misswonderly3

What ? ! No Oscar thread this year?? !

128 posts in this topic

I can't believe there isn't a thread somewhere on these here forums dedicated to the 2018 Oscars (now old news, almost 24 hours old.) I mean, there always is - such a thread. Oh, there are a couple of very specific topics related to the Oscars, but I couldn't find one that's just a general Oscar commentary thread.

Are we that jaded with the Academy Awards that nobody bothers talking about them here anymore? What would Robert Osborne have said ? (Speaking of whom, I saw he was included in the Oscar night Memorial Tribute.)

Well, I'll be the first (maybe not, maybe there's a thread somewhere that I missed. Anyway....)

I found the 90th Academy Awards ceremony to be slightly more boring than usual - I always think it's a bit boring, and yet I always watch it, and always want to discuss it afterwards. Go figure.

Frances McDormand sure livened things up a bit with her Best Actress acceptance speech. I like Frances, she's unique, and she's always interesting. I enjoyed the way she announced "I've got a few things to say". I also think it's interesting that she really doesn't bother much with trying to look glamourous. I'm not criticizing her for that - although even though she's not what you'd call a beautiful woman, she has an appeal, and attractiveness about her sometimes that probably comes from her energy. So she can look good, in a unique Frances McDormand kind of way. But last night I think she was deliberately playing down any attempt at glamour - I swear she wasn't wearing a speck of make-up.

However, I know there are a lot of people who would probably say to me, "How come every time we're talking about a famous woman we're discussing what she looks like?" And they'd have a point.

Something they did that I thought was just plain dumb was that trip to the movie theatre next door. First, there's no way that was spontaneous, I'm sure it was planned, right down to at what point in the movie the audience was watching the glittering Hollywood celebrities would come traipsing in, distributing candy and hot dogs and "thanking" the ordinary everyday movie goers for going to the movies. One of those things that might have seemed like a good idea at the time they thought of it (whoever did), but just came across, at least to me, as extremely contrived, condescending, and a waste of time, making the already too long Oscar ceremony 15 minutes longer.

Lots of other thoughts on Oscar night, 2018, but I'm interested in what others have to say. Shirley the Academy Awards aren't so passe and irrelevant to us movie-lovers here that we don't even bother with them anymore at all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what you've said about them so far. I find myself getting less and less interested each year, as the awards season seems to grow longer every year and things are so exhausted by the time the Oscars closes things out. There were zero surprises last night, with every winner a near foregone conclusion. 

The bit with the movie theater was the low point of the night, and they seem to have not learned their lesson from last year, when Kimmel brought a group of tourists into the Oscar theater to gawk at people. That was widely considered the nadir of the evening, so Kimmel's decision to basically do the same thing again but in reverse, especially as much time as it took up, seems ill considered.

The highlights for me were seeing perennial also-rans James Ivory and Roger Deakins finally win. Ivory has a long, distinguished career as a director, but never won an Oscar, while Deakins was widely considered the greatest working cinematographer to have never won an Oscar, even after 14 nominations. 

The non-stop activism, whether it was related to the MeToo/TimesUp movement or regarding LGBTQ or racial issues or the current gun debate, all grew very tiresome, and that's even from someone who supports most of their causes.

I already posted in another thread that I enjoyed the montages done for the various acting awards, showing previous winners from throughout the years. The In Memoriam montage was a trainwreck, though, even if Eddie Vedder did a better job singing Tom Petty than I expected.

I thought the nominated songs were pretty terrible, except for the one from Call Me By Your Name. But soul-singer showcases and show tunes aren't really my thing, musically.

The best dressed women (more female objectification!) were Jennifer Garner and Eiza Gonzalez, in my opinion.

Jennifer-Garner-In-Atelier-Versace-2018-

eiza-gonzalez-oscars-2018-red-carpet-9_t

• Like 2

I was hoping for an upset in one of the major categories (except Best Actor, I was rooting for Gary), but they pretty much followed a lot of predictions.

I remember the good old days when you could count on an upset at least in the supporting categories (like Marisa Tomei winning for MY COUSIN VINNY) and occasionally in the leading category (no one could have predicted that Adrien Brody would end up walking away with the Golden Guy for Best Actor in THE PIANIST). Now as of late, the victories are becoming more and more predictable.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The non-stop activism, whether it was related to the MeToo/TimesUp movement or regarding LGBTQ or racial issues or the current gun debate, all grew very tiresome, and that's even from someone who supports most of their causes.

