Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

Gay Theme Biofilms

89 posts in this topic

I'd like to see a biographical film about Christopher Isherwood and Don Bachardy.

Some time ago, there was an excellent documentary about their life together.

portrait-of-american-artist-don-bachardy

la-1498766618-09jdgbwo6c-snap-image

• Like 2

Allen Ginsberg and Peter Orlovsky as well. They were together many years.

• Like 1

DougieB, James Franco made a film about them a few years ago.

howl-james-franco-allen-ginsberg.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rayban said:

DougieB, James Franco made a film about them a few years ago.

howl-james-franco-allen-ginsberg.png

I'm really slipping. I actually saw and liked that film.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 6:28 PM, rayban said:

No, not you, you couldn't be slipping.

Believe it. I think maybe part of the reason it slipped my mind is that it registered more as James Franco giving a performance as Allen Ginsberg than as a living, breathing evocation of Ginsberg. Of course, my real familiarity with Ginsberg comes from a later point in his life, which is better documented with visual and audio recordings, so maybe it's unfair of me to say that about Franco's performance, which was a good one. 

• Like 1

To tell the truth, I'm not that crazy about James Franco.

But I do remember that particular film.

Did you see "King Cobra", which is based on an actual crime case?

There's a hard-edged sex scene with him and his partner which focuses on **** intercourse.

I was surprised that he'd go that far on film.

Because he has said that he identifies as a gay man -

but he does not want to have sex with men!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rayban said:

Maybe he's just shy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rayban said:

To tell the truth, I'm not that crazy about James Franco.

But I do remember that particular film.

Did you see "King Cobra", which is based on an actual crime case?

There's a hard-edged sex scene with him and his partner which focuses on **** intercourse.

I was surprised that he'd go that far on film.

I hope the handsome Mr Franco keeps on making his quirky films

• Like 1

How about the untold love story of Roger Peyrefitte and Alain-Phillippe Malagnac?

They met during the filming of "This Special Friendship".

The film was released in France in 1964.

Roger-Peyrefitte.jpg

• Like 2

Searchlight Plans A Scotty Bowers Biopic

searchlight-plans-a-scotty-bowers-biopic

Timed with the release of the documentary feature “Scotty and the Secret History of Hollywood,” Fox Searchlight has announced it is teaming with that film’s producers Matt Tyrnauer and partner Corey Reeser for a narrative feature remake. No director or writer are yet attached.

The doco and film would follow the younger days of ex-Marine Scotty Bowers, the tousle-haired author of the scandalous 2012 memoir “Full Service” in which he used Hollywood gas station to help enable many of the Golden Age of Hollywood’s biggest closeted gay and bisexual stars to hookup. His client list included Cary Grant, Charles Laughton and Randolph Scott along with famed writers like Tennessee Williams and Gore Vidal, and more controversially Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn.

Bowers, now well into his nineties, wrote his Hollywood tell-all after the marquee names were all dead. Tyrnauer and Reeser are behind such acclaimed documentaries as “Valentino: The Last Emperor,” “Citizen Jane: Battle for the City” and “Studio 54”.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/searchlight-plans-a-scotty-bowers-biopic/

• Like 3

It'll be interesting to see how a feature film will deal with the "marquee names". Hope they don't chicken out and use composite or fictionalized characters, or go the middle ground and just never name them and leave the audience to figure it out. It's a unique story about a specific person's experiences, so I hope they just tell it like it was told in the book, using all the disclaimers they want as long as the tale isn't diluted or censored. That doesn't mean I don't think the filmmakers should have their own point of view either. After all, Scotty was married while this was going on, so I'm sure the dynamics of that relationship would have to come into it. Hopefully, Scotty will be available as an advisor.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougieB said:

It'll be interesting to see how a feature film will deal with the "marquee names". Hope they don't chicken out and use composite or fictionalized characters, or go the middle ground and just never name them and leave the audience to figure it out. It's a unique story about a specific person's experiences, so I hope they just tell it like it was told in the book, using all the disclaimers they want as long as the tale isn't diluted or censored. That doesn't mean I don't think the filmmakers should have their own point of view either. After all, Scotty was married while this was going on, so I'm sure the dynamics of that relationship would have to come into it. Hopefully, Scotty will be available as an advisor.

I just don't see them "naming the names".

Can you imagine the backlash with beloved icons like Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayban said:

I just don't see them "naming the names".

Can you imagine the backlash with beloved icons like Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy?

You could very well be right, but I hope not. Those icons are beloved (or, in some cases not) by us TCM fans, but I wouldn't be surprised if their memory has faded, or begun to fade, with the general public. Someone mentioned on a thread not too long ago that young people of her acquaintance had never heard of Elvis Presley, who was the premier youth icon of his day. Not that people that young would be the target audience for this film, but maybe times have changed enough for people to look more closely at an era when studios routinely whitewashed their stars' lives for public consumption. In a way, it's possible it could even make these stars more relatable to a modern audience if they were more fully humanized. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure the filmmakers will hesitate to disappoint readers of the book, but who knows?

I haven't seen the documentary. Does anyone know how the "names" were handled?

• Like 1