Sign in to follow this  
DVDPhreak

"Fred" Hitchcock?

20 posts in this topic

Eva Marie Saint appeared on last night's Oscarcast and referred to her "North by Northwest" director as "Fred Hitchcock."  Was that a misread or an actual reference?  Any known proof of Hitchcock having been called "Fred" before?  I have never seen that moniker used in print or anywhere else.  The director went by "Hitch" the most, as we all know.

She was probably just as confused when she talked about being directed by Lainie Kazan in On The Waterfront.

• Haha 4

A short form of "Alfred" is Fred. Alfred Hitchcock probably didn't mind being called Fred. He had a thing for some of the female actresses in his movies. 
  • Like 3

When Ms. Saint said that she was older than Oscar, I thought it was a joke (Jane Fonda and Helen Mirren made a similar joke about the age of Oscar relative to themselves later in the show), but it wasn't! Though she was playing a college-age girl in On the Waterfront, like Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate, she was actually 29. So, 64 years later, she's 93! And looks great.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Diana101 said:
A short form of "Alfred" is Fred. Alfred Hitchcock probably didn't mind being called Fred. He had a thing for some of the female actresses in his movies. 

Actually, some might consider "AL" to be a short form.  Of course that's all weirdness.  How some get "Jack" from John, or "Hank" from Henry is beyond me. "Short forms" do often seem to be arbitrary.  I do still laugh at Ms. Allen's take....  "My name's Grace, but I'm GRACIE for short." ;)

But I do wonder.....

When that one movie came out and was so popular, did anyone joke around and ever call Mr. Hitchcock "ALFIE"? 

Sepiatone(or 'Tone ;)  )

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually, some might consider "AL" to be a short form.  Of course that's all weirdness.  How some get "Jack" from John, or "Hank" from Henry is beyond me. "Short forms" do often seem to be arbitrary.

Or Alf, if you're a resident alien like Hitch was until he naturalized...

MV5BYmRhNzk2YWUtNWIxNC00YWM3LWI5ODEtN2Iw

Charles to Chuck took me a while to get used to, as that shortform is rarely used on the other side of the pond.

Here's some more, including a couple that I've never come across (Margaret -> Peggy?):

https://people.howstuffworks.com/why-is-chuck-short-for-charles-and-dick-short-for-richard.htm

Actually, I understand the portly director didn't much care how his name might have been shortened. "Al", "Alf", "Fred" or "Hitch" were supposedly fine by him.

Nope, as I believe it was in fact the man himself who coined that old phrase...

Irving+Penn+Hitchcock.jpeg

"You can call me anything you want. Just don't call me 'late for dinner'!"

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Actually, I understand the portly director didn't much care how his name might have been shortened. "Al", "Alf", "Fred" or "Hitch" were supposedly fine by him.

Nope, as I believe it was in fact the man himself who coined that old phrase...

Irving+Penn+Hitchcock.jpeg

"You can call me anything you want. Just don't call me 'late for dinner'!"

By the looks of him, no one ever did.

9 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Ahem!

Hitchockcameo.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, limey said:

Ahem!

Hitchockcameo.jpg

Ah! Hitch's "cameo" in Lifeboat.

(...good one, limey ol' boy!)

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Actually Rich, someone did once, call him 'late for dinner' that is, and it was Tipi Hedren who did it.

Ya see the story goes that during a late hour shoot on the set of Marnie, the caterer asked Tipi to go tell Mr. Hitchcock that dinner was ready for the cast and crew, but Tipi being preoccupied at the time with learning her lines, forgot to notify her director about this, and so by the time Hitch heard that dinner was on the table, there was nothing left but one measly little portion of Tuna Surprise.  

Supposedly this infuriated Hitch to no end once he heard from the caterer that it was all Tipi's fault, and thus would be the primary cause for the friction that would ensure between the two of them.

And so, that "brushing off those sexual advancements toward her" thing she's claimed in her book would only be a secondary cause for this mutual animosity between them.

(...but I guess Tipi never saw it that way)

;)

• Haha 1

I noticed that, too and was momentarily confused because it sounded so weird. She also said something about being three or four "months" older than Oscar when I'm sure she meant to say "years." I just chalked it up to her advanced age. All things considered, I think she did a fine job and found her remarks about her late husband quite touching.

BLU

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Diana101 said:

But sometimes some people don't use the common monikers.  For instance, I've never heard of director Jonathan Demme (sadly on this year's Oscar In Memoriam) being referred to as John Demme.

8 minutes ago, DVDPhreak said:

But sometimes some people don't use the common monikers.  For instance, I've never heard of director Jonathan Demme (sadly on this year's Oscar In Memoriam) being referred to as John Demme.

Pardon the nit-pick but "John" is not the diminutive form of "Jonathan". Or maybe I am wrong;)

11 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Pardon the nit-pick but "John" is not the diminutive form of "Jonathan". Or maybe I am wrong;)

How about "Jon Demme?"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DVDPhreak said:

How about "Jon Demme?"

That works for sure:)

On another side of another coin, My ex's name was CINDY.  NOT "short" for "Cynthia", or anything.  On her birth certificate it was clearly "Cindy" as her Mother figured it'd be shortened to that by everyone and named her "Cindy" legally anyway.  But the problem was, whenever she'd give her name to some "official" in say, school or while applying for a job, THEY'D make the "correction" and erroneously  write in "Cynthia".  Actually caused more problems than it attempted to avoid.

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

On another side of another coin, My ex's name was CINDY.  NOT "short" for "Cynthia", or anything.  On her birth certificate it was clearly "Cindy" as her Mother figured it'd be shortened to that by everyone and named her "Cindy" legally anyway.  But the problem was, whenever she'd give her name to some "official" in say, school or while applying for a job, THEY'D make the "correction" and erroneously  write in "Cynthia".  Actually caused more problems than it attempted to avoid.

Sepiatone

Yep Sepia, kind'a like my mother, whose given name was "Hattie".

(...but many people assumed it was short for "Harriet")

• Like 1

I am sure it was just a misread from the teleprompter. She did not seem confused but sharp as ever, she looked great too. Her win for On The Waterfront is one of my favorites of all time.