film archivist

Why TCM Runs The Same Films Over And Over?

45 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I believe the repeat of Crossfire is due to the scheduling of the Noir Alley series.  TCM has added an additional viewing of Noir Alley so that those who may not want to watch a noir at 7:00am Sunday morning (Pacific Coast Time) can watch it at 9:00pm Saturday night.  The upcoming March and April schedules both have the same noir feature airing on Saturday nights and repeating on Sunday morning.

Oh, is that what is happening? Thanks for the explanation. I love CROSSFIRE so I don't object to more people being able to see it.

It certainly doesn't air as often as NORTH BY NORTHWEST does.

tcm oughta have a robert ryan skunk doubleheader...

crossfire followed by the racket.

:)

26 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

tcm oughta have a robert ryan skunk doubleheader...

crossfire followed by the racket.

:)

Yes, THE RACKET is another good one. It certainly qualifies as noir.

• Like 2

Thank You all for responding to my topic, "Films Run Over and Over On TCM. Now I know how they do programing at TCM. Again, Thanks! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, film archivist said:

Thank You all for responding to my topic, "Films Run Over and Over On TCM. Now I know how they do programing at TCM. Again, Thanks! 

Glad you found everyone's comments helpful!

You realise the UK TCM just shows a handful of westerns on repeat and reruns of Gunsmoke.

I look at the seclude of the US TCM and I am enraged with jealously. Be grateful for what you have!

• Like 1

In all fairness to TCM, they simply run out of films to air as well

& have wished since 1994 they had the rights to *Disney's classics & Golden Age Era animated features

But strangely still  can't even broadcast *"THE GODFATHER FLIX?"

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, TopBilled said:

Yes, THE RACKET is another good one. It certainly qualifies as noir.

Saw this several times over many yrs & still a bit underrated with Robert Ryan in whats arguably among his top 3 best performances!   Again inside RKO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spence said:

& have wished since 1994 they had the rights to *Disney's classics & Golden Age Era animated features

But strangely still  can't even broadcast *"THE GODFATHER FLIX?"

TCM showed The Godfather and The Godfather Part II back-to-back in 2008. I remember reading somewhere, probably on these boards, that there was literally like a one-day window after one very long-term exclusive rights contract for those two movies expired and another one began. It was during Summer Under the Stars, and they literally reshuffled an entire day's programming when they realized they had this one-time-only opportunity. The actress originally scheduled for the day in question got bumped - I forgot who - and TCM wrangled together enough other movies to turn it into a Robert Duvall day instead.

12 hours ago, spence said:

Saw this several times over many yrs & still a bit underrated with Robert Ryan in whats arguably among his top 3 best performances!   Again inside RKO

I agree that Ryan gives one of his best performance in The Racket.    It is Mitchum that is a little 'low key' in this film (and his film persona is already on the low key side),  but it still is a well made noir with 3 noir icons (Liz Scott being the third).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree that Ryan gives one of his best performance in The Racket.    It is Mitchum that is a little 'low key' in this film (and his film persona is already on the low key side),  but it still is a well made noir with 3 noir icons (Liz Scott being the third).

Occasionally TCM shows the 1928 original.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Racket_(1928_film)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

TCM showed The Godfather and The Godfather Part II back-to-back in 2008. I remember reading somewhere, probably on these boards, that there was literally like a one-day window after one very long-term exclusive rights contract for those two movies expired and another one began. It was during Summer Under the Stars, and they literally reshuffled an entire day's programming when they realized they had this one-time-only opportunity. The actress originally scheduled for the day in question got bumped - I forgot who - and TCM wrangled together enough other movies to turn it into a Robert Duvall day instead.

Oh yeah, I remember this, sewhite. And, I believe the actress in question here was Thelma Todd.

I guess TCM just figured Thelma would be used to getting "bumped" off by The Mob.

