Det Jim McLeod

Your Choice For 1961 Best Supporting Actor Oscar

48 posts in this topic

TCM has been showing a lot of supporting performance nominations since last week. So I thought of one of my favorite years for this category where I saw all of the nominations. Choose who you would have voted for with your reason why.

THE NOMINATIONS

George Chakiris in West Side Story*

Montgomery Clift in Judgment At Nuremburg

Peter Falk in Pocketful Of Miracles

Jackie Gleason in The Hustler

George C Scott in The Hustler

*=actual winner

I would have voted for Clift. He was heart breaking as  the Jew who is sterilized by the Nazis.  In a huge cast of stars, he was still the one I would be thinking of after the film is over. 

• Like 2

Not to be too critical on a year you love, Detective, but that's a rather weak line-up, in my opinion. Out of those nominated, the only two that I would consider worthy winners are Clift and Scott, and my choice would be the latter, just by a hair. I don't think I would have even nominated the other 3.

I'm with you, Monty all the way.

Poor George Chakiris, three of the other nominees had loooooooooong careers, and all four are kinda immortal.

"and it is

NOT TRUE,

NOT TRUE

what you SAY!!!!"

judgment%20nuremberg%20montgomery%20clif

**JUST QUOTING THE MOVIE, LAWRENCE. NOT SAYING WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS NOT TRUE. IN FACT I'M PRETTY MUCH 100% IN AGREEMENT.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

judgment%20nuremberg%20montgomery%20clif

ETA: He looks kind of like a cousin of Count Von Count who did not get out of Hungary in time before the war started and he saw some **** go down.

I thought Jackie Gleason was pretty amazing.  I mean who can forget Minnesota Fats!

• Like 1

Anyone but Chakiris. 

Even though I didn't care much for the movie itself though, I think I have to go along with Clift, he did turn in an amazing, devastating performance. 

He actually turned in two great performances that year, the other was in THE MISFITS. Yet he did not benefit from this. That's the Oscars for ya....

• Thanks 1

I think I'm not quite as enamored with Clift in this movie as some other people due to having read his biography and knowing what condition he was in when they filmed it. His characterization was twitchy and kind of shell-shocked and a complete wreck, but that's partially (at least) because Clift was a wreck at that point. He'd been troubled his whole adult life, but after the accident that messed up his face, his tendencies to drink to excess coupled with drugs went into overdrive, and he was diagnosed more than once with substance-related psychosis. He couldn't remember his lines during filming, and was eventually told to try and just wing it. 

Don't get me wrong, I have huge respect for Montgomery Clift as an actor, and I think his reputation would have been on par with Brando, if not higher, had he not been an alcoholic and drug addict who got even worse after that damned accident. His performance in Judgment at Nuremberg, for me, is often tough to watch because what you are seeing is as much Clift as his character.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Don't get me wrong, I have huge respect for Montgomery Clift as an actor, and I think his reputation would have been on par with Brando, if not higher, had he not been an alcoholic and rug addict who got even worse after that damned accident. His performance in Judgment at Nuremberg, for me, is often tough to watch because what you are seeing is as much Clift as his character.

Totally agree.  I find his performance in Judgement at Nuremberg affecting, but more than a little disturbing, since you get the impression that Clift is a bit out of control. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Totally agree.  I find his performance in Judgement at Nuremberg affecting, but more than a little disturbing, since you get the impression that Clift is a bit out of control. 

That's what I loved both about the roles of Monty Cliff and James Dean when I was an adolescent-- I really identified with them because they both seemed to be controlled by others, like they had no real power over their own lives.

West Side Story was on a roll and George Chakiris had an unbelievably sharp, iconic dance performance there.

The only thing I could guess would be that when an actor is not really going to be marketable within the system, there's no point in giving him an Oscar for a great performance because he doesn't have a future in the business-- he's out of control. SAD

That was a tough year for the acting categories. I was rooting for Lenya for Supporting Actress; the other nominees were Judy Garland, Una Merkel, Fay Bainter, and the winner, Rita Moreno for West Side Story. (The Academy liked big musicals in those days.)

17 minutes ago, Swithin said:

The Academy liked big musicals in those days.

One of the reasons 31 days of Oscars gets little viewing from me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Swithin said:

That was a tough year for the acting categories. I was rooting for Lenya for Supporting Actress; the other nominees were Judy Garland, Una Merkel, Fay Bainter, and the winner, Rita Moreno for West Side Story. (The Academy liked big musicals in those days.)

