spence

Anybody agree on recent thoughts of Bill Murray hosting the *Oscars?

22 posts in this topic

Saw this somewhere on the internet & since then asked friends & others if they agreed or not

A website, may have been EW, put out the concept of a few greats that have never as yet hosted the *Oscars & Bill Murray was thee 1 that mostly was suggested

Many know too he's even been an official contender for the wonderful 2003 comedy-drama "Lost in Translation" ($45m.)

Him above all in my own book & Jerry Seinfeld is another, though not in Murray's league.

Both extremely a far better choice then Jimmy Kimmel again

& on every single poll/survey of *Oscar fans, they vote Billy Crystal as A #1 to ever host the epic program

Apparently main reason he doesn't seem to want to host them again is as he says "It's just too grueling & top bring a couple pair of sneakers"  Back when all-time champ Bob Hope-(l903-=2003) set the record for by far the most years as a host-(15 to 18) the show wasn't as huge or long

THANKS & YOUR COMMENTS PLEASE

Had forgotten another terrific role that majority of critics truly thought he'd not only snag his first nom but maybe even win Best Supporting Actor for 1998's "Rushmore" ($18m.) (***1/2-out of 4 stars)

I think Murray would be a great host for the Oscars, certainly better than Kimmel, but I doubt he'll ever do it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I think Murray would be a great host for the Oscars, certainly better than Kimmel, but I doubt he'll ever do it.

Agreed - his presence might tempt me to watch, but I don't see him doing it either.

Murray is always interesting - whenever his 'Under the Influence' interview turns up, I usually find myself watching it.

• Like 1

I would like to see Murray as host, as well. He has a quick wit and his comic insults don't seem so mean, for some reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

No, no & please no!

facebook-linked_image___bill-murray-or-t

You made Bill saaaaaaad. ;)

• Haha 2

Just now, limey said:

facebook-linked_image___bill-murray-or-t

You made Bill saaaaaaad. ;)

Limey-- I don't know what to say. I've NEVER liked Bill Murray from the first time I saw him on SNL. Some people just rub you the wrong way.

But I've got to say, I think that he was a half- step up from the Very Obnoxious Chevy Chase.

1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

Limey-- I don't know what to say. I've NEVER liked Bill Murray from the first time I saw him on SNL. Some people just rub you the wrong way.

But I've got to say, I think that he was a half- step up from the Very Obnoxious Chevy Chase.

I fully agree you with about the VO Chevy Chase & TBH, I wasn't a huge fan of Murray's movies for a long time - but he & his performances grew on me over time, to the point where I now count Groundhog Day as one of my guilty pleasures. Like sagebrush, I also found his overall style of humour funny without being relentlessly crass or mean. Not sure about SNL, as I really never saw much of it (or him on it).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spence said:

Had forgotten another terrific role that majority of critics truly thought he'd not only snag his first nom but maybe even win Best Supporting Actor for 1998's "Rushmore" ($18m.) (***1/2-out of 4 stars)

What about his offbeat and incredibly entertaining Bunny Breckinridge in Ed Wood (1994). 
Or the role reversals with Bill as a tough guy underworld gangster vs Robert De Niro as a "good guy" cop in Mad Dog and Glory (1993).
Even in his smaller parts such as Tootsie (1982) and Kingpin (1996) he is always such a stand-out character.
And for a comedic actor the guy has range, I mean Murray as FDR in Hyde Park on Hudson (2012), but it worked (for me at least).

I think he'd be a great host for the Oscars, TCM, ... practically anything!  
Too bad this is just wishful thinking here.    

• Like 2

I think Bill Murray is one of the funniest people on the planet, but I also think that he'd have zero interest in hosting the Oscars.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

And for a comedic actor the guy has range, I mean Murray as FDR in Hyde Park on Hudson (2012), but it worked (for me at least).

Thanks for reminding me about that one. I also liked his performance in Lost in Translation.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, limey said:

I fully agree you with about the VO Chevy Chase & TBH, I wasn't a huge fan of Murray's movies for a long time - but he & his performances grew on me over time, to the point where I now count Groundhog Day as one of my guilty pleasures. Like sagebrush, I also found his overall style of humour funny without being relentlessly crass or mean. Not sure about SNL, as I really never saw much of it (or him on it).

