heatwave1

Godzilla

10 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, heatwave1 said:

I would loved to see some Godzilla movies

Then, gone over to Filmstruck, where they were streaming.

in the dubbed americanized Godzilla look for the side-splitting scene when Godzilla incinerates a cab with his radioactive breath.

the sound effect they used to simulate the cabbie being cooked is one of the most hilarious sound effects I've ever heard. it will have you laughing for several minutes.

dam I found it!

just after the 1:00 mark.

get ready to laugh.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

the cut the cabbie death scream sound just a bit short there.

A full-throated soprano scream it was. 

Godzilla is so misunderstood - all he wants is a cuddle & a nice cuppa.

5 hours ago, heatwave1 said:

I would loved to see some Godzilla movies

The original sans-Burr version turns up on TCM from time to time, along with a few other rubber suit rampages. A nice new print of it was aired a month or two back.

1 hour ago, limey said:

The original sans-Burr version turns up on TCM from time to time, along with a few other rubber suit rampages. A nice new print of it was aired a month or two back.

Yeah, when it comes to the Toho sci fi movies sometimes they air the original cut but other times they air the US dub for some reason. :unsure: 

34 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, when it comes to the Toho sci fi movies sometimes they air the original cut but other times they air the US dub for some reason. :unsure: 

I like that both versions of Godzilla see the light of day. The US version makes an interesting example of the perceived need for Americanization of a foreign language movie & TBH, there are far worse adaptations that have been inflicted upon other Japanese imports.

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The Japanese version was restored by Rialto, the part of the corporate parent family of Janus and Criterion--

Which is why we've been seeing more of the originals on TCM post-Filmstruck, and last year saw more of the goofier Ishiro Honda canon, although their licenses seem to be for both versions.