Rita really gave the dramatic performance of her life and she deserved it-- in addition to the Fantastic dancing.

When Fred Astaire won the 1958 Emmy for Best Actor In a Single Performance,  " An Evening with Fred Astaire",  there was a lot of controversy about it and demands that he give it back because he wasn't really acting, just dancing.

He refused to give it back because he said dancing is acting-- and he knew how to do it and he did it well. 

So it was Fred Astaire that caused the TV Academy to rework their categories in order to shut a lot of jealous people up.

9 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

One of the reasons 31 days of Oscars gets little viewing from me.

The musical may be the most difficult achievement to be successful at in cinema. So many components go into it that it's mind-blowing - - so those who do achieve success with the musical genre, artistically as well as financially, deserve the highest recognition that the movie industry can bestow.

• Like 2

man, I hate musicals. the noise is so distracting. exceptions I like are...

1. mary poppins

2. oliver!

During the recent dead spot of winter, I went on YouTube and looked at a bunch of episodes of a soap opera I absolutely loved growing up in the 1980s- SANTA BARBARA. It was a fun walk down memory lane, I had forgotten how good some of the acting was and how cheap the overall production was too.

It was actually one the lowest rated soaps on TV while it ran, it got something like two or 3 million viewers a day.

The reason I bring this up is because halfway through its run they had a three episode arc with a walk on character who is a Mexican diplomat who is being protected by another character on the show.Like, no big role at all. Just three episodes on a very low rated daytime soap opera (not even GENERAL HOSPITAL or Y&R) they could’ve gotten any kind of day player from central casting 

The role was played by George Chakiris.

That’s right, 30 years after winning an Oscar, He was doing bit parts on daytime soaps.

George Chakiris was terrific in West Side Story, but I would have voted for Jackie Gleason for his dramatic role in The Hustler.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drednm said:

George Chakiris was terrific in West Side Story, but I would have voted for Jackie Gleason for his dramatic role in The Hustler.

George used to record on Capitol Records and I had several of his albums; they weren't bad at all.

After the Oscar he had some good opportunities and some bad opportunities-- some of his choices were poor. His career may have been different if he had had good management.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

During the recent dead spot of winter, I went on YouTube and looked at a bunch of episodes of a soap opera I absolutely loved growing up in the 1980s- SANTA BARBARA. It was a fun walk down memory lane, I had forgotten how good some of the acting was and how cheap the overall production was too.

It was actually one the lowest rated soaps on TV while it ran, it got something like two or 3 million viewers a day.

The reason I bring this up is because halfway through its run they had a three episode arc with a walk on character who is a Mexican diplomat who is being protected by another character on the show.Like, no big role at all. Just three episodes on a very low rated daytime soap opera (not even GENERAL HOSPITAL or Y&R) they could’ve gotten any kind of day player from central casting 

The role was played by George Chakiris.

That’s right, 30 years after winning an Oscar, He was doing bit parts on daytime soaps.

One of the best actresses I've ever seen in Classic Movies of the 50s and 60s was a woman named Constance Ford.

She ended her career, I should say spent most of her career, from  1967 to the 1992 on the TV soap opera Another World.

I can't tell you how many great actors and actresses I've seen on soap operas who really deserved better.

But sometimes people have to survive and they do what they know how to do best.

Bette Davis used to say that Oscar couldn't keep you warm on a cold night - - and I would just add that you can't really eat Oscar  and he won't pay the rent either, unless you want to pawn him. LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, Constance Ford aka ADA from ANOTHER WORLD, Which I also grew up watching.

she rocked on that show and I LOVE HER in A SUMMER PLACE (Seriously, she should’ve gotten a supporting actress nomination for that)

ANOTHER WORLD Was a New York show with New York actors, and they were nearly all really damn good. There was no shame at all in a role on AW

What surprised me about Chakiris’s role on SANTA BARBARA was that it was one of those “will you be having wine with dinner?” type parts. I mean, a bit part; a couple scenes no big juicy scene to play. And a *three(ish) episode arc at that, not even a recurring character or a regular part in which there is no shame. In fact Judith Anderson had a role on SANTA BARBARA for a time.

no shame in soap work, but yes shame for being an OSCAR WINNER and having a dozen dry lines on three episodes of #12 in the daytime ratings!

like, honestly, a hemorrhoid commercial would’ve been a lateral career move at that point.

