Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Bud Cort Film Festival

47 posts in this topic

On 2/15/2018 at 2:24 PM, CaveGirl said:

Do you also dream in colour, Stephan? I'd ask Dargo that too, but he would not approve of the use of the "u" in the word "colour" sadly.

Dream in "Color" or "Colour", Of course, doesn't everybody?
Sometimes my "night-time" dreams are a little dark and grey, but my "day-time" dreams can be as colorful as whatever place I am. Esp. colorful and "florific" if I'm in some verdant country place during the spring or fall.

In fact I discovered that I possess all of my senses in my dreams.
I not only see whatever I'm dreaming about, but I hear all the associated sounds, can touch and tactilely feel things, and can even smell and taste things.

Sometimes when I'm dreaming I know that it is a dream while it is happening.
Sometimes I dream in third person as a mere observer to whatever is occurring. 
Other times the dream can be so "real" or fancifully real, that I am swept away and literally become part of it.
Sometimes I dream about frightful or horrible things, sometimes from actual past experiences, other times some sort of imaginative confabulation.
Sometimes I have a dream that is so sweet and wonderful that I would like to just remain in that dream state and never wake up.

The mind is such an incredible organ. I can't tell you how it does it, but it can make a pillow (for example) smell, feel and taste just like a.... well, whatever it is I'm dreaming about.  ;)

Isn't it the same for you?

Oh, I just had a thought... I wonder what someone who's been blind since birth "sees" in their dreams? :unsure:
Did anyone ask Helen Keller about such things? (in her case both sight and hearing lost as an infant)

CaveGirl said:

I love the part where Maude shows Harold the Odorifics machine, and he gets to enjoy the subway smells but finally, the snow one. It's a magical scene...

I used to have an "Odorifics machine"  (well, sorta)
I carried it around beneath my nose.;)
All I had to do to recreate a "magical scene" was raise my upper lip and sniff. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Your remembrance is starting to remind me of a scene from some Bergman film, like "Persona" with Liv Ullman and Bibi Andersson or whatever. I bet Ingmar could have used your dream sequence and concocted a nice back story for one of his films like "Hour of the Wolf" or something.

"Liv" and "Bibi" those names do sound familiar... They could have been a part of "that scene," but it was a very long time ago...;)

Well, I used to be a "wolf" so it would be understandable. B)
Actually I really do enjoy Bergman's films and for you to say such a thing, in jest or not is flattering, thank you. :)

On 2/15/2018 at 2:34 PM, Thenryb said:

It is not only cold which can cause that. I visit to a urologist can leave one with two navels:(

I didn't quite know how to respond to that. When I was a kid and shared some dire situation with a buddy we used to say to each other, "Well we can either laugh or cry, the end will be the same either way..." so we'd always just laugh. 
Yep, I suppose some uncomfortable apprehension or fear can have the same result.
Whenever I've been in really scary situations I've generally had clothes on, and when I didn't it was usually too dark to see, so I never noticed what was going on down there during those times.
I sorta figured it was each guy for himself, and if the "little guy" wanted to hide-out like an ostrich, or a baby kangaroo, while I did my best to get us outa there, then that was the least of my concerns at the time.
But I hafta admit, the image of two navels is something I hope I'll never have to see on myself. :blink:

On 2/13/2018 at 10:21 AM, CaveGirl said:

Caution and Note to Stephan: all film performances of Bud's are worthy of inclusion and are welcome...unless they contain FFMN!

There was a nude scene in Harold and Maude (almost). He's in bed with Maude, the morning after. He's blowing bubbles. (I was the original Harold and Maude fanatic, in 1971. I later met Ruth Gordon, and she autographed the book for me.)

haroldandmaude6.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/15/2018 at 10:03 PM, Swithin said:

There was a nude scene in Harold and Maude (almost). He's in bed with Maude, the morning after. He's blowing bubbles. (I was the original Harold and Maude fanatic, in 1971. I later met Ruth Gordon, and she autographed the book for me.)

You Lucky Guy!
I think Ruth Gordon was such an incredibly talented lady. Great writer (esp. with her husband, partner and collaborator Garson Kanin, very funny stuff), and wonderful actress. Whether the part was small or large, drama or comedy, always a joy to see her on the screen. Though I think that she really excelled in comedy.
She is one of those people that I would just like to sit and listen to hear talk about anything in her life for as long as possible. She seemed to have lived life to its fullest. And I am envious of any one who could say that they actually met her, leave off knew her well enough to have conversed with. Do you treasure that book? I bet you do! :D

9 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Darg, by the way did you know about Bud Cort's friendship with Groucho?

