Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

Medical Marijuana vs Opioids?

60 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, JR33928 said:

Both Schumer's bill and Trump's long held view of MJ being a states rights issue should mean the feds would relinquish most control over MJ.Trump's view is extremely relevant since he is the prez.and can probably do much to put MJ on the road towards normalizing it for ppl to use.

Trump isn't trying to avoid anything,that's nonsense.His "states rights" stance on MJ isn't new,it's a long held view.There are old video's of him saying MJ should be a states rights issue.

A President's view is only relevant when they veto a bill that Congress has passed.  

1 minute ago, darkblue said:

I'm pretty sure the prison for profit industry is doing everything it can to make sure Schumer's bill doesn't pass.

And I'm fairly certain it won't.

The prison for profit industry isn't MJ's biggest enemy,it's probably the pharmaceutical industry followed by the booze industry.But MJ legalization isn't as far fetched as it may seem.Attitudes are changing and i think ppl have gotten sick and tired of the drug war.

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A President's view is only relevant when they veto a bill that Congress has passed.  

Can you imagine how Richard Nixon or ANY other prez would have responded to Schumer's bill??

Then think about a prez who believes it's a states rights issue,the first prez EVER to take that position...he won't be making anti-MJ speeches or trying to stand in the way of the bill...and that's worth a lot from my POV.

He could help the bill pass by not trying to get in the way.

13 minutes ago, JR33928 said:

But MJ legalization isn't as far fetched as it may seem

It'll be legal in Canada by July of this year. That's the plan, anyway.

But, you must remember, Canadian corruption is mostly on the left. American corruption is mostly corporate.

24 minutes ago, darkblue said:

It'll be legal in Canada by July of this year. That's the plan, anyway.

Ya know DB,i was just thinkin' that maybe,just maybe,just a WAG on my part,but it could be that the reason Schumer is introducing the bill now is cuz he knows Trump's "states rights" views on MJ and figures the time is right to do it,the wind has changed direction...i'm too much of a dreamer:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, JR33928 said:

Ya know DB,i was just thinkin' that maybe,just maybe,just a WAG on my part,but it could be that the reason Schumer is introducing the bill now is cuz he knows Trump's "states rights" views on MJ and figures the time is right to do it,the wind has changed direction...i'm too much of a dreamer:rolleyes:

I think the removal from class 1 listing is being propelled by business interests. There are quite a few states that now are allowing mj sales - BUT banking for the industry has been an ongoing problem, directly related to the class 1 status nationally. Banks are fearful of doing business under the current conflict in legal status.

31 minutes ago, darkblue said:

I think the removal from class 1 listing is being propelled by business interests. There are quite a few states that now are allowing mj sales - BUT banking for the industry has been an ongoing problem, directly related to the class 1 status nationally. Banks are fearful of doing business under the current conflict in legal status.

Just take a look at the republicans supporting MJ legalization and sales.They'll take care of the banking problem.Actually decrim at the federal level should take care of most if not all the banking problems.

At this early point I think this bill stands the best chance of passing and causing a real substantive change in drug policy since????...at least as far as MJ is concerned.Trump won't be rallying the troops against the bill like other prez'z would have due to his states rights views...maybe maybe maybe....but i'm a hopeless dreamer:rolleyes:

18 hours ago, JR33928 said:

Can you imagine how Richard Nixon or ANY other prez would have responded to Schumer's bill??

Then think about a prez who believes it's a states rights issue,the first prez EVER to take that position...he won't be making anti-MJ speeches or trying to stand in the way of the bill...and that's worth a lot from my POV.

He could help the bill pass by not trying to get in the way.

I believe a prez can't make a change like this by executive order,  and when that is the case to me it doesn't matter what position a prez takes until a bill is on their desk.   I.e. that is when the rubber really meets the road.

As for 'not trying to get in the way';   to me that is just an excuse for Congress to do nothing,  like they have done on so many other issues,  like immigration reform.    Again,  when the only power a prez has is words,  and the prez is like Trump that changes their POV on an issue like the wind changes direction,  I say Congress just ignores him, passes a bill and then see what he does.   This is what Congress did on the budget bill.   Trump complained and said it was a bad bill etc.. but the moron signed it.

Trump doesn't have the courage to veto a bill.    

• Like 1

What Is CBD Oil Really Used For?

Breaking down the benefits and some warnings.

