Sign in to follow this  
Diana101

TCM Hosts

42 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I wouldn't consider Christopher Plummer a golden age Hollywood star. The very tail end, at most. Regardless, I'm sure he has some good anecdotes. Poitier and Douglas are often too ill at this point to travel, and Kirk's stroke has left it very difficult for him to communicate. Olivia doesn't want to leave France, plus her age. I'm not sure what shape Eva Marie is in, although last time I saw her she was still looking and sounding good. I can't say much about Rhonda Fleming or Vera Lynn as I don't know much about them. And I'd be willing to pay extra to keep Carol Channing off the screen!

Your comment about the divine Ms. Channing is sacrilegious to those of us who love the theater. But you are right in the sense that, despite the occasional appearance on film, she's not a movie star. I wish the film version of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was truer to the Broadway original, which starred Ms. Channing. I didn't see the original, but I love the recording! It's about the flapper age, and Carol and Yvonne (Adair) made better flappers than Marilyn and Jane. 

The great Vera Lynn only made a few movies. Her most famous movie "appearance" is her recording of "We'll Meet Again" at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

Arlene Dahl (92) is spotted around NYC. I'd like to see her introduce a screening of Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Nehemiah Persoff is still with us -- at 98. He'd be a great TCM guest host.

image-some_like_it_hot_17.png?w=840

40 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I don't believe Day has ever been on TCM as a guest host.   If that is true,  it is safe to assume she just isn't interested.    She is a very private person. 

Doris Day has been out of the spotlight for so long. It doesn't seem like she's interested in appearing on TCM anytime soon. She spends much of her time helping animals.

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Are you saying he would be a great host in theory or do you know for a fact that he is well enough,  both mentally and physically, to be a guest host?

4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are you saying he would be a great host in theory or do you know for a fact that he is well enough,  both mentally and physically, to be a guest host?

Mr. Persoff has been painting in recent years, so I assume, despite the infirmities of age, he might be up to it. He has a website, and an email address!

http://www.officialnehemiahpersoffpaintings.com

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Your comment about the divine Ms. Channing is sacrilegious to those of us who love the theater. But you are right in the sense that, despite the occasional appearance on film, she's not a movie star. I wish the film version of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes was truer to the Broadway original, which starred Ms. Channing. I didn't see the original, but I love the recording! It's about the flapper age, and Carol and Yvonne (Adair) made better flappers than Marilyn and Jane. 

The great Vera Lynn only made a few movies. Her most famous movie "appearance" is her recording of "We'll Meet Again" at the end of Dr. Strangelove.

Arlene Dahl (92) is spotted around NYC. I'd like to see her introduce a screening of Journey to the Center of the Earth.

image-some_like_it_hot_17.png?w=840

"SOME people say ... but I say ..."

• Haha 1

Seeing as how we're suggesting some pretty old people to guest host here, and especially some who may or may not be up to it either by lack of volition or the possibility of ill-health, AND unless I've somehow missed seeing the following name being previously mentioned in this thread, I can't believe nobody has as yet suggested the name of one Norman Lloyd in this thread.

You see, just from what I witnessed just a year or two back, when Ben M. interviewed the man during a TCM special honoring him,  Mr. Lloyd, and even being 101 years old at the time, was just about THE most personable, interesting, articulate AND animated gent I've seen on any TCM special event presentation ever.

(...I mean heck, I know of PRESIDENTS in their SEVENTIES who don't have as much on the ol' ball as THAT amazing centenarian still has, people!!!)

LOL

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Seeing as how we're suggesting some pretty old people to guest host here, and especially some who may or may not be up to it either by lack of volition or the possibility of ill-health, AND unless I've somehow missed seeing the following name being previously mentioned in this thread, I can't believe nobody has as yet suggested the name of one Norman Lloyd in this thread.

You see, just from what I witnessed just a year or two back, when Ben M. interviewed the man during a TCM special honoring him,  Mr. Lloyd, and even being 101 years old at the time, was just about THE most personable, interesting, articulate AND animated gent I've seen on any TCM special event presentation ever.

(...I mean heck, I know of PRESIDENTS in their SEVENTIES who don't have as much on the ol' ball as THAT amazing centenarian still has, people!!!)

LOL

I'd like to see him introduce The Green Years and a few of his other 1940s films. Dean Stockwell could join him for The Green Years intro.

the-green-years.jpg?w=584&h=438

Norman Lloyd as Adam Leckie in The Green Years

• Like 1

I suspect that what people posting in this thread want is someone who grew up loving and studying the movies, who interacted with the actors, directors, producers, etc. Who may have been an actor also, but was mainly a film student, ie another R.O. I think we have seen the last of those just as we have seen the last of the Ken Murray's who film Hollywood parties where all of the stars hang out together (as if those still exist). Frankly, I think Ben M. is about the best you are going to get.

