Sign in to follow this  
Princess of Tap

And A High School Student Shall Lead Them

51 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2018 at 6:42 PM, jakeem said:

Students lie down in front of the White House asking for gun reform. Two 16 year old girls organized this group in a matter of days. Social media helped spread the word.

DWah5uaW0AE3d-7.jpg

High School Students of America Take  a Leadership Role in our Nation  because The Adults Have Failed To Act

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 7:58 AM, jakeem said:

I’m in total awe of the extraordinary students in Florida. Like every movement for progress in our history, gun reform will take unyielding courage and endurance. But @barackobama and I believe in you, we’re proud of you, and we’re behind you every step of the way.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 9:48 PM, jakeem said:

Noticed @waynelapierrejr that when you mentioned the Declaration of Independence, you talked a lot about liberties and the pursuit of happiness - but never about Life. Do we not deserve the Right To Live anymore? Can we take this as a Protect-Guns-not-Students message?

• Thanks 1

princess, I have a question...

if prohibition didn't work than why would gun control? it would just encourage an expansion of rural gun shows and turn them into uh gun-easies.:D

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

if prohibition didn't work than why would gun control? it would just encourage an expansion of rural gun shows and turn them into uh gun-easies.:D

I think you're confused about the whole thing. Everybody has guns where I live and I have guns too.

What we're talking about is some kind of a ban on semi-automatic weapons that are used primarily in the military.

I'd be the last person to say that people shouldn't have guns for self-protection and to protect their property.

I'd be curious to know how many guns you have?

What these high school students are trying to do and what needs to be done is to prevent people from having access to weapons that can kill large numbers of people like what happened in Las Vegas.

Do you have a problem with that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

if prohibition didn't work than why would gun control? it would just encourage an expansion of rural gun shows and turn them into uh gun-easies.

Yes, the old "why create laws if criminals will just break them anyway" argument. 

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

Parkland students were frustrated Betsy DeVos didn’t engage more with them or address any of their concerns: “I don’t understand the point of her being here”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/coralewis/stoneman-douglas-high-school-students-had-strong-words-for?utm_term=.rf0gavAEE&bftwnews#.tuPjnkGJJ

Image result for betsy devos

Betsy DeVos Hates Public Schools. She never attended Public Schools. Her children never attended Public Schools.

drumpf has put her in charge of the federal department which is responsible for supporting and protecting America's Public Schools.

Now a moment of silence for all our Public Schools.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2018 at 8:50 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hey hey, ho ho, the NRA has got to go!”

“This is what democracy looks like!”

That is the funnies thing I have read all day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Dwyane Wade pays surprise visit to Parkland High School

Apparently Mr. Wade received a warmer welcome at the Parkland high school than Sec. DeVos.

4 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/07/us/birmingham-alabama-school-shooting/index.html

(CNN)One student was killed and another was in critical condition after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at a high school in Birmingham, Alabama, police said.

At least two gunshots were fired, killing a 17-year-old female student and injuring a 17-year-old male student at Huffman High School, said Birmingham police Chief Orlando Wilson. He said police considered the shooting accidental, but did not elaborate.

The student killed was a 17 year- old senior; she had been accepted into college and was planning on becoming a nurse.

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

Florida state Rep. Elizabeth Porter dismisses Florida shooting survivors calls for increased gun control. "Do we allow the children to tell us that we should pass a law that says no homework?" http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Representatives/details.aspx?MemberId=4494&LegislativeTermId=86 

Image result for florida rep.elizabeth porter

5 hours ago, jakeem said:

Delaney Tarr Retweeted Jon Levine

To be honest? At this point i’d LOVE to do something as simple as homework. However, now I have to try and fix a broken system so children can safely go to school. Something that the rest of you haven’t done.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jakeem said:

Parkland students featured on Time Magazine cover: "Enough" http://hill.cm/N0it6Nq 

DY5P2uAVMAA5xmz.jpg

19 hours ago, jakeem said:

Obamas send handwritten note to Parkland students: "You've helped awaken the conscience of the nation" http://hill.cm/U8yyGWp 

DY1iRLIVMAA1NJ2.png

Positive reinforcement for young people learning how to be active participants in our Democracy

• Like 3

Ahead of 'March for Our Lives,' Student Manifesto Outlines Steps to Eradicate 'Plague of Gun Violence'

"We will be marching this Saturday for those that we loved and lost, and we write this in the hope that no other community or publication will ever have to do the same."

published a manifesto in The Guardian on Friday declaring that they can no longer "stand idly by as the country continues to be infected by a plague of gun violence."

"We believe federal and state governments must put these in place to ensure that mass shootings and gun violence cease to be a staple of American culture."
—Majory Stoneman Douglas students

"We have a unique platform not only as student journalists, but also as survivors of a mass shooting. We are firsthand witnesses to the kind of devastation that gross incompetence and political inaction can produce,".....

--proposals include:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

-proposals include:

• A complete ban on "semi-automatic weapons that fire high-velocity rounds";
  • Universal background checks and "a database recording which guns are sold in the United States, to whom, and of what caliber and capacity they are";
  • Raising the gun purchasing age to 21; and
  • Closing the gun show and secondhand purchase loopholes......

Those are all sound proposals,  but there is little chance of them becoming the law in all 50 states.

Also,  while there should be additional background checks done and other changes like increasing the waiting period,  historically the issue with background checks isn't the law,  but the process and bureaucracy required to ensure background checks are done, and especially that people with mental health 'issues' are reported, and therefore reflected in the database.   In most cases the killers would have failed the background check,  based on current law,  IF the data collection infrastructure was maintained correctly. 

Note that illegal-immigration advocates are against E-Verify because they fear that database will not be maintained correctly and the process used to verify will be flawed.    Pro-gun advocates have similar fears with the background checks database and process.    BOTH are correct that government has shown to be unable to maintain these type of databases and to have an effective and accurate process for verification.