Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

Oscars the Academy Should Take Back

35 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I have never felt more robbed of time, money, and IQ points than when I sat through Top Gun in 1986.

Guess you didn't see 'Cocktail', huh?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, darkblue said:

Guess you didn't see 'Cocktail', huh?

Nope, I learned my lesson.

Does that mean you refuse to watch ANY movie with Tom Cruise in it based on that one film? Because he's been in a lot of really good movies.

10 hours ago, drednm said:

LOL..... Cimarron may not have been the best film of the year but at least it's a decent film. Moonlight, on the other hand, has nothing going for it. Uninteresting story, badly acted, badly directed, hideously bad narrative structure, unappealing characters, etc.

Boy, I disagree strenuously with your assessment of Moonlight, which I quite liked. Best film of the year, I don't know, but definitely worth watching. Far from the worst Best Picture winner. I think a lot of people hate it because the drug dealer character (Spoiler alert!) vanishes a third of the way into the film, and his absence is never explained, though I think given his profession, we're meant to assume he came to a bad end. To me, the way this was handled was not a flaw, but quite a satisfactory plot twist. We seriously couldn't expect this guy to hang around and be a father figure for the long term (the more I type, I remember making this same argument to somebody on here when the movie was new. Maybe it was you?).

Other people probably hate it because of the gay relationship. But that's another matter altogether ...

The Academy should take back the Oscar from La La Land for... oh wait, they already did that.

But seriously, how about taking back the Best Cinematography Oscar from Avatar?  That's not cinematography; it's CGI.  Might as well have given the award to a Pixar movie.  And, it took 5 years thereafter before the Academy acknowledged a difference between cinematography and CGI, after giving the awards for both to Avatar, then Inception, then Hugo, then Life is Pi and, finally, Gravity.  And maybe Blade Runner 2049 will start the trend back up again this year.

Or how about taking back a few of the 11 Oscars won by Cedric Gibbons for Production Design?  I mean the 11 Oscars he won for taking credit for other peoples' work.

Speaking of not earning your Oscar, take back Victor Fleming's Best Director Oscar for Gone with the Wind.  That's Menzies and Selznick's picture - not one of the umpteen directors following orders.

Maybe take back some of the Oscars handed out due to the Academy's long-standing Anglophilia.  I'm sure that not all of the awards given to, e.g., The King's Speech, Shakespeare in Love, Chariots of Fire, Oliver! and Tom Jones were deserved.

Or take back some of the johnny-come-lately Oscars.  E.g. Chicago as BP over The Two Towers, The Pianist, etc.  Hey, Academy, the stunning film that reinvigorated the musical genre was last year, and it was called Moulin Rouge!  Or the third Lord of the Rings movie winning when we know it wasn't the best one.

Or the Oscars where the Academy seems to be trying to make amends for past mistakes.  Streep for The Iron Lady instead of for Doubt.  Zellweger for something not called Bridget Jones's Diary.  Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman.  Henry Fonda for On Golden Pond.  John Wayne for True Grit.  James Stewart for The Philadelphia Story.

And, not to be too politically correct, but maybe take back some of the more embarrassing Oscars, such as the BP for Driving Miss Daisy - while Do the Right Thing was conspicuously absent from the nominees.  Or waiting until 2017 after public opinion has shifted before awarding a gay-themed movie rather than awarding Brokeback Mountain instead of the inferior choice of Crash 12 years ago.

Moonlight is OK.  I'll take its acting, story and plot over that of the bloated and dated Cimarron any day.

As for worst BP winner, I'd go with The Broadway Melody.  There were some of the last great films of the silent era, and the Academy decided, instead, to honor the talkies in all their poorly-written and poorly-acted stage-bound ineptitude.

Broadway Melody was a novelty, an MGM flick incorporating new technology and music so it was rewarded with the Oscar.  It's certainly "creaky" by our vantage point today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Broadway Melody was a novelty, an MGM flick incorporating new technology and music so it was rewarded with the Oscar.  It's certainly "creaky" by our vantage point today.

It also features a terrific and Oscar-nominated performance by Bessie Love and was a huge box-office hit.

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Boy, I disagree strenuously with your assessment of Moonlight, which I quite liked. Best film of the year, I don't know, but definitely worth watching. Far from the worst Best Picture winner. I think a lot of people hate it because the drug dealer character (Spoiler alert!) vanishes a third of the way into the film, and his absence is never explained, though I think given his profession, we're meant to assume he came to a bad end. To me, the way this was handled was not a flaw, but quite a satisfactory plot twist. We seriously couldn't expect this guy to hang around and be a father figure for the long term (the more I type, I remember making this same argument to somebody on here when the movie was new. Maybe it was you?).

Other people probably hate it because of the gay relationship. But that's another matter altogether ...

To each his own. I just didn't like anything about the film except for Andre Holland in the last part of the film.

5 hours ago, drednm said:

It also features a terrific and Oscar-nominated performance by Bessie Love and was a huge box-office hit.

Agree to disagree, re Love, that is.  With that dialogue, I wanted to slap everyone in the cast, and Love's character's sob-fest and martyrdom were particularly irritating.