I support most of those issues as well (perhaps all of them), but I find stars pontificating on such matters tiresome, and I think it is really counterproductive. They are just preaching to the choir and convert no one who is not already on board politically. No one wants to admit that his/her mind was changed by some movie actor's comments.

• Like 3

I recorded the Oscars to watch the Anna May Wong chestnut so when her movie ended, around 9:15 PM EST, I could switch to Oscars and skip commercials.  I had to reset the DVR TWICE because the show was running so long.  I fast-forwarded the trip to the other theater because it looked so lame and it wasted time.  Stuff like this just adds more bloat to the show.

Certainly no real surprises this year.  In spite of all the equality and ME TOO talk, alleged predators Gary Oldman and Kobe still won Oscars.  As I said on another thread, the best part for me were the writing awards as these honor more independent-minded movies than other awards so I was happy for the GET OUT and CALL ME BY YOUR NAME wins as these were likely the only awards those movies were going to receive.  THE SHAPE OF WATER winning Best Movie was a slight surprise because THREE BILLBOARDS had won at Golden Globes, etc.  Very cool about Deakins winning, too.

These time-wasting segments of ordering pizza, candy bars, taking selfies and bringing in "civilians" from other movie theaters are beyond stupid and need to end.  Now and forever.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

I support most of those issues as well (perhaps all of them), but I find stars pontificating on such matters tiresome, and I think it is really counterproductive. They are just preaching to the choir and convert no one who is not already on board politically. No one wants to admit that his/her mind was changed by some movie actor's comments.

I would say I'm on board with a lot of the call for social and professional reform these days, but there is a fine line between bringing attention and calling for a change, and shoving it down people's throats (i apologize if that sounds rather strong). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

The bit with the movie theater was the low point of the night, and they seem to have not learned their lesson from last year, when Kimmel brought a group of tourists into the Oscar theater to gawk at people. That was widely considered the nadir of the evening, so Kimmel's decision to basically do the same thing again but in reverse, especially as much time as it took up, seems ill considered.

I think Kimmel WANTED the theme of the evening to be about "We appreciate the audiences!"--I was on a chat last night watching, and every single time someone mentioned going to a cineplex, out came the standard "I hate theaters!  Half an hour of trailers!  Loud people with cellphones, etc.!"  That's an issue with me, and probably with Kimmel and his Inner Child too, since the 20th-cty. generation grew up with actual theaters you were excited to go see, and if they weren't in an old historic place on your own main street, you probably had to road-trip over to another town to get your fix.  Today, our cineplexes are built into shopping malls, and we look at our calendar, see that this weekend is Black Panther weekend, and go to "pick up" our movie on the way back from Wal-Mart.  We've turned movies into a product instead of an experience, and now we complain about the stores and that home shopping is easier.

That's what he wanted it to be anyway.  What he got was every other presenter having their confidence artificially boosted by that kissup Golden Globes ceremony, and Natalie Portman or Emma Stone thinking "If they loved that 'male director' bit at the Globes, just WAIT till they get a load of it on the Oscar stage with the world watching!"  The four nominated male directors, and Greta Gerwig, who lost...

...Of the two "causes" fighting for attention that night, I found myself sympathizing more with Kimmel.  

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Are we that jaded with the Academy Awards that nobody bothers talking about them here anymore? What would Robert Osborne have said ? (Speaking of whom, I saw he was included in the Oscar night Memorial Tribute.)

Actually, most of the discussion was fairly busy in the "Holy Do-Over!" thread--
Not exactly the kind of title that would stand out for a general discussion, but it was all we had immediately during and after the ceremony.

I had no desire to watch the Awards this year. Ever since I stopped working at the movie theater, my movie-game has been significantly, subsequently at an all-time low. I really wasn't all that interested in a lot of the nominees anyway. I'm fairly certain I only watched nineteen 2017 movies in 2017, but some of those were Netflix original movies, the Newsies Broadway recording, and the Barbra Streisand live concert special. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I would say I'm on board with a lot of the call for social and professional reform these days, but there is a fine line between bringing attention and calling for a change, and shoving it down people's throats (i apologize if that sounds rather strong). 

