misswonderly3

What ? ! No Oscar thread this year?? !

128 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i used to live and breathe all things OSCAR the way straight guys are about football- stats and everything, but ca. 2000 my interest started to wane to a point where i really don't pay too much attention their way- although like lapsed football fans, i'll check out the postmortem tackles and plays and such on web sites the next day.

are my terms right football fans?

but besides the fact that they're WRONG 90% of the time- and wrong in intriguing ways, like sometimes picking the least-qualified nominee from 3-4 perfectly sane other options- and besides the fact that "Oscar's Family Album" is littered with some Aunts and Uncles you only see at the reunion- there is another reason i tuned them out this year and those are the continued airings in re: sexual harassment and power not just in HOLLYWOOD, but in many other fields.

you can't tell me some "pay for play" in re: Oscar did not GO DOWN, (no need to list specific examples or speculate on who) BUT FOR MANY YEARS THE OSCARS WERE HARVEY'S GAME.

combined with that awful story about the female gymnasts THAT DOMINATED the winter news, there is just this downright FILTHY, DEGRADED, almost biblical level of idolatry and "pursuit of gold" that we've elevated awards to. 

they are just OFFICIALLY NO FUN anymore AT ALL, (and sorry, but apparently neither am I, at least on this subject.)

ps- why did Willem Dafoe accept Best Actress wearing a dress? Anyone?

Yeah, my interest started to wane around the same time. A lot of factors. (Age. Oscars not as important to me; Dont know many of the new crop; Dont see as many movies or Oscar movies; Tired of the overbloated telecast etc....) And as we TCM viewers know, many of the best films/performances over the years arent the winners or even get nominated.

• Like 1

Here's who was included in the In Memoriam:

1. John G. Avildsen (director) Oscar Winner
  2. Toni Ann Walker (hairdresser)
  3. June Foray (actress, voice artist)
  4. Walter Lassally (cinematographer) Oscar Winner
  5. Chuck Berry (musician)
  6. Robert Osborne (writer, host, historian)
  7. Jill Messick (producer)
  8. Harry Dean Stanton (actor)
  9. Terence Marsh (production designer) Oscar Winner
  10. Rita Riggs (costume designer)
  11. Mary Goldberg (casting director)
  12. Anthony Harvey (director, editor) Oscar Nominee
  13. Therese DePrez (production designer)
  14. Debra Chasnoff (documentarian) Oscar Winner
  15. Johan Johannsson (composer) Oscar Nominee
  16. Jonathan Demme (director) Oscar Winner
  17. Michael Ballhaus (cinematographer) Oscar Nominee
  18. Les Lazarowitz (sound editor) Oscar Nominee
  19. Idrissa Ouedraogo (writer, director)
  20. Joe Hyams (publicist)
  21. John Heard (actor)
  22. Martin Landau (actor) Oscar Winner
  23. Glenne Headly (actress)
  24. Eric Zumbrunnen (editor)
  25. Roger Moore (actor)
  26. Sam Shepard (writer, actor) Oscar Nominee
  27. Allison Shearmur (producer, executive)
  28. John Mollo (costume designer) Oscar Winner
  29. Jeanne Moreau (actress)
  30. Loren Janes (stuntman)
  31. George A. Romero (writer, producer, director)
  32. Rance Howard (actor)
  33. Sridevi (actress)
  34. Haruo Nakajima (actor)
  35. Martin Ransohoff (producer)
  36. Hiep Thi Le (actress)
  37. Ron Berkeley (makeup artist)
  38. Joseph Bologna (actor, writer)
  39. Fred J. Koenenkamp (cinematographer) Oscar Winner
  40. Murray Lerner (documentarian) Oscar Winner
  41. Don Rickles (actor, comedian)
  42. Seijun Suzuki (director)
  43. Bernie Casey (actor)
  44. Shashi Kapoor (actor)
  45. Tom Sanders (production designer) Oscar Nominee
  46. Danielle Darrieux (actress)
  47. Jerry Greenberg (editor) Oscar Winner
  48. Brad Grey (executive, producer)
  49. Miriam Colon (actress)
  50. Luis Bacalov (composer) Oscar Winner
  51. Jerry Lewis (actor, director, writer ) Oscar Winner (Lifetime Achievement)

As you can see, most of the listed people were neither Oscar nominees or winners. However, many of the best known would be left out if it went to prior nominees or winners, such as Roger Moore, Jeanne Moreau, Harry Dean Stanton, Don Rickles, Danielle Darrieux, and Robert Osborne.

