60 posts in this topic

Here are the weekly links:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-04-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-04-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-04-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-04-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=CST&sdate=2018-04-29

Star of the month is William Holden.

Edit: There appears to be some technical difficulties. Some of the weeks were visible and now aren't, so check back later if they're aren't working for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Larry. Just checked a little while ago. Glad Bill Holden was selected. His hundredth birthday occurs on April 17.

SCREEN.png

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Hasnt he been SOTM before?

I am sure he has but no recollection of when. I think he was RO's favorite actor. 

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Screen-shot-2012-09-14-at-7.32.31-_PM.pn

Nancy Olson will be 90 years old this year

(The actress likes to tell the story of Mrs. Holden not too pleased to see Bill and Nancy in the kissing scene for the film.)

• Like 1

(1) Is there a reason why Ordet isn't a regular Easter movie?  Not that I'm complaining that TCM is showing Fanny and Alexander, but one would think it's more of a Christmas movie.

(2) Is there another reason why The Towering Inferno isn't shown on TCM very much?  Or why TCM couldn't show Fedora?

14 minutes ago, skimpole said:

(1) Is there a reason why Ordet isn't a regular Easter movie?  Not that I'm complaining that TCM is showing Fanny and Alexander, but one would think it's more of a Christmas movie.

(2) Is there another reason why The Towering Inferno isn't shown on TCM very much?  Or why TCM couldn't show Fedora?

I may be wrong, but I think TCM showed Fedora back when they had their Billy Wilder retrospective. 

57 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Stefanie Powers just filmed some interviews with Ben about Holden for that month. 

That should be interesting......

17 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Towering Inferno is a Fox film....I think Fedora is Paramount. Why they dont appear on TCM very often.....if at all.

• Like 1

I really like William Holden.  I am glad that he's been selected for SOTM.

It looks like TCM is doing a spotlight on Michael Curtiz.  He made a lot of great films, so that is also exciting.

4/2

In the Cool of the Day.  This film sounds interesting.  It's got Jane Fonda, Peter Finch and Angela Lansbury. 

Executive Suite.  I've seen this film multiple times, I just really like it. 

Dear Ruth.  A William Holden film I haven't seen.

The Fleet's In.  William Holden in a musical?! I really hope he sings. 

4/3

Invisible Stripes. A William Holden and a Humphrey Bogart film that I haven't seen.

4/4 

Private Detective 62.  A William Powell movie I've never even heard of, let alone seen. 

*This day has a bunch of pre-codes that I'll have to look more into to see if there are any more that I want to see.

4/5

The Nanny & Dead Ringer.  Two of the "old biddy" roles that Bette Davis did in the 60s.  I haven't seen these films before, even though I think I've recorded and lost them multiple times.

The Golden Arrow. A Bette Davis movie I haven't seen yet.

Bette Davis: The Benevolent Volcano.  Aside from the amazing title, I love documentaries and I love Bette Davis.  This is a win-win. 

The Lodger.  This film sounds really interesting.

4/6

Freaks.  I've always wanted to see this movie.

4/7

The Tyrone Power double feature: The Mark of Zorro and The Rains Came

The NOIR ALLEY FEATURE AT 9PM: Suddenly with Frank Sinatra.

4/9

William Holden films I haven't seen yet: Stalag 17, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Toward the Unknown, Force of Arms

4/10

Boots Malone.  Another William Holden film I haven't seen.  I've never even heard of this one.

Crossroads. A William Powell film I haven't seen. 

4/11

ERROL FLYNN DAY.  I REPEAT. ERROL FLYNN DAY.

(Okay, it's for the Curtiz spotlight.  But I standby what I said). 

I actually own all the films scheduled, so there isn't anything to DVR, but I know what I'm watching that evening! 

4/12

Conspirator.  An Elizabeth Taylor thriller.  It sounds interesting.

4/15

Julia Misbehaves.  The cast of this film sounds good: Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, Elizabeth Taylor, Cesar Romero. 

4/16

The World of Suzie Wong, I haven't seen this William Holden film yet.

Apartment For Peggy.  I've seen this film before, but I really enjoyed it and wouldn't mind seeing it again. 

4/17

The Late George Apley.  This film is featured during the Peggy Cummins tribute.  It features Ronald Colman and sounds like it'll be entertaining.

4/18

Flamingo Road.  I've been wanting to see this Joan Crawford film.

The Unsuspected.  I haven't seen this Claude Rains film yet. 

4/19

Uh oh... A Room With a View is on again! SCANDAL! 

4/22

Danny Kaye double feature: Wonder Man, A Song is Born

4/28

Meet the People.  A Lucille Ball musical that I've seen before but wouldn't mind seeing again.

I'm sure there are more, but that's what I see right now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thenryb said:

I am sure he has but no recollection of when. I think he was RO's favorite actor. 

Yes, when Alec Baldwin interviewed Robert Osborne in 2014 for the network's 20th anniversary, he asked him about both his favorite actress and actor. For actress, Osborne said Gene Tierney, which I think was pretty well known to regular TCM watchers, and then for actor, he said Holden. I will never forget Baldwin's reaction. He giggled like a little kid. I think he was delighted, because Holden was a favorite of his as well, and he liked hearing something of an unconventional answer, given all the actors Robert could have selected. It was one of my favorite moments in TCM history.

