CinemaInternational

This One is for the Unnominated!

45 posts in this topic

Anthony Perkins in PSYCHO....a legendary performance and of course it's ignored by the Academy.

Edward G. Robinson for DOUBLE INDEMNITY, KEY LARGO, and I also like to throw in a vote for THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING, where he plays two totally different characters so convincingly.

James Cagney in WHITE HEAT....I know he hated his gangster roles and I have no doubt he was happier winning for YANKEE DOODLE DANDY where he got a chance to shine in one of his song and dance roles, but what he brought to the character of Cody Jarrett was pure genius. But at the time his performance, as great as it was, and as many on here have pointed out, was most likely too dark for the Academy, I guess they didn't want to look like they were 'glorifying' crime by giving an Oscar to an actor (and not an actual gangster) for playing such a role.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Andy Griffith as Lonesome Rhodes in A Face in the Crowd for Best Actor. 

And I love Michael Keaton in Beetlejuice. 

I’m sure there are others I'm forgetting. 

Andy Griffith was fantastic in A Face in the Crowd.  I really enjoy watching that film.  Griffith showed that he could do more than mild-mannered, wise Sheriff Andy Taylor, though I do love his sitcom as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should have been nominated but weren't:

Errol Flynn, The Adventures of Robin Hood & The Sun Also Rises

Joseph Cotten, The Third Man

Peter Lorre, The Maltese Falcon

Marilyn Monroe, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes Some Like it Hot

Edward G. Robinson, Double Indemnity

Fred MacMurray, Double Indemnity

Jack Carson, Mildred Pierce

Rita Hayworth, Gilda

Bing Crosby, The Country Girl

Myrna Loy, The Thin Man

 

Should have won, but didn't:

Claude Rains, Notorious

Thelma Ritter, Pickup on South Street

Ann Blyth, Mildred Pierce

Judy Garland,  A Star is Born

Natalie Wood, Splendor in the Grass

Rosalind Russell, Auntie Mame

Barbara Stanwyck, Stella Dallas

Claude Rains, Casablanca

William Holden, Network

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like your list up there speedy, but actually Der Bingle was nominated for Best Actor for his performance in The Country Girl.

And rightly so, I might add, as it wouldn't be until I first caught this film as a young man that I'd come to the realization that the ol' crooner could in fact also act pretty darn well given a meatier role.

(...he's a heck of a lot more "real actor" in this one than he was in the role for which he won his Oscar in '44, anyway)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victor Francen (The Mask of Dimitrios) -- Best Supporting Actor

Gladys George (The Roaring Twenties) -- Best Supporting Actress

Anjelica Huston (The Dead) -- Best Supporting Actress

Aline MacMahon (Mary Jane's Pa) -- Best Actress

George Macready (Gilda) -- Supporting Actor

Claudia McNeil (A Raisin in the Sun) -- Best Actress

Madame Sul-Te-Wan (King of the Zombies) -- Best Supporting Actress

Mantan Moreland (King of the Zombies) -- Best Actor

Natalie Wood (Tomorrow Is Forever) -- Best Supporting Actress

Ann Harding (Biography of a Bachelor Girl) -- Best Actress

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year, there are some very fine films that that end up not generating any Oscar buzz and subsequently don't get any nominations. There are only so many nominations to go around, I suppose, and the tendency of the Academy to "overnominate" a few films every year - when an All About Eve or Titanic or La La Land gets 14 nominations - means something else is going to get squeezed out altogether.

For the year just finished, I can immediately think of three very fine films that didn't get a single nomination and thus will never air during TCM's 31 Days (unless TCM makes another Battle of the Bulge mistake!):

Detroit - Gripping true-life story of a racially motivated incident of police brutality that took place during a race riot in the titular city in 1968. Directed with her characteristic intensity by Kathryn Bigelow, whose previous two films, The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, were showered with nominations, the former getting her a Best Director win. This film is just as good as those two, but move the action back from the wars of the Middle East to the States, and the Academy just didn't give a crap.

