misswonderly3

What ? ! No Oscar thread this year?? !

128 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Jack was probably at a Lakers game with his daughter Louise.

Related image

There was an online rumor a couple yrs ago that he contracted Alzheimers?

Plus, he said he retired from film acting after the flat (**) 2010 release "How Do You Know"

5 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I can't believe there isn't a thread somewhere on these here forums dedicated to the 2018 Oscars (now old news, almost 24 hours old.) I mean, there always is - such a thread. Oh, there are a couple of very specific topics related to the Oscars, but I couldn't find one that's just a general Oscar commentary thread.

Are we that jaded with the Academy Awards that nobody bothers talking about them here anymore? What would Robert Osborne have said ? (Speaking of whom, I saw he was included in the Oscar night Memorial Tribute.)

Well, I'll be the first (maybe not, maybe there's a thread somewhere that I missed. Anyway....)

I found the 90th Academy Awards ceremony to be slightly more boring than usual - I always think it's a bit boring, and yet I always watch it, and always want to discuss it afterwards. Go figure.

Frances McDormand sure livened things up a bit with her Best Actress acceptance speech. I like Frances, she's unique, and she's always interesting. I enjoyed the way she announced "I've got a few things to say". I also think it's interesting that she really doesn't bother much with trying to look glamourous. I'm not criticizing her for that - although even though she's not what you'd call a beautiful woman, she has an appeal, and attractiveness about her sometimes that probably comes from her energy. So she can look good, in a unique Frances McDormand kind of way. But last night I think she was deliberately playing down any attempt at glamour - I swear she wasn't wearing a speck of make-up.

However, I know there are a lot of people who would probably say to me, "How come every time we're talking about a famous woman we're discussing what she looks like?" And they'd have a point.

Something they did that I thought was just plain dumb was that trip to the movie theatre next door. First, there's no way that was spontaneous, I'm sure it was planned, right down to at what point in the movie the audience was watching the glittering Hollywood celebrities would come traipsing in, distributing candy and hot dogs and "thanking" the ordinary everyday movie goers for going to the movies. One of those things that might have seemed like a good idea at the time they thought of it (whoever did), but just came across, at least to me, as extremely contrived, condescending, and a waste of time, making the already too long Oscar ceremony 15 minutes longer.

Lots of other thoughts on Oscar night, 2018, but I'm interested in what others have to say. Shirley the Academy Awards aren't so passe and irrelevant to us movie-lovers here that we don't even bother with them anymore at all.

Said already with overnight Nielsen ratings to be the lowest in it's history of being aired on television-(debut was in 1953 honoring 1952 cinema)

A lot may have to do with alienating middle America ahead of time, thinking they were gonna' be lectured about pc &* this "Me Too Movement?"

Highest rated & I always believed it's the films up for the *Oscars that drew the audiences

1997 the year *"Titanic": ($670m. domestically) & swept a tremendous & record tieing (14 statuettes)

1 hour ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

I know you said you thought the rest were terrible, but I enjoyed the Latin flavor of the Remember Me song from DisneyPixar's Coco. I think it's great that there are more movies being made that explore the culture of Mexico, because it's a fascinating topic. I also liked the song that Surfjan Stevens sung from Call Me By Your Name.

Yeah, I was hoping to like the song from Coco more than I did. I liked Gael Garcia Bernal's sketchy opening bit (I'm a fan of his, but he's definitely not a professional singer), but the rest of the song, when it kicked into full gear, was a little muddled. This is based solely on the presentation and performances. I'm sure most of them sound better in the films or on the official recordings. The only one that I saw the actual movie of was Mudbound. I'd like to see CocoCall Me By Your Name, and Marshall. I'm in no hurry for The Greatest Showman, but I'll get around to it eventually, I'm sure.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, spence said:

There was an online rumor a couple yrs ago that he contracted Alzheimers?

Plus, he said he retired from film acting after the flat (**) 2010 release "How Do You Know"

Jack Nicholson is reportedly filming the American remake of Toni Erdmann, a German-Austrian film from 2016 that was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film.

48 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I was hoping to like the song from Coco more than I did. I liked Gael Garcia Bernal's sketchy opening bit (I'm a fan of his, but he's definitely not a professional singer), but the rest of the song, when it kicked into full gear, was a little muddled. This is based solely on the presentation and performances. I'm sure most of them sound better in the films or on the official recordings. The only one that I saw the actual movie of was Mudbound. I'd like to see CocoCall Me By Your Name, and Marshall. I'm in no hurry for The Greatest Showman, but I'll get around to it eventually, I'm sure.