"CBD, or cannabidol, is one of the non-psychoactive components found in the cannabis or hemp plant. That means it doesn’t get a user high, unlike marijuana. The ingredient has seen a surge in popularity, with people using it as a tool for a host of health issues.

CBD is available in oils, which is arguably its most widely known and often-studied form. (It can also be used in a vape pen, consumed through food like CBD gummies or added to items like creams and beauty products.) All sounds pretty magical, right?

Like with most health-related items, you should understand the benefits and limitations of CBD before you rush off and start using products like CBD oil. Below is a breakdown of just some of the things you should know, according to research and experts:.....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-is-cbd-oil-used-for_us_5b044f27e4b003dc7e46fef1?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Lawmakers In Illinois Embrace Medical Marijuana As An Opioid Alternative

"As we see the horrible damage inflicted by opioid use and misuse, it seems like a very low-cost and low-risk alternative," says state Sen. Don Harmon, a Democrat from Oak Park, Ill., and sponsor of the Senate version of the bill.

The Alternatives to Opioids Act would allow millions of patients to apply for temporary access to the state's existing medical cannabis pilot program. The bill, which passed on May 31, is now awaiting Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner's signature. Though the bill has bipartisan support, marijuana advocates have some doubts about whether he'll sign it, given his past opposition to medical cannabis.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/06/15/620080148/lawmakers-in-illinois-embrace-medical-marijuana-as-an-opioid-alternative?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180615

Under Republican majority, U.S. Senate votes to LEGALIZE hemp farming across the nation

Saturday, June 30, 2018 by: Mike Adams
Tags: agriculture, cannabis, decriminalization, federal law, harvest, hemp, Hemp Oil, Hemp Products, hemp seeds, laws, marijuana, Prohibition, Senate

12KVIEWS
Image: Under Republican majority, U.S. Senate votes to LEGALIZE hemp farming across the nation

(Natural News) One of the key goals of Republicans is to limit government, end absurd regulations and set farmers free to generate economic abundance across the nation. In a stunning move led by U.S. Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky), the United States Senate has now passed legislation that ends hemp prohibition and would allow farmers across the nation to cultivate hemp.

“The bill would legalize hemp, removing it from the federal list of controlled substances and allowing it to be sold as an agricultural commodity,” reports The Hill.

This is on top of President Trump’s recent announcement that he would work to end marijuana prohibition at the federal level.

Simultaneously, the FDA has just approved the first cannabis-derived prescription drug, made from purified cannabidiol (CBD). Alongside this approval, federal agencies are reportedly on schedule to remove CBD from Schedule I status at the federal level, allowing the CBD pharmaceutical to be legally sold nationwide. (Yes, isn’t it fascinating how interesting the government legalizes something when there’s Big Pharma money at stake…)

A “golden age” for U.S. farmers may be just around the corner, thanks to Republicans

The U.S. Senate’s decriminalization of the agricultural production of hemp could unleash a golden era of economic abundance for U.S. farmers. Hemp agriculture can produce hemp seeds, hemp oils, hemp protein, hemp fiber and literally hundreds of derivative products. Currently, thanks to insanely wrongheaded hemp prohibition laws in the United States, all those products must be imported from Canada or other countries. Should the U.S. House of Representatives join the Senate in passing this legalization law, we could see a true agricultural revolution across America (and a lowering of costs of hemp products).

All this activity begs the question, though: Why has it taken 80+ years to correct the massive propaganda hoax that led to the criminalization of marijuana in the first place? And how did the deep state maintain the propaganda so effectively across so many decades? Today’s Russia collusion hoax, by the way, provides a few clues: If the FBI, DOJ and left-wing media all conspire to repeat a lie over and over again, half the country will believe it.

The fake news media has been lying about cannabis for almost a century, just as they continue to lie about natural medicine, herbal remedies and anti-cancer nutrition. Honestly stated, the long-held belief that marijuana makes people crazy was fake news from the 1930s. Fake news has long been pushed by the establishment to deny us all access to natural medicine that grows like weeds. And now, they’re only legalizing it because they can no longer halt the tidal wave of awakening that’s happening globally thanks to readers like you.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:14 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I believe a prez can't make a change like this by executive order,  and when that is the case to me it doesn't matter what position a prez takes until a bill is on their desk.   I.e. that is when the rubber really meets the road.

