Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Bud Cort Film Festival

47 posts in this topic

Some may scoff but even in the early days of  Bud's career a case could be made for giving him his own festival. 

I will begin the selection process by submitting the Robert Altman film, "Brewster McCloud".

Caution and Note to Stephan: all film performances of Bud's are worthy of inclusion and are welcome...unless they contain FFMN!

Next...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

a symbolic tribute to the fall of american liberalism...

:)

29 minutes ago, rayban said:

An idiosyncratic actor, whose work should be recognized.

It takes a rare brain to appreciate a rara avis!

Thanks, Rayban.

• Like 2

If it's an excuse to finally get Electric Dreams (1984 - no, not the Amazon series that always get me to notice "Great, they finally...oh, crap!") out of music-rights limbo and onto cable and disk in the US, I and my computer are all for it:

(There are exactly three last VHS tapes remaining on my shelf, and this is one.)  :angry:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Some may scoff but even in the early days of  Bud's career a case could be made for giving him his own festival. 

I will begin the selection process by submitting the Robert Altman film, "Brewster McCloud".

Caution and Note to Stephan: all film performances of Bud's are worthy of inclusion and are welcome...unless they contain FFMN!

Next...?

Oh damn, I wanted to say Brewster McCloud (1970)
Stacy Keach: "Bird doo doo, Brewster there's bird doo doo on the windshield.... Brewster!"
What a hilarious chaotic fantasy of a movie! Perfectly matched for the crazy chaotic world of 1970!

Well I could say another Altman classic satire of the day MASH which also features Sally Kellerman in a brief scene of FFFN.
But I think that a more insane match for Brewster (in which Cort plays the "romantic" lead) would be Harold and Maude (1971) with the ever amazing and equally silly and funny Ruth Gordon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

It takes a rare brain to appreciate a rara avis!

Thanks, Rayban.

Watching that little video clip from Brewster McCloud reminded me of when I sometimes have a "flying" dream.
I never have wings or "flap" my arms like an awkward bird, but rather I am running and jumping (or springing and leaping on all fours like a leopard) getting ever higher until I am flying. Other times I just sort of levitate like Christopher Reeve's Superman in that first movie, or like Jay Underwood in The Boy Who Could Fly.
But I sometimes find myself in a crowded environment like on an escalator in a large mall. I just decide to levitate to everyone's amazement, but often there is someone there who tries to grab my feet and legs and pull me back down.
I first began "flying" in my sleep when I was a kid. My nocturnal flight skills evolved as I grew older, peaked, and now appear to be in decline. I don't fly in my sleep near as often as I used to. Always a thrill when it happens though! Better than any sex dream I ever had.
Wonder what a shrink could make out of all that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw Bud Cort in a theater lobby (NYC) one Sunday afternoon.

His presence was so singular.

I did not know about the car accident that nearly ended his career.

And maybe someday I will see "Why Shoot The Teacher?".

Harold-and-Maude-1971.jpg

o_why-shoot-the-teacher-dvd-1977-bud-cor

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Watching that little video clip from Brewster McCloud reminded me of when I sometimes have a "flying" dream.
I never have wings or "flap" my arms like an awkward bird, but rather I am running and jumping (or springing and leaping on all fours like a leopard) getting ever higher until I am flying. Other times I just sort of levitate like Christopher Reeve's Superman in that first movie, or like Jay Underwood in The Boy Who Could Fly.
But I sometimes find myself in a crowded environment like on an escalator in a large mall. I just decide to levitate to everyone's amazement, but often there is someone there who tries to grab my feet and legs and pull me back down.
I first began "flying" in my sleep when I was a kid. My nocturnal flight skills evolved as I grew older, peaked, and now appear to be in decline. I don't fly in my sleep near as often as I used to. Always a thrill when it happens though! Better than any sex dream I ever had.