Sadly, there are several people who could do as good (or dare I say better?) job than Robert Osborne. They are true film historians who could write their own, more interesting (& accurate) copy, who look good and are absolutely comfortable on screen. These people are hosts at rare film festivals around the country and do a fantastic job.

One of those is the President of our local Cinephile group. (he's a member here, but just lurks)
He sent in a video when TCM was holding some contest, most likely for guest programmers. I cannot imagine why he wasn't called in for an interview-he's good looking, dresses well, is fantastic at public speaking (expert dealing with hecklers!) and comes up with the most interesting facts about a film-none of that common facts EVERYONE knows-but tidbits about why the studio chose a certain story or actor, or the arc of someone's career, etc. His comments have opened my mind to watch movies I had zero interest in, accepting their shortcomings just to see how it pans out.

While I'd hate to witness this board's criticisms of a non celebrity, there really are excellent candidates available for hosting movies.
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Swithin said:

Mr. Persoff has been painting in recent years, so I assume, despite the infirmities of age, he might be up to it. He has a website, and an email address!

http://www.officialnehemiahpersoffpaintings.com

Well lets invite him.   He was a fine actor and in many good films. 

My dad would be a great candidate for hosting classic western movies, lol. He loves watching western movies. I didn't know much about Clint Walker or Audie Murphy until I heard him talking about them. He told me when he was a young boy that he and his friends would go to the theater to watch western movies. He watches his westerns on the Starz Encore channel now. I'll let him know when there's a good western on TCM.

On 2/22/2018 at 5:09 PM, Diana101 said:
Doris Day has been out of the spotlight for so long. It doesn't seem like she's interested in appearing on TCM anytime soon. She spends much of her time helping animals.

That's her weakness. The last appearance I saw her make, she only did it after the sponsor promised a donation to an animal fund of some sort.

Remember, hosting is work. These people are long retired. They could sit there and answer questions about their careers or the movie about to be shown. But, reading lines and all that, I doubt any would do that.

• Like 3

On 2/23/2018 at 5:16 PM, Diana101 said:
My dad would be a great candidate for hosting classic western movies, lol. He loves watching western movies. I didn't know much about Clint Walker or Audie Murphy until I heard him talking about them. He told me when he was a young boy that he and his friends would go to the theater to watch western movies. He watches his westerns on the Starz Encore channel now. I'll let him know when there's a good western on TCM.

I think TCM should call him immediately and offer him a Saturday Morning Western movies show. I hope he doesn't sleep in on Saturdays.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, laffite said:

I think TCM should call him immediately and offer him a Saturday Morning Western movies show. I hope he doesn't sleep in on Saturdays.

I was being sarcastic. My dad is retired and living a peaceful life. He tries to get in a walk every day to stay healthy. The weather is still chilly here on the east coast, so he can't walk too long outside. He's looking forward to Spring and working on his garden. I go with him to get plants and flowers for the yard every Spring. He does spend time watching classic movies/westerns and reminisce about the good old days.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Diana101 said:
I was being sarcastic. My dad is retired and living a peaceful life. He tries to get in a walk every day to stay healthy. The weather is still chilly here on the east coast, so he can't walk too long outside. He's looking forward to Spring and working on his garden. I go with him to get plants and flowers for the yard every Spring. He does spend time watching classic movies/westerns and reminisce about the good old days.

Yes, I know ... I figured you were making a little joke there. Well, that's nice about your Dad, hope he has continued good health. Must be getting close to that time for new plants and flowers. I live on the other coast where we don't really have that little joy for the anticipation of Spring. I'm getting up there myself. I don't garden but I'm retired and happy. I'll play a round of golf once in awhile when I can afford it. There are a couple of plants on the balcony but my sister comes over and takes care of them. My favorite Western is Warlock. I wonder if your dad likes that one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, laffite said:

Yes, I know ... I figured you were making a little joke there. Well, that's nice about your Dad, hope he has continued good health. Must be getting close to that time for new plants and flowers. I live on the other coast where we don't really have that little joy for the anticipation of Spring. I'm getting up there myself. I don't garden but I'm retired and happy. I'll play a round of golf once in awhile when I can afford it. There are a couple of plants on the balcony but my sister comes over and takes care of them. My favorite Western is Warlock. I wonder if your dad likes that one.

I'm pretty sure he saw "Warlock." :)