misswonderly3

What ? ! No Oscar thread this year?? !

128 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I should have mentioned that there was some real consideration that Beauty and the Beast would win Best Picture. I remember reading an article or two making the case for it. 

Of course, that was the early 90's when Broadway was suffering a drought, and a lot of those same "I'm not a pedophile, I'm not a pedophile!" first early 90's-Renaissance grownup Disney fans were using "Animated musicals are the New Broadway!" as their important "artistic" excuse for praising, quote-fingers, "kiddy" films.

Which is why we got, yes, Beauty & the Beast: the Broadway Musical a year or two later.

44 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

If the Best Animated Film Category had existed back then, I have no doubt it would have been nominated in that category and won. But then it seems to me that Disney at that time was the only studio making animated films, and no animated competition to go up against.

We got the BAF literally BECAUSE those same insecure grownups kept wanting to validate their love of the New Good Disney films, and pestered the Academy endlessly to make history repeat itself as many times in succession as they could.  It didn't help that the next two films were Aladdin and Lion King.  :rolleyes: 

(In fact, according to some insiders, one of the factors that created the separate category was Disney and the fans' own incessant nonstop attention-struck showboating over "We got a nomination, we got a nomination!" for ten years that pretty much soured the committee against the "commercial" popularity of animated films.  If you think the category was created to Shut Them Up, you're not far off.)

Until 1999, of course, when Toy Story 2 opened, and a lot of grownups wanted to apologize for sniffling over Jessie's song, beginning a long nine-year quest to see a Pixar movie nominated for Best Picture.  And when '00 also had Aardman fans jumping on the Disney train and insisting that "Chicken Run" be FYC'ed--and one year after Japanese-anime fans blitzed the Best Foreign Film committee once they heard that "Princess Mononoke" had made the cut--the Academy decided someone needed a nice Time-Out Corner.

8 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

If the Best Animated Film Category had existed back then, I have no doubt it would have been nominated in that category and won. But then it seems to me that Disney at that time was the only studio making animated films, and no animated competition to go up against.

It looks like the only other animated features from 1991 were An American Tail: Fievel Goes West and Rover Dangerfield, so I think Beauty and the Beast could have squeaked out a victory.

27 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Not quite. Former Disney animator Don Bluth had been cranking out films since the early '80s. Among them: "The Secret of NIMH" (1982), "An American Tail" (1986), "The Land Before Time" (1988) and "All Dogs Go to Heaven." In 1991, "Rock-a-Doodle" was released, but it wasn't anywhere near the sensation that "Beauty and the Beast" was.

The Bluth film that received Oscar attention was "Anastasia" (1997), which earned nominations for Best Original Song and Best Original Musical or Comedy Score.

Image result for anastasia 1997 gifs

• Thanks 1

If I remember the date correctly on this list I shared, it was from January of 1992, so pretty close to the time nominations were announced (February 19, 1992 per Wikipedia). And maybe its just 90s nostalgia, a yearning for simpler, less expensive films with more depth, or something, but in the case of so many of these films, they are just so good. (Silence of the Lambs, Beauty and the Beast, JFK, Fisher King, Prince of Tides, Grand Canyon, Thelma and Louise, Fried Green Tomatoes, For the Boys, Rambling Rose). Actually, after reading through, the list, I decided to watch The Doctor (an unnominated film) on HBO on demand, and its really a great little movie, very well acted, especially by Elizabeth Perkins. That's one of the great things of moviegoing really: finding hidden gems that aren't discussed about much....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

And maybe its just 90s nostalgia, a yearning for simpler, less expensive films with more depth, or something, but in the case of so many of these films, they are just so good. 

I'm old enough to recall the general consensus back in 1991, and there were just as many people complaining about how "movies nowadays suck" as there are now. It's something that seems to go on generation after generation. I was reading the comments section elsewhere today where much younger people were lamenting how much better movies were in the 2000's, that that was the best time for movies, and movies are terrible now, while others were sad about the upcoming Avengers movie, since that will mark the "end of an era", and they grew up on the Marvel movies, which didn't start until 2008!

Just now, LawrenceA said:

I'm old enough to recall the general consensus back in 1991, and there were just as many people complaining about how "movies nowadays suck" as there are now. It's something that seems to go on generation after generation. I was reading the comments section elsewhere today where much younger people were lamenting how much better movies were in the 2000's, that that was the best time for movies, and movies are terrible now, while others were sad about the upcoming Avengers movie, since that will mark the "end of an era", and they grew up on the Marvel movies, which didn't start until 2008!

Oh yes, nostalgia spawns quickly. Very quickly. pre-1980 are my favorite years for films, but really I do enjoy the 80s and early 90s a lot as well and have many favorites from that time.  So maybe its just bias, or maybe its just because the dramas were really quite good and the comedies felt fresher too.