If Hollywood really wants to bring about social and professional reform, then they should just do it.  Hire more women and minorities in front of and behind the camera.  Stop yakking about it and do it.  We know that movies with women or minorities in leading roles actually do make money so this should be a no-brainer even to the tone-deaf Hollywood suits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tthe high point of the Oscars ( for me anyhow) was Sam Rockwell winning Best Supporting Actor.  Years ago i saw him in a film called Box of Moonlight (1996).  I thought he'd be a big star, but it took him a rather long time to finally get critical recognition ( Oscar nomination).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, don96 said:

Tthe high point of the Oscars ( for me anyhow) was Sam Rockwell winning Best Supporting Actor.  Years ago i saw him in a film called Box of Moonlight (1996).  I thought he'd be a big star, but it took him a rather long time to finally get critical recognition ( Oscar nomination).

I've liked Rockwell for a long time, too, and was happy to see him finally get some recognition. Box of Moonlight (1996) and Lawn Dogs (1997) were the first things I really noticed him in, but he's been in movies since '89. I also liked him in Safe Men (1998), The Green Mile and Galaxy Quest (both 1999), Welcome to Collinwood and Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (both 2002), Matchstick Men (2003), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005), Joshua (2007), The Assassination of Jesse James... (2007), Choke (2008), Moon (2009), Seven Psychopaths (2012), The Way Way Back and A Single Shot (both 2013), and Better Living Through Chemistry (2014).

• Like 5

Hollywood’s Brazen Self-Celebration at the 2018 Oscars

"........ Last year’s Oscars, held during the first shock of life under a depraved new Administration, lent a sudden rush of authentic outrage to the notion of liberal Hollywood standing defiantly together. But now the enemy is within, and, under the guise of a collective embrace of new mores, the Oscars look bewildered, straining, with a handful of well-chosen speakers and well-intentioned gestures, to maintain a confident and hopeful air. Ultimately, the self-deception that Hollywood fears most involves the box office, which dropped six per cent in 2017. With awards to “Darkest Hour” and “Dunkirk,” the Oscars display their particular enthusiasm for fighting the enemies on the outside.

Increasingly, for Hollywood, the most frightening foe is Netflix.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/hollywoods-brazen-self-celebration-at-the-2018-oscars?mbid=social_twitter

• Like 2

When it comes to self congratulations, i.e. the "aren't we wonderful" type, no institution does it quite like Hollywood.   :D

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I can't believe there isn't a thread somewhere on these here forums dedicated to the 2018 Oscars (now old news, almost 24 hours old.) I mean, there always is - such a thread. Oh, there are a couple of very specific topics related to the Oscars, but I couldn't find one that's just a general Oscar commentary thread.

I wondered about the Oscar thread too this morning. I was on a plane during the ceremony, so I could not watch. I don't know if I would have even if I had been home. However, I was surprised that there was no Oscar thread on the TCM message boards this morning. I had to go inside the "Films of 2017" thread to find even a mention of it.

When I was a kid (this was a long time ago - 70s) if you wanted to watch the Oscars you had to do so live, by actually tuning in. Now there are youtubes of the highlights shortly thereafter and you can see all of the winners instantly online. However, I do enjoy the back and forth about the Oscars and who won from the TCM board members, and I missed seeing that this morning.

Thanks for mentioning the movie theatre trip. If you had not done so, I would not have known it happened. Nothing I have read so far even mentioned it, so maybe everybody else, in retrospect, thinks it was a bad idea too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

What ? ! No Oscar thread this year?? !

Are we that jaded with the Academy Awards that nobody bothers talking about them here anymore? .....

Lots of other thoughts on Oscar night, 2018, but I'm interested in what others have to say. Shirley the Academy Awards aren't so passe and irrelevant to us movie-lovers here that we don't even bother with them anymore at all.

Nope! But sure a lot of SPAM threads!!! :angry:
When I pop in here and see pages and pages of SPAM, I seldom search for a "real" thread anymore.
And even less contemplate creating one.

I used to really get "into" the Oscar ceremonies, remember having "debates" with like minded friends about them, but that was years and years ago. The last couple of decades less and less. Way too many commercials, way too long, and far less of what I'm interested in seeing and hearing about.

I remember when Brando and Scott kinda shook the Oscar world back when they shunned and politicized it... Maybe not the first time it happened, but kinda unusual at the time. That novelty has long since worn off.

