Sign in to follow this  
universalkaiju

What's with Attack of the 50 Foot Women?

60 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Then there is the "remake,"  Attack of the 50 Foot Cheerleader.  A new classic from 2012. A Roger Corman production and an update of his 1995 Attack of the 60 Foot Centerfold.

Image result

What EXACTLY are those fire fighters doing??:blink: 

Or should I ask? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, hamradio said:

What EXACTLY are those fire fighters doing??:blink: 

Or should I ask? :lol:

Only Roger Corman really knows.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Judging by scale that is the 100 Foot Woman.:lol:

Wonder how accurate any of these movies and the posters are as to scale.

I enjoy this infographic. Some people have a lot of time on their hands, and use it creatively.

Movie Monster Size Comparison

moviemonsters_custom.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I enjoy this infographic. Some people have a lot of time on their hands, and use it creatively.

moviemonsters_custom.jpg

that last one is supposed to be a mutated robert culp from outer limits ep 'the architects of fear'

:)

• Haha 2

Just now, NipkowDisc said:

that last one is supposed to be a mutated robert culp from outer limits ep 'the architects of fear'

:)

"I got big!"

outer_limits_architects_of_fear_9212.jpg

• Like 1

YOWZA!  They're gonna need a LONGER HOSE! ;) 

Sepiatone

Yikes!  the "quote" didn't post!  ??

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheCid said:

Then there is the "remake,"  Attack of the 50 Foot Cheerleader.  A new classic from 2012. A Roger Corman production and an update of his 1995 Attack of the 60 Foot Centerfold.

Basically 50FW has become the archetype "Cheesy 50's drive-in movie" with people (especially Ni...you-know-who) who've never seen any of them in their lives.  

Throw in Dreamworks trying to make the CG Monsters vs. Aliens (2009) as their "Tribute to 50's monster movies"--now that, hey, we're using 3-D now, kinda like they did back then!--and, why, just look who takes over the plot as the central sympathetic story-focus protagonist:

monsters-vs-aliens-disneyscreencaps.com-6777.jpg.0a91468a059e062a90416c290dbe1764.jpg

(Why, we even get a satirical gag homaging the Amazing Colossal Man dart-throwing the giant syringe, pretty much the only single OTHER 50's Kitschy Sci-Fi Movie Scene anyone ever remembers in their lives without ever having actually sat down and seen one!)

50 Foot Centerfold was standard New Concorde direct-video softcore, but given that "Oo, we're homaging 50's MOVIES!", tried to turn themselves into a "pageant" to What People Think 50's SciFi Musta Been Like, with mad scientists and mutated hamsters and cameos by Russ Tamblyn and Tommy Kirk.  60 Foot Cheerleader was even further off the mark (oh, Roger, what happened after you went to cable and thought you had to compete with the Asylum?)--As it seems to be remaking everything producer Corman remembered about Centerfold, the lab, the camp humor, the mutant-experiment monsters, the cameos (watch John Landis embarrassed in a "tribute" cameo after he found out Corman wasn't directing it like everyone thought he was), the evil girl-rivalry...and seem to forget to have any story time left for an actual big cheesecake girl on a rampage.

Which leads us to:

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

And don't forget the 1993 HBO remake of Attack of the 50 Foot Woman starring Daryl Hannah.

...Oh, good lord, I'd rather forget that one.

That one managed to combine the worst of both stereotypes, the "All 50's drive-in movies looked like this one" myth, AND the other reason this movie gets quoted so often:  The wishful belief, mostly from women and gay men who never saw it, that the story was some "avenging feminist allegory", just because they know the poster and think Nancy really is going to spend the whole hour and a half picking up cars off the highway looking for "Harry!"  Even Jeffrey Katzenberg at Dreamworks picked up the myth-ball in MvA and ran with it, after he knew his Shrek-sequel bread was buttered on the female audience laughing at the anti-princess jokes, and the "Big female empowerment" cliche's (look, she's escaping a wedding at the beginning!) is slathered on so strategically and one-syllable thick, it almost makes Daryl Hannah's dour, rueful, crabby and consciously kitschy "social revenge fantasy" look graceful in comparison.

Like we constantly....constantly......(sigh) CONSTANTLY try to tell a certain plastic-model-graphic obsessed goofy-cult-line quoter who seems to forget how many times he's already posted it out of context, the script was originally supposed to be a generic standard Amer.Int'l woman-scorned B-potboiler, until execs had no idea how to sell it, and one wag suggested "Why don't we put a flying saucer in it and sell it to the teens?"  Famous last words.  In the real world, nobody who ever suffered through more than five minutes of the first hour, let alone the whole slogging mess, would ever mistake 50FW for a "feminist allegory", and in fact, would probably cringe at most of the faux-Joan Crawford hysterics Alison Hayes was forced to go through in the script before American International's last-minute bit of demographic rescue. 

