Sign in to follow this  
longtimer

programming changed

58 posts in this topic

TCM has changed.  I’m very disappointed.  Every time I sit down to watch -  what used to be "classic movies" - I find new programming.  A new classic, I guess.  I’ve lost my favorite place and I scroll the TV guide looking for another station playing 1940s, 30s, 20s American films like TCM use to play.  Very sad days.  

Previously, I would have been proud to wear a TCM T-shirt, but TCM is not my TCM anymore.  I must have missed the memo that this was going down.  

Sorry to say good-bye

• Sad 1

Or you could just watch the channel tomorrow, when there are 9 movies on from the time period you prefer. 

• Like 3

The “Wonen Who Live Together” segment is from “GOODBYE MR GORDON” it’s from the last season

i love their captions on the show “BLANCHE: A LESBIAN” “DOROTHY: ALSO A LESBIAN.”

• Haha 1

TCM wasn't created only to show studio-era movies.  As has been repeatedly stated, and which you may have not seen here, being new to the Messageboards, in the very first introduction made by Robert Osborne, he said the channel was to highlight stars and movies from the past as well as those from today.  And as has been repeatedly demonstrated, the percentage of movies from different eras has remained constant over the years, with a preponderance of studio era movies.  Of course, as time has passed, newer and newer movies have been shown.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Whoa, wrong button apparently 

Aw, what the hell, let's just have one thread for everything.  At the least, it would make discussion here a lot more lively.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I've seen variants of this "WHY DOESN'T TCM SHOW EXCLUSIVELY WHAT I WANT?" question every week since I've joined. It's all the same crap every time. At least check the older threads to see if people have asked this question before. Yikes. :rolleyes: 

I hear ya.    Note that these complaints tend to increase during 31 Days of Oscars or when TCM has some 'special' programming (I believe a few years back they showed the Hobbit Trilogy and I admit to learning a few new songs during that week!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longtimer said:

TCM has changed.  I’m very disappointed.  Every time I sit down to watch -  what used to be "classic movies" - I find new programming.  A new classic, I guess.  I’ve lost my favorite place and I scroll the TV guide looking for another station playing 1940s, 30s, 20s American films like TCM use to play.  Very sad days.  

Previously, I would have been proud to wear a TCM T-shirt, but TCM is not my TCM anymore.  I must have missed the memo that this was going down.  

Sorry to say good-bye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVA9hl9cDD4

• Haha 2

Just got back from a dinner date with the lady.  I see April has been posted.  I'll get that incorporated into my project, then come back and report the damage.  <_<

• Thanks 1

I certainly find some irony, which no one else has noted so far, of the user name Longtimer with the user status Newbie immediately underneath it ... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'm getting that Twilight Zone feeling. . . .

Am I mistaken, or did some posts disappear?  And have some posters been disappeared?

• Confused 1

Hey, I want to hear more about "The Wonen Who Live Together." What's a wonen, by the way?

• Haha 1

so,

since the redesign of the message boards, when i view them on my phone, they are teeny tiny.

posting on my phone is kind of akin to building a ship in a bottle, and it's real easy to hit a wrong button or two. i meant for that post to go in another thread, i think this was next to the thread and i must've hit the "next thread" button and replied without looking.

• Haha 1

Getting back here to the OP @longtimer.  Not trying to make any arguments or assertions.  Just some results from an ongoing project of mine.  This is one of several statictics reports that show hard numbers on what TCM has actually been showing, based on past schedules.  This particular link is dedicated just to full-length movies, showing how many they played from each decade, each year of operation.  It is all about proportion.  1998 and 1999 are only about half in, but they are still good for this purpose.  Same goes for this year as it develops (numbers shown up through April).
http://www.moviecollector.us/reports/3)unique-features_movies-only.htm

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, slaytonf said:

TCM wasn't created only to show studio-era movies.  As has been repeatedly stated, and which you may have not seen here, being new to the Messageboards, in the very first introduction made by Robert Osborne, he said the channel was to highlight stars and movies from the past as well as those from today.  And as has been repeatedly demonstrated, the percentage of movies from different eras has remained constant over the years, with a preponderance of studio era movies.  Of course, as time has passed, newer and newer movies have been shown.

We've been over this before, in other threads. Ted Turner acquired the MGM/UA library of titles up through 1986. So when TCM launched in 1994, that means eight-year-old films could have been included in the schedules, since they were in the TCM library. Turner did not go to all that expense to only show films from 1939, he intended for the channel to show everything he had acquired.

