SueSueApplegate

NEW HOSTS DAVE KARGER AND ALICIA MALONE...

90 posts in this topic

Dave Karger is definitely qualified to be a host, but I find him a little boring. He's slowly starting grow on me. I don't know who Alicia Malone is. We need a female host, so I wish her well. Good luck to both of them.

As my WIFE'S name s ALICIA, I'll probably like the new hostess regardless.  BTW:  I pronounce it "Ah-LEE-see-ya".

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I've been rooting for Dave Karger to be a permanent host since he first appeared. I've always thought he was the best possible replacement for the absolutely irreplaceable Robert Osborne.

• Like 2

I like both of these folks. The article also states that Tiffany V. will continue working with TCM in their social media dept. Good for her to be able to stay in some capacity.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Alicia yet, but just went through a battery of Dave's intros this month.  Looks promising.  They are both under 70 or 80, but give them a chance.

• Like 1

I mentioned in the other "new hosts" thread that I finally saw an intro by Karger on something I had taped, and that it left something to be desired. Karger wasn't really to blame, although he was a bit stiff, and had a rictus grin the whole time. The real problem was what he had to say. I don't recall the movie, so I'll be vague, but it was along the lines of:

"We're focusing on Gern Blanston all month long. Here's a movie he was in. Gern Blanston plays a man. Jennie James plays a woman. The man meets the woman. Things happen to them. So, from 1942, here's Gern Blanston and Jennie James in And Then Things Happened."

It was really that banal, with zero information of note. But that's on the cue card writers, and not Karger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I mentioned in the other "new hosts" thread that I finally saw an intro by Karger on something I had taped, and that it left something to be desired. Karger wasn't really to blame, although he was a bit stiff, and had a rictus grin the whole time. The real problem was what he had to say. I don't recall the movie, so I'll be vague, but it was along the lines of:

"We're focusing on Gern Blanston all month long. Here's a movie he was in. Gern Blanston plays a man. Jennie James plays a woman. The man meets the woman. Things happen to them. So, from 1942, here's Gern Blanston and Jennie James in And Then Things Happened."

It was really that banal, with zero information of note. But that's on the cue card writers, and not Karger.

I mentioned in another thread that I was distressed to see his intros to The Great Lie and Three Faces of Eve hinging almost entirely on a description of plot developments. These are two films that are heavy on plot twists, and I felt he gave away far too much information for the first-time viewers 31 Days draws. He essentially said everything that was going to happen in those two films except for their endings. I hope he refines this approach a bit in the future.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

As my WIFE'S name s ALICIA, I'll probably like the new hostess regardless.  BTW:  I pronounce it "Ah-LEE-see-ya".

Sepiatone

Hmmmm....now Sepia.

Isn't that what you said in that "The Greatest Has Died" thread a few years back?

But then added, "in the next life", at the end of your post?

(...hey, sometimes these things just write themselves, ya know) ;)

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I mentioned in the other "new hosts" thread that I finally saw an intro by Karger on something I had taped, and that it left something to be desired. Karger wasn't really to blame, although he was a bit stiff, and had a rictus grin the whole time.

This! That permagrin is quite disturbing, especially if paired with more somber material like The Sorrow and the Pity, or trying to explain why films depicting The Great Depression are a monument to Capitalism's outright failure (oops, that's Ben's job...).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, limey said:

This! That permagrin is quite disturbing, especially if paired with more somber material like The Sorrow and the Pity, or trying to explain why films depicting The Great Depression are a monument to Capitalism's outright failure (oops, that's Ben's job...).

I always remember *"ANNIE HALL" when I ever see or hear about that docu "Sorrow and the Pity"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I mentioned in another thread that I was distressed to see his intros to The Great Lie and Three Faces of Eve hinging almost entirely on a description of plot developments. These are two films that are heavy on plot twists, and I felt he gave away far too much information for the first-time viewers 31 Days draws. He essentially said everything that was going to happen in those two films except for their endings. I hope he refines this approach a bit in the future.

Plus, he is yet another in the "PC CROWD!"

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Hmmmm....now Sepia.

Isn't that what you said in that "The Greatest Has Died" thread a few years back?

But then added, "in the next life", at the end of your post?

(...hey, sometimes these things just write themselves, ya know) ;)

Sorry.  Don't recall any of that. :(

Sepiatone

On 3/3/2018 at 10:12 AM, yanceycravat said:

I've been rooting for Dave Karger to be a permanent host since he first appeared. I've always thought he was the best possible replacement for the absolutely irreplaceable Robert Osborne.

I'm glad too. He's been on before as a guest. He's media savvy. He'll be a welcome addition. I'm not familiar with the other person, but I wish her well.

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎04 at 4:27 AM, spence said:

Why are you so hung up on the "PC CROWD" recently spence? That doesn't seem like you!

On 3/4/2018 at 3:27 AM, spence said:

I'm in the Linux users crowd.  But at the same time, that doesn't make me a "purple penguin".

Tux the penguin

You can have Linux on a PC, which is after all just a desktop computer.  I'm running dual-boot, although I never boot into Windows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fedya said:

You can have Linux on a PC, which is after all just a desktop computer.  I'm running dual-boot, although I never boot into Windows.

LOL  I have a Windows 7 partition on a removable HDD for my laptop.  Haven't used it once, it has sort of become a storage drive.  I have a couple other computers (desktops) which are Windows but not Internet-connected anymore.  They run my video capture and video processing software.

14 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I'm in the Linux users crowd.  But at the same time, that doesn't make me a "purple penguin".

Tux the penguin

Here's a PC crowd...

police_1456188c.jpg;)

2 minutes ago, Fedya said:

I would have gone with the other PC:

aberystwyth-wales-uk-october-11-2013-pla

Da iawn!

6 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Looks like a cushy job.  I wonder what the benefits are like.

I don't think it's that cushy - you have to deal with the great unwashed public (and you generally don't get to play with guns & fast cars in the UK).

TCM quietly ushered Alicia Malone in on Sunday.  I thought she was quite lovely, personable and rock solid as a presenter. Certainly a welcome edition to the TCM On Air hosts.  I'm guessing there will be a few who complain about her accent.

Was Robert Osborne perfect for the job or did we just totally accept him from the beginning? Trying to find that one person who has the same universal appeal seems incredibly daunting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1