SueSueApplegate

NEW HOSTS DAVE KARGER AND ALICIA MALONE...

128 posts in this topic

Are they splitting wknds between Karger and Malone? Has it been stated when they'll be doing their intros??? I havent seen her yet.

34 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Are they splitting wknds between Karger and Malone? Has it been stated when they'll be doing their intros??? I havent seen her yet.

The article states that Ben will remain the Thursday through Sunday primetime host, while Karger and Malone will rotate through all the other needed intros.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like Karger, I'm not so much a fan of his Cheshire Cat smile, but he's good.  I really liked Alicia Malone, much more than I did Tiffany.  Alicia had a more conversational, casual approach to her introductions.  She didn't sound like she was giving a speech to her high school public speaking class.  I also really like Alicia's accent--I think it sounds cool and she gives an overall much more favorable vibe.  For me at least.  I look forward to seeing more of her. 

• Like 3

On the third different thread, I'm going to post that he so far tends to give away way too much information about the plot of a film. He certainly has with The Three Faces of Eve, which he's introduced twice now in his short time on TCM. The first time he introduced it, he told the viewer literally 90 per cent of what happens in a film that is heavy on plot twists and surprises regarding the psyche of its main character. He didn't say how it ended, but he revealed EVERYTHING right up to almost the end. I was interested to see if his second introduction would be any different, but it wasn't. Other than he didn't mention 31 Days this time, his intro was a word-for-word repeat of his first one.

Dave, I know the odds you'll actually read this are, well, zero, but maybe some functionary who has contact with you will see it: part of the fun of watching a movie is being surprised by the plot! Especially if it's a movie that's intended to surprise you! Every movie TCM airs is being watched for the first time by somebody! Don't keep giving away the whole movie before they've even seen it! I beg you!

I'm starting to become as repetitive about this as you-know-who is about that Hot movie, but I'm just sayin' ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The article states that Ben will remain the Thursday through Sunday primetime host, while Karger and Malone will rotate through all the other needed intros.

I see. OK. Thanks. I saw Dave Karger last night and was wondering.....

• Like 1

Those who watch Filmstruck streaming videos have seen Alicia Malone.  She sometimes appears in on-screen intros for the films.  She is Aussie, with an accent.  I would love to see her introduce TCM Imports, or any foreign films TCM airs.  On Filmstruck she introduces a lot of foreign classics so she would be good at it.

Hosting within the TCM channel should be within most people's capability.  What is difficult, and what makes Robert Osborne hard to replace, is handling those large, live, important events that are seen by lots of people like the TCM festivals and other special events.  When Mank appeared at the Oscars a few years ago he made this inane remark on live TV.  We DON'T want someone from TCM showing up in these important moments and make all of us TCM fans look bad!

2 hours ago, DVDPhreak said:

Those who watch Filmstruck streaming videos have seen Alicia Malone.  She sometimes appears in on-screen intros for the films.  She is Aussie, with an accent.  I would love to see her introduce TCM Imports, or any foreign films TCM airs.  On Filmstruck she introduces a lot of foreign classics so she would be good at it.

Hosting within the TCM channel should be within most people's capability.  What is difficult, and what makes Robert Osborne hard to replace, is handling those large, live, important events that are seen by lots of people like the TCM festivals and other special events.  When Mank appeared at the Oscars a few years ago he made this inane remark on live TV.  We DON'T want someone from TCM showing up in these important moments and make all of us TCM fans look bad!

What exactly did he say during the interview that you viewed as inane?

53 minutes ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

If you'll click on where DVDPhreak underlined the words "this inane remark", it'll bring you to a YouTube video of nasally Ben talking about which actor and which movies that year he thought would have the best chance of winning the Oscar while he was on the pre-Oscar telecast red carpet.

(...and frankly, other than, once again, Ben's "nasally voice", I personally didn't have a problem with his little "Green Bay Packers playing a high school football team" analogy there...but then again, I'm a pretty big football fan TOO, ya know!) ;)

LOL 

3 hours ago, DVDPhreak said:

A TCM host makes TCM fans look bad?     Wow,  talk about insecurity. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

part of the fun of watching a movie is being surprised by the plot!

