Sign in to follow this  
Thenryb

Appointment in Samarra Movie

5 posts in this topic

I was watching Targets which contained a scene where Boris Karloff recited the story about Death and the appointment in Samarra. I wondered if it had been made into a movie and discovered online that Robert Benton had taken steps to make the movie, including finalizing the script and casting the movie. According to a TCM overview, the movie was released in 2011, but I can find nothing else about it. Does anyone know whether it was, in fact, ever released. I am a big fan of John O'Hara and would love to see this.

• Like 1

I would have even loved seeing one episode from Robert Montgomery in the 50's if it was a version of "Appointment in Samarra" .... but that link never lead to a video.  For so many years I've considered "Samarra" the greatest of O'Hara's novels, and have never understood why one of the insightful actors blessing the screen today would not have realized how easily it could lead to an Oscar nomination for him.  Maybe if we took out an ad in VARIETY asking for volunteers to enhance their OWN careers!

• Like 1

Thanks for the information---this story needs to be re-made !

If you are a fan of John O'Hara, don't miss reading his book: THE FARMERS HOTEL.

It is fantastic, and it could be staged TODAY on Broadway and be a hit.