I dunno.  Might depend on whether or not you're NAKED when you're flying.  I think guys become shrinks just so they can hear people talk about going around naked in their dreams.  Probably keeping those notes in the bathroom, next to the HAND LOTION. ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I dunno.  Might depend on whether or not you're NAKED when you're flying.  I think guys become shrinks just so they can hear people talk about going around naked in their dreams.  Probably keeping those notes in the bathroom, next to the HAND LOTION. ;)

Sepiatone

Yuk!
Glad I fly with my clothes on.
Only had those embarrassing naked dreams when I found myself in a crowded classroom, and I'm the only one who is naked...
Or after emerging from a swim in the cold ocean on a crowded nude beach.
(that last one really happened!)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

Yuk!
Glad I fly with my clothes on.
Only had those embarrassing naked dreams when I found myself in a crowded classroom, and I'm the only one who is naked...
Or after emerging from a swim in the cold ocean on a crowded nude beach.
(that last one really happened!)

I suppose you used a variation of Costanza's excuse here when asked about it...

blog-0243649001364312784.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

HaHa, No, it happened way before Seinfeld, but the effect was still the same :wub:
Up till then, I don't think I fully realized just how well the body could literally draw everything into itself to protect itself from the cold...
And what was worse is I was so flamboyantly bold about diving in... And so embarrassed to come out that I remained there, shivering in the water trying to figure out what I could do to escape the predicament. 
I finally ended up swimming a distance further down the shore, and came out on a relatively unpopulated narrow strip that separated the "nude" beach from the regular one. I laid on my belly on the warm sand until my circulation (and 'normal' size) returned. Then strolled back up the shore to where my compadres were.
Later, when some of the girls I was with asked me to go into the water with them, I had to decline with a flimsy excuse, I think I said that there was a rip tide which was why I had to swim so far to get out of it.
I sure didn't want to go through that experience again! :unsure:

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

No, it happened way before Seinfeld, but the effect was still the same :wub:
Up till then, I don't think I fully realized just how well the body could literally draw everything into itself to protect itself from the cold...
And what was worse is I was so flamboyantly bold about diving in... And so embarrassed to come out that I remained there, shivering in the water trying to figure out what I could do to escape the predicament. 
I finally ended up swimming a distance further down the shore, and came out on a relatively unpopulated narrow strip that separated the "nude" beach from the regular one. I laid on my belly on the warm sand until my circulation (and 'normal' size) returned. Then strolled back up the shore to where my compadres were.
Later, when some of the girls I was with asked me to go into the water with them, I had to decline with a flimsy excuse, I think I said that there was a rip tide which was why I had to swim so far to get out of it.

Seein' as how there were never any nude beaches in our ol' neck of the woods or within any of the L.A. County beaches(that I know of anyway), I assume this all took place either down south along San Onofre or up north along those sorts of designated beaches in the Santa Barbara area.

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Seein' as how there were never any nude beaches in our ol' neck of the woods or within any of the L.A. County beaches(that I know of anyway), I assume this all took place either down south along San Onofre or up north along those sorts of designated beaches in the Santa Barbara area.

Actually it was that little sheltered beach south of Point Magu and north of Malibu at Point Dume, close to Zuma beach.
I feel certain that you must have gone there at some time or another. I was turned on to it in H.S.
There's a relatively steep rocky cliff near the hwy above that forms a small little cove (Pirates Cove) with a narrow strip of beach that is relatively sheltered by rocks from the cliff that go down to the waters edge on either side. It's not (or wasn't) an "official" nude beach, but people have stripped and bathed there forever. You have to climb over or swim around rocks to get to it.
It's where they filmed that edited end scene in THE PLANET OF THE APES (1968) where Taylor (Charlton Heston) is riding on his horse with Nova, and stops and says "They Finally Did It! They Blew It All Up!" as he gazes up at what's left of the stature of liberty and realizes that he was back on a 'future' earth all along.
They imaged in the statue, but a bunch of us were up there watching them when they filmed Heston in that scene.
Had the beach blocked off for that one. No nudists that day! :(

I think they also filmed part of that little infomercial against littering and pollution there, the one with "Iron Eyes Cody" where he pulls his canoe to shore and gets a tear in his eye looking at all the trash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM

We also used to get naked on the secluded little rocky beaches down from Palos Verdes, between Point Vicente and Portuguese Bend. Not far from where the old "Marine Land of the Pacific" used to be.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

No, it happened way before Seinfeld, but the effect was still the same :wub:

I told this tale before, but now it fits somehow, here it comes again....

