaps. The cause of her death is not explained. If the movie were made now, I suspect many viewers would draw that conclusion, but I doubt it was intended in 1945. That is a movie which I have always liked and always watch it whenever I notice it is on.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, Thenryb said:

The movie never fully explains it, allowing the viewer to fill in the gaps. The cause of her death is not explained. If the movie were made now, I suspect many viewers would draw that conclusion, but I doubt it was intended in 1945. That is a movie which I have always liked and always watch it whenever I notice it is on.

ITA the whole situation would be a bit too sordid for the censors of that era (which is why it caught my attention as being incongruous) but what confuses me is that when the girls were giggling in class over something Selma has said, I thought they said that Selma has asked about Ingaborg's baby.  That's why I concluded she was being molested by her father, became pregnant by him and then killed herself.  I mean, whom else could she have been pregnant by as close a reign as her dad kept on her.

I think Selma's innocent comment which caused the older girls to giggle was something to the effect that God had been good to Ingeborg because he gave her a husband and a baby on the same day. The mention of a husband causes me to conclude that Ingeborg's father was not the baby's father but that some other male had taken advantage of this disturbed girl and that her father had tried, unsuccessfully, to prevent this sort of thing happening by keeping her out of school.  After Ingeborg's death, which occurred on the same day her mother died, Selma concludes that Ingeborg died because she missed her mother. 

• Thanks 1