Wind River - A murder mystery/suspense thriller in which something has caused a teenage girl in rural Alaska to flee barefoot into the wilderness in fear of her life and subsequently die from exposure. An animal tracker with a tragic backstory (Jeremy Renner) and an FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) team up to try to solve the case and very quickly end up in mortal jeopardy themselves.

Stronger - If he never ends up getting an Oscar nomination, someday Jake Gyllenhall will be looked back at with the same puzzlement we have over the likes of Edward G. Robinson, Myrna Loy, Donald Sutherland, Marilyn Monroe, etc.: how the heck was he never nominated for anything? He's great in everything he does. In this true-life film, he plays a survivor of the Boston Marathon bombing who loses both legs, but the road to recovery proves thornier than the typical movie of this genre: something of a man-child even before the attack, he can't handle being labeled a hero during all the "Boston Strong" PR campaign and spirals into a potentially ruinous whirlpool of self-pity and hate for everything else. Gyllenhall is so emotionally naked and raw, it's a tough watch sometimes, but a great performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Like your list up there speedy, but actually Der Bingle was nominated for Best Actor for his performance in The Country Girl.

And rightly so, I might add, as it wouldn't be until I first caught this film as a young man that I'd come to the realization that the ol' crooner could in fact also act pretty darn well given a meatier role.

(...he's a heck of a lot more "real actor" in this one than he was in the role for which he won his Oscar in '44, anyway)

I didn't realize Bing got the nomination--serves me right for not researching it.  Lol. I haven't seen his Oscar winning role yet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Every year, there are some very fine films that that end up not generating any Oscar buzz and subsequently don't get any nominations. There are only so many nominations to go around, I suppose, and the tendency of the Academy to "overnominate" a few films every year - when an All About Eve or Titanic or La La Land gets 14 nominations - means something else is going to get squeezed out altogether.

For the year just finished, I can immediately think of three very fine films that didn't get a single nomination and thus will never air during TCM's 31 Days (unless TCM makes another Battle of the Bulge mistake!):

Detroit - Gripping true-life story of a racially motivated incident of police brutality that took place during a race riot in the titular city in 1968. Directed with her characteristic intensity by Kathryn Bigelow, whose previous two films, The Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, were showered with nominations, the former getting her a Best Director win. This film is just as good as those two, but move the action back from the wars of the Middle East to the States, and the Academy just didn't give a crap.

Wind River - A murder mystery/suspense thriller in which something has caused a teenage girl in rural Alaska to flee barefoot into the wilderness in fear of her life and subsequently die from exposure. An animal tracker with a tragic backstory (Jeremy Renner) and an FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) team up to try to solve the case and very quickly end up in mortal jeopardy themselves.

Stronger - If he never ends up getting an Oscar nomination, someday Jake Gyllenhall will be looked back at with the same puzzlement we have over the likes of Edward G. Robinson, Myrna Loy, Donald Sutherland, Marilyn Monroe, etc.: how the heck was he never nominated for anything? He's great in everything he does. In this true-life film, he plays a survivor of the Boston Marathon bombing who loses both legs, but the road to recovery proves thornier than the typical movie of this genre: something of a man-child even before the attack, he can't handle being labeled a hero during all the "Boston Strong" PR campaign and spirals into a potentially ruinous whirlpool of self-pity and hate for everything else. Gyllenhall is so emotionally naked and raw, it's a tough watch sometimes, but a great performance.

I agree with you on Wind River. A solid, largely unheralded thriller. I was a little disappointed in Detroit but it wasn't bad by any means. Stronger was an okay movie, but Gyllenhaal was very good. He has been nominated already, by the way, in 2005 for Brokeback Mountain (he lost to George Clooney in Syriana). He deserved at least nominations for Prisoners and Nightcrawler, in my opinion.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely forgot about Brokeback Mountain. Still hasn't been nominated for Best (Lead) Actor, however. I saw both Prisoners and Nightcrawler, as well, and he was great in both of those, too. Prisoners was probably his first movie that really got my attention, because it seemed all anyone was talking about when I went to see it was Hugh Jackman's performance, but I emerged from it having been blown away by Gyllenhall's more understated role.

