[[Template core/front/global/tcmTabBar is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
Stephan55

To Lorna

77 posts in this topic

To LornaHansonForbes I offer my deepest apologies. :wub:

In reference to your highly amusing (now defunct) thread reminding us of the Full Frontal Male Nudity On TCM (last) Friday (2/9/2018) when A Room with a View (1986) aired during prime time that evening (on our favorite channel), and which (in your last post in that recently deleted thread) you also reminded that said film is available for TCM ON-DEMAND viewing until this Friday, Feb 17, 2018 (for those interested in a rewatch). 

Having read through and enjoyed all of the posts in your thread I felt compelled to make one of my own in response to a few of the other posters.
I did so early this morning and, "heeding" your posted warning that the thread was possibly drifting into "questionable" territory (censor wise here), I carefully composed what I believed to be a relatively "moderator benign" yet somewhat entertaining and possibly enlightening post with which I was self pleased.
However, when I later attempted to return to your thread it was nowhere to be found.
I can only deduce that Again, and without warning, the moderator must have found something offensive in my post this morning that resulted in the extinction of your thread.
I do regret that I have denied the other board members who were also apparently enjoying the thread the opportunity to continue to do so.
In hindsight, I should have better used my time than composing my reflective "long reply" post, and kept my "offensive" comment/s (whatever they were) to myself...

Rest assured "Mod/s" This is not an attempt to resurrect the previous deleted thread, just an acknowledgement that it did exist, was evidently appreciated (humorously enjoyed) by many here (per the numerous views and four pages of replies, none of which were onerous), and my way of an apology to the OP for evidently becoming the straw that broke the Moderators back with my apparently deemed "offensive" writing regarding the subject matter.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Stephen55, I was looking for this thread earlier today and I couldn't find it or any explanation about its disappearance anywhere.  I figured it got too "hot" for the mods.

This also reinforces a point about nudity double standards and, mods, no disrespect but we do see photos here of women baring a lot of cleavage but when the men's bare torsos get to a certain point, the thread ends.  Plus, out of respect for anyone who might be offended, any private parts were blacked out.  In all fairness, I think we deserved some kind of TCM mod mention that the thread was closed.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Christine, and I do agree with you. In fact you were among the eight posters to which I replied in my post.
You wrote:
In the precode days women could be shallow and sex obsessed and then the code came in and the sex was discreet, to say the least.  By the time the 1950's came around, if a woman dared to have sex outside of marriage she would be tarnished and SUFFER FOR IT.  Men, of course, could fool around with anybody willing and that's just swell.  Double standard, just like the double standard for nudity in films.
By the way, I love all the hot photos even if the men's private parts are covered up.  Straight men who freak out at male nudity in films need to lighten up.

My response was:
Agreed!

I still find nothing in the above worthy of moderator deletion!
(even on these prudishly moderated boards)

• Thanks 1

Careful, Stephan55, tread lightly or this thread will mysteriously disappear before Miss Lorna even gets a chance to read it.  :)

Anyway, thank you for your response to my post.

• Like 1

I have commented before on the absurd contradiction of having non-production code movies to discuss with language still subject to production code restrictions.

• Like 3

@Stephan55 - I saw your post earlier today & cannot recall that it contained anything that would have pushed the thread over that fine invisible line. I can only assume that the overall naughtiness quotient of the thread was judged to gone beyond the family friendly point (though TBH, I thought that most of it was crafted with enough care to avoid causing direct offence).

• Thanks 1

When I first saw the title of the original thread, I figured it

wouldn't be too long before the TCM nannies made it disappear.

• Haha 3

IMHO, I think NO moderator should remove an ENTIRE thread because of the content of ONE POST.  Just remove that post and follow with a reasonably worded explanation. 

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Did I miss something? What was objectionable about the thread? If TCM can show male nudity on the screen, should it not be discussed, with images if necessary, on TCM's website?  Perhaps this is why TCM needs to relocate from the South -- it's being infected.

