Sign in to follow this  
Diana101

TCM Hosts

42 posts in this topic

I'm a fan of TCM. I hadn't yet been born when these movies came out, but I enjoy watching them. I think Robert Osborne was a wonderful host. I miss him. Ben mankiewicz is also an outstanding host. I was wondering why they let Tiffany Vazquez go. I heard that they didn't renew her contract. She looked a little nervous at first, however she started to strive. She even lost weight. I wish her all the best.  There's a new guy hosting during the day on Saturdays.

7 hours ago, Diana101 said:
I'm a fan of TCM. I hadn't yet been born when these movies came out, but I enjoy watching them. I think Robert Osborne was a wonderful host. I miss him. Ben mankiewicz is also an outstanding host. I was wondering why they let Tiffany Vazquez go. I heard that they didn't renew her contract. She looked a little nervous at first, however she started to strive. She even lost weight. I wish her all the best.  There's a new guy hosting during the day on Saturdays.

I think that Dave Karger is hosting on Saturday plus a couple of week nights just during this month. I think they’re bringing in a woman named Alicia Malone from Filmstruck to do the wraparounds on Saturday afternoons in the future.

Dave Karger is okay, but I prefer Ben mankiewicz. It would be great to see another woman hosting TCM. Tiffany Vazquez got booted out too soon. 

3 minutes ago, Diana101 said:

Dave Karger is okay, but I prefer Ben mankiewicz. It would be great to see another woman hosting TCM. Tiffany Vazquez got booted out too soon. 

I also wish that TCM would have renewed Vazquez's contract.   While she started off slow,  she improved and the last few times I saw her I felt she had found her groove.     

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I also wish that TCM would have renewed Vazquez's contract.   While she started off slow,  she improved and the last few times I saw her I felt she had found her groove.     

That's also how I feel, but I hope the new lass works out OK too.

Tiffany Vazquez looked really nervous and uncomfortable when she first started hosting TCM. But as time went by, she found herself. She became confident and spoke eloquently. She also lost weight and dressed nicer. It's too bad that some people didn't like her.

1 hour ago, Diana101 said:

Thank you. :)

Your welcome. :)

Are you a course? I wonder if I could pass you. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Welcome, Diana!

Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to see a host who looked like Dame May Whitty and who wrote her own copy about the films, based on her own experience of being a film fan of many years. Nothing beats knowledge gleaned from being there. In a similar vein, when Ben needed a vacation, get someone who looks like Roland Young, and has some film knowledge too based not just on film courses in college. Book knowledge is great, but if I want to hear about WWII, I'm gonna listen more to a veteran from the invasion of Normandy over some guy who just read about it in his history books.

Why shouldn't our elders, who have lived it, get to show their talents on TCM as a host or hostess?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Welcome, Diana!

Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to see a host who looked like Dame May Whitty and who wrote her own copy about the films, based on her own experience of being a film fan of many years. Nothing beats knowledge gleaned from being there. In a similar vein, when Ben needed a vacation, get someone who looks like Roland Young, and has some film knowledge too based not just on film courses in college. Book knowledge is great, but if I want to hear about WWII, I'm gonna listen more to a veteran from the invasion of Normandy over some guy who just read about it in his history books.

Why shouldn't our elders, who have lived it, get to show their talents on TCM as a host or hostess?

Well there are not many left that were 'there' and my guess is that few, if any,  would want to be host (which is a real job),  at the age of over 80. 

10 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well there are not many left that were 'there' and my guess is that few, if any,  would want to be host (which is a real job),  at the age of over 80. 

Ya don't know unless you ask, James. Look how long Burt Mustin was still in performance mode. Now if he were still alive I'd love to see him extrapolating about films.

Hey, maybe Betty White would like to give it a whirl. Of course she's more of a television star. Or maybe Angela Lansbury, who would be super. Just a thought, mostly impossible but one can dream can't they?

• Like 2

Just now, CaveGirl said:

Ya don't know unless you ask, James. Look how long Burt Mustin was still in performance mode. Now if he were still alive I'd love to see him extrapolating about films.

Hey, maybe Betty White would like to give it a whirl. Of course she's more of a television star. Or maybe Angela Lansbury, who would be super. Just a thought, mostly impossible but one can dream can't they?

I'm all for dreams and Lansbury would be great,   and she did do a film in 2017.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Diana101 said:
It would be nice to see some veteran actors/actresses from the golden age guest host on TCM. 

Find some who would be interested and fly them in for a day or two. They don't have to be all wrap arounds. They can just tell snippets of stories in between the films. I would grab as many as I could and get them on tape for posterity. Because these are stories only they can tell. Editing and all that can be done later.

I don't think you can ask anyone to do what RO did. Maybe that format should end with him. Try something new.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Diana101 said:
It would be nice to see some veteran actors/actresses from the golden age guest host on TCM. 

Why are you whispering? :)

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, laffite said:

Why are you whispering? :)

Nah, this is whispering...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Diana101 said:

How many are left?

While most of them are now gonethere are some who are still alive and kicking, such as Christopher Plummer, Sidney Poitier, Vera Lynn, Carol Channing. It goes on and on. Kirk Douglas, Vera Lynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Eva Marie Saint might be the oldest surviving stars.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Diana101 said:
While most of them are now gonethere are some who are still alive and kicking, such as Christopher Plummer, Rhonda Flemming, Sidney Poitier, Vera Lynn, Carol Channing. It goes on and on. Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland, and Eva Marie Saint might be the oldest surviving stars.

I wouldn't consider Christopher Plummer a golden age Hollywood star. The very tail end, at most. Regardless, I'm sure he has some good anecdotes. Poitier and Douglas are often too ill at this point to travel, and Kirk's stroke has left it very difficult for him to communicate. Olivia doesn't want to leave France, plus her age. I'm not sure what shape Eva Marie is in, although last time I saw her she was still looking and sounding good. I can't say much about Rhonda Fleming or Vera Lynn as I don't know much about them. And I'd be willing to pay extra to keep Carol Channing off the screen!

• Haha 1

I would like to see Christopher Plummer, Sidney Poitier and Margaret O' Brien guest host on TCM. She was in one of my favorite movies, Meet Me in St. Louis.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Diana101 said:
While most of them are now gonethere are some who are still alive and kicking, such as Christopher Plummer, Sidney Poitier, Vera Lynn, Carol Channing. It goes on and on. Kirk Douglas, Vera Lynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Eva Marie Saint might be the oldest surviving stars.

Doris Day's 96th birthday will be April 3rd, and she's still very sharp.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Doris Day's 96th birthday will be April 3rd, and she's still very sharp.

Yes. Doris Day is still energetic and active. Good for her.

8 minutes ago, Diana101 said:

Yes. Doris Day is still energetic and active. Good for her.

I don't believe Day has ever been on TCM as a guest host.   If that is true,  it is safe to assume she just isn't interested.    She is a very private person.