• Thanks 2

Yep, this whole waning of interest in the Oscar thing does seem to come about as we age, doesn't it. Somehow the "magic" in and of it seems to dissipate as we get older.

Kind'a reminds me of the time I went to Disneyland as an adult and after going as a kid years earlier, and coming to the realization that the Tarzan's Treehouse attraction (the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse when I was a kid) was actually made of concrete.

(...yeah yeah, I know...kind of a strange analogy here, huh...but you folks know what I mean)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

...As you can see, most of the listed people were neither Oscar nominees or winners. However, many of the best known would be left out if it went to prior nominees or winners, such as Roger Moore, Jeanne Moreau, Harry Dean Stanton, Don Rickles, Danielle Darrieux, and Robert Osborne.

Hmmm...yeah, good point here I suppose, Lawrence.

And so in that case, I'll take back my earlier approval of James' idea.

(...yeah, BAD idea James, BAD...you dunderhead, you!!!)

;)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, this whole waning of interest in the Oscar thing does seem to come about as we age, doesn't it. Somehow the "magic" in and of it seems to dissipate as we get older.

Kind'a reminds me of the time I went to Disneyland as an adult and after going as a kid years earlier, and coming to the realization that the Tarzan's Treehouse attraction (the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse when I was a kid) was actually made of concrete.

(...yeah yeah, I know...kind of a strange analogy here, huh...but you folks know what I mean)

LOL.

46 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, my interest started to wane around the same time. A lot of factors. (Age. Oscars not as important to me; Dont know many of the new crop; Dont see as many movies or Oscar movies; Tired of the overbloated telecast etc....) And as we TCM viewers know, many of the best films/performances over the years arent the winners or even get nominated.

Having the Academy say- with a completely straight face- that it thought HALLE BERRY gave the best performance by an Actress that year (2002?) in MONSTER'S BALL was kind of a watershed moment for me when it came to paying any attention to anything else they had to say.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Having the Academy say- with a completely straight face- that it thought HALLE BERRY gave the best performance by an Actress that year (2002?) in MONSTER'S BALL was kind of a watershed moment for me when it came to paying any attention to anything else they had to say.

LOL. I cant even remember who won the previous year anymore half the time.......

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The two leading contenders that year were Sissy Spacek in IN THE BEDROOM and Nicole Kidman for MOULIN ROUGE. 

Halle sort of squeaked her way to victory....perhaps Sissy and Nicole split the vote. 

In all honesty, I can't say one way or another whether Halle deserved her Oscar or not, never saw MONSTER'S BALL.

I like to know, however, how high or drunk the members of the Academy were, when they voted Tommy Lee Jones for Best Supporting Actor in THE FUGITIVE in 1994, over Ralph Fiennes for SCHINDLER'S LIST. Sam Gerard is a role ANYONE could have played, and with such ease, but Fiennes was absolutely chilling as Amon Goeth, a very complex and brilliantly acted part that had just the right actor to portray him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I like to know, however, how high or drunk the members of the Academy were, when they voted Tommy Lee Jones for Best Supporting Actor in THE FUGITIVE in 1994, over Ralph Fiennes for SCHINDLER'S LIST. Sam Gerard is a role ANYONE could have played, and with such ease, but Fiennes was absolutely chilling as Amon Goeth, a very complex and brilliantly acted part that had just the right actor to portray him.