• Like 1

William Holden as SOTM and a Spotlight on Michael Curtiz.  Plus, lots of Billy Wilder due to the Holden salute. Definitely doing a "happy dance" in April.

• Like 3

on saturday, Apr 28, at 8p edt, The Quatermass Xperiment is scheduled. don't miss this one. that's the good news.

the bad news is TCM is skipping Enemies From Space, a very good sequel. instead, Quatermass is followed by the third in the series, Five Million Miles to Earth. a nice sequel, but i would have preferred Enemies.

• Like 1

Speedracer, you'll definitely want to see The Rains Came. Myrna Loy refers to Tyrone Power as a bronze Apollo, and he is. A good film, too. Stalag 17 (Holden's Oscar role) and Bridge on the River Kwai qualify as must-sees; with Sunset Boulevard these are probably the essential Holden films.

Suddenly is a taut thriller with Sinatra playing a villain. This is the point in Sinatra's movie career--with From Here to Eternity and The Man with the Golden Arm--where he was taking on challenging roles and working hard as an actor.

Flamingo Road has Joan Crawford as a carny gal no better than she should be who gets stranded in a Southern town run by corrupt sheriff Sydney Greenstreet. If you like Joan's melodramas, you'll like it.

The contemporary audience didn't want to see Greer Garson in a screwball comedy like Julia Misbehaves, but I like both her performance and the film. Elizabeth Taylor is young and beautiful.

If The World of Suzie Wong has ever been shown on TCM, it was long ago.

• Like 3

Most of the TCM Underground choices for April are repeats, but one that is a premiere bears mentioning: on April 6th is 1972's Night of the Strangler, from filmmaker Joy Houck (Night of Bloody Horror, The Brain Machine). It offers the dubious opportunity to see Monkee Mickey Dolenz in a horror movie. This one is fairly rare, too, and only has 81 votes on IMDb.

6ed5c215ca04c25ebc49133904b33cc5.jpg

The Strangler (April 6), The Brood (April 13), Repulsion (April 13), Evil Dead 2 (April 27), and Alone in the Dark (April 27) are all worth seeing if you haven't.

Red Sonja (April 20) and Hercules (April 20) not so much. The latter is a premiere. It features Lou Ferrigno vs Sybil Danning. Eye candy for all. It won two Razzies, for Worst New Star (Ferrigno) and Worst Supporting Actress (Danning).

herc_lou.jpg

sybil-danning-hercules.jpg?itok=mANrwQlo

• Thanks 1

I just finished my March list of what to watch/record....not quite ready for April yet. Looks like a great Jane Fonda line-up on the 2nd and fantastic Bette Davis' on the 5th-just one great movie after another in case there's something you haven't seen yet.

For Holden movies, I absolutely loathe GOLDEN BOY. It's the movie where I discovered my disdain for Lee J Cobb playing an Italian along the same insulting lines as Mickey Rooney in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS. I'll never forget one TCM poster's comment, "Holden deserves to be pummeled if only for that stupid wig he's wearing."

And speedy, if you've never seen FREAKS, do so. It was the first DVD I had to own. My favorite Wallace Ford role as Phroso...and the only screen time for several really famous sideshow "freaks" including my fave Johnny Eck (I visited his house & grave last year) and Schlitzie the Pinhead (which Bill Griffith's socially conscientious Pinhead is patterned on) Some find the movie exploitative, while others find it equalizing.

Also fun are more Tex Avery cartoons and Dogville shorts on Sat mornings and the early AM hours the odd pairing of fun comedy THE IN LAWS followed by excellent Cassavetes gem HUSBANDS.

Anyone interested in Susan Hayward should tune in for her boozy double feature I WANT TO LIVE and SMASH UP on the 29th.

There's quite a few titles I'm not familiar with & would like to hear your opinions about:

On 4/12 UNDERCURRENT '46 Kate & Mitchum directed by Minnelli (would have liked to be on that set!) and afterwards NIGHT MUST FALL '37 directed by always competent Richard Thorpe.

4/13 BAND OF ANGELS '57 Raoul Walsh directs Gable/Poitier and fave Yvonne DeCarlo. Never heard of this one before.

and 4/16 offers a Beery/Main pairing in A BIG JACK '49 which could be really good or a stinker. Any opinions?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kingrat said:

Speedracer, you'll definitely want to see The Rains Came. Myrna Loy refers to Tyrone Power as a bronze Apollo, and he is. A good film, too.

Oh, yes.  Love The Rains Came. Probably the best thing George Brent ever did, a wonderful cast with even the smaller roles played so well and, without giving too much away, one particular scene gives new meaning to the phrase:  "Don't drink the water."

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

sybil-danning-hercules.jpg?itok=mANrwQlo

Thank you for posting this picture, Lawrence. Let's all take another look, shall we?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

Oh, yes.  Love The Rains Came. Probably the best thing George Brent ever did, a wonderful cast with even the smaller roles played so well and, without giving too much away, one particular scene gives new meaning to the phrase:  "Don't drink the water."

Yes, If I do say so myself..........

• Like 1