My Mother remarried in 1959 when I was still 7 going on 8 (a few months later)  That winter, on one of the coldest December nights in a long time, I was at the kitchen table while my new stepfather was out shoveling the snow.  When he came in the side door, he could be heard stamping his feet on the landing floor making "B-r-r-r-r-r-r" sounds when my Mom walked over and asked, "Is it very cold out there Georgie?"  And he replied, "It's damned GRAPE NUTS weather out there!"  and my Mom quickly gave a sharp "SHH!, GEORGE!  The KIDS can hear you!"  But I was in the kitchen wondering what in the world BREAKFAST CEREAL had to do with cold weather! :D  

Took me about four or five years to finally figure that out.  B)

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

On 2/13/2018 at 11:48 PM, Stephan55 said:

Oh damn, I wanted to say Brewster McCloud (1970)
Stacy Keach: "Bird doo doo, Brewster there's bird doo doo on the windshield.... Brewster!"
What a hilarious chaotic fantasy of a movie! Perfectly matched for the crazy chaotic world of 1970!

Well I could say another Altman classic satire of the day MASH which also features Sally Kellerman in a brief scene of FFFN.
But I think that a more insane match for Brewster (in which Cort plays the "romantic" lead) would be Harold and Maude (1971) with the ever amazing and equally silly and funny Ruth Gordon.

I love the part where Maude shows Harold the Odorifics machine, and he gets to enjoy the subway smells but finally, the snow one. It's a magical scene...

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 1:30 AM, Stephan55 said:

Do you also dream in colour, Stephan? I'd ask Dargo that too, but he would not approve of the use of the "u" in the word "colour" sadly.

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 7:47 AM, rayban said:

I saw Bud Cort in a theater lobby (NYC) one Sunday afternoon.

His presence was so singular.

I did not know about the car accident that nearly ended his career.

And maybe someday I will see "Why Shoot The Teacher?".

Harold-and-Maude-1971.jpg

o_why-shoot-the-teacher-dvd-1977-bud-cor

You were so lucky! 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2018 at 1:19 PM, Dargo said:

blog-0243649001364312784.jpg

Definitely one of the funniest episode, Dar! Along with the Soup Nazi one...

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 1:38 PM, Stephan55 said:

HaHa, No, it happened way before Seinfeld, but the effect was still the same :wub:

Your remembrance is starting to remind me of a scene from some Bergman film, like "Persona" with Liv Ullman and Bibi Andersson or whatever. I bet Ingmar could have used your dream sequence and concocted a nice back story for one of his films like "Hour of the Wolf" or something.

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 12:38 PM, Stephan55 said:

It is not only cold which can cause that. I visit to a urologist can leave one with two navels:(

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 2:06 PM, Dargo said:

Darg, by the way did you know about Bud Cort's friendship with Groucho?

Now that is one strange connection for sure!

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I told this tale before, but now it fits somehow, here it comes again....

My Mother remarried in 1959 when I was still 7 going on 8 (a few months later)  That winter, on one of the coldest December nights in a long time, I was at the kitchen table while my new stepfather was out shoveling the snow.  When he came in the side door, he could be heard stamping his feet on the landing floor making "B-r-r-r-r-r-r" sounds when my Mom walked over and asked, "Is it very cold out there Georgie?"  And he replied, "It's damned GRAPE NUTS weather out there!"  and my Mom quickly gave a sharp "SHH!, GEORGE!  The KIDS can hear you!"  But I was in the kitchen wondering what in the world BREAKFAST CEREAL had to do with cold weather! :D  

Took me about four or five years to finally figure that out.  B)

Sepiatone

Huh? I still don't get it. Explain please, Sepia.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Huh? I still don't get it. Explain please, Sepia.

An explanation might well cause a bluenose nanny to sweep in and delete this thread;)

• Haha 1