Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

For Audiophiles Mostly

142 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Lester Lanin "The Madison Avenue Beat" 1961 Space Age Pop TV Commercials FULL ALBUM.

"Have fun listening and dancing to 58 radio and TV commercial favorites:"

This looks like fun.

Hey! It was pretty cool listening to this, MCOH. Thanks for posting it. Brought back a lot of memories for me.

(...but you'll have to excuse me now, as for some reason I've suddenly gotten the strong urge to drive to my local supermarket and purchase a bottle of Mr. Clean, a tube of Pepsodent toothpaste and a carton of Winston cigarettes, among a long list of other consumables)

• Like 2

Another soundtrack where there are only 2 selections I like - the Main Title. and ending. Neat LP design though. :)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 2:02 PM, CaveGirl said:

Gosh, I'm never moving if they lose things like that, Janet! I'd like to have TWM and KK on  cd for sure. Thanks.

House of Frankenstein & The Wolf Man sound tracks are available on Amazon. Yes!

• Like 1

Nipkow's latest post reminds me of a nice CD set I used to have. I ended up selling it many years ago during a period of downsizing, but I wish I still had it. It was entitled Brain in a Box. It's all science fiction related music of various types. It was 5 discs.

Disc 1 was movie themes. 28 tracks including everything from the classical pieces from 2001: A Space Odyssey to It Came from Outer Space and Them!, up to newer titles like The Matrix.

Disc 2 was TV themes, including Lost in Space and The Twilight Zone. 22 tracks.

Disc 3 was Pop songs, like "Telstar", and "Spaceman" by Harry Nilsson, and "Creature with the Atom Brain" by Roky Erickson. 22 tracks.

Disc 4 was Incidental/Lounge music, including tracks by Les Baxter, Sun Ra, and Leonard Nimoy. 20 tracks.

Disc 5 was Novelty songs, like "The Blob", "Planet Claire", and "The Purple People Eater" 21 tracks.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Brain-In-A-Box-The-Science-Fiction-Collection/release/1066768

R-1066768-1190326592.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

"Deliverance" (1972) Dueling Banjos (loved the guys in the commercial that quickly fled :lol:)

6 minutes ago, hamradio said:

"Deliverance" (1972) Dueling Banjos (loved the guys in the commercial that quickly fled :lol:)

Looks like a future United States Attorney General to me.

• Haha 1

There was earlier discussion of Theremin music and theme music.  Now, I recall many moons ago HAVING this LP in my collection, but can't find a YT clip that claims to be the "full LP".

Sepiatone

• Like 2

John Williams is announcing he is retiring.

well-deserved!

we thank him for the hours of listening enjoyment his talent has given us.

a true giant of film talent.

• Confused 1

Now this is something.  Never mind the guys in blue.  It gets better.  I'm sure this was in an 80s movie somewhere.

Thanks a lot Sepia....now I've got to find that Harry Lubin on CD. That was great Theremin playing- more "vocal" style than "violin" style.

That Blue Man Group thing was kind of interesting too. So their performance is just a bunch of percussionists with vinyl head coverings? Anyone know what that PVC drum apparatus is? Interesting, but I bet it's too loud for me to see live.

5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Now this is something.  Never mind the guys in blue.  It gets better.  I'm sure this was in an 80s movie somewhere.

R-748614-1269882406.jpeg.jpg

22 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Thanks a lot Sepia....now I've got to find that Harry Lubin on CD. That was great Theremin playing- more "vocal" style than "violin" style.

That Blue Man Group thing was kind of interesting too. So their performance is just a bunch of percussionists with vinyl head coverings? Anyone know what that PVC drum apparatus is? Interesting, but I bet it's too loud for me to see live.

I thought you might like it for the visuals.  Very 1980s IMO, like some geeky science/party movie. 

It can't be that loud where the singers are standing, or else the stage volume would outshout their voices in their mics, and you wouldn't hear the more subtle parts as you can.  She sounds great.  I'm almost 100% certain the singer is performing live, as she and her two keyboardist bandmates (behind to the left) are doing a guest performance with BMG here.

Behind the singer and all the pantomime drummers is the actual band you hear, maybe about a 6-8 piece core band - though I might be off.  I noticed a lot of distortion on the electric guitar, which makes it seem like it would be loud, but that is often just 'FX'.  Most of those drum-like devices you see them pounding on are just props that have electronic drums or e-drum triggers underneath the surface.  This is to create a precise repeatable sound without any drum tuning needed, and an added benefit that they wouldn't add a bunch of extra noise to the stage volume. 

(Many big-time pop keyboardists do exactly the same thing except with a keyboard.  They go out touring with an electronic keyboard that is mounted in a real piano with the action taken out, or is mounted in a prop piano.  This is so it sounds consistent across different venues and doesn't need tuning each time it is moved about.)

BMG has a complex stage, but they normally performed in the same place - a venue where they had a residency for some time.  So if they need to share a venue with other groups, and they are fortunate, all they would need to do is just roll it all backstage in big pieces on carts and then back out again.  Similar to the way they quickly deploy and then strike a Superbowl halftime show during commercial breaks.

The volume level in the audience is a creative decision that is independent from anything that happens on stage, so I can't say how loud it might have been for the audience.  I have been to country concerts that have been horribly loud and rock/pop concerts that have been more listenable.  I always bring high quality audiophile earplugs with me just in case, as I value my hearing.

• Thanks 1