CinemaInternational

This One is for the Unnominated!

45 posts in this topic

This thread will be a counterpoint to Oscar month. It will focus on things that the Academy didn't nominate. Now, you can include some Oscar-nominated films provided they were not up for Best Picture and/or they did not receive as many nominations as they should have, to unnominated work of Oscar-nominated or winning actors and actresses, all the way down to unrecognized technical elements. By the same measure, you can also include films and performances left completely out in the cold.

I'll start the thread off with somebody left completely out in the cold, Ida Lupino. There are two performances she gave that are particularly striking and she wasn't up for either of them. The first was They Drive by Nght. The film in question is not the most memorable, but as soon as she hits the screen, she magnetizes the film. Her work is tremendous, chilling, and haunting and her breakdown in the courtroom is extraordinary. To say that she stole the film would be an understatement. The second was for Deep Valley, extremely touching work in a sadly overlooked film. She plays a simple farmgirl who falls for a fugitive, and she captures every nuance ideally. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The first was They Drive by Night. 

Ida did indeed give a fine performance in the film (the first one she did under contract with Warners),  but what category would you place her in?   I say Best Supporting actress since the only leading actor in the film is George Raft.    Note this might be a reason why Warners didn't promote Ida for an Oscar nomination.   She was new to the studio and maybe they didn't wish to upset Ann Sheridan,  who had been with the studio for many years.       

• Like 1

There are so many possibilities for this thread, and of course I agree 100% about Ida Lupino, who also deserved a nod for On Dangerous Ground, as did Robert Ryan.

In 1967 the only film editor regularly mentioned by the reviewers of the year's films was Dede Allen for Bonnie and Clyde. She did not receive an Oscar nomination, although other female editors had been nominated in the past. This is one of the most egregious omissions ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Ida did indeed give a fine performance in the film (the first one she did under contract with Warners),  but what category would you place her in?   I say Best Supporting actress since the only leading actor in the film is George Raft.    Note this might be a reason why Warners didn't promote Ida for an Oscar nomination.   She was new to the studio and maybe they didn't wish to upset Ann Sheridan,  who had been with the studio for many years.       

I do indeed place Ida in supporting. I do wish she had been nominated there

Well, how about Ann Miller, John Barrymore and Myrna Loy?

• Like 2

There are a lot of omissions.  Acting-wise here are just a few of mine:  Edward G. Robinson should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor in KEY LARGO and DOUBLE INDEMNITY and Fred MacMurray in Lead, too, for DOUBLE INDEMNITY.  Donald Sutherland who is getting an honorary Oscar should have been nominated for DAY OF THE LOCUST.  James Cagney for WHITE HEAT, Sidney Poitier for IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, Dorothy Mackaill for SAFE IN HELL, Marlene Dietrich in SHANGHAI EXPRESS, Maria Ouspenskaya for anything. 

• Like 4

Always thought Ice Cube (born O'Shea Jackson Sr.) gave a terrific performance and should have at least been nominated for Best Supporting Actor in John Singleton's 1991 film Boyz n the Hood.

• Like 1

I can’t believe that the all-star classic Dinner at Eight didn’t receive one single nomination.  The year before, the first all-star movie, Grand Hotel, won the Oscar for Best Picture.  Dinner at Eight was just as worthy a production and, in my opinion, even more entertaining.  The cast was first-rate and gave memorable performances, especially Jean Harlow and Marie Dressler.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Dinner at Eight was just as worthy a production and, in my opinion, even more entertaining.  The cast was first-rate and gave memorable performances, especially Jean Harlow and Marie Dressler.

Agree..and that year the Oscar went to Cavalcade, a Brit drama that's nearly forgotten today.  

I always thought Cary Grant's performance in Suspicion was one of his best--the character had more dimensions.. from charming to dark..than a lot of his films..the film was nominated, but he and Hitchcock were shut out.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Donald Sutherland who is getting an honorary Oscar should have been nominated for DAY OF THE LOCUST.  

Donald Sutherland's performance in that great film is amazing. The film needs to be shown on TCM, above any other. It is after all about Hollywood's "Golden Age."

Another actor who has often been nominated was not nominated for what I consider to be his best performance: Rod Steiger should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for The Chosen.