And regarding newer, well, I remember 2000s movies quite well, and, well... let's just say i wouldn't call it the best time for movies ever. (That would be the 30s and 40s) There were good ones but there were also some ones that missed the mark. And many that just looked painful just from the trailers. And thinking about 2008 nostalgia just makes me feel a little bit older just reading about it....

33 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Oh yes, nostalgia spawns quickly. Very quickly. pre-1980 are my favorite years for films, but really I do enjoy the 80s and early 90s a lot as well and have many favorites from that time.  So maybe its just bias, or maybe its just because the dramas were really quite good and the comedies felt fresher too.

And regarding newer, well, I remember 2000s movies quite well, and, well... let's just say i wouldn't call it the best time for movies ever. (That would be the 30s and 40s) There were good ones but there were also some ones that missed the mark. And many that just looked painful just from the trailers. And thinking about 2008 nostalgia just makes me feel a little bit older just reading about it....

I think a big part of it is that when we go back to earlier times to search out films, we usually look for the best films from those years, whereas when we actively live through them we become acutely aware of all of the dross and dreck that comes out each year, too, stuff that people will forget and not look into in the future. It's the same principal with foreign films. Some people complain that critics seem to just "love every foreign film that comes out", when in fact it's that they're only viewing the best movie or two released by a country, and not the garbage that also got released by that same country.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2018 at 9:16 AM, Dargo said:

Yep, this whole waning of interest in the Oscar thing does seem to come about as we age, doesn't it. Somehow the "magic" in and of it seems to dissipate as we get older.

Kind'a reminds me of the time I went to Disneyland as an adult and after going as a kid years earlier, and coming to the realization that the Tarzan's Treehouse attraction (the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse when I was a kid) was actually made of concrete.

(...yeah yeah, I know...kind of a strange analogy here, huh...but you folks know what I mean)

Wait.... It's not a real tree? It's made of concrete? :o Now, I'm having flashbacks of two weeks ago when my parents told me Santa wasn't real. 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Wait.... It's not a real tree? It's made of concrete? :o Now, I'm having flashbacks of two weeks ago when my parents told me Santa wasn't real. 

LOL

HEY now N&N! I KNOW you're relatively young and all, but let's not overdo this whole "babe in the woods" thing here, okay?!

;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I think a big part of it is that when we go back to earlier times to search out films, we usually look for the best films from those years, whereas when we actively live through them we become acutely aware of all of the dross and dreck that comes out each year, too, stuff that people will forget and not look into in the future. It's the same principal with foreign films. Some people complain that critics seem to just "love every foreign film that comes out", when in fact it's that they're only viewing the best movie or two released by a country, and not the garbage that also got released by that same country.

I would add the caveat that if you check out boxofficemojo's top grossers each week, you'll see in recent years there are foreign films, especially from India, but sometimes from Mexico, that are screening in the US and making not a crazy amount of money but enough to be among the Top 20 grossers for a week or two. Some of these movies are grossing as much as $6 million or $7 million in their American release, usually in a very short time. I've never actually seen them at any theater near me, not even the arthouse ones, but they're playing somewhere in America where there are large concentrations of Indians. Everyone who wants to see them sees them within the first two weeks, and then they're gone again.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I would add the caveat that if you check out boxofficemojo's top grossers each week, you'll see in recent years there are foreign films, especially from India, but sometimes from Mexico, that are screening in the US and making not a crazy amount of money but enough to be among the Top 20 grossers for a week or two. Some of these movies are grossing as much as $6 million or $7 million in their American release, usually in a very short time. I've never actually seen them at any theater near me, not even the arthouse ones, but they're playing somewhere in America where there are large concentrations of Indians. Everyone who wants to see them sees them within the first two weeks, and then they're gone again.

I think that I recall coming across Chinese cinemas in various European & American cities on my travels - I guess the trick is knowing where/what they are & then (for foreign language titles) figuring out what to see & possibly whats going on (as they might not be subbed films).

Some arthouse places I've known have also shown some Indian & Hong Kong made films, in addition to Japanese titles.

As for whether a recent decade's film fare is worse than what one remembers when one was younger - it's too soon to tell - rather like the much argued definition of 'classic movie', time needs to pass before the vintage can be properly considered & compared.

18 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

If I remember the date correctly on this list I shared, it was from January of 1992, so pretty close to the time nominations were announced (February 19, 1992 per Wikipedia). And maybe its just 90s nostalgia, a yearning for simpler, less expensive films with more depth, or something, but in the case of so many of these films, they are just so good. (Silence of the Lambs, Beauty and the Beast, JFK, Fisher King, Prince of Tides, Grand Canyon, Thelma and Louise, Fried Green Tomatoes, For the Boys, Rambling Rose). Actually, after reading through, the list, I decided to watch The Doctor (an unnominated film) on HBO on demand, and its really a great little movie, very well acted, especially by Elizabeth Perkins. That's one of the great things of moviegoing really: finding hidden gems that aren't discussed about much....

