Sign in to follow this  
papyrusbeetle

PILLOW TALK - the horror, the horror!

6 posts in this topic

Hilarious and sometimes creepy, it is fascinating to listen to the very young film people on the COMMENTARY TRACK of

PILLOW TALK (1959)

yes, those were strange times when this movie came out. Sex was a serious business. (All that would be over soon, of course, unless you were one of the women who got pulmonary blood clots from the wonderful new invention "the Pill", etc.)

Venereal disease doesn't seem to exist in the new people's universe, either!

Much worse (in their opinion) is the "fat-shaming" restaurant scene with the woman fictitiously named MOOSE by Rock Hudson.

And, of course it seemed only the rare lucky woman could work.

(Unless you remember women joined the work-force in a big way during WW1 , and never looked back. I guess no one ever told the young film critics this)

No one mentions that "cleaning Lady" Thelma Ritter never actually CLEANS, or anything else.

NO ONE mentions the critical beefs of the time about PILLOW TALK----that Doris Day's new york apartment would be a total fantasy--how could she afford this? (but, strangely enough, Rock Hudson's pad is quite reasonable looking for him).

22 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

Hilarious and sometimes creepy, it is fascinating to listen to the very young film people on the COMMENTARY TRACK of

"Pillow Talk" is one of my top ten comedies of all time. Rock Hudson gives his best comedic performance and Doris Day looks great and was one of the best actresses for comedy and giving a bit a of anger in her performance (it was hilarious when she was mad!) Tony Randall was hysterically funny as Hudson's neurotic pal. The sets and color were sumptuous and Doris has great singing scene at the piano with Roly Poly.

I am hoping you are joking about that commentary track, I have no faith in young film students if that is true. They need to get a sense of humor and stop being offended by 60 year old films.

• Like 1

What I love about Pillow Talk is the Perfection of all the supporting performances. Nick Adams, Lee Patrick, Marcel Dalio, Allen Jenkins and then there was Thelma Ritter. Thelma is the only supporting player who actually interacts with both Stars and steals the scenes away from Doris and Rock every time. She also has some of the best dialogue in the movie. And can she do the physical comedy stuff too.

The costumes, the sets, the Technicolor, everything works in this movie, but the casting--I think is the star.

As far as the "kiddies" are concerned, When they study more of American history and realize that you cannot understand the present or look to the future without knowing where you came from, then they will better appreciate and comprehend popular American cultural art.

The few I've been around want some kind of an award if they can tell you anything about the 1960s. Prior to that I don't think they believe the United States existed or there was some kind of a stone age.

Actually had one kid tell me that nothing before the atomic bomb mattered in history because there was no technology.

For real..?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

What I love about Pillow Talk is the Perfection of all the supporting performances. Nick Adams, Lee Patrick, Marcel Dalio, Allen Jenkins and then there was Thelma Ritter. Thelma is the only supporting player who actually interacts with both Stars and steals the scenes away from Doris and Rock every time. She also has some of the best dialogue in the movie. And can she do the physical comedy stuff too.

The costumes, the sets, the Technicolor, everything works in this movie, but the casting--I think is the star.

As far as the "kiddies" are concerned, When they study more of American history and realize that you cannot understand the present or look to the future without knowing where you came from, then they will better appreciate and comprehend popular American cultural art.

The few I've been around want some kind of an award if they can tell you anything about the 1960s. Prior to that I don't think they believe the United States existed or there was some kind of a stone age.

Actually had one kid tell me that nothing before the atomic bomb mattered in history because there was no technology.

For real..?

I completely agree with you re: history.  I cannot handle the people who have no interest in history.  There are so many fascinating things to study and to learn about how decisions made hundreds of years ago have evolved into the present day's current events.  I cannot even imagine being satisfied with only knowing about what is happening right now.  Boring! 

re: the technology thing.  That's completely ridiculous.  Every thing is a technology.  From the wheel to telegraph to smartphones, all technology.  These "kids" are probably thinking of technology in terms of smart phones and computers. 

• Like 1

The "cute" part of this commentary sort of apologizes for having to explain what a "party line" is.

Obviously the "commentators" have not seen one of the major hits of 1962, MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION,

where a fascinating "party line" is a major part of the plot, as well as a running joke.

.........................................................................................

They discuss the "gender-bending"/"gay-shaming" jokes that Rock Hudson delivers, (how ironic!),

as well as their amazement that women in 1959 had careers. ("Wow!")

But NO ONE mentions the much funnier (imho) film THAT TOUCH OF MINK (1962), which takes "gender-bending" to the front lines of today, with the great subplot of Gig Young and his Psychiatrist (Alan Hewitt).

The last shot of THAT TOUCH OF MINK is the future!

2 hours ago, papyrusbeetle said:

The "cute" part of this commentary sort of apologizes for having to explain what a "party line" is.

Obviously the "commentators" have not seen one of the major hits of 1962, MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION,

where a fascinating "party line" is a major part of the plot, as well as a running joke.

.........................................................................................

They discuss the "gender-bending"/"gay-shaming" jokes that Rock Hudson delivers, (how ironic!),

as well as their amazement that women in 1959 had careers. ("Wow!")

But NO ONE mentions the much funnier (imho) film THAT TOUCH OF MINK (1962), which takes "gender-bending" to the front lines of today, with the great subplot of Gig Young and his Psychiatrist (Alan Hewitt).

The last shot of THAT TOUCH OF MINK is the future!

Wow for such a “sophisticated” crowd that laughs at the dated aspects of the film, they sure sound like they’ve been living under a rock!