The song from Coco is heard several times in the film, and it is Gael Garcia Bernal's quiet, low-key version late in the film which is the best rendition in the film. After seeing the film, its not too much of a surprise it won, because the song in of pivotal importance to the narrative of the story, and indeed much of the latter parts of the film revolve around it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spence said:

Surprisingly the politics were fairly low key as was the show   But the actual winners to this longtime pundit were no surprise & I hit 7 out of the top 8 races on the $money$ & overall 19 for 24

"Get 0ut" taking Best 0. script was asinine though & most I know agree that the AMPAS has really lowered it's bar & it kinda' started for 2009, with 8 to 10 BP contenders & this prefferential ballot & now, pc

Plus no heavyweights like *Nicholson, *Hanks,etc

As 2 time winner *George Stevens-(l904-l975) said of his tremendous & 6 time winning 1951 classic "A PLACE IN THE SUN" "We Will really Know Just How Good This Picture Is In 20 Years" UNQUOTE

Having watched only GET OUT and DUNKIRK thus far, I cannot make a comparative comment beyond those two.
However I really "liked" (or rather was "shaken-up" a bit by) the plot premise and "who, what, and when" mystery style of GET OUT. And I found the "backward and forward" first person editing style to be well rendered and curiously effective in the historical epic DUNKIRK
I am thinking that the days of recognizable repeatable "stars" are getting further behind us, as there are fewer and fewer each passing year. Most of that I believe is the result of the demise of the big studio systems with their cliquishly vested "Star-Making" power.

5 hours ago, JamesStewartFan95 said:

I know you said you thought the rest were terrible, but I enjoyed the Latin flavor of the Remember Me song from DisneyPixar's Coco. I think it's great that there are more movies being made that explore the culture of Mexico, because it's a fascinating topic. I also liked the song that Surfjan Stevens sung from Call Me By Your Name.

Have you even SEEN Coco yet and listened to any of the other songs from it?  Remember Me so stuck out like a weak, droning sore thumb, I was sitting there thinking, "Why are they singing Frozen songs in Mexico? :wacko: "

(Given a choice, I would picked the song our hero sings at the end, that sounded like an actual mariachi song.)

The song from Coco is heard several times in the film, and it is Gael Garcia Bernal's quiet, low-key version late in the film which is the best rendition in the film. After seeing the film, its not too much of a surprise it won, because the song in of pivotal importance to the narrative of the story, and indeed much of the latter parts of the film revolve around it.

Yes, it seems to have gotten its big Annual Disney/Pixar Song push from day one ONLY for the fact that it was thematically crucial to the plot--If there was an award for Best Sentimental Plot Device, it's got a lock, but as a Song, it's lacking a bit.

Seemed everytime I'd tune in it'd be close to "commercial time" and they'd announce that "coming up" would be yet another rendition of a nominated song.  Not knowing any of them, or not having seen the movies any of the songs came from, I really couldn't get into caring which tune won or not.

I missed however, the opening portion of the "In Memoriam" segment.  So, how'd they do?  Botch it as usual this year too, or better than usual?

What made the whole evening worse was that the Red Wings lost too.   :wacko:

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Seemed everytime I'd tune in it'd be close to "commercial time" and they'd announce that "coming up" would be yet another rendition of a nominated song.  Not knowing any of them, or not having seen the movies any of the songs came from, I really couldn't get into caring which tune won or not.

I missed however, the opening portion of the "In Memoriam" segment.  So, how'd they do?  Botch it as usual this year too, or better than usual?

What made the whole evening worse was that the Red Wings lost too.   :wacko:

Sepiatone

I thought the "In Memoriam" sequence was wretched; it has been for several years now. For one thing, I think they should go back to playing a recorded piece of music, something suitably slow or quiet, and preferably a piece of music from Hollywood's past that's recognizable.

This is not to say that I don't like Tom Petty or Eddie Vedder - I do. But I think the playing of live music for an "In Memoriam" tribute doesn't work, it's distracting and sometimes it just doesn't go with what's up on the screen.

But my main complaint about the way the Oscars have done the "In Memoriam" segment, not just this year but over the past few years, is that they always seem to leave out a few really good movie people who deserve to be there (in the segment), and it often seems to be to allow room for people in the movie business most of us have never heard of. Yes, definitely some of the creative ones, like cinematographers and maybe film editors, should be included. But now they have business people, accountants and pr agents and the like, on the list. These names may resonate with those in the close-knit Hollywood community, but for most movie-lovers they mean nothing. 