• Like 3

Yes, there have been some posts removed.  The one that said “don’t let the door hit me on the way out" and something about my opinion being “crap”.  The other post deleted was my reply.  

Whatever the reason for the change, makes no difference.  I’m not criticizing any of you for what you enjoy watching.  I’m merely trying to let TCM know that as a long time viewer - since they first came out - TCM has been a main staple in my life and now I am no longer finding the same programing and am looking elsewhere to find what I enjoy.    

It’s a shame TCM members of this online forum can’t be more gracious to other viewers - past or present.    

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, longtimer said:

Yes, there have been some posts removed.  The one that said “don’t let the door hit me on the way out" and something about my opinion being “crap”.  The other post deleted was my reply.  

Whatever the reason for the change, makes no difference.  I’m not criticizing any of you for what you enjoy watching.  I’m merely trying to let TCM know that as a long time viewer - since they first came out - TCM has been a main staple in my life and now I am no longer finding the same programing and am looking elsewhere to find what I enjoy.    

It’s a shame TCM members of this online forum can’t be more gracious to other viewers - past or present.    

Longtimer, perhaps if you would seriously consider the thought expressed earlier by Lawrence...

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Or you could just watch the channel tomorrow, when there are 9 movies on from the time period you prefer. 

...you might come to see that your perception about all this "TCM is changing and thus will stop viewing the channel" is more than a little off the mark here.

BUT, it seems in America now days that most people EVEN when presented with the facts of an argument which might prove another's "beliefs" on some issue to primarily be unjustified, seldom if ever changes the opinion or "beliefs" of the other.

And so "gracious" or not, what's the use in such a discussion anyway, I ask?

Ya see, we regulars around here see this sort of complaint lodged by one-time board users quite often, and it appears to us that first, it's a faulty assumption, and secondly it also appears to us that no matter what we might say to the complaint lodger, their opinion will not be swayed one iota from its present stance, as we seldom if ever see them post anything at all again after their initial complaint is lodged and after they've gotten this off their chest.

(...and once again, EVEN after said regulars might have been "gracious" in their replies)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, longtimer said:

You need to be more specific about what titles you object to being shown on TCM.  My guess is you are annoyed by all the 70s, 80s, 90s, even 2000s films.  It's true that TCM is showing more and more of them.  But as others have said, the MAJORITY of TCM showings are still 30s-50s films.  That's because those are the films TCM owns the most.  A cursory glance of the schedule of any day would reveal mostly 30s-50s titles.

I'm looking for alternatives to TCM also, but that is only because of the high cost of cable TV.  Streaming services like Filmstruck, Netflix, Amazon, etc., which cost $11 or less per month, all look very enticing.  Filmstruck is especially attractive as it contains many titles from the Criterion Collection and Janus Films, which TCM also shows from time to time.

• Like 1

As others have stated, its 31 Days of Oscar at the second, and it always skews a bit newer than usual. Typically more 70s and 80s films arrive for this month only, and some come from even later (like Antonia's Line last night, and the upcoming Blue Sky, Dead Man Walking, Braveheart, and There Will Be Blood). Typically, these films will appear only during this month. Harry and Tonto, a 1974 title on in a few days, has not been shown for about 4 years now, and is probably a one-off like many of these others. A few years ago, they arranged the films chronologically, and newer titles like Chicago and The Cider House Rules were on the schedule. They have not been back since.

TCM has shown some newer films since its inception. Within a few days of launching in 1994, they showed an R-rated film from 1981, Rich and Famous. Its always been a channel for many different eras, but as the stats shows, it is still heavily vintage. Doing some stats with moviecollector's figures above, about 87% of what TCM showed in 2017 was made prior to 1970. It is not going to change as they are already beloved for what they are, and they aren't going to monkey around with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, longtimer said:

Well, at least you are not one of those hit-and-run critics that start a thread like this with one initial post and are never heard from again.  You still do, however, fail to acknowledge the many attempts of posters to disabuse you of your misconceptions.  The best of these, of course, is MovieCollector's brobdingnaginan efforts at compiling a list demonstrating TCM's continuity.  But to paraphrase Paul Simon, people hear what they want to hear, and disregard the rest.  I'm afraid if you want to maintain your position, you will be the only loser by not watching TCM anymore.

• Like 4

I suspect the tension in this thread is in part the residual effect of past discussions where certain people objected to TCM seemingly showing films that are not only more modern, but also more liberal, more global, more diverse, etc. -- a programming style that doesn't sit very well with those who think TCM should air American-first, American-made films about good-old American values and leadership that the world emulates, and not the other way around.  Such opposing thinking is, of course, front and center in our current geo-political climate and is the hot-button issue of today, which sadly has crossed over from politics to practically every aspect of our lives.

