SueSueApplegate

NEW HOSTS DAVE KARGER AND ALICIA MALONE...

90 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, limey said:

I think that there may be a generational aspect at play with this - when I was a nipper, TV stations used to show a couple of movies a day as part of their regular schedule & these were nearly always older than I was. Later on, as schedules became 24/7, the overnight was oft populated with old b/w flicks of yore - that's really where my taste for 'classic' was nurtured.

I agree with this. Old films were a big part of early TV. Maybe if you don't imprint kids early with B&W images it's not going to take like it did with us. Maybe a conscious effort to put intergrate that type on content in childrens shows, not necessarily old stuff, but someone along the lines of say Tim Burton tends to drift in that direction. I'm sure there are others. A few Our Gang short clips, not the full reels (attention spans are much shorter nowadays), interspersed with other stuff, like part of a full spectrum of children entertainment.

That's where I was first exposed. I can still remember watching old films in the afternoon when our local station ran them when I was in grade school. I knew all the stars! LOL.

3 hours ago, limey said:

I think that there may be a generational aspect at play with this - when I was a nipper, TV stations used to show a couple of movies a day as part of their regular schedule & these were nearly always older than I was. Later on, as schedules became 24/7, the overnight was oft populated with old b/w flicks of yore - that's really where my taste for 'classic' was nurtured.

I agree;   what I'm calling 'regular' T.V. networks (e.g. national ones like CBS, NBC,  or local ones) would show some 'old movies',  typically in the late evening or early morning hours,  each day.     I was able to tape (yea TAPE!),  many of these and had a collection of over 500 studio-era films (and since I didn't like taping commercials I would set the alarm to get up and tape them 'manually').    I was a computer programmer at a small company and I had very flexible hours.  

But how only a select number of stations show studio-era movies and these are mostly nostalgic stations like Get-TV (stations that also show mostly 50s - 60s TV shows).

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I agree with this. Old films were a big part of early TV. Maybe if you don't imprint kids early with B&W images it's not going to take like it did with us. Maybe a conscious effort to put intergrate that type on content in childrens shows, not necessarily old stuff, but someone along the lines of say Tim Burton tends to drift in that direction. I'm sure there are others. A few Our Gang short clips, not the full reels (attention spans are much shorter nowadays), interspersed with other stuff, like part of a full spectrum of children entertainment.

I was with you, right up until the part about attention spans - yes, these may be shorter today, but the very last thing we need to do is to pander further to that trend! Young minds need to be encouraged to explore the nuances & possibilities of presented ideas, rather than being served up pre-chewed, partially digested homogenized chunks. If folks can't make it through a 10 minute Our Gang reel, then all hope is lost...

On 3/4/2018 at 1:22 AM, limey said:

This! That permagrin is quite disturbing, especially if paired with more somber material like The Sorrow and the Pity, or trying to explain why films depicting The Great Depression are a monument to Capitalism's outright failure (oops, that's Ben's job...).

"permagrin"?

Who coined that, as I've encountered this style of Moonie reaction to everything a few times in my life. It is very disconcerting. I had one such person smile continually at me [with a giant dental grin that looked like Conrad Veidt in "The Man Who Laughs" film] that was denying my request for a replacement of a defective dvd at some big giant conglomerate store, even though I had a receipt. I finally said to her "Why are you smiling?" I think she was an alien or a follower of Warren Jeffs. I finally had to ask for a manager with a normal facial position who also had no idea why she was smiling but asked her why she was refusing my valid refund. And she still kept smiling. Creepy!

Not that I think this new male host is any way near that overly happy. He just seems a little more happy than most, but admittedly not a good look for introducing "The Sorrow and the Pity".

It's true, Robert Osborne had just the right amounts of humor, seriousness, and all other attributes that made for a great host. Too many people make the intros about showing off or being a know it all, but he always seemed really just interested in sharing a film with others. Not criticizing the new hosts though for anything as they seem acceptably okay.

• Like 1

Isn't that why twitter was created? LOL.

1 hour ago, limey said:

If folks can't make it through a 10 minute Our Gang reel, then all hope is lost...

10 minutes, I was under the impression they were half hour shows, or maybe I'm thinking of the half hour TV program they may have had 3, 10 minute reels or 2 of them interspersed with commercials.

14 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

10 minutes, I was under the impression they were half hour shows, or maybe I'm thinking of the half hour TV program they may have had 3, 10 minute reels or 2 of them interspersed with commercials.

I think some were pretty short, but I'd need to check that in my records (on a different computer). I was concentrating more on the reel part. Either way, attention spans are only going to get smaller & smaller, unless folks again become accustomed to concentrating on something long enough for POTUS to announce his entire foreign policy doctrine via twitter... (yes, sorry that was a political joke)

28 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Isn't that why twitter was created? LOL.

LOL. I rest my case.

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

"permagrin"?

Who coined that, as I've encountered this style of Moonie reaction to everything a few times in my life. It is very disconcerting.

I use that expression,  but I don't think that I coined it - just seemed to fit. I don't really have a problem with Dave (even his earlier stints on quite non-classic stuff) - he presents well & effectively and seems a nice enough bloke. It's more that the grin tends to make me think that I'm about to get another rapid-fire infomercial on 1-800-DURAWOTSIT, the miracle gadget that will save you time & money, boost your love life & seal leaky gutters! But wait - there's more... :P

• Like 1

"Permagrin"??? Isn't that some kind'a Falcon or somethin'???

(...sorry, couldn't resist...and yes limey ol' boy, couldn't agree more with you about Dave's "permagrin"...I too can't believe the guy doesn't have more of a repertoire of facial expressions than THAT one!)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

"Permagrin"??? Isn't that some kind'a Falcon or somethin'???

(...sorry, couldn't resist...and yes limey ol' boy, couldn't agree more with you about Dave's "permagrin"...I too can't believe the guy doesn't have more of a repertoire of facial expressions than THAT one!)

LOL - now I've got the idea of Harrison Ford & Chewy scooting around the Empire in their Permagrin Falcon (repeatedly having to thump something or nick spare teeth from Vader's locker in order to keep the Light Grin Jump drive going)...

4 hours ago, limey said:

I was with you, right up until the part about attention spans - yes, these may be shorter today, but the very last thing we need to do is to pander further to that trend! Young minds need to be encouraged to explore the nuances & possibilities of presented ideas, rather than being served up pre-chewed, partially digested homogenized chunks. If folks can't make it through a 10 minute Our Gang reel, then all hope is lost...

I'll bet if they had on tape the time Alfalfa [according to Robert Blake] urinated all over the studio kleg lights, lots of people would have at least ten minutes to watch the aftermath, when the odors started emanating all over the studio causing it to be closed down.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

I'll bet if they had on tape the time Alfalfa [according to Robert Blake] urinated all over the studio kleg lights, lots of people would have at least ten minutes to watch the aftermath, when the odors started emanating all over the studio causing it to be closed down.

Yikes! Those things are heavy duty wattage - taking a leak on one of 'em may risk a whole lot more unintended aftermath than just nasty pongs... :o

9 minutes ago, limey said:

Yikes! Those things are heavy duty wattage - taking a leak on one of 'em may risk a whole lot more unintended aftermath than just nasty pongs... :o

Maybe that's what kept the part going in Switzer's hair?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

Say, wasn't it right after this incident when Alfalfa was sent off to school in some little upstate New York town?...

20111215-142115-001_medium.jpeg

(...and where of course he was still causin' trouble even during his high school prom?!)