Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ward, Jim

Town Planning Short

3 posts in this topic

Guest Ward, Jim

How might I get a copy of the short played Sunday 10/27 at about 10 A.M. about town planning in the US. It sounded like it was made in the 40's, probably during the war. it would be useful for some of my classes in urban planning. Thanks for your help.

Guest Cat, Maggie the

Any more details you could provide would be helpful, but I did find one short called War Town, about how the federal gov't. aided cities inundated with defense workers. Here's a synopsis:

The defense industry during World War II put many towns in difficulty, due to the enormous influx of factory and defense workers. This documentary short film demonstrates how the U.S. government came to the aid of one such town and ameliorated the housing and health problems

Here's another, more specific entry, Community Transportation. Here's one on rural electrification, Power and the Land, and it's actually available on VHS and DVD! There's also another one called TVA. I found all these by going to IMDB's Power Search page, and searching for B&W documentary shorts between 1940 and 1950. As to availability, my suggestion would be to check with the librarians where you teach. They know all kinds of ways to get stuff through inter-library loans. But I would first gather info from IMDB to help them narrow their search. Also, TCM has a kind of educational outreach program, TCM By the Book, that lends films to teachers. Their main focus is on film versions of literary classics, but they may be able to help with this, too. Hope this helps.

Guest Dimeo, Nick

I believe this is a Passing Parade short. Just keep an eye out for it, it comes on every now and than as does all the Passing Parade shorts.