Now that is one strange connection for sure!

Ya know CG, now that you've brought this up, I do vaguely recall some Bud Cort connection to Groucho.

And so just now and after googling this thought, some of this has now come back to me. And, while reading the info about this, I found that Cort and Groucho shared the same Beverly Hills psychiatrist and would occasionally run into each other at his office, and thus striking up a close friendship.

This would eventually lead to Groucho inviting Cort to move into his home, and with this being during the time Erin Fleming was taking care of Groucho in his later years.

(...and with, as you may know, Erin having a rather sad ending to her life after Groucho's family fought her in court over control of his estate)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't you have loved to go out on the town with Bud Cort AND Groucho!

That would have been a night to remember.

Almost like the one you had with Jayne Mansfield!!!

On 2/15/2018 at 11:39 PM, Stephan55 said:

You Lucky Guy!
I think Ruth Gordon was such an incredibly talented lady. Great writer (esp. with her husband, partner and collaborator Garson Kanin, very funny stuff), and wonderful actress. Whether the part was small or large, drama or comedy, always a joy to see her on the screen. Though I think that she really excelled in comedy.
She is one of those people that I would just like to sit and listen to her talk about anything in her life for as long as possible. She seemed to have lived life to its fullest. And I am envious of any one who could say that they actually met her, leave off knew her well enough to have conversed with. Do you treasure that book? I bet you do! :D

I remember that scene well and there seemed to be a small group of people who found it distasteful, probably due to the age gap. But oddly enough, I always thought Ruth Gordon looked and acted like a teenager, so thought it was the greatest romance since Errol Flynn and Beverly Aadland!

Ruth Gordon could even make you like her as a Satanist working with Anton LaVey. Remember how she offered Rosemary the tea, after she was on to the plot about her hubby, Guy working with the satanic group to get the baby, and Ruth said something like "It's just Lipton tea, drink it!" Yep, a really nice Satanic lady for sure that only Ruth Gordon could bring to life. I don't actually believe in Satan, but if I did, I would want Ruth Gordon to be his earthly emissary.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I remember that scene well and there seemed to be a small group of people who found it distasteful, probably due to the age gap. But oddly enough, I always thought Ruth Gordon looked and acted like a teenager, so thought it was the greatest romance since Errol Flynn and Beverly Aadland!

Ruth Gordon could even make you like her as a Satanist working with Anton LaVey. Remember how she offered Rosemary the tea, after she was on to the plot about her hubby, Guy working with the satanic group to get the baby, and Ruth said something like "It's just Lipton tea, drink it!" Yep, a really nice Satanic lady for sure that only Ruth Gordon could bring to life. I don't actually believe in Satan, but if I did, I would want Ruth Gordon to be his earthly emissary.

Luv Ruth in everything. Even in that, ahem, "uncomfortable" scene with a much younger Cort.

In my later years when, I would "date" a girl considerably younger than myself, and the question of our "age difference" invariably popped up, I'd always respond, sort-of, off-cuff, with "I don't mind if you refer to me as your 'Daddy,' if you incest." (pun on "insist") that generally would elicit (pun for "illicit") a nice little seductive smile....   ;)

On 2/15/2018 at 8:49 PM, Stephan55 said:

CaveGirl said:

I love the part where Maude shows Harold the Odorifics machine, and he gets to enjoy the subway smells but finally, the snow one. It's a magical scene...

I used to have an "Odorifics machine"  (well, sorta)
I carried it around beneath my nose.;)
All I had to do to recreate a "magical scene" was raise my upper lip and sniff. :rolleyes:

This is very reminiscent [scent...get it?] of the Madeleines scene in Proust's ROTP, Stephan. He should have had an Odette Odorific Machine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stephan55 said:

Luv Ruth in everything. Even in that, ahem, "uncomfortable" scene with a much younger Cort.