I think instead of cluttering up the Memoriam tribute with business people and second key grips, (worthy though I'm sure those people were), they should go back to including more men and women from the movies themselves, actors, actresses, directors, etc. I don't care if some accountant with Warner Brothers has died.

Actually, we might do a better job on these TCM forums with the memorial threads we've got right here.

• Thanks 1

Shows how much I care. I even forgot to watch (I usually have it on picture in picture or record it and zip through the highlights days later....) I hadnt even seen any of the nominees. Think last  year was the first year that started. Most of the films I want to see play on the other side of town and I dont feel like traveling in the winter time nor do I have the extra money to see films the last few years...........

I was happy Ivory and Deakins finally won something, sorry I missed that (but I'm sure it's on youtube). But for Ivory it was writing, not directing, but at least he finally won. If anyone deserves an honorary Oscar it's him!

• Like 1

I watched the ceremony and found it more tolerable than past years.  The politics for the most part seemed to take a backseat.  I didn't mind the activism as much, though I agree that it could get a bit self-righteous at times.  I liked seeing Rita Moreno (wearing her 1962 Oscar gown no less, you go Rita!) and Eva Marie Saint.  Both ladies looked great! I also liked Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway and thought it was funny that Dunaway was wearing the same dress she wore last year.  I liked Eddie Vedder's song, but the In Memoriam wasn't very good, it seemed unusually short.  They could have easily cut out the lame theater segment and extended the In Memoriam.  I also noticed that they didn't even mention the Honorary Oscars that were handed out late last year.  Patrick Stewart presented the technical Oscars in another ceremony and I was surprised that he didn't even come on stage to talk about them.  The stupid theater stunt could have been cut to fit all of these things.  I wish they'd stop with these things.  Ellen's selfie is what started this.  That was funny because it seemed impromptu.  These staged gimmicks however are not.  

I was also surprised that they didn't really do more to honor the 90th Anniversary of the Oscars.  It was mentioned a few times, but otherwise the ceremony wasn't any more special than others.  Can we talk about the stage decoration? Talk about gauche.  I thought it was funny when Jane Fonda compared it to Barbarella's Orgasmatron.

Of the 2017 films nominated, I had actually seen some of them! I saw The Darkest Hour, Dunkirk, Baby Driver, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, and Beauty and the Beast.  

Most of the Oscar nominees are coming out on RedBox this month, I want to see:

-I, Tonya (this was a hot local story back in 1994.  Front page news for months). 

-Coco

-Lady Bird

-Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri 

-The Post

-Phantom Thread

-The Greatest Showman

The actual Oscar winner, Shape of Water, doesn't appeal to me because I don't typically gravitate toward movies featuring aliens and fantasy storylines.  

Not nominated for an Oscar but I want to see:

-Murder on the Orient Express

-Pitch Perfect 3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

But my main complaint about the way the Oscars have done the "In Memoriam" segment, not just this year but over the past few years, is that they always seem to leave out a few really good movie people who deserve to be there (in the segment), and it often seems to be to allow room for people in the movie business most of us have never heard of. Yes, definitely some of the creative ones, like cinematographers and maybe film editors, should be included. But now they have business people, accountants and pr agents and the like, on the list. These names may resonate with those in the close-knit Hollywood community, but for most movie-lovers they mean nothing. 

I think instead of cluttering up the Memoriam tribute with business people and second key grips, (worthy though I'm sure those people were), they should go back to including more men and women from the movies themselves, actors, actresses, directors, etc. I don't care if some accountant with Warner Brothers has died.

That's because they don't show the clips next to the technicians' face, and think that either everyone in the industry live-audience knows them, or that they don't "deserve" clips of their work like the actors do--

John G. Avildsen, Director, Michael Ballhaus, Cinematographer, and Terence Marsh, Production Designer, who cares?  John G. Avildsen with clips from "Rocky", Michael Ballhaus with clips from "GoodFellas" and "Bram Stoker's Dracula", and Terence Marsh with clips from "Hunt For Red October", "A Bridge Too Far" and "Scrooge", now we start getting a little misty-eyed film history.  At least June Foray, Voice Actress got to hold a little Rocky & Bullwinkle plush.  (And okay, so we knew Haruo Nakajima was Godzilla, but...)

