Sign in to follow this  
Skeedaddy

Vanishing Point

12 posts in this topic

Vanishing Point would make a good cult movie for the following reasons. Drugs, a fast car, rebellion against establishment, nudity of a character that later in her career became a costume designer, and a suprise ending. Also a interesting cast of various characters along the way.

When this makes its annual appearance at local film festivals, it's usually accompanied by the fun Zabriskie Point (1970). A great double-bill.

I?m surprised more haven?t spoken up about this one. I would have thought it more well-known and respected, especially among the post-hippie generation of boomers. I remember the ending well (who doesn?t?) and I especially liked the inclusion in the soundtrack of Mountain?s ?Mississippi Queen,? a personal favorite - and a garage band standard ? then and now.

I have wanted to see this movie ever since I read about it after I saw Tarantino's Deathproof - which referenced it. I did see Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry and liked it and now i want to see these other influences that Tarantino used.

By the way, I loved Deathproof and wanted to know did anyone else see it and think it might become a late night cult classic?

by the way, why is Zabriski Point not able to be shown on TCM?

I think that you will like if you are familiar with early 70's music and culture. It is a movie that does not get played when it should. We see so many repeats of great movies and others keep getting overlooked. Every couple of months we will see DOA (which is a good one) or North by Northwest and still not see some of the cult movies that are just fun to watch.

I do look through the Now Playing Guide and i am disappointed in them showing some of the same movies over and over again ... i want to see the movies that were lost or forgotten in time - perhaps if enough people get on the boards and express their dismay things will change.

It seems as though they could look at the message board and see what people are saying and show some movies what we are talking about. It would be interesting to sit in on the planning meetings. I realize we see things from the viewers point of view but it gets rediculous to see some movies come around every two or three months and others shown only on very rare occasions.

I agree ... I'll keep watching and posting and discussing and hopefully they'll take our words under consideration. I mean they have a place where you can suggest a movie, but I don't get the impression the planning board is taking a good look at it much.

Oh well at least it's commercial free like AMC used to be and still the best channel to watch classics films.

I could just sit and read their Movies Unlimited catalog alone for hours on end ...lol

good to hear that there are others like me that want to break away from the same old movies.

"Vanishing Point" was in the Underground schedule at one point (to air with "Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry") but had to be removed. We weren't able to get them for the time we wanted them (I think they were already sold?) but possibly sometime later, hopefully.

The DVD of this film has both the U.S. and UK versions versions of the film.

The UK version has an additional scene, cut from or not included in the US version.

It's been a while since I've seen it but it's a female hitchhiker he picks up and they have a fast time together.

Scene's about five minutes if I remember correctly.

I recommend the UK version when watching the DVD.