Sign in to follow this  
dsclassic

Johnny Depp YEAH or NAY

41 posts in this topic

Ive noticed a few dozen threads where Johnny Depp is brought up as being the next great actor, this & that etc..

I may not like all the films he does, but he brings every character to life, he is a great performer to me

Movies I liked with him - all 3 Pirates' movies, Secret Window, Ed Wood

Movies I wasn't into with him - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Edward Scissorhands - but he really does wonders with all his characters

I am sure I am missing a few...

Anyway here is a place to discuss Johnny Depp (if it hasnt been done already) and his movies...

Yay or Nay ?

I say YEAH

I just saw Depp in "Sweeny Todd" and he was amazing. I did not like him in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" but he was great in " Ed Wood"and the first " Pirate" movie.

Yeah. I give him points for his career choices. Being hitched with Tim Burton is a pretty good cosmic teaming, as well. Works for both of them.

Remember "21 Jump Street"? People had big plans for Richard Grieco, Peter DeLuise, and Holly Robinson ! Who'd a thunk it?

Nay! Nay! A thousand times nay. But that's being debated over in the "WHO'S OVER-RATED THREAD." Hey re: Johnny...to each his own.

I say yeah for Johnny Depp!! I agree that he brings his characters to life. I enjoy watching him in anything but a couple of my favorites were Chocolat and Finding Neverland. I love all the pirate movies as well.

Hello Everyone - it's been a while so I want to wish you all a Happy New Year.

I like this thread - and I will give a great big YEAH to Johnny Depp who is one of the best actors out there today. He plays a diverse amount of roles and is very versatile. I just saw him in Sweeney Todd and he was wonderful. I liked him in Finding Neverland, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Don Juan DeMarco, Benny & Joon, Sleepy Hollow, Pirates of the Caribbean to name a few.

I think Johnny Depp is fabulous and he's even good in films that weren't a big hit. He has a certain charisma and is exciting to watch. I've liked him from 21 JumpStreet days.....so a HUGE YEAH for Johnny Depp.

YEAH!! My whole family have been Johnny Depp fans since his 21 Jump Street days so... I personlly think he has a great range as actor, and he is one of my favorites. My favorite Johnny Depp movies are Ed Wood, The Pirates Of the Caribbean movies,and Edward Scissorhands.

I would have to say NAY , he is too over rated for sure, but i do think he has talent, just needs to be a little less WEIRD,but time and age should help that,but there are other more talented actors on the scene now,and they deserve more credit..besides that Depp is hardly a classic actor,and not a TCM class celebrity. FG

I will give Johnny Depp a YEAH because I think he is a great actor and I enjoy his films. I like the fact that he is "far out" and doesn't conform to any set standard. He doesn't want to be something he's not and remains true to himself. I think he's versatile and he could make a fortune just out of having that gorgeous face, but he chooses to hide his beauty in many of his films and shows how talented and versatile he is. I think he's one of our best actors along with Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Thats what I like most about Johnny Depp, is his "weirdness". And "weirdness" can be a good asset to an actor,I mean there so many actors, & actresses of the past who are more or less famous due their ability to play odd balls in films.

Message was edited by: Nicki82

As Joel Hodgson said "Im weird and that results in creativity."

If Johnny Depp is weird, Im sure he be flattered.

My mom is loves him as Jack Sparrow...

I dont know if he is TCM classic, maybe in 50 years, but right now hes up there as far as legendary actors go..

Im glad most so far have said Yeah to him..theres a lot to be said when TCM fans approve of an actor in the current era...I am pleasantly surprised...

YAY! I think he is great. In fact, pretty much the only actor around these days who I would consider to be a true artist rather than a professional celebrity.

Yes, he has played some weird characters - and frankly, some of them took GUTS to attempt. Films like Edward Sissorhands were risky business - Tim Burton/Johnny Depp films were NOT guaranteed box office hits at the time that film was made...and yet Depp took on the task and got his first huge hit, despite the heavy makeup and weirdness of his character!

So Edward Sissorhands, Captain Jack Sparrow, and Ed Wood where 'weird' characters. So what? That certainly does not mean that this is all he has done! In fact, in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Johnny Depp plays the only 'normal' character in the entire picture! And his characters in films like Blow, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Chocolat, and The Ninth Gate can hardly be considered 'weird', even by the most conservative standards. And what classic film fan can not appreciate his character in Benny & Joon? - a character fashioned after Buster Keaton & Charlie Chaplin. Good lord, he even did the Gold Rush roll dance in that film!

Sure, if all you can stand in life are stereotypical, unimaginative, conservatively written, 'normal' characters who look and act just like you, then alot of his films are not gonna be your cup of tea. But if you are interested in a little adventure in life and are willing to give that old imagination a workout, then his films are the absolute best out there.

As far as I'm concerned, he MADE those Pirates of the Caribbean films, almost single-handedly. Orlando Bloom is breathtakingly beautiful and might have brought in the pre-teen girls....but other than that, it was Johnny Depp's Captain Jack who got the rear ends in the seats for those films.

I will give Johnny Depp a resounding YAY

I think Johnny Depp is innovative, creative, funny, isn't afraid to take chances, and is one of the few actors out there today that I'd pay any money for at the movies.

Thank goodness for Johnny Depp - otherwise the movie industry today would be completely dull and boring.

I've already "yay'd" on this....but I feel someone should state what's gotta be the obvious.....

Johnnie playing "eccentric" is now a BRAND.

Nothing wrong with that; Lon Chaney(whose classic status is beyond reproach) made a career of it.

SO.

I'm just saying. Again, my vote is yes.

I recently saw Johnny Depp in Finding Neverland and he played a "normal" role in that film. It was an excellent film. I like him either playing "odd" characters or "normal" ones - he is exciting and fun to watch - you can't say that about many actors in current film. I can't see how this actor has not won an Oscar yet. He was supberb in Sweeney Todd too.

Nay

never appealed to me

I edited this to say I do respect the fact that he doesn't seem to do movies just for the money he picks weird parts

but I wouldn't go see a movie just for him

Message was edited by: kas_to

Johnnie playing "eccentric" is now a BRAND.

Nothing wrong with that; Lon Chaney(whose classic status is beyond reproach) made a career of it.

SO.

I'm just saying.

Actually, this is a very good point. Many of Lon Chaney's characters make Johnny Depp's look 'normal' by comparison.

Here's another vote for Johnny Depp. He is one of the few young stars who doesn't seem like he came from the same cookie cutter as all the rest.