• Like 2

Topic certainly goes along with tcm's  annual "#1 Days of Oscar" though

& like how perfectly a fellow TCM-ITE put together the Best supporting actor nominees for 1961

He woulda' voted for Montgomery Clift in "Nuremberg" did you know by that time the tragic actor was truly shattered as not only an actor but a human being though & of all fellow actors & a  living legend by then that had more then his share of utterly times in his then 61yrs *"The Great: Tracy" literally coaxed Clift through the superb epic drama.   All seemed fine after the long shooting, until UA had it's premiere in Berlin of all places & all were entering the theatre, all of a sudden Monty entered last or close & proceeded to act blized again, once inside he didn't get much better. Shooting with his finger at all patrons & the topper was & I think at flix conclusion, saw *Tracy & actually jumped up onto *Spencer's already damadged kidney's, riding him like *Spence were a horse up & down the ailes.   They say Clift finally passed out on the roof of a car in Berlin hours latyer, as for *Tracy, that was the final straw!

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, spence said:

Topic certainly goes along with tcm's  annual "#1 Days of Oscar" though

& like how perfectly a fellow TCM-ITE put together the Best supporting actor nominees for 1961

He woulda' voted for Montgomery Clift in "Nuremberg" did you know by that time the tragic actor was truly shattered as not only an actor but a human being though & of all fellow actors & a  living legend by then that had more then his share of utterly times in his then 61yrs *"The Great: Tracy" literally coaxed Clift through the superb epic drama.   All seemed fine after the long shooting, until UA had it's premiere in Berlin of all places & all were entering the theatre, all of a sudden Monty entered last or close & proceeded to act blized again, once inside he didn't get much better. Shooting with his finger at all patrons & the topper was & I think at flix conclusion, saw *Tracy & actually jumped up onto *Spencer's already damadged kidney's, riding him like *Spence were a horse up & down the ailes.   They say Clift finally passed out on the roof of a car in Berlin hours latyer, as for *Tracy, that was the final straw!

Spence-- I read that a few years before this Katharine Hepburn had helped Monty get through Suddenly Last Summer. He seemed a bit more in control at that time and I'm sure Elizabeth Taylor was helpful as well.

During the shooting there were press reports of problems and discord on the set. Several participants had fun with that by acting out on a still photo as a joke. But after the film was shot, Katharine Hepburn let it be known that she felt  Joseph Mankiewicz had been unduly harsh on Cliff. Reportedly she let it be known in a typical Hepburn way,  which means she either bit him, punched him or just spit on him.  You know how Kate was. LOL

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

One of the best actresses I've ever seen in Classic Movies of the 50s and 60s was a woman named Constance Ford.

She ended her career, I should say spent most of her career, from  1967 to the 1992 on the TV soap opera Another World.

I can't tell you how many great actors and actresses I've seen on soap operas who really deserved better.

But sometimes people have to survive and they do what they know how to do best.

Bette Davis used to say that Oscar couldn't keep you warm on a cold night - - and I would just add that you can't really eat Oscar  and he won't pay the rent either, unless you want to pawn him. LOL

PRINCESS, oops this is exactly what within 4 minutes ago I just got done ****in the moderators out once again for   Do you recall the long reply I logged-in? It immediately went in LA LA LAND!?

Among the toppers is I;m in dire pain & still tried to throw that together for others too & it was difficult-(NOTE: Though I've always had a policy, I never cheat & these things in movie history, Oscars,etc) must be directly from the brain & not a book & especially not from a computer    NADA seemed to matter though on that last attempt

THANX FOR CARING

G

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spence said:

PRINCESS, oops this is exactly what within 4 minutes ago I just got done ****in the moderators out once again for   Do you recall the long reply I logged-in? It immediately went in LA LA LAND!?

Among the toppers is I;m in dire pain & still tried to throw that together for others too & it was difficult-(NOTE: Though I've always had a policy, I never cheat & these things in movie history, Oscars,etc) must be directly from the brain & not a book & especially not from a computer    NADA seemed to matter though on that last attempt

THANX FOR CARING

G

Spence-- I hope you'll be feeling better soon.

I've been reading books about movies since I was in grade school. We had a good public library.  I think I was so fortunate to find a great  biography of Leslie Howard by his daughter when I was so young. There wasn't a lot of information in those days about movie stars apart from movie magazines, which I devoured. 

So many things that I read about years ago--I try to keep my brain intact by remembering them.

It's funny how things that you learned when you were young seem to stick with you.

Take care