At the time, Fiennes was nearly a complete unknown, and the Oscar rarely goes to unknown performers. The thinking is said to be that since he's young, he'll have another shot in the future. Tommy Lee Jones was in the midst of a comeback. After starting out with a few promising roles in the 70's, his career dipped throughout the 1980's in B movies and commercial failures. JFK in 1991 earned him an Oscar nod (I thought he should have won that year over the sentimental career win for Jack Palance) and kickstarted a career resurgence. He would go on to be one of the busiest actors in the 1990's, appearing in 16 movies after JFK. Jones' subsequent win for The Fugitive was thought of as both a career acknowledgment and a nod toward one of the biggest commercial hits of that year. I personally also think Fiennes should have won. The fact that he still hasn't won one is lamentable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

At the time, Fiennes was nearly a complete unknown, and the Oscar rarely goes to unknown performers. The thinking is said to be that since he's young, he'll have another shot in the future. Tommy Lee Jones was in the midst of a comeback. After starting out with a few promising roles in the 70's, his career dipped throughout the 1980's in B movies and commercial failures. JFK in 1991 earned him an Oscar nod (I thought he should have won that year over the sentimental career win for Jack Palance) and kickstarted a career resurgence. He would go on to be one of the busiest actors in the 1990's, appearing in 16 movies after JFK. Jones' subsequent win for The Fugitive was thought of a both a career acknowledgment and a nod toward one of the biggest commercial hits of that year. I personally also think Fiennes should have won. That fact that he still hasn't won one is lamentable. 

I think Fiennes only racked up one other nomination since SCHINDLER'S LIST and that time it was for Best Actor for THE ENGLISH PATIENT in 1997 (he lost to Geoffrey Rush in SHINE).

I agree, his not having an Oscar after all this time is a crime.

I actually do like Tommy Lee Jones, I just don't think he deserved the gold that year. I seldom hear anyone say that he was a worthy winner for THE FUGITIVE, though many have lamented he didn't win for JFK.

9 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

The two leading contenders that year were Sissy Spacek in IN THE BEDROOM and Nicole Kidman for MOULIN ROUGE. 

Halle sort of squeaked her way to victory....perhaps Sissy and Nicole split the vote. 

In all honesty, I can't say one way or another whether Halle deserved her Oscar or not, never saw MONSTER'S BALL.

At the time, The Fugitive was a big hit, Fiennes was new to the international scene and was playing a villain, and Tommy Lee Jones was established and a previous nominee (for JFK). Would the same race be held today, Fiennes would win undoubtedly. (Speaking of Schlindler's List, Embeth Davidtz deserved a nomination for her heartbreaking portrayal of Helen Hirsch, the Jewish woman forced into becoming Goeth's servant)

I would say that Barry was quite good in the film (her last scene, where she says so much with her eyes without saying a word, is extraordinary), but I still think that Nicole Kidman deserved to win for Moulin Rouge...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

At the time, Fiennes was nearly a complete unknown, and the Oscar rarely goes to unknown performers. The thinking is said to be that since he's young, he'll have another shot in the future. Tommy Lee Jones was in the midst of a comeback. After starting out with a few promising roles in the 70's, his career dipped throughout the 1980's in B movies and commercial failures. JFK in 1991 earned him an Oscar nod (I thought he should have won that year over the sentimental career win for Jack Palance) and kickstarted a career resurgence. He would go on to be one of the busiest actors in the 1990's, appearing in 16 movies after JFK. Jones' subsequent win for The Fugitive was thought of as both a career acknowledgment and a nod toward one of the biggest commercial hits of that year. I personally also think Fiennes should have won. The fact that he still hasn't won one is lamentable. 

And I still wish Fiennes had been nominated for Quiz Show, The Constant Gardener, and The Grand Budapest Hotel. 

• Like 3

That was for the year 2001 -- and Halle Berry is a better actress than you think. She's been sensational since her first film -- Spike Lee's 1994 comedy/drama "Jungle Fever" -- in which she deglamorized herself to play a crack addict.

Related image

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

And I still wish Fiennes had been nominated for Quiz Show and The Grand Budapest Hotel.

I would have at least nominated him for Best Actor in Strange Days (1995), which was so unlike his other roles and yet still completely believable; Best Actor for Spider (2002); Best Actor for The Constant Gardner (2005); and Best Supporting Actor for both In Bruges (2008) and A Bigger Splash (2015); along with the two you mention.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I would have at least nominated him for Best Actor in Strange Days (1995), which was so unlike his other roles and yet still completely believable; Best Actor for Spider (2002); Best Actor for The Constant Gardner (2005); and Best Supporting Actor for both In Bruges (2008) and A Bigger Splash (2015); along with the two you mention.