As for 'not trying to get in the way';   to me that is just an excuse for Congress to do nothing,  like they have done on so many other issues,  like immigration reform.    Again,  when the only power a prez has is words,  and the prez is like Trump that changes their POV on an issue like the wind changes direction,  I say Congress just ignores him, passes a bill and then see what he does.   This is what Congress did on the budget bill.   Trump complained and said it was a bad bill etc.. but the moron signed it.

Trump doesn't have the courage to veto a bill.    

If he vetos the bill then you all be labeling it the "Trump Shutdown", like before.  

cropped-cropped-Natural-News-Logo-01.png

Trump to support ending federal prohibition of marijuana

06/11/2018 / By JD Heyes

Marijuana-Cannabis-Weed.jpg

Just a little more than 500 days into his first term, there are already signs that President Donald Trump will cruise to reelection in 2020. 

The economy is not just humming along, it’s roaring. Wall Street is up; housing starts and values are up; retirement earnings are up; unemployment is at historic lows; the U.S. military is regaining its predominance; and the president has slashed and burned scores of burdensome regulations.

He’s picked the right battles in our neverending culture war. He’s delivering on his pledge to “Make America Great Again.”

Now he’s set to sign off on a policy that will no doubt shore up his core support and even win him some converts.

As reported by The Marijuana Moment, Trump — on his way out of the White House to the G-7 summit in neighboring Canada — said he “really” supports legislation co-authored by Sens. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass, and Cory Gardner, R-Colo., that would give states back more of their constitutional autonomy as it pertains to the authority to decide their own marijuana usage laws.

“I really do. I support Senator Gardner,” he said in response to a reporter who asked whether he backs the legislation. “I know exactly what he’s doing. We’re looking at it,” Trump said. “But I probably will end up supporting that, yes.”

The bill is called the “Strengthening the Tenth Amendment Entrusting States (STATES) Act,” and in part, it would “amend the federal Controlled Substances Act to exempt state-legal marijuana activity from its provisions.”

In addition, it also provides new legal protections for banks that work with lawful cannabis businesses while legalizing industrial hemp. 

Since Colorado and Washington state passed laws in 2012 legalizing recreational pot use, those states have been in violation of federal law which continues to prohibit such use. Then-President Obama decided that he had “bigger fish to fry” than pursue legal cases against both states, and POTUS Trump’s administration initially appeared to be moving against those and other states who have legalized pot use. 

A positive thing for Trump

This bill, if it passes, will obviously fix the legal imbalance between federal law and state laws regarding marijuana use. (Related: Legal marijuana sales expected to hit $75 billion by 2030, say analysts.)

The legislation was introduced late last week after Gardner and POTUS came to an agreement that the White House would support it if the Colorado Republican agreed to stop blocking Justice Department nominees following Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ move earlier this year to rescind Obama-era guidance that generally protected cannabis laws.

“It is a positive sign that President Trump’s first cannabis comment as the Commander in Chief was support for the STATES Act. The real question is how will Speaker Ryan and Leader McConnell react,” NORML Political Director Justin Strekal told Marijuana Moment. 

“The burden is now on the congressional gatekeepers to pass the bill so we can finally end Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s legal ability to infringe upon the progress we have made in 46 states and unshackle state-lawmakers to end criminalization once and for all,” he added.

Thus far, the website reported, nine states have legalized marijuana for recreational use for adults over the age of 21. Several others permit the use of pot for medicinal purposes such as pain control. 

“In 2012, Coloradans legalized marijuana at the ballot box and the state created an apparatus to regulate the legal marijuana industry.  But because of the one-size-fits-all federal prohibition, state decisions like this put Colorado and other states at odds with the federal government,” Gardner said in a statement on his Senate website. “The federal government is closing its eyes and plugging its ears while 46 states have acted.”

This is a step in the right direction for returning power back to the states, as our founders envisioned.

Read more at MedicalMarijuanaUpdate.com.

TW-White.png
Pin-White.png
SI-White.png
MW-White.png
GAB-White.png
D-White.png
Masthead-Newsletter-Sep-2016.png

6,900VIEWS
Image: 10 Science-backed benefits of cannabis(Natural News) Cannabis may still be prohibited by the U.S. federal government, but that doesn’t mean the prized plant isn’t a medicine. While federal prohibition may make scientific research on cannabis harder to complete, many studies have shown that the plant has wide-reaching medicinal benefits. Research continues to show that for dozens of conditions, cannabis could be a natural solution.

As of 2018, 29 U.S. states have legalized cannabis for medical use. In the U.S., legalized medical cannabis is gaining more support than ever, with an 84-percent approval rating according to recent survey data.

