Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

tribute to John Gavin

15 posts in this topic

tcm could show the CBS made for TV movie Cutter's Trail with a good performance by Gavin as a matt dillon-like lawman.

it showed that John Gavin packed the gear for heroic roles. but they won't show it. they'll show Duel but not that.

Gavin was a conservative republican and dennis weaver a liberal. cutter's trail has all but disappeared from view.

tcm could change that but vino and pleasure cruises and box sets now take precedent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are possibly aware that Duel was directed by someone named Steven Spielberg, and the fact that he went on to the be the most commercially (and often critically) successful director of the last 50 years might have something more to do with why it was of interest to TCM's programmers than the political leanings of the actors? Your wanting to attribute everything in life to an anti-conservative bias is extremely tiresome.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

You are possibly aware that Duel was directed by someone named Steven Spielberg, and the fact that he went on to the be the most commercially (and often critically) successful director of the last 50 years might have something more to do with why it was of interest to TCM's programmers than the political leanings of the actors? Your wanting to attribute everything in life to an anti-conservative bias is extremely tiresome.

I had almost forgotten about Duel. I have always considered that Dennis Weaver, regardless of his political leanings displayed the most incompetent driving ever seen in a movie, unless you count that of Dana Andrews in Hot Rods to Hell:D

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

I had almost forgotten about Duel. I have always considered that Dennis Weaver, regardless of his political leanings displayed the most incompetent driving ever seen in a movie, unless you count that of Dana Andrews in Hot Rods to Hell:D

LOL

Yeah, but you have to remember here Thenryd, that Dennis didn't have the distraction of Jeanne Crain, Laurie Mock and that annoying little kid of his yammering in his ear like poor Dana did while trying to drive away from danger...

Hot-Rods-to-Hell.jpg

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but you have to remember here Thenryd, that Dennis didn't have Jeanne Crain, Laurie Mock and that annoying little kid of his yammering in his ear like poor Dana did while trying to drive away from danger...

True enough. Also Dana was afflicted with a "bad back" which affected his ability to drive more than 55 mph. (or maybe it was "bone spurs"). Dennis has no such excuses.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not keen on showing Made-for-TV movies on TCM. 

TCM'S main function is to program classic films (mostly from the silent era to 60's with occasional forays into 80's and 90's film) released theatrically. I don't see any reason to altar that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not as though TCM never showed Psycho, Imitation of Life or Thoroughly Modern Millie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they only show his first "Star-making" picture A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958)
then I'll be content. And it's not like they haven't shown it once before (over a decade ago)...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I'm not keen on showing Made-for-TV movies on TCM."

--------------------

One thing I wish they'd show that was made for TV is "The Scarlett O'Hara Wars," part of the Moviola miniseries (the other segments might be appropriate for TCM as well, I believe they were period pieces) about the search for an actress to play Scarlett O'Hara. Bill Macy and Tony Curtis were too old to play the Selznick brothers, but the actresses they cast as the stars of the day were, as I remember, spot on. And I still remember that funny line David O. Selznick said when the police paid him a visit for violation of the Mann Act..."You must want my brother, Myron..."

 

BLU 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so john gavin's exceptionally good performance shouldn't be highlighted only because cutter's trail was made for TV?

there is so much more that tcm could be showing in terms of movies but they refuse to expand their fixed coffer of films.

hot spell, they have no reason not to procure and show that.

anthony quinn, shirley booth, eileen heckart and one of shirley maclaine's earliest screen appearances. produced by hal wallis. based on a novel by southern writer james poe.

quinn starred in an italian movie as attila with sophia loren. they won't show that either.

what is this? are tcm cinemaphiles or aren't they? let's go fellas. let's knock it off with the lethargic routine.

viewers are waiting to watch movies.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

hot spell, they have no reason not to procure and show that.

I got some good news and I got some bad news.

The good news is I got an early peek at the June schedule, and guess what's scheduled for a primetime slot? Hot Spell!

The bad news is it's the rarely shown International version that's mostly silent, with only a score and sound effects, but the dialogue is silent with intertitles.

tumblr_ok4uq9fhu31rfd7lko1_400.gif

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

so john gavin's exceptionally good performance shouldn't be highlighted only because cutter's trail was made for TV?

there is so much more that tcm could be showing in terms of movies but they refuse to expand their fixed coffer of films.

hot spell, they have no reason not to procure and show that.

anthony quinn, shirley booth, eileen heckart and one of shirley maclaine's earliest screen appearances. produced by hal wallis. based on a novel by southern writer james poe.

quinn starred in an italian movie as attila with sophia loren. they won't show that either.

what is this? are tcm cinemaphiles or aren't they? let's go fellas. let's knock it off with the lethargic routine.

viewers are waiting to watch movies.

:)

I prefer the 'lethargic' routine. 

TCM was designed to show flicks from the 30's,40's, 50's and 60's, as far as I am concerned they have already expanded their horizons by showing the occasional movie from the 70's, 80's, 90's and even some from the 21st century.

There are hardly any other channels that are dedicated to movies from the studio era movies, I see no reason why TCM should altar the programming they have now.

There are a few made for TV movies I wouldn't mind seeing myself, but let them get their own channel and leave TCM alone. 

I certainly don't want to see TCM going down the same route that AMC did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

TCM was designed to show flicks from the 30's,40's, 50's and 60's, as far as I am concerned they have already expanded their horizons by showing the occasional movie from the 70's, 80's, 90's and even some from the 21st century.

Just a reminder that the channel has always shown more recent movies, and that was included in the channel's initial mission statement by Robert Osborne during the first broadcast the channel ever made. Yes, the predominant emphasis would be on movies from the silent era through the mid-60's, but they were always open to showing movies from the 70's, 80's and 90's, which is when the channel began. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, all I can tell you people about this whole "showing later made classic films on TCM" thing is that I FINALLY got to watch There Will Be Blood (2007) when TCM broadcast it last week during their annual tribute to Oscar month, AND I found myself thinking after watching it that IF Daniel Day-Lewis DOESN'T give one of THE greatest performances EVER on film, then I don't know a damn thing about classic movies!!!

So THERE! :P

(...and IF anyone wants to argue this point with me now, I'LL drink YOUR damn milkshake TOO!!!)

LOL  ;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2018 at 6:54 PM, Dargo said:

Hey, all I can tell you people about this whole "showing later made classic films on TCM" thing is that I FINALLY got to watch There Will Be Blood (2007) when TCM broadcast it last week during their annual tribute to Oscar month, AND I found myself thinking after watching it that IF Daniel Day-Lewis DOESN'T give one of THE greatest performances EVER on film, then I don't know a damn thing about classic movies!!!

So THERE! :P

(...and IF anyone wants to argue this point with me now, I'LL drink YOUR damn milkshake TOO!!!)

LOL  ;)

"FINALLY" Likewise D.
DDL is almost a one man show of human dispicability, and yet he is so mesmerizing in his performance that one cannot keep their eyes off him. 
Also loved that highly quotable scene.
He and Streep are certainly among (if not) the best modern character actors today!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us