In my later years when, I would "date" a girl considerably younger than myself, and the question of our "age difference" invariably popped up, I'd always respond, sort-of, off-cuff, with "I don't mind if you refer to me as your 'Daddy,' if you incest." (pun on "insist") that generally would elicit (pun for "illicit") a nice little seductive smile....   ;)

Uh, I think I smell an enforced thread deletion coming up, Stephan.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

This is very reminiscent [scent...get it?] of the Madeleines scene in Proust's ROTP, Stephan. He should have had an Odette Odorific Machine.

Ha ha, I trust that we are both referencing Marcel Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past" aka "In Search of Lost Time"
I have a digital compilation of his work in French with English translation.
Even in english I really get a kick from his very nuanced discriptions.

No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me.

I'd like another one of those cookies, please. ;)

33 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Uh, I think I smell an enforced thread deletion coming up, Stephan.

Uh, maybe they'll be a little more discerning this time and just delete the repugnant odor of my specific post/s. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

I do not know what triggered this memory. Maybe it was the mention of posts relating to beach activities coupled with a reference to Proust's Remembrance of Things Past. The memory is of a cartoon which appeared in the New Yorker in the 1960s or early 1970s. The cartoon was likely by Feiffer or Silverstein. I have tried in vain to find it online. A pale, skinny young man has gone to the beach and spots a lovely girl on a blanket reading a book. He tries to engage her by commenting on her reading Proust. She tells him to "blow" after which she races off with a young and tanned student of George Jewett or Charles Atlas. The young man dejectedly declares "It's going to be a long hot summer."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stephan55 said:

Ha ha, I trust that we are both referencing Marcel Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past" aka "In Search of Lost Time"
I have a digital compilation of his work in French with English translation.
Even in english I really get a kick from his very nuanced discriptions.

No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me.

I'd like another one of those cookies, please. ;)

Hard to believe with such a poetic lilt to his words, that he was heard to enjoy torturing rats, ain't it, Stephan?

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Hard to believe with such a poetic lilt to his words, that he was heard to enjoy torturing rats, ain't it, Stephan?

Well there were a lot of rumours about him.... some of which I hope were not true. :unsure:

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, Dargo said:

I suppose you used a variation of Costanza's excuse here when asked about it...

blog-0243649001364312784.jpg

TREMENDOUS SHOW

• Like 1

Cort also had a very small role as a weasel in 1995's powerhouse "Heat"

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thenryb said:

I do not know what triggered this memory. Maybe it was the mention of posts relating to beach activities coupled with a reference to Proust's Remembrance of Things Past. The memory is of a cartoon which appeared in the New Yorker in the 1960s or early 1970s. The cartoon was likely by Feiffer or Silverstein. I have tried in vain to find it online. A pale, skinny young man has gone to the beach and spots a lovely girl on a blanket reading a book. He tries to engage her by commenting on her reading Proust. She tells him to "blow" after which she races off with a young and tanned student of George Jewett or Charles Atlas. The young man dejectedly declares "It's going to be a long hot summer."

Your cartoon story reminded me of another cartoon story (also from long ago) and I can't remember at all where I first saw it.
Similar to yours in that there was this skinny, pale kid on the beach also not having any luck with the ladies. Whereas his friend seemed to have no problem at all. So his friend shares with him the secret of his success.
He tells him that what he needs to do is take a large potato and stuff it into his trunks, then nonchalantly stroll past any lady of interest, and he'd be guaranteed to received admiring glances and attention from them.
The next day they meet again on the beach and the skinny lad shares that he did exactly as he was instructed, but the attention that he received had been finger-pointing and laughter, not at all what he had been hoping.  He had no idea what had gone wrong.
So his buddy walks around him, looking at him up and down appraising the situation, and then says, "You're supposed to put the potato in the front of your shorts...." :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

The late Hal Ashby is among the biggest forgotten filmmakers of the 1970's, with this, "Coming Home" "Last Detail" "Being There" & more

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, Stephan55 said:

You Lucky Guy!
She is one of those people that I would just like to sit and listen to hear talk about anything in her life for as long as possible. She seemed to have lived life to its fullest. And I am envious of any one who could say that they actually met her, leave off knew her well enough to have conversed with. Do you treasure that book? I bet you do! :D

Se 1953's "The Actress" MGM with *"The Great: Spencer Tracy"-(strangely won a Golden Globe but was not up for another Oscar?) It's based on her-(Jean Simmons) as a young girl

• Like 1