Even the National Institutes of Health recognizes the medical benefits of cannabis – and it’s a federal organization. All this has left many people wondering why cannabis prohibition is still running strong in the U.S. But despite prohibition’s dampening effect on research, the science on medicinal cannabis continues to pour in. Here are 10 health conditions scientifically shown to have success with cannabis treatment:

1. Cannabis can relieve many types of pain

For chronic pain sufferers of any kind, cannabis can bring relief with fewer side effects and less risk than many mainstream treatments. Studies of patients with peripheral neuropathy have shown that pain reduction can be observed within a week of regular use. CBD, or cannabidiol, is thought to be the key pain alleviator here; reports say that it “reduces the inflammatory response and binds to TRPV1 receptors, which are capable of mediating antihyperalgesic effects.”

Sponsored solution from CWC Labs: This heavy metals test kit allows you to test almost anything for 20+ heavy metals and nutritive minerals, including lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, aluminum and more. You can test your own hair, vitamins, well water, garden soil, superfoods, pet hair, beverages and other samples (no blood or urine). ISO accredited laboratory using ICP-MS (mass spec) analysis with parts per billion sensitivity. Learn more here.

Chronic pain can come from many different sources, but for fibromyalgia patients, cannabis could be very effective. Studies also show that it can relieve other types of pain, like arthritis. While not every person with chronic pain finds relief from cannabis, many do. In fact, pain is the most common reason people ask their doctors for medical marijuana.

2. Relief from anxiety

In the right amount, cannabis has been shown to reduce anxiety and stress in users. However, the dose makes the poison: For many people, too much cannabis can cause anxiety to spike instead. CBD oil can also help reduce feelings of anxiousness.

3. Eases depression

Studies have shown that the infamous plant has anti-depressive benefits as well. Specifically, the plant compound CBD has been shown to exhibit similar effects on depression as pharmaceutical antidepressants.

4. Cannabis protects brain cells

Despite popular belief, cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant can actually help protect your brain – especially CBD. Sources say that CBD is “proven to reduce short-term brain damage and was associated with extracerebral benefits.”

5. Fights Alzheimer’s disease

In addition to protecting the brain against damage, studies have shown that THC, a compound in cannabis, can slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. In fact, the plant may help reverse the degenerative condition entirely.

6. Relieves the symptoms of MS

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a serious disease with no currently known cure. But studies have shown that cannabis can provide much needed relief to people who have MS – especially those struggling with painful muscle spasms. Muscle spasticity effects an estimated 90 percent of MS patients. Studies show that cannabis can help relieve this symptom; survey data indicates that as many as 97 percent of MS patients could benefit from it.

7. Eliminates nausea, increases hunger

Cannabis can help reduce feelings of nausea in patients suffering from cancer, HIV/AIDS and other debilitating conditions. Furthermore, in patients with poor appetite, the plant medicine may help increase overall tolerance of food.

8. Treats IBD

For patients with inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD), cannabis could be a novel treatment that provides symptom relief. Studies suggest that both THC and CBD (two well-known cannabinoids) play an important role in gut function – and the benefits can’t be ignored.

9. Cannabis reduces seizure activity

There is much to support the fact that cannabis reduces seizure activity in people with seizure disorders. There is a mountain of evidence which shows children with intractable seizures have experienced a drastic reduction in seizure frequency thanks to cannabis.

10. It prevents tumor growth

Studies have repeatedly shown that cannabis has anti-cancer benefits. One woman reportedly cured her breast cancer with nothing but cannabis oil in a matter of months.

The benefits of cannabis are seemingly endless – learn more at CBDs.news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/08/04/mcconnell-comer-legalize-hemp-marijuana-kentucky-219156

How a Pair of Kentucky Pols Are About to Legalize Hemp

The non-hallucinogenic sister plant of marijuana is a favorite with farmers, and it will get a lot easier to grow if Congress removes it

On nights that Congress is in session, Rep. James Comer, a farmer from Kentucky, lays down on a fold-up mattress in his office on the fifth floor of the Longworth building and hits the lights by 10:30. Before he does, he reaches for a small bottle of CBD oil (made from Kentucky hemp) and squeezes a couple of drops onto his tongue.

“If I miss a night or two and don’t take it, my joints hurt really bad, especially in my hands in the morning,” Comer, a dedicated recreational golfer, told me. “But when I take it, I don’t have any joint pain.”