Agree with what you say here Limey. I was a big fan of SNL when it was new and radical. But not so much of Bill Murray back then.... and for a long time after.
I think he is an acquired taste. Perhaps like yourself, he "grew on me." But like a "mole" at the small of your back, I just never noticed it happening for a very long time.
I think my revelatory moment was when I sat down and watched Groundhog Day (1993) for the umpteenth time, and found myself actually liking the guy! I mean it was just like the movie itself. I had this feeling that Murray was this sort of entertaining but obnoxious guy in real life, but actually transitioned into someone that was really likeable.
And when I watched and listened to him in 'Under the Influence' and other interviews, he impressed me as  someone who is intelligent, observant, and really unpretentious. Someone that I enjoy listening to, and would like to converse with.
Whenever I watch Murray again in something that I long ago saw and didn't fully appreciate, it is with those new "seeing" eyes. And as far as  Groundhog Day goes, it has to rank as not only my favorite Murray performance, but one of my all time favorite "feel gooders."
What can I say. I really like the guy now, as a comedian, an actor, and as a person (but it didn't happen all at once).

• Like 3

I see Moderator1 lurking around the boards... I wish that he (or she) would exercise that "itchy" DELETION finger of hers (or his) and take-out that slew of garbage SPAM threads that persistently overloads the GD forum! <_<

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

What about his offbeat and incredibly entertaining Bunny Breckinridge in Ed Wood (1994). 

This. Of course, that is one of those few movies I always watch if I stumble across it while surfing. I also liked his "club singer" routine on SNL.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

I see Moderator1 lurking around the boards... I wish that he (or she) would exercise that "itchy" DELETION finger of hers (or his) and take-out that slew of garbage SPAM threads that persistently overloads the GD forum! <_<

Maybe Moderator1 ran out of the room screaming. The spam fairy has now driven what once were active threads to page 6.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

No, no & please no!

Richard Dreyfuss as Dr. Marvin in What About Bob, agrees.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Well, at least we know that K-spam will be gone in an hour or two--

Whereas we also know that Monday will be equally spammed with a certain Moderator-watched poster deluging us with "What does everoyone think of Lask knkight's *OSCAR surprises?", "That big mEmento with the *OSCAR presenter's las night!" "My early pickkks for *OSCAR 2119!", "My updated early-early pickkks for *OSCAR 20119!" and "Why is noobdy responding to my *OSCAR pests?" (half an hour after posting them)

...At least you can skim over the K-spam.

1 hour ago, Thenryb said:

Maybe Moderator1 ran out of the room screaming. The spam fairy has now driven what once were active threads to page 6.

(Let's just say, he ain't seen "Enough to run screaming out of the room" yet.  :o )

2 hours ago, Stephan55 said:

Agree with what you say here Limey. I was a big fan of SNL when it was new and radical. But not so much of Bill Murray back then.... and for a long time after.
I think he is an acquired taste. Perhaps like yourself, he "grew on me." But like a "mole" at the small of your back, I just never noticed it happening for a very long time.
I think my revelatory moment was when I sat down and watched Groundhog Day (1993) for the umpteenth time, and found myself actually liking the guy! I mean it was just like the movie itself. I had this feeling that Murray was this sort of entertaining but obnoxious guy in real life, but actually transitioned into someone that was really likeable.

Murray can't quite grasp his appeal, as he keeps either trying to be Kaufman-esque "quirky" with facetious stunts (did Space Jam have to immortalize that "I want to join the NBA" phase of his?), or move in to Indie Drama.

He only did Ghostbusters as a studio concession for them to let him do the deeply meaningful/personal The Razor's Edge (1984), and I think that's officially the turning point where we lost the hip Caddyshack/Stripes Murray to the sad, gray, jowly Lost in Translation Murray:  The deadpan, rebelliously laid-back Dr. Peter Venkman captured something perfectly 80's in "Ghostbusters", but lately, every time Murray does his own comedy, it has to have some Serious aspect to it--Like the whole subplot of his not being able to save the homeless victim in "Groundhog Day".

Nowadays, like Jim Carrey, if Murray does Comedy, it's usually some passive-superior snub to the audience expecting him to, or a quick soulless studio paycheck (like "Garfield" or "Larger Than Life"), to fund his more active sideline in appearing in "quirky" Wes Anderson indies...And yes, he's already voicing "Isle of Dogs".

3 hours ago, Thenryb said:

This. Of course, that is one of those few movies I always watch if I stumble across it while surfing. I also liked his "club singer" routing on SNL.

"And hey, how about Darth Vader in that black and evil mask? Did he scare you as much as he scared me?"

• Haha 2

For better or worse, ABC has a vested interest in using Jimmy Kimmel, who's one of their employees, than bringing in an outsider. As long as he wants to do it, and as long as the ratings are good, I imagine the job is his indefinitely.

28 minutes ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

"Star Wars!!! The theme from Star Wars!"

As you can see, I like Bill Murray!

• Haha 1