If you're going to do an In Memoriam, it helps if we have something to Rememberoriam them by.

I'd guess I caught the memorial tribute more than halfway through, and even then it looked to be a bit rushed. 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Haven't chimed in yet in this thing, so here goes...

Watched the Oscar telecast again. Thought Kimmel was fine as host. Began thinking the PRIMARY reason Oscar broadcasts are so damn long is because of all the freakin' commercials they run every 10 minutes and between every presenter presenting the little golden guy to the winners.

Thought the In Memoriam segment seemed rather short, and then began to realize that the dunderhead in charge of it missed showing a HELL of a lot of those in The Biz who died last year.

Thought that this year's show and and the number of people of color and the many women who were spotlighted for their contributions to film, made it SEEM anyway that the idea of inclusion was finally taking place in Tinseltown.

(...AND, one more thought here...I personally have never had a problem with the long running time of this thing...figured out a long time ago that THAT just "comes with the package")

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Haven't chimed in yet in this thing, so here goes...

Watched the Oscar telecast again. Thought Kimmel was fine as host. Began thinking the PRIMARY reason Oscar broadcasts are so damn long is because of all the freakin' commercials they run every 10 minutes and between every presenter presenting the little golden guy to the winners.

Thought the In Memoriam segment seemed rather short, and then began to realize that the dunderhead in charge of it missed showing a HELL of a lot of those who died last year.

Thought that this year's show and and the number of people of color and the many women who were spotlighted for their contributions to film, made it SEEM anyway that the idea of inclusion was finally taking place in Tinseltown.

(...AND, one more thought here...I personally have never had a problem with the long running time of this thing...figured out a long time ago that THAT just "comes with the package")

It was my understanding that it was a committee that decided and not one 'dunderhead'.    Also clearly they are favoring worker-bees over 'stars',  and to some that would be a good thing.

Anyhow,  no one will ever be pleased by what they do,  so it I was that dunderhead I would only honor those that where nominated for an Oscar.    PERIOD:  Therefore no judgement or ranking is necessary since on any given year that should be a relatively small number of individuals. 

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It was my understanding that it was a committee that decided and not one 'dunderhead'.    Also clearly they are favoring worker-bees over 'stars',  and to some that would be a good thing.

Anyhow,  no one will ever be pleased by what they do,  so if I was that dunderhead I would only honor those that where nominated for an Oscar.    PERIOD:  Therefore no judgement or ranking is necessary since on any given year that should be a relatively small number of individuals. 

I like your idea here, James. Makes a lot of sense.

(...from one "dunderhead" to another here, of course) ;)

• Haha 1

Maybe then they would have remembered Oscar WINNER Dorothy Malone?  Didn't she pass away during the Oscar year?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Anyhow,  no one will ever be pleased by what they do,  so it I was that dunderhead I would only honor those that where nominated for an Oscar.    PERIOD:  Therefore no judgement or ranking is necessary since on any given year that should be a relatively small number of individuals. 

I was going to comment that such a prerequisite would have disqualified this year's "final star". The final spot is usually given to the person considered the biggest star that has died in the previous year, and this year it was Jerry Lewis at the end. But I see that he was given a Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in 2009, so he'd be eligible, after all.

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I was going to comment that such a prerequisite would have disqualified this year's "final star". The final spot is usually given to the person considered the biggest star that has died in the previous year, and this year it was Jerry Lewis at the end. But I see that he was given a Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award in 2009, so he'd be eligible, after all.

Yeah, well, even if Jerry hadn't gotten that Hersholt award, perhaps in a case like THIS, The Academy could've given the folks in France a heads-up, and then they could have added Jerry to THEIR broadcast while we in America were watching one of those damn commercials!

(...hey, just brainstormin' here, dude)

6 hours ago, Dargo said:

while we in America were watching one of those damn commercials

My solution to the commercials conundrum:

• No more than 4 commercial breaks per hour.
  • One of these breaks must be inserted between the end of one program & the beginning of the next.
  • No more than 12 minutes total of commercials per hour.
  • Ban all commercials for medical procedures & products, along with ambulance chasers & political ads.
  • If any of the previous ads are permitted, they must be run with the small print in a large enough font to be easily read from 8 feet away, repeated in audio & signed so everyone can enjoy them. The small print must also include the full names, addresses & social security numbers of anyone who paid for them.
  • No running of commercials or barkers for the next show over the credits roll & end music. Additionally the end credits must run at a speed that enables them to be read without the aid of slo-mo or freeze framing.
  • Hot Spell must be run uncut & commercial free once a year on The Golf Channel.