7021605_orig.jpg

• Like 1

Definitely DINNER AT EIGHT over CAVALCADE which Halliwell calls "...a spectacular if rather lifeless Hollywood version..."  How many Oscar winning flicks does this description fit?  (Besides GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS?)  :D

• Like 1

I've also never understood why the song New York, New York by Kander and Ebb from the picture of the same name didn't rate a nomination.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Definitely DINNER AT EIGHT over CAVALCADE which Halliwell calls "...a spectacular if rather lifeless Hollywood version..."  How many Oscar winning flicks does this description fit?  (Besides GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS?)  :D

probably a lot...but if you take all the nominees for that year, I'd say the one that had the greatest influence on films for the next decade, and is still being viewed, it would be 42nd Street

10 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Donald Sutherland's performance in that great film is amazing. The film needs to be shown on TCM, above any other. It is after all about Hollywood's "Golden Age."

Another actor who has often been nominated was not nominated for what I consider to be his best performance: Rod Steiger should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for The Chosen.

7021605_orig.jpg

1 hour ago, Thenryb said:

Well, how about Ann Miller, John Barrymore and Myrna Loy?

I don't know about Ann Miller but John Barrymore gave some great performances in a number of films before he personally fell apart and a case can certainly be made for Myrna Loy.  She's great and has wonderful comic timing in THE THIN MAN and MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE.  I don't know if she's Oscar-worthy in BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES but she has some wonderful scenes.

Which reminds me:  Where is Dana Andrews' nomination for BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

I don't know about Ann Miller

I was thinking of her in terms of a nomination, but not necessarily a win, for On The Town.

And, perhaps because as they say "hindsight is twenty-twenty", one of most egregious Oscar nomination snubbings for Best Picture HAS to be in the year 1952.

And, with the aforementioned "hindsight" thought offered up here because how in the world can a film which NOW DAYS is not only almost universally considered THE best Hollywood movie musical ever made but which is also often listed within the top 10 of best Hollywood films ever made regardless of genre, end up being so overlooked by AMPAS the year it was Oscar eligible?

(...okay okay, yeah yeah I know...it was "overlooked" because of the previous year's win for another Gene Kelly-starring musical...still though, and yeah in hindsight, Singin' in the Rain's lack of a Best Picture nomination has got to be one of the most egregious examples of this sort of thing) 

• Like 1

Countless actors in horror films have been overlooked. Here are just a few:

Boris Karloff (The Mummy) -- Best Actor

Gloria Holden (Dracula's Daughter) -- Best Actress

Bela Lugosi (The Black Cat) -- Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor

Warner Oland (Werewolf of London) -- Best Supporting Actor

Duncan Lamont (Quatermass and the Pit) -- Best Supporting Actor

Patricia Jessel (Horror Hotel/City of the Dead) -- Best Supporting Actress

This could be the longest thread ever especially since it includes performers who have been nominated or won, but should have been nominated or won for something else.

Two technical efforts from the 1980s that deserved attention:

John Barry's rich, melodic, heartbreaking score for Somewhere in Time (1980)

The Art Decoration/Set Design for One from the Heart, a gorgeous, elaborate, handcrafted set stylized like Las Vegas.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, starliteyes said:

I've also never understood why the song New York, New York by Kander and Ebb from the picture of the same name didn't rate a nomination.  

And neither did Liza's dramatic rendering of "But the World Goes Round" from that same film .... and it always impressed me even MORE than "NY, NY."

8 hours ago, starliteyes said:

Kander & Ebb were so underrated and snubbed.  "Cabaret" and other great numbers from that movie may have already been handled on Broadway, but "Maybe This Time' was added to the movie version, and it immediately topped my list of their (and Liza's) best numbers ....... but no nomination ....... shamefully.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Which reminds me:  Where is Dana Andrews' nomination for BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES?

FREDERIC MARCH won "best actor" for that one, didn't he?  And HAROLD RUSSELL got "best supporting"?  Sure, but Dana should at least have gotten a nomination.  But knowing him( at least by "rep") he'd have probably deferred to Russell anyway.

Sepiatone

I always thought that Alan Ladd deserved a nomination for Shane--And Marilyn Monroe was like totally great in Some Like It Hot, but unfortunately never received a nomination.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, don96 said:

I always thought that Alan Ladd deserved a nomination for Shane--And Marilyn Monroe was like totally great in Some Like It Hot, but unfortunately never received a nomination.

I thought she was also great in Bus Stop.

• Like 1

Andy Griffith as Lonesome Rhodes in A Face in the Crowd for Best Actor. 

And I love Michael Keaton in Beetlejuice. 

I’m sure there are others I'm forgetting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, starliteyes said:

I thought she was also great in Bus Stop.

Yeah, that one too.  And I'd point to NIAGARA too.

Sepiatone