I am really surprised he didn't get a nod for THE CONSTANT GARDNER, especially since his co-star, Rachel Weisz. was nominated and in fact did win for Best Supporting Actress.

I would also give him a nomination for Best Supporting Actor for THE READER, where he plays the older version of a young teen who enters into an affair with an older woman (Kate Winslet) with more than one shameful secret. Another case though of his co-star getting the nomination and win (this was for Best Actress) while he's ignored. Don't get me wrong I thought Kate was great, but Ralph was equally brilliant. He's so tortured and sympathetic, it's hard to believe this was the same man who played the cold-blooded Nazi Goeth in SCHINDLER'S LIST.

• Like 2

I don’t think Halle Berry is a bad actress, but I do think MONSTERS BALL was terrrrrrible, the role was terrrrrible, and She had her moments to be sure, but overall it was an uneven performance.

Sissy Spacek had a SUPPORTING role in IN THE BEDROOM, and I recall loving MOULIN ROUGE! and NICOLE in le role, but I think the best performance by an actress that year was by Kidman in THE OTHERS. I don’t know that any other actress ever had a more dynamic year than she did in 2001.

Ps- I totes don’t care about the Oscars and I’m totes over the Oscars but I will also quibble back-and-forth for days about things that happened almost 20 years ago in the history of The Oscars

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Sissy Spacek had a SUPPORTING role in IN THE BEDROOM, and I recall loving MOULIN ROUGE! and NICOLE in le role, but I think the best performance by an actress that year was by Kidman in THE OTHERS. I don’t know that any other actress ever had a more dynamic year than she did in 2001.

Kidman was no slouch last year. She just didn't get an Oscar nomination.

Just now, jakeem said:

Kidman was no slouch last year. She just didn't get an Oscar nomination.

I’m sure, I’m bad about keeping up with modern movies and I don’t have HBO (therefore I don’t get BIG LITTLE LIES)

and I think she got one the year before...albeit supporting (eye roll)

Robert Redford probably was right when he said the only way to establish who's best is a footrace.

I don't have a problem with Tommy Lee Jones' Oscar win for "The Fugitive." He commanded a viewer's attention from the first moment he appeared on the screen. His Marshal Gerard was as dogged a pursuer as Javert in "Les Misérables" -- the inspiration for the character.

I thought Jones should have been nominated for "Coal Miner's Daughter" (1980), too. I'm sure Sissy Spacek would agree that his performance enhanced hers.

Ps: Those of you who waitched, since this was the 90th Academy Awards, did they do one of those god-awful painful tedious OSCARS FAMILY PHOTO ALBUMs where they invite everyone who has won an acting Oscar to sit on stage as they pan past them and read their names? 

Usually takes about 45 minutes.

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ps: Those of you who waitched, since this was the 90th Academy Awards, did they do one of those god-awful painful tedious OSCARS FAMILY PHOTO ALBUMs where they invite everyone who has won an acting Oscar to sit on stage as they pan past them and read their names? 

No. They just had montage clips from most of the previous winners in the acting categories before each one was announced. They were brief, and well done.

Here they are if you wish to see them:

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don’t think Halle Berry is a bad actress, but I do think MONSTERS BALL was terrrrrrible, the role was terrrrrible, and She had her moments to be sure, but overall it was an uneven performance.

It's been a while since I viewed it, but I don't think Monster's Ball was terrible - although I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable experience either. I remember finding parts of it unrelentingly depressing, but that was by intent, I'm sure. I thought the overall cast performances pretty good, in something that could have been an absolute disaster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The last time they did that was 20 years ago -- the year "Titanic" won. I remember it because Nicholson had just won his third Oscar for "As Good as It Gets." When the announcer introduced him onstage as an Oscar winner for "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" and "Terms of Endearment," he proudly waved the award he had just won.

That was special! So many of the family members are gone now.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes, I'd rather Kidman been nominated for that film than Rouge.......