Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Tab Hunter on an island

12 posts in this topic

One of Tab Hunter's first films cast him as a marine whose ship is torpedoed by the Japanese. He manages to survive on a raft with a female lieutenant. They drift to an island and spend much of the story stranded and tempted by each other. This was made in the summer of 1951 when he was twenty. Costar Linda Darnell was twenty-seven and had been working in Hollywood for about ten years.

Screen shot 2018-02-13 at 7.19.39 AM.png

Based on a book called 'Saturday Island' the film was a British production, with exteriors shot in Cuba and Jamaica. Interiors were done back in England. It was exhibited in North America as ISLAND OF DESIRE in 1952. RKO released it in Europe as SATURDAY ISLAND. Stuart Heisler directed and he also worked on the script. 

I found this title on YouTube last night, and the cinematography is truly extraordinary. It's done in Technicolor, and the island setting is gorgeous. So are the two stars. Has anyone else seen it? It was panned by critics at the time of release but has since become a cult classic.

Screen shot 2018-02-13 at 7.15.53 AM.png

• Like 1

I love it.

It is a cult classic.

Tab was never more beautiful.

In his autobiograhpy, Tab said that Linda Darnell was very generous to him.

1fe46850413f6ee6de4f30cf33cd8430.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rayban said:

I love it.

It is a cult classic.

Tab was never more beautiful.

In his autobiograhpy, Tab said that Linda Darnell was very generous to him.

1fe46850413f6ee6de4f30cf33cd8430.jpg

They are both very beautiful.  ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I found this online:

Screen shot 2018-02-13 at 7.16.51 AM.png

I know I would have brought MY camera. Interesting that the name still hasn't been changed in the pre-release publicity.

I've seen the movie but I can't remember at what point the pants devolve into the loincloth. (He looks great in both.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I know I would have brought MY camera. Interesting that the name still hasn't been changed in the pre-release publicity.

I've seen the movie but I can't remember at what point the pants devolve into the loincloth. (He looks great in both.)

I'm rewatching it right now. The scenery is just amazing. I'm at the 44 minute mark...it's 91 minutes long, so that means I'm at the halfway point. They just spent their first night together on the island, and he's in shorts. I'm assuming he cut the pants he was wearing earlier. At least they've had him get progressively more tanned to add a sense of realism.

• Like 2

Tab Hunter's beauty alone in "Island Of Desire" must have made him a star.

Plus the fact that he obviously could act.

And do so competently with his co-stars. 

6110392196_27888ce661_b.jpg

• Like 1

He started wearing the loin cloth around the one-hour mark, right after he made love to her for the first time. The film is very frank in its depiction of sex. If this were made now, it would probably be more of a Jules & Jim thing, when the British pilot crash lands and joins them on the island.

Screen shot 2018-02-13 at 3.58.30 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

He started wearing the loin cloth around the one-hour mark, right after he made love to her for the first time. The film is very frank in its depiction of sex. If this were made now, it would probably be more of a Jules & Jim thing, when the British pilot crash lands and joins them on the island.

Sounds like a good candidate for jaragon's "Classic Films with a Gay Twist" thread.

• Like 2

Wow, I just finished watching it (again). The ending really gets me. I love how bittersweet their parting is. I wanted them to wind up together. I certainly didn't want her to be stuck with Donald Gray's character...he was an insufferable bore!

The critics were wrong to pan the film. It definitely is a classic.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rayban said:

Tab's beauty was too much for them!

tab-hunter-gay-marriage-scandal-5.jpg?re

Hmmm....What are the spurs for, Tab?

• Haha 1