(...sorry) ;)

• Haha 1

When we are lucky we might get 5 or 6  Paramount or Universal premieres in one year. I wish Ted Turner had purchased the pre'48 Paramount library and the Universal library years ago. Right now, even Universal Home Video seems to have lost interest in releasing more DVD's in their Universal Vault Series.

Here is my list of titles that I would like to see released on DVD or shown on TCM :

A MEDAL FOR BENNY

APPLAUSE

THE REMARKABLE ANDREW

ROYAL FAMILY OF BROADWAY

THE BISCUIT EATER

AMONG THE LIVING

CRIME OF THE CENTURY

KING OF THE JUNGLE

CRIME WITHOUT PASSION

TRUE TO LIFE

THE FOREST RANGERS

THE WILD PARTY

MARY BURNS, FUGITIVE

NORTH WEST MOUNTED POLICE

THE MAN WHO RECLAIMED HIS HEAD

CORVETTE K-225

WHITE SAVAGE

THE RUNAROUND

THE SUSPECT

WHITE TIE AND TAILS

ONCE MORE, MY DARLING

LOUISA

FORBIDDEN  [1953]

SIGN OF THE PAGAN

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS

WORLD IN MY CORNER

MISTER COREY

16 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

It wasn’t Thelma Todd (I’m guessing Dargo is just being cute) that got bumped but Doris Day during Summer under the Stars.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

It's cheaper!!!

Yours is the best answer yet. They don't want to spend money. They want [ YOU ] us to spend money. Think Wine Club, Film Festival and Cruises. I think with the passing of the great Robert Osborne the current management made their move.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cody1949 said:

Yours is the best answer yet. They don't want to spend money. They want [ YOU ] us to spend money. Think Wine Club, Film Festival and Cruises. I think with the passing of the great Robert Osborne the current management made their move.

I'm sure TCM would like to spend more money...but they can't get that money from their parent company.  I wouldn't throw the TCM Film Festival in with the Wine Club and the Cruise (hell, even the cruise, if not for someone like me, is surely a nice idea for other people); it gives people an opportunity to see a lot of films theatrically that they might not otherwise see and meet and interact with some of the last surviving members of the Old Hollywood system.  Plus, the festival debuts big restorations of certain classic films before they surface anywhere else, like the Buster Keatons a few years back.  It's pretty darn far from a money grab on the scale of things.

Yeah, let's not consider the changing media landscape that's having a great effect on practically everything and just blame the people, many of whom have been with TCM for a very long time (as long as Robert Osborne,) who try hard to make this work.  This is the sole Turner station that hasn't dramatically changed like every one of its sister stations did during the last 10-15 years - that says something.

If you watch a channel for 10+ years, you're going to get diminishing returns eventually (I haven't, there's still too much stuff for me to DVR every year on the channel - hundreds of films every year.)  If you're getting tired, there are new people coming to the channel all the time who will discover the best treasure on TV, by far.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2018 at 1:31 AM, calvinnme said:
On 2/25/2018 at 11:42 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I assume the James Bond films fall in the MGM/UA library Calvin mentioned, since TCM never shows them (one time, when Sean Connery was SOTM, TCM showed Dr. No and Goldfinger, I think, but that may the only Bond film airings in the network's history). And possibly all the Beatles films except A Hard Day's Night, which has somehow ended up under other ownership, and TCM has shown it a few times in the past couple of years.

The James Bond films are in the MGM/UA library. Hard Day's Night and Help! are also. A Hard Day's Night was released on Criterion DVD, and their restoration might be the reason that it showed up on TCM. The good news is that King of Jazz will be out on Criterion DVD soon too, so we'll have a digital version of that film. The hope is that someday that will show up on TCM.

Actually the Beatles themselves hold all rights to HELP (and subsequent films). Janus Films currently holds rights to A HARD DAY'S NIGHT.

I'm pretty sure that TCM showed all 6 of Connery's official Bond movies when he was STOM (not sure about NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN).

• Thanks 1