Seems kinda ironic to me that the more off-topic shenanigans they pull, trying to stretch this thing to the limit, then the more sponsors they require to pay for the additional time...  more commercials, more time required for actual "content" and the longer and thinner it stretches. It's like a never ending downward spiral. 
Maybe it's always been that way, but to me the "ceremony" appears to be all about the "pre-party," the"party," and the "post" party, and very little about what the ceremony is supposed to celebrate: the "best" movies and persons that made them the "best" for the previous show year! (along with a memoriam tribute to the passing "greats" and "never" honored)
Last night I turned it on, but after the first few sets of never ending sponsor promo's had to cut it off.
I learned more about what happened in five minutes here than I could likely endure through two plus hours there.
It was down to watching an old Anna May Wong picture that I'd never seen or the latest episode of "The Walking Dead."
(Yeah, I'd rather watch zombies than the Oscars anymore...)
I could only record one and watch another on my old DVR, and the Oscars didn't rate high enough.

Call me jaded, call me unpatriotic (don't even get off on the 4th anymore, and I used to really love burning up money, er fireworks), but maybe that's part of getting old and turning into a grumpy old man.

Anyway, yes I agree with the cause/s and call/s for change, and maybe I'll watch them again in another year.... maybe (probably) not. So thanks for the thread.
If someone would just post all the winners in all the categories then my needs will have been met.
I've seen a couple, and am on a wait list from my local library to watch all of the (now former) candidates (as has been my routine the last few years). So by this time next year I should be more in the know and ready to discuss about this years Oscar winners. If somebody cares to start such a belated thread at that time... :unsure:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephan55 said:

I used to really get "into" the Oscar ceremonies, remember having "debates" with like minded friends about them, but that was years and years ago. The last couple of decades less and less. Way too many commercials, way too long, and far less of what I'm interested in seeing and hearing about.

I remember when Brando and Scott kinda shook the Oscar world back when they shunned and politicized it... Maybe not the first time it happened, but kinda unusual at the time. That novelty has long since worn off.

Last year, I found myself multitasking between streaming the Oscars, and writing a blog column about WHY nobody's gotten excited about the Oscars since 2004:

http://movieactivist.blogspot.com/2017/02/february-27-2017-who-killed-oscars.html

It's still pretty much up to date, as all the problems are still in place...Well, all but ONE, of course, and his lack of presence this year was much appreciated.   :P

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stephan55 said:

If someone would just post all the winners in all the categories then my needs will have been met.

I'm not sure if you're seriously wanting a list (there's one or two in other threads), but here's last night's winners, by film:

The Shape of Water: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Score, Best Production Design

Darkest Hour: Best Actor (Gary Oldman), Best Makeup & Hairstyling

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Best Actress (Frances MCDormand), Best Supporting Actor (Sam Rockwell

I, Tonya: Best Supporting Actress (Allison Janney)

Get Out: Best Original Screenplay

Call Me By Your Name: Best Adapted Screenplay

Coco: Best Animated Feature, Best Original Song

A Fantastic Woman: Best Foreign Language Film (Chile)

Icarus: Best Documentary

Dunkirk: Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Editing

Blade Runner 2049: Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects

Phantom Thread: Best Costumes

Plus the short films Dear Basketball (animated), Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405 (documentary), and The Silent Child (live action)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, Kimmel came across as trying too hard. His comments about how important Black Panther (an inane culture industry superhero movie that happens to have an all African-American cast) and how he wishes he was a woman came across as particularly cringey. I understand supporting the #metoo movement but that's just reaching parody levels of virtue signalling. 

I was also stunned by the lack of a general Oscar thread. As I recall, last year, someone was taking the time to create a thread and make a post with a link to Variety or something as each winner was announced. I almost started a thread with the exact same title. I heard today this was the least-watched Oscars ever, with only 29 million viewers. That's still no small potatoes for TV these days - 29 million viewers was almost one out of every three people watching network TV at that time. But it's rougher times for network TV these days, except for the Super Bowl. The days when 130 million people or whatever all watch the last episode of M*A*S*H at the same time are long gone. I started a couple of threads during the ceremony, hoping to generate some conversation, but no.

I figured at least the hard-core right-wingers on here would let us know they hate Jane Fonda or tell us how all the accusations of rape are fake news (one poster on here actually said that) or how they hate the demonization of white men or whatever, but not even any of that! 