For those unfamiliar with the federal government’s drug laws, it is worth pointing out that the Drug Enforcement Administration considers the substance Comer ingests each night to be as dangerous as heroin. So why would a sitting congressman, even one from a relatively safe Republican district, admit to a reporter that he takes an illegal drug … on government property?

The answer gets at the messy and fast-evolving terrain of marijuana drug policy and enforcement in the United States and the continuing standoff between the 46 states where CBD is legal and a federal government that has steadfastly resisted liberalization drug laws that date to Richard Nixon's first term. Comer’s home state is not one that has legalized medical marijuana, but the former state agriculture commissioner has a long history advocating for the legalization of hemp, marijuana’s non-psychoactive sister plant, which he considers a potentially lucrative replacement crop for farmers who once made their money off tobacco. And he’s not the only legislator from Kentucky who thinks that.

from the list of banned drugs. The DEA is not happ

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/california-law-erases-pot-convictions-1.4795379

California lawmakers pass bill to erase old cannabis convictions

State estimates almost 220,000 cases are eligible for erasure or reduction

A bill requiring California prosecutors to erase or reduce tens of thousands of marijuana criminal convictions was approved by the state legislature on Wednesday and now awaits Gov. Jerry Brown's signature.

When voters passed Proposition 64 in 2016 to allow adult use of recreational marijuana, they also eliminated several pot-related crimes. The proposition also applied retroactively to pot convictions, but provided no mechanism or guidance on how those eligible could erase their convictions or have felonies reduced to misdemeanours.

The bill passed by the Senate Wednesday orders California's Department of Justice to identify eligible cases between 1975 and 2016 and send the results to the appropriate prosecutor.

The state DOJ estimates that almost 220,000 cases are eligible for erasure or reduction. The DOJ has until July 1, 2019, to compile the list of eligible cases and forward it to the appropriate district attorney's office.

Prosecutors then have until Jul 1, 2020, to decide which cases on the DOJ list they want to challenge.

Since passage of Proposition 64, most California district attorneys have said they didn't have the resources to review their records to identify eligible cases.

Marijuana Now Possible Pain Alternative to Addictive Opioids in Illinois

Gov. Bruce Rauner has signed a law allowing medical marijuana to be used as a painkiller instead of highly addictive opioids.

The law the Republican signed Tuesday is effective immediately. It allows physicians to temporarily prescribe cannabis for pain relief as a means to combat a growing opioid-addiction epidemic.

The Illinois Department of Public Health reports that 11,000 people have died from opioid overdoses since 2008. Opioids caused nearly double the number of 2016 deaths as traffic accidents.........

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/illinois-marijuana-pain-alternative-491928851.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

31 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Marijuana Now Possible Pain Alternative to Addictive Opioids in Illinois

Gov. Bruce Rauner has signed a law allowing medical marijuana to be used as a painkiller instead of highly addictive opioids.

The law the Republican signed Tuesday is effective immediately. It allows physicians to temporarily prescribe cannabis for pain relief as a means to combat a growing opioid-addiction epidemic.

The Illinois Department of Public Health reports that 11,000 people have died from opioid overdoses since 2008. Opioids caused nearly double the number of 2016 deaths as traffic accidents.........

https://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/illinois-marijuana-pain-alternative-491928851.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_CHBrand

Note that insurance companies do NOT have to pay for cannabis since that would be a violation of Federal law, and therefore they don't.    

Amid 'mass confusion' on popular CBD products' legal status, Feds hold hearing

"....... CBD often comes from a cannabis plant known as hemp, which is defined by the U.S. government as having less than 0.3% THC, the compound that causes marijuana's mind-altering effect. CBD doesn't cause that high, but fans of the products claim benefits including relief for pain and anxiety.

For now, the FDA has said CBD is not allowed in food, drinks and supplements. But given the agency's limited resources, many do not expect the agency to enforce the position unless products make explicit health claims that could endanger people.

Adding to the confusion, some states like Colorado allow it in food and drinks. In New York City, where officials have warned it's not allowed in food and drinks, restaurants and stores have continued selling it.........

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/05/31/cbd-legal-fda-holds-hearing-fans-sellers-await-legal-clarity/1301537001/

Illinois House passes marijuana legalization bill, sends to Gov. Pritzker

Governor JB Pritzker said he applauded the passage of the bill as "the most equity-centric approach in the nation" to legalizing marijuana. The bill also has the support of Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx.