• Haha 2

Just now, Swithin said:

Did I miss something? What was objectionable about the thread? If TCM can show male nudity on the screen, should it not be discussed, with images if necessary, on TCM's website?  Perhaps this is why TCM needs to relocate from the South -- it's being infected by a bizarre, reactionary concept of morality.

What happened to the damn thread??? I got notifications over the wknd, but when I clicked on them, I got YOU DONT HAVE PERMISSION FOR THAT. Then when I looked for it, it was gone today. Some old biddy probably complained about it. Treat us like children here. :(

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

To LornaHansonForbes I offer my deepest apologies. :wub:

In reference to your highly amusing (now defunct) thread reminding us of the Full Frontal Male Nudity On TCM (last) Friday (2/9/2018) when A Room with a View (1986) aired during prime time that evening (on our favorite channel), and which (in your last post in that recently deleted thread) you also reminded that said film is available for TCM ON-DEMAND viewing until this Friday, Feb 17, 2018 (for those interested in a rewatch). 

Having read through and enjoyed all of the posts in your thread I felt compelled to make one of my own in response to a few of the other posters.
I did so early this morning and, "heeding" your posted warning that the thread was possibly drifting into "questionable" territory (censor wise here), I carefully composed what I believed to be a relatively "moderator benign" yet somewhat entertaining and possibly enlightening post with which I was self pleased.
However, when I later attempted to return to your thread it was nowhere to be found.
I can only deduce that Again, and without warning, the moderator must have found something offensive in my post this morning that resulted in the extinction of your thread.
I do regret that I have denied the other board members who were also apparently enjoying the thread the opportunity to continue to do so.
In hindsight, I should have better used my time than composing my reflective "long reply" post, and kept my "offensive" comment/s (whatever they were) to myself...

Rest assured "Mod/s" This is not an attempt to resurrect the previous deleted thread, just an acknowledgement that it did exist, was evidently appreciated (humorously enjoyed) by many here (per the numerous views and four pages of replies, none of which were onerous), and my way of an apology to the OP for evidently becoming the straw that broke the Moderators back with my apparently deemed "offensive" writing regarding the subject matter.

I didnt see your post. What was so offensive about it??????

• Confused 1

Actually Stephan, you have nothin' to apologize for here.

Ya see I TOO was keeping tabs on that thread just as it disappeared, and from what I could tell the REAL reason the moderators deleted it was right after Rich posted a picture of Tor Johnson au naturel in it.

I suppose you know how Rich is about all things Tor, doncha?!

(...and in THIS case I DO mean "all things"!) 

;)

• Haha 1

Dargo, I heard it was because in that photo, Tor had been drinking and thought his toupee was a merkin, which made the photo objectionable...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

IMHO, I think NO moderator should remove an ENTIRE thread because of the content of ONE POST.  Just remove that post and follow with a reasonably worded explanation. 

Sepiatone

I agree Sepia. If it was my post that caused the offense, then it should have been the only one edited in part or, if deemed absolutely necessary, deleted in full (with some appropriate Moderator explanatory). But in NO WAY should an entire thread be "vanished to the cornfield" esp. without any forewarning....

BTW, you were also among the eight posters to which I replied in my post.  

You wrote:
Odd that so far nobody mentioned EQUUS  or THE CRYING GAME or THE NAME OF THE ROSE.

Sepiatone

My response was:
In spite of the fine cast, I did not enjoy watching EQUUS (1977). Animal cruelty causes my bile to rise. 

I thought that THE NAME OF THE ROSE (1986), based on the book by Umberto Ecowas, was a very good medieval "Who Dun It" mystery.

(that one scene with a young Christian Slater and Valentina Vargas was a bit controversial at the time, but by today's "standards" rather benign.) 

I felt a bit uncomfortable with THE CRYING GAME (1992), but also found it to be a very well made, thought provoking film.
It reminded me of when I was a kid and was infatuated with this girl. She used to play this "what if" game with me.
She'd say, "would you still 'love' me if I was fat and ugly?  What about if I was in an accident, or lost my breasts? "
"What if you found out that I'd once been a boy?..."