The first major attempt by TCM at "social commentary" was those annual "Race in America" series of films that first occurred at least 10 years ago.  Those were great festivals of sort because they offered a lot of rarely seen films (at the time).  That was before social media, and I wonder what the reception was then.

20 minutes ago, DVDPhreak said:

I suspect the tension in this thread is in part the residual effect of past discussions where certain people objected to TCM seemingly showing films that are not only more modern, but also more liberal, more global, more diverse, etc. -- a programming style that doesn't sit very well with those who think TCM should air American-first, American-made films about good-old American values and leadership that the world emulates, and not the other way around.  Such opposing thinking is, of course, front and center in our current geo-political climate and is the hot-button issue of today, which sadly has crossed over from politics to practically every aspect of our lives.

The first major attempt by TCM at "social commentary" was those annual "Race in America" series of films that first occurred at least 10 years ago.  Those were great festivals of sort because they offered a lot of rarely seen films (at the time).  That was before social media, and I wonder what the reception was then.

Not sure it's wise to make such sweeping generalizations. People complained about the Race in America series. People are always going to find things to complain about if they are agitated about the handling of certain on-going cultural issues.

To be honest some of the social commentary TCM attempts does not fully work and can come across as didactic despite the sincerest intentions behind it. But that's really a separate issue which shouldn't be applied to someone going off on a rant about programming that seemed to offend them more because of the decades being represented or not being represented. There were liberal films made in the 1940s. Almost all of Dore Schary's productions at RKO and MGM in the late 40s were a form of liberal propaganda and so were Daryl Zanuck's biggest films at Fox from those same years.

The real confusion seems to be that the original poster is interpreting "classic films" as "old films" and obviously TCM's programming department interprets this differently. Also, there could be conservative-themed films from the modern era that the original poster might object to, just because they're newer.

45 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure it's wise to make such sweeping generalizations. People complained about the Race in America series. People are always going to find things to complain about if they are agitated about the handling of certain on-going cultural issues.

To be honest some of the social commentary TCM attempts does not fully work and can come across as didactic despite the sincerest intentions behind it. But that's really a separate issue which shouldn't be applied to someone going off on a rant about programming that seemed to offend them more because of the decades being represented or not being represented. There were liberal films made in the 1940s. Almost all of Dore Schary's productions at RKO and MGM in the late 40s were a form of liberal propaganda and so were Daryl Zanuck's biggest films at Fox from those same years.

The real confusion seems to be that the original poster is interpreting "classic films" as "old films" and obviously TCM's programming department interprets this differently. Also, there could be conservative-themed films from the modern era that the original poster might object to, just because they're newer.

But liberal films of the past were generally far tamer than today's counterparts.  There were liberal films made way back by D.W. Griffith, such as "Broken Blossoms," but they are now cringingly outdated to today's eyes.  I was being quite serious when I said certain people oppose to TCM's programming the same way they oppose to how the geo-political landscape of this world is going.  It may not be the view of the top poster, but certainly the view of many.  The anxiety from which such thinking originates is basically the same.  It isn't spelled out verbatim, but can be detected from codified speech: "I wish the world would go back to the one I grew up in," "we need good American values as in the past," "America should go at it alone as it did in the past, and it doesn't need the world," etc.  In other word, their minds are still stuck in the 1950s and haven't let go.  And who would blame them?  American at the time was at the top of the world.  If you were to live in that era, you wouldn't want to let go too (as long as you are a straight white person).  And you wouldn't let go all the cultural artifacts associated with that era: the movies, the stars, etc.  To this day, the world anywhere has yet to experience the euphoric existence of that era in the US, so we can't blame anyone for being a little too nostalgic and not letting go.

Well, certain people at TCM HAVE let go, apparently.  Maybe some of the older employees have retired and new, younger ones filled their places, so change is bound to be expected.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

As you know at the LBGT forum there is a thread that recommends TCM have a mini film series devoted to LBGT films.   Like the Race in America series that would upset certain folks (e.g. those folks DVD alludes to that want to go back to the 'good old days'). 

Of course one shouldn't assume that the reason someone complains about TCM's programming is because they don't wish to see 'liberal' films (or films associated with certain lifestyles).    I.e. it could be they just want more of 30s - 50s musicals.  Period. 

But sometimes there is a connection between one's politics as to why they don't like some of TCM programming or the direction they perceive TMC is going.   (or a host like Ben).