Pritzker said he looks forward to signing the bill into law. Recreational marijuana could be legal in Illinois as soon as January 1, 2020.

https://abc7chicago.com/politics/illinois-house-passes-marijuana-legalization-bill/5324375/

Haha, most of the posts are second hand reports. Now that "Medical Marijuana"  is legal in several states, I have three first-hand opinions from those with subscriptions. 

Marijuana immensely helps these individuals suffering from ailments such as Multiple Sclerosis and Crohnes Disease. None of these people want to smoke anything or buy from unknown sources and would much prefer taking a pill in a regulated dosage, even if double the cost, but it's not available here yet.

The benefits seem almost miraculous-I've personally seen someone in the midst of vomiting inhale marijuana and within seconds become completely normal, almost like a rescue inhaler for an asthmatic. One of them traveled out of state and brought some medical marijuana back for all to try. Every single one said it did not help relieve their symptoms at all. 

This leads me to think the psychotronic element of THC is part of the "cure". Maybe the THC switches something in the brain to not feel/detect pain or nausea? I recall Bill Maher saying there's a direct correlation between Trump's election and the rise of marijuana use.

While having chronic pain issues, I looked forward to the legalization of MEDICAL marijuana (& its' byproducts, such as CBD), I feel the full recreational use is a little premature as more study seems needed as to potential effects of long term use and potency regulation.

Government & manufacturers unfortunately are ONLY seeing potential revenue (taxes & profits) & don't appear interested in spending the time or money in proper scientific study <_<

Too bad, as 'the horse seems to out of the barn' now :rolleyes:

On 6/1/2019 at 3:12 PM, mr6666 said:

While having chronic pain issues, I looked forward to the legalization of MEDICAL marijuana (& its' byproducts, such as CBD), I feel the full recreational use is a little premature as more study seems needed as to potential effects of long term use and potency regulation.

Government & manufacturers unfortunately are ONLY seeing potential revenue (taxes & profits) & don't appear interested in spending the time or money in proper scientific study <_<

Too bad, as 'the horse seems to out of the barn' now :rolleyes:

Illinois Legalizes Recreational Marijuana Sales

It’s the first time a state has legalized the commercial sale of cannabis through the legislature.

......The new law, expected to go into effect on Jan. 1, permits residents 21 and older to possess up to 30 grams of cannabis and sets other parameters for weed products. Under the law, nonresidents may possess 15 grams of pot.

The measure also includes provisions for the governor to pardon people with low-level cannabis convictions in an effort to address the ways in which communities of color have been disproportionately harmed by pot laws. 

People with prior convictions for possession of up to 30 grams of cannabis may have their records expunged through a gubernatorial pardon as long as the crime was not associated with violence. Those convicted of crimes involving up to 500 grams could also petition the court to have their convictions vacated........

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/illinois-legalizes-marijuana_n_5cf1833ce4b0e346ce7e26c7?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

60 MinutesVerified account @60Minutes 1h1 hour ago

Tonight on 60 Minutes, meet Mike Moore, the self-professed “country lawyer from Mississippi” who took on big tobacco and big oil.

His next target? Manufacturers and distributors of opioids.

-----------------------------------------

Opioid Crisis: The lawsuits that could bankrupt manufacturers and distributors

The attorney behind a multibillion-dollar tobacco settlement in 1998 has turned his attention to the opioid epidemic.

And he wants drug companies to pay

.......They flooded the State of Ohio with these opioid pills that they knew would kill people.

Bill Whitaker: They knew would kill people.

Mike DeWine: If they didn't know it the first couple years, they clearly would've seen it after that. You can't miss it. When one year we had close to a billion-- a billion pain meds prescribed in the state of Ohio, you know, 69 per man, woman, and child in the state. And that lies at the feet of the drug companies. They're the ones who did that......

Mike Moore is using the same playbook he used against tobacco and more recently against BP for the Gulf Oil Spill: build legal and public pressure until the companies see no choice but to settle, and fork over billions.

Mike Moore: Here's the deal. There's a huge pill spill in this country. It's huge.

Bill Whitaker: Pill spill?

Mike Moore: Pill spill. Huge pill spill. It never should've occurred. Everybody's got some fault. But we have 72,000 people dying every year. Let's figure out a way to resolve this thing. You guys made billions of dollars off of this.

Take some of that money and apply it to the problem that you helped cause.......

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/opioid-crisis-attorney-mike-moore-takes-on-manufacturers-60-minutes-2019-06-30/