Anything "too offensive" in the above???

• Like 2

My only real takeaway from THE CRYING GAME was HOW AWFUL Forrest Whitaker was in it. Like, I was only 13, but I distinctly recall HEAVY EYEROLL at his reads.

And then he ended up beating Peter O’Toole for an Oscar. Go figure.

(“Peter O’Toole”, heh heh.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And then he ended up beating Peter O’Toole for an Oscar. Go figure.

(“Peter O’Toole”, heh heh.)

Remember when "Peter" was censored on the boards when they first switched to the new software before the last new software? 

Those were the days.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I didnt see your post. What was so offensive about it??????

That appears to be the conundrum. However the thread existed prior to my post and vanished afterwards, so the conjecture is that mine was the one that made it happen?

BTW, you were also one the eight posters to which I replied in my post.  

You wrote:
LOL. I remember you had to subscribe to get it (online) I never did........Unsure if they stood up, sat down or what. (both sexes). No, it was really "on". Unsure how long.......

My response was:
I saw a couple of episodes of NAKED NEWS back when. It must have been on YouTube or something because I certainly didn't subscribe. The delivery I remembered was given by a prim and proper looking British lass, who started off wearing full apparel, hair up, glasses and all. Looked like a librarian type (think Dorothy Malone as the Acme Bookstore matron in "The Big Sleep"). She very objectively reported on real news events but then, gradually began to disrobe. Eventually the glasses were off, her hair was down, and she stood there in the full buff reporting as if she were still fully clothed. Sort of a non-provocative "matter-of-fact" striptease.
In another episode there were two girls co-anchoring and doing same. But the viewers attention could hardly be upon the "news" of the day.
I never saw any males "reporting" but then I only watched it a couple of times.

Didn't take long for the novelty to wear off.

Do you see "offensiveness" written anywhere there?

Just now, Stephan55 said:

That appears to be the conundrum. However the thread existed prior to my post and vanished afterwards, so the conjecture is that mine was the one that made it happen?

Maybe the moderator was on vacation and came back yesterday and saw "it" and thought "Egads! what is this nonsense?!" 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Remember when "Peter" was censored on the boards when they first switched to the new software before the last new software? 

Those were the days.

No, I do not, but that is pretty freaking hilarious.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually Stephan, you have nothin' to apologize for here.

Ya see I TOO was keeping tabs on that thread just as it disappeared, and from what I could tell the REAL reason the moderators deleted it was right after Rich posted a picture of Tor Johnson au naturel in it.

I suppose you know how Rich is about all things Tor, doncha?!

(...and in THIS case I DO mean "all things"!) 

;)

What a relief it is for me to hear that.
Now I could fully understand why someone would view Tor Johnson au naturel as being, well maybe repulsive to look at (especially in his later years), but couldn't the mods have just deleted that picture and left the rest of the thread intact? :D

• Like 1

It discouraged me to have my work scrubbed, especially as yesterday was my birthday AND I HATE MY BIRTHDAY and was already extra depressed.

I was going to post a review of SEVEN SAMURAI which I had just finished watching that morning – but IF my work (And the work of others) is just going to be vaporized, why bother?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Dargo, I heard it was because in that photo, Tor had been drinking and thought his toupee was a merkin, which made the photo objectionable...

I was hoping that you'd pop in here CaveGirl, because you were also  one the eight posters to which I replied in my post (twice).  

In one post You wrote:
I've never seen a Gay Indie Film. Though one would probably think I had considering the reactions of some wimpy men I've dated who freaked out at films that weren't even close to that extreme. For example, I remember watching the great Paul Verhoeven film, "The 4th Man" [1983] with a guy I was dating and there was some really mild scene between Jeroen Krabbe and some guy, and my date almost blew a gasket, and was flipping out saying "Oh golly, I can't watch this..." as if he was seeing the Hindenburg burn and was in shock over the loss of human lives. What a baby! Do you know how many films with full female nudity, any woman in the US who watches fairly many mainstream movies, has probably seen in a lifetime? Hundreds probably, but then some men who claim to be heterosexual go ballistic if there is any male nudity in a film, even if it is a guy getting out of a bed.