So, maybe it's just that like in the nation in general, fewer TCM message board members than ever watched the ceremonies this year. Or maybe it's the horrible explosion of spam the last few days (still going on tonight, I see), by far the worst continued existence of it in the 10 years I've been on these boards that has kept everyone away. It is definitely exhausting every time I come on here 90% of the topic titles on Page One are in Korean.

• Like 1

It goes with the passage of time, I know, but a few Oscar broadcasts ago I noticed that I missed seeing Jack in the front row. Jack with his Foster Grants and a big "life is good" smile on his face, sometimes interacting from his seat with that year's host (remember Billy Crystal and his bantering with Jack from the stage?).

Jack+Nicholson+-+Academy+Awards+-+Oscars

Last night I noticed the replacement Hollywood big gun who now seems to get the same front row attention at the Oscars that used to be Jack's . . .

meryl-streep-gif-worthy-oscars-2018.gif

Meryl! An actress of prestige and modern film icon, the most Oscar nominated actor in history.

She's Hollywood royalty, too, as was Jack (well, still is, I suppose, but now largely gone from the limelight).

Maybe that's my point about Jack. Great as he could be, at times, as an actor, and certainly personality, after all his years before the camera he was truly a larger-than-life star. A throwback in that respect to some of the great stars of the past.

Talented as some of today's stars may be, I don't see that same quality there.

Jack's mere smiling presence in the front row, year after year, brought a touch of excitement to the Oscars that was clearly missing last night for me. I'm not knocking Meryl because she's a class act. I wish, though, that Jack could still be around, as well. I think the Oscars would be a little bit more fun if he was.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I'm not sure if you're seriously wanting a list (there's one or two in other threads), but here's last night's winners, by film:

The Shape of Water: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Score, Best Production Design

Darkest Hour: Best Actor (Gary Oldman), Best Makeup & Hairstyling

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Best Actress (Frances MCDormand), Best Supporting Actor (Sam Rockwell

I, Tonya: Best Supporting Actress (Allison Janney)

Get Out: Best Original Screenplay

Call Me By Your Name: Best Adapted Screenplay

Coco: Best Animated Feature, Best Original Song

A Fantastic Woman: Best Foreign Language Film (Chile)

Icarus: Best Documentary

Dunkirk: Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Editing

Blade Runner 2049: Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects

Phantom Thread: Best Costumes

Plus the short films Dear Basketball (animated), Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405 (documentary), and The Silent Child (live action)

Thanks Larry, the ones highlighted in GREEN are already on my "want-to-see" wait list.
The couple in RED I've already seen and very much "enjoyed" (appreciated).
The others I will add to my list. Thanks (for not making me look for those other threads "buried" in SPAM)

26 minutes ago, TomJH said:

It goes with the passage of time, I know, but a few Oscar broadcasts ago I noticed that I missed seeing Jack in the front row. Jack with his Foster Grants and a big "life is good" smile on his face, sometimes interacting from his seat with that year's host (remember Billy Crystal and his bantering with Jack from the stage?).

Jack+Nicholson+-+Academy+Awards+-+Oscars

Jack was probably at a Lakers game with his daughter Louise.

Related image

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Jack was probably at a Lakers game with his daughter Louise.

Smart man.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I thought the nominated songs were pretty terrible, except for the one from Call Me By Your Name. But soul-singer showcases and show tunes aren't really my thing, musically.

I know you said you thought the rest were terrible, but I enjoyed the Latin flavor of the Remember Me song from DisneyPixar's Coco. I think it's great that there are more movies being made that explore the culture of Mexico, because it's a fascinating topic. I also liked the song that Surfjan Stevens sung from Call Me By Your Name.

• Like 1

Surprisingly the politics were fairly low key as was the show   But the actual winners to this longtime pundit were no surprise & I hit 7 out of the top 8 races on the $money$ & overall 19 for 24

"Get 0ut" taking Best 0. script was asinine though & most I know agree that the AMPAS has really lowered it's bar & it kinda' started for 2009, with 8 to 10 BP contenders & this prefferential ballot & now, pc

Plus no heavyweights like *Nicholson, *Hanks,etc

As 2 time winner *George Stevens-(l904-l975) said of his tremendous & 6 time winning 1951 classic "A PLACE IN THE SUN" "We Will really Know Just How Good This Picture Is In 20 Years" UNQUOTE