Edit: Assuming your post is correct, I see I'm leaving an extra "a" out of his last name! Oops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I agree with you on Wind River. A solid, largely unheralded thriller.

Same here. I thought it was an excellent movie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henry B. Walthall (A Tale of Two Cities) -- Best Supporting Actor

Blanche Yurka (A Tale of Two Cities) -- Best Supporting Actress

Robert Donat (The Inn of the Sixth Happiness) -- Best Supporting Actor

Edward Brophy (The Last Hurrah) -- Best Supporting Actor

Evelyn Venable (Harmony Lane) -- Best Supporting Actress

Kathleen Widdoes (The Group) -- Best Supporting Actress

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2018 at 7:11 PM, speedracer5 said:

Andy Griffith was fantastic in A Face in the Crowd.  I really enjoy watching that film.  Griffith showed that he could do more than mild-mannered, wise Sheriff Andy Taylor, though I do love his sitcom as well. 

I agree and also think PATRICIA NEAL should have been nominated for her part in "Face" too.

Sepiatone

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edward G. Robinson in Little Caesar

Marion Davies in Peg o' My Heart (although she was a write-in candidate)

Ann Sheridan in Kings Row

Judy Davis in My Brilliant Career

"To Sir with Love" as best song

Debbie Reynolds in Mother

Deborah Kerr in Black Narcissus

Barbra Streisand in Yentl (actress and director)

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best Picture-Shadow Of A Doubt (1943) My favorite Hitchcock film (personal favorite of Hitchcock himself too), this was during WWII years so perhaps no one thought to nominate a suspense film of small town America, but it is very well remembered today.

Best Actor- Kirk Douglas in Detective Story (1951), not sure why this was not nominated, since Douglas was a huge star at the time and well respected as an actor. He is one of my favorites and as you can see by my avatar, I think this is his greatest performance.

Best Actress-Elizabeth Taylor in Giant (1956), I was surprised at this omission, the film was nominated in many other categories and was probably Taylor's best performance to date. 

Best Supporting Actor-Howard da Silva in The Lost Weekend (1945) a tough category since most of my favorite supporting performances did get nominated, I chose da Silva since many of my favorite scenes in the film take place in the bar, and his performance as the bartender showed down to earth empathy as well as toughness in dealing with the drunk lead character.

Best Supporting Actress- Dinah Manoff in Ordinary People (1980) this was even tougher to choose, but I just rewatched this last week and was struck by Manoff's one scene in the film opposite Oscar winner Timothy Hutton, it was very sweet and poignant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2018 at 11:02 PM, Swithin said:

Patricia Jessel (Horror Hotel/City of the Dead) -- Best Supporting Actress

A chilling performance, I am glad someone remembers this great film, one of my top ten favorite horror movies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Picnic is just beginning on TCM, I'm thinking I would have been okay with a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Susan Strasberg.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

As Picnic is just beginning on TCM, I'm thinking I would have been okay with a Best Supporting Actress nomination for Susan Strasberg.

Agree 100% Susan Strasberg's "Millie" is my favorite character in the film.  If Rosalind Russell hadn't let her ego get the best of her, it has been said that she probably would have WON the Best Supporting Actress Oscar if she would have cooperated.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two supporting performances that come to mind, both in films that flopped, that were outstanding.

Elaine Stritch as the acerbic mother in September

Beatrice Arthur as the acerbic Vera in Mame

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My picks for nominations:

1) Claudia McNeil for A Raisin in the Sun (supporting)

2) Edward G. Robinson for Double Indemnity (supporting)

3) Sidney Poitier for A Raisin in the Sun (lead)

4) Rosalind Russell for Picnic (supporting). (I'm glad someone already mentioned the long-circulated rumor that she did herself in)

5) Al Freeman, Jr., for Malcolm X (supporting)

6) Kirk Douglas, Ace in the Hole (lead)

There are probably others, but those are the ones that come to mind...

 

BLU

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us