I remember that movie! I haven't thought about it in years! The thing I remember is that William Hurt's doctor just seemed a little too gruff and clueless for somebody who dealt with cancer patients every day and his transformation just a little too obvious. Hurt got lots of great roles in the 1980s and Academy nominations to boot, but around 1990, that era came to an end.  But, overall, I agree. It was a good little movie.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2018 at 12:16 PM, Dargo said:

Yep, this whole waning of interest in the Oscar thing does seem to come about as we age, doesn't it. Somehow the "magic" in and of it seems to dissipate as we get older.

Not so much that, as in the obscure Globe-alization of the Oscars turns the selection more and more to minor arthouse indies, the films and performances don't stand out in the memory as much, and the 8-nomination selection makes the choices seem more arbitrary than "iconic".

So even by the end of the week, the year's Oscars already seem like old news, and the winners and losers have to take work wherever they can get it:

:P

On 3/10/2018 at 1:25 PM, calvinnme said:

I remember that movie! I haven't thought about it in years! The thing I remember is that William Hurt's doctor just seemed a little too gruff and clueless for somebody who dealt with cancer patients every day and his transformation just a little too obvious. Hurt got lots of great roles in the 1980s and Academy nominations to boot, but around 1990, that era came to an end.  But, overall, I agree. It was a good little movie.

Yes. Fine performances in that film And I was disappointed it was overlooked by Oscar that year.......

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, EricJ said:

Of course, that was the early 90's when Broadway was suffering a drought, and a lot of those same "I'm not a pedophile, I'm not a pedophile!" first early 90's-Renaissance grownup Disney fans were using "Animated musicals are the New Broadway!" as their important "artistic" excuse for praising, quote-fingers, "kiddy" films.

Which is why we got, yes, Beauty & the Beast: the Broadway Musical a year or two later.

We got the BAF literally BECAUSE those same insecure grownups kept wanting to validate their love of the New Good Disney films, and pestered the Academy endlessly to make history repeat itself as many times in succession as they could.  It didn't help that the next two films were Aladdin and Lion King.  :rolleyes: 

(In fact, according to some insiders, one of the factors that created the separate category was Disney and the fans' own incessant nonstop attention-struck showboating over "We got a nomination, we got a nomination!" for ten years that pretty much soured the committee against the "commercial" popularity of animated films.  If you think the category was created to Shut Them Up, you're not far off.)

Until 1999, of course, when Toy Story 2 opened, and a lot of grownups wanted to apologize for sniffling over Jessie's song, beginning a long nine-year quest to see a Pixar movie nominated for Best Picture.  And when '00 also had Aardman fans jumping on the Disney train and insisting that "Chicken Run" be FYC'ed--and one year after Japanese-anime fans blitzed the Best Foreign Film committee once they heard that "Princess Mononoke" had made the cut--the Academy decided someone needed a nice Time-Out Corner.

I've always felt if a movie in any form though deserves to be in the biggest race, it should be

To date though only 2 more animated features have been up for BP  "Up" & "Toy Story 3"

20 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes. Fine performances in that film And I was disappointed it was overlooked by Oscar that year.......

"The Doctor"

I saw THE DOCTOR, wasn't impressed. But then I can't say I am a huge William Hurt fan.

His career did seem to take a wrong turn during the 1990's. I think BROADCAST NEWS was his last Oscar-nominated role and that was 30 years ago.

11 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I saw THE DOCTOR, wasn't impressed. But then I can't say I am a huge William Hurt fan.

His career did seem to take a wrong turn during the 1990's. I think BROADCAST NEWS was his last Oscar-nominated role and that was 30 years ago.

He was nominated for his very brief supporting role in A History of Violence in 2005.

He was in Into the Wild not too long ago.

33 minutes ago, Hibi said:

He was in Into the Wild not too long ago.

Although he probably won't be nominated for enforcing the Sokovia Accords in "Captain America: Civil War".

18 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

[Hurt] was nominated for his very brief supporting role in A History of Violence in 2005.

how brief is it?

ps- stories of Hurt's buttholery are, I think, kind of legendary, so i'm surprised he managed to get nod number 4

15 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

how brief is it?

ps- stories of Hurt's buttholery are, I think, kind of legendary, so i'm surprised he managed to get nod number 4

I heard he was supposedly abusive to his one-time girlfriend and co-star from CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD, Marlee Matlin. 

44 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

how brief is it?

Less than 10 minutes during the final 15 minutes of the movie.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I heard he was supposedly abusive to his one-time girlfriend and co-star from CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD, Marlee Matlin. 

+1

also heard he was a real dink on the set of ONE TRUE THING, especially to the director (who was a first timer.)

also also heard he would eat a raw onion and an entire jar of mayonaise on the set of one of his movies and for that and that alone, I think he is a MONSTER.

LOL. An entire JAR??? In one sitting???