Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

Gay Theme Biofilms

70 posts in this topic

How commercial does a motion picture about Tab and Tony seem? It would probably work better as a made-for-cable film. 

If it's successful, will it spawn other such biopics?

Tyrone Power & Cesar Romero were rumored to have been lovers during their days at Fox.

Danny Kaye & Laurence Olivier have been discussed as a romantic pair for years.

Patsy Kelly & Tallulah Bankhead -- now that would make an interesting film!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

How commercial does a motion picture about Tab and Tony seem? It would probably work better as a made-for-cable film. 

If it's successful, will it spawn other such biopics?

Tyrone Power & Cesar Romero were rumored to have been lovers during their days at Fox.

Danny Kaye & Laurence Olivier have been discussed as a romantic pair for years.

Patsy Kelly & Tallulah Bankhead -- now that would make an interesting film!

I  hope it's made for the theater or at least get a theatrical release- but who will they cast as Tab and Tony?

9 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I  hope it's made for the theater or at least get a theatrical release- but who will they cast as Tab and Tony?

Some unknowns hoping to make a name for themselves, maybe.

It's probably better if it's someone we've never heard of before, without an established screen persona, so we can buy into them as Tab or Tony.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Some unknowns hoping to make a name for themselves, maybe.

It's probably better if it's someone we've never heard of before, without an established screen persona, so we can buy into them as Tab or Tony.

Yeah that's they way I would do it if I was producing the film- but the roles are potential Oscar bait so an actor might risk playing gay for award season glory.   They do have to cast two guys who no only resemble Tab and Tony but they have to have chemistry to be convincing as lovers

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Yeah that's they way I would do it if I was producing the film- but the roles are potential Oscar bait so an actor might risk playing gay for award season glory.   They do have to cast two guys who no only resemble Tab and Tony but they have to have chemistry to be convincing as lovers

His son Oz Perkins resembles him.

Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 5.40.29 PM.jpg

• Like 2

Oz Perkins even sound like his father- but he seems to be more interested in directing these days...

• Thanks 1

Lucas Till has the blonde good looks to play Tab Hunter ...

I saw another article about this today, and that one made it sound more like a biopic on Tab Hunter, with the Anthony Perkins aspect just part of it.

As for commercial appeal, no one is expecting a blockbuster. Abrams and Quinto have Star Wars and Star Trek money, so working on smaller passion projects seems to be their motive. Making a small profit on top of critical acclaim would be the goal.

After the success of Call Me By Your Name, I'm surprised there hasn't been more gay-themed films announced, although there have been some.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw another article about this today, and that one made it sound more like a biopic on Tab Hunter, with the Anthony Perkins aspect just part of it.

As for commercial appeal, no one is expecting a blockbuster. Abrams and Quinto have Star Wars and Star Trek money, so working on smaller passion projects seems to be their motive. Making a small profit on top of critical acclaim would be the goal.

After the success of Call Me By Your Name, I'm surprised there hasn't been more gay-themed films announced, although there have been some.

The same thing happened after "Brokeback Mountain" (2005) and we are still waiting for the film versions of " The Front Runner", "Take Me Out" ect.  This is obviously a small project with Oscar bait potential. We do need more gay films on the big screen.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Re: your second paragraph, Larry, while I don't think these kinds of movies (passion projects) are meant to be blockbusters they usually have limited budgets so they can break even in a limited run or exclusive engagement. They probably make most of their money when they are leased to streaming sites and sold on home video. The best they can hope for is that they become sleeper hits, which sometimes happens if they end up receiving nominations for awards. But typically they have to break even financially...guys like Abrams & Quinto aren't going to want to foot the whole bill for a passion project on money they've made from other bigger hit films. Nobody makes movies to go into debt. Even with a narrow audience, a film needs to have some sort of commercial value.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Making a small profit on top of critical acclaim would be the goal.

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Nobody makes movies to go into debt. Even with a narrow audience, a film needs to have some sort of commercial value.

If you'll notice the line quoted from my previous post, I already stated that. I never said they wanted to lose money.

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If you'll notice the line quoted from my previous post, I already stated that. I never said they wanted to lose money.

Thanks for clarifying. I would add that another goal is to have a project that nets awards, since some of the blockbusters tend to get shut out of the acting categories.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jaragon said:

And how about Darren Chris as Perkins....

I think you should become a casting director. :)

• Like 2

Pier Paolo Pasolini and the great love of his life, Ninetto Davoli -

con-Ninetto-3-e1483153530263.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rayban said:

Pier Paolo Pasolini and the great love of his life, Ninetto Davoli -

con-Ninetto-3-e1483153530263.jpg

Passolini liked them rough which was his undoing- was it murder or was he a victim of a political assassination?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jaragon said:

Passolini liked them rough which was his undoing- was it murder or was he a victim of a political assassination?

The young man who was convicted of his murder did recant his testimony.

He blamed a gang of thugs who threatened the life of his family.

The matter was then investigated.

But there was no supporting evidence.

pino-pelosi-675.jpg

Pino Pelosi, the young man who was convicted of Pasolini's murder.

Twenty-nine years later, he recanted his testimony.

11 hours ago, rayban said:

The young man who was convicted of his murder did recant his testimony.

He blamed a gang of thugs who threatened the life of his family.

The matter was then investigated.

But there was no supporting evidence.

pino-pelosi-675.jpg

Pino Pelosi, the young man who was convicted of Pasolini's murder.

Twenty-nine years later, he recanted his testimony.

Obviously Passolini had a type...

• Like 1