But then, given that really there's only one goofy would-be symbolic-kitschy line any wannabe ever remembers from it in the first place (heard it, thank you!), maybe that's supposed to be the idea.  :rolleyes:

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

moviemonsters_custom.jpg

The "War of The Worlds" tripod and  Transformers are machines, not monsters. Here are some others including the "Pacific Rim" monsters.  

Anyone up for "Godzilla vs The Kraken"?:D

kaiju_size_comparison_chart_full.jpg

Some "Cloverfield" trivia...where it came from.  It's very hard to see this at the ending of the movie.

Unknown_object.jpg

5 minutes ago, hamradio said:

The "War of The Worlds" tripod and  Transformers are machines, not monsters. 

Who decided machines can't be monsters?

Some "Cloverfield" trivia...where it came from.  It's very hard to see this at the ending of the movie.

In the newest movie they really explain where it came from.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Who decided machines can't be monsters?

The real monster is inside that drives the tripod.

8502-deckel.jpg

In The Amazing Colossal Man, we get this "growth" chart. I assume the smallest figure is Herve Villechaize.

k0cffOt.jpg

• Haha 3

On 2/13/2018 at 3:58 PM, universalkaiju said:

On 2 of my posts here, people start talking about the 50 foot women even tough it has nothing to do with the topic. I'm not blaming anyone but it's just strange.

When you've been around here longer you will realize that any thread once posted has the potential of taking off with an entirely different life of it's own! As this thread clearly illustrates!
it's like giving birth to a very independently minded, precocious child, whom you can't control and must allow to go it's own way!
it's all in good fun, and most of us have learned to keep things light and not take anything personal! ;)

• Like 1

Nip, I think you've posted this before so it's got to be one of your favorites.  What would happen if the 50 Foot Woman got together with the Colossal Beast and they procreated?  Yikes!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ChristineHoard said:

What would happen if the 50 Foot Woman got together with the Colossal Beast and they procreated?  Yikes!

giant_baby-608x445.jpg

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Nip, I think you've posted this before so it's got to be one of your favorites.  What would happen if the 50 Foot Woman got together with the Colossal Beast and they procreated?  Yikes!

Better watch such talk here, Christine.

Ya see, I'll bet our moderator knows what the word "procreate" means, AND that the only way that such a thing ever takes place is through a very "naughty" little process known as.....

Dare I even say it? Okay, I will..."SEX"!

(...and I think by now you know how our moderator feels about such things, and even when such a "naughty" thing like that might just be subtly implied, doncha?!)

;)

• Sad 1

Dargo, Granted, I won't use the clinical "procreated" or that dirty word that you used that ends with "x".  How about "What would happen if the 50 Foot Woman got together with the Colossal Beast and they were visited by the stork?"? 

Now who's changing that kid's diapers?  The city's sanitation department?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Dargo, Granted, I won't use the clinical "procreated" or that dirty word that you used that ends with "x".  How about "What would happen if the 50 Foot Woman got together with the Colossal Beast and they were visited by the stork?"? 

Well, Paul here says he'd be up to the task, Christine!...

85d6cf-20150624-bunyan01.jpg

(...but he says somebody will have to look after his ox Babe while he's doin' it)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stephan55 said:

When you've been around here longer you will realize that any thread once posted has the potential of taking off with an entirely different life of it's own! As this thread clearly illustrates!
it's like giving birth to a very independently minded, precocious child, whom you can't control and must allow to go it's own way!
it's all in good fun, and most of us have learned to keep things light and not take anything personal! ;)

Speaking of which, here he is, and there he goes!

40 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

giant_baby-608x445.jpg

53 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Maybe the Mod would appreciate if we remained (KJv) biblically "correct" and phrased it like this:
"What would happen if the 50 Foot Woman knew the Colossal Beast and they begat? Yikes!" :rolleyes:
Now who's changing that kid's diapers?  The city's sanitation department or Paul Bunyan?

• Haha 1

Well, since we now have our 2 giants in a sensible & loving relationship & who have gone forth and multiplied - it's time to round out the behemoth family unit with a nice little pet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Okay, thank you. It was strange that's all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

They wouldn't be visited by the stork.  It'd have to be a PTERODACTYL !!

Sepiatone

• Haha 4