It's a pipe dream, I know - but you think that at some point the commercial channels would realize that they're degrading their product beyond the point where your average Joe/Jane is going to gain anything from their televisual experience beyond severe attention deficit disorder.

• Haha 3

Pipe dream indeed.  Cut back that much on commercial time?  Which also means cutting back on all that commercial airtime REVENUE! 

If the Academy and all others involved are willing to make up all that lost revenue, they might find a network willing to broadcast the ceremony in the fashion you describe.  But commercial time isn't the big issue with many viewers.  It's what they feel is the time wasted in "stars" who win thanking everyone from their immediate family to the girl who babysat them when they were 2 years old or whatever. AND everyone they met in between.  And clearly, that MUSIC they play to "urge" them to wrap it up and get off the stage doesn't work that well, and you'd have legal problems with bringing the old "hook" back in use, so probably the best way to cut down the time is to eliminate all those categories the viewing public really doesn't care about, as most of the U.S. of A tunes in to see who won "Best Actor", "Best Actress", possibly the "supporting" ones too, "Best Picture".  And I can't be certain, but am willing to risk the rent on a wager that the higher ratings of the evening go to any of the "Red Carpet"  galas about "Who wears who" and all that crap.  I know at least a dozen people who switch to some other programming once those are over.

Sepiatone

13 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Pipe dream indeed.  Cut back that much on commercial time?  Which also means cutting back on all that commercial airtime REVENUE! 

Saturation. Charge more for fewer ads that more people watch because the program doesn't get broken down into segments shorter than the ads.

17 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

clearly, that MUSIC they play to "urge" them to wrap it up and get off the stage doesn't work that well, and you'd have legal problems with bringing the old "hook" back in use

I would reliably watch every single year, if they promised to employ that hook after 30 seconds. Failing that open a trapdoor, or empty a large bucket of ice water placed strategically overhead. Now that's what I call entertainment!

20 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

the best way to cut down the time is to eliminate all those categories the viewing public really doesn't care about, as most of the U.S. of A tunes in to see who won "Best Actor", "Best Actress", possibly the "supporting" ones too, "Best Picture".

Ah fooey to that! I find categories like cinematography & special effects much more interesting than the bland best actor/actress/pic.

22 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And I can't be certain, but am willing to risk the rent on a wager that the higher ratings of the evening go to any of the "Red Carpet"  galas about "Who wears who" and all that crap.  I know at least a dozen people who switch to some other programming once those are over.

If they removed all that nonsense, then you'd have a program about awards that was actually about awards!

• Haha 2

i used to live and breathe all things OSCAR the way straight guys are about football- stats and everything, but ca. 2000 my interest started to wane to a point where i really don't pay too much attention their way- although like lapsed football fans, i'll check out the postmortem tackles and plays and such on web sites the next day.

are my terms right football fans?

but besides the fact that they're WRONG 90% of the time- and wrong in intriguing ways, like sometimes picking the least-qualified nominee from 3-4 perfectly sane other options- and besides the fact that "Oscar's Family Album" is littered with some Aunts and Uncles you only see at the reunion- there is another reason i tuned them out this year and those are the continued airings in re: sexual harassment and power not just in HOLLYWOOD, but in many other fields.

you can't tell me some "pay for play" in re: Oscar did not GO DOWN, (no need to list specific examples or speculate on who) BUT FOR MANY YEARS THE OSCARS WERE HARVEY'S GAME.

combined with that awful story about the female gymnasts THAT DOMINATED the winter news, there is just this downright FILTHY, DEGRADED, almost biblical level of idolatry and "pursuit of gold" that we've elevated awards to. 

they are just OFFICIALLY NO FUN anymore AT ALL, (and sorry, but apparently neither am I, at least on this subject.)

ps- why did Willem Dafoe accept Best Actress wearing a dress? Anyone?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

You still are making a valid point,  and in fact I was going to make a joke in my prior post that E.G. Robinson would NOT have been honored as an example of a flaw in such a 'method'.   But as soon as subjective judgement is introduce the game of 'how could XYZ NOT have been selected by those dummies' begins.   

With a fixed method the 'dummies' is the method itself.   

14 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Maybe then they would have remembered Oscar WINNER Dorothy Malone?  Didn't she pass away during the Oscar year?

YES. And only 5 or 6 wks. ago. Forgot already?

• Sad 1