So if I get any Gay Indie films, I guess I will not be inviting any of the heterosexual men I know over, as they might go into cardiac arrest. Get a grip, guys...it is not catching through the tv screen or just from watching it through almost closed eyes!

My response to that post was:
After reading through all these enlightening posts I began a little self exploration as to the roots of my own aversion, not necessarily to FFMN, but to two (or more males) openly engaging in homosexual behavior in front of me.
I admit to a double standard here, as I find two women doing the same quite provocative (in the enticing sense), but I suppose that that derives from a common male fantasy of the Ménage à trois possibility.
I do not recall in elementary school having such same sex FFMN phobias.
I remember those long horse trough urinals we'd all flock to. Openly examining each others weiners and making observational comments, not understanding that some of us had been circumcised and others not, but recognizing that there were obvious anatomic differences.
Engaging in the jocular practice of urine "sword fights" with each other, which I am sure made all the girls envious at such an ability.
But somehow (perhaps with the advent of closed stalls and pubertal onset) during Junior high, and certainly by H.S. such an aversion transition became apparant.
In gym we still shared those open shower bays, but anyone whose eyes lingered too long on anothers "junk" could quickly be labeled a " f  a  g " and such shaming rumours would quickly spread and be whispered about among both sexes in school.
Perhaps that is the shared root of it. A commonly uncomfortable adolescent period and conditioning that persists into male adulthood in our society.

In any event, and for whatever reason, we (most of us "All American" guys) still carry that burden of  uncomfortableness, much to the chagrin of our female counterparts which have had to deal with prevalent female nudity and lesbianism on the "big" screen throughout their lives.

In another post You wrote:
I've been on the "road to ruin" since I read The Marquis de Sade's "Justine" in high school.

What's more salacious..."SBTL" or "Salo"?

Speaking of salacious though, I would be interested in seeing any of the blue movies supposedly starring an early Joan Crawford. I've seen some stills and she is really frightening in them and could scare anyone off sex for good, I believe.

My response to that post was:
It was also in H.S. that I first became aquainted with the writings of Marquis de Sade.
A friend of mine called to tell me that when he was walking home from school he kicked something in the gutter and discovered it was a book.
He picked it up and began reading some of it. He sad it was the most disgusting stuff he'd ever seen. It sounded unbelievable to me that such words were actually in print. So he gave me the book to read for for myself.
I did. And I admit that I was both shocked and titillated by much of what it contained.
It was a fat little paperback that contained the English translation of the misadventures of "Justine" and some other stories by this infamous author.
The book was too shockingly "good" to keep to myself, so I secretly shared it.
I secured a non-descript brown paper cover to it, and left it in a conspicuous location in school. Then I secretly observed to see who would pick it up and their reaction to it. It was amusing, to say the least.
I began to hear stories about this obscene "book" circulating in the school.
Sometimes I'd even catch a glimpse of it as no one saw fit to remove it's distinctive brown cover.
Eventually it was picked up by some teacher and sadly was removed from of our local circulation.
Still I obtained some devious delight in thinking that I had perhaps enlightened or corrupted some of my peers at that time.

Never saw the other, but I think Pasolini's Salo (1976) would have made Sade "proud".

I have also heard (read about) those blue movies supposedly starring an early Joan Crawford (and others).
It would not surprise me if some of that may be true as several young actors/actress' resorted to such activities as a means of "survival" before a few of them made it on the "legitimate" screen. And sadly some also felt the "need" to do so after whatever "fame" they had once attained waned... 

I think those two replies were probably as potentially "offensive" as I may have gotten in my post.
Don't know, but if this thread gets deleted after reposting them then I'll be fairly certain that this was the part that got Lorna's thread in trouble with the "law" around these parts....????

• Like 1