In A Night to Remember, the ship hits an iceberg.

The Japanese attack at the end of From Here to Eternity.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, DVDPhreak said:

Hosting within the TCM channel should be within most people's capability.

Have you ever done any broadcasting?

I was a newsreader at my college radio station ages ago, and even without having to worry about blocking, it's a lot more difficult than you'd think.

On 3/5/2018 at 6:21 PM, LawrenceA said:

"Needed intros?" Who needs intros?

1 minute ago, Fedya said:

Have you ever done any broadcasting?

I was a newsreader at my college radio station ages ago, and even without having to worry about blocking, it's a lot more difficult than you'd think.

I agree with this especially in this hyper sensitive age we live in.   

1 minute ago, Swithin said:

Yes,  Alfonso Bedoya had an answer for that.   :lol:

7 minutes ago, Fedya said:

In A Night to Remember, the ship hits an iceberg.

The Japanese attack at the end of From Here to Eternity.

LOL

Yeah, and Jimmy Stewart makes it all the way to Paris in that rickety little plane of his.

(...don't forget THAT one, Fedya!) ;)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, and Jimmy Stewart makes it all the way to Paris in that rickety little plane of his.

(...don't forget THAT one, Fedya!) ;)

Well if I was a host I wouldn't give away the ending to The Alamo (1960) since John Wayne was the star and his contract may have called for his character to NOT die in the film.    :lol:

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well if I was a host I wouldn't give away the ending to The Alamo (1960) since John Wayne was the star and his contract may have called for his character to NOT die in the film.    :lol:

LOL

Eeh! By 1960, Big Duke had already died MANY a time in movies, James...and as I'm sure you know. ;)

(...and speakin' o' which...I still love that story that Bruce Dern tells about his conversation with the big lug just before the scene was filmed in The Cowboys where Dern shoots him in the back...you remember that one, don't ya?!)

4 hours ago, DVDPhreak said:

He didn't make anyone look bad and especially not fans of the channel. :wacko: He was asked his opinion and he shared it.

3 hours ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

Yeah, I didn't hear anything "inane". He said there was a chance Social Network might sneak out with a Best Picture win, but he also said The King's Speech was the favorite, and indeed, it won. All his other predictions were correct. Do you mean the Green Bay Packers analogy was inane? That's all I can figure. He's just trying to say something Joe Schmo can relate to. He was not talking specifically to the TCM crowd that night. I didn't really find that so inane, either.

What really got my attention, though, was the clip ends on a freeze frame of Kevin Spacey, obviously during happier times for him!

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

Not I. But the last time I suggested no hosts, I was chased away with torches and pitchforks. :unsure:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Not I. But the last time I suggested no hosts, I was chased away with torches and pitchforks. :unsure:

"Fire...BAD!!!"

• Haha 2

Finally got around to seeing some of Alicia Malone's intros.  I was caught off guard, but in a good way.  Maybe it was the accent, or maybe it was her eyes which drew me in, in a classic starlet sort of way.  I found her approach friendly and conversational.

Two nice choices, in my opinion.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A TCM host makes TCM fans look bad?     Wow,  talk about insecurity. 

When a TCM host makes cringeworthy comments on live TV seen by the whole word, we should cringe.  And when we cringe, we look bad, literally (go look at a mirror when you cringe).

14 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

He didn't make anyone look bad and especially not fans of the channel. :wacko: He was asked his opinion and he shared it.

He also compared the other nominees who were not frontrunners as "high school football teams, and not good ones at that."  Essentially he was saying the other nominees were totally worthless.  James Franco was one of the nominees that year whom Mank compared to a high school football team, and he (Franco) mentioned in a post-Oscar interview that he wasn't happy.  It was just a bad, cringeworthy analogy because all nominees should be considered winners.

Saw Alicia last night. Dont like her accent (but she cant help it!) But she seems knowledgeable and camera ready. She'll be ok.