CinemaInternational

The FilmStruck Thread

154 posts in this topic

i don't know if there has been a thread for this before, but since Warner Archive decided to fold their streaming service into the TCM/Criterion run FilmStruck, I thought that now would be a good time to start a thread on some of the offerings that are being added. 

New arrivals (which last through late August- Early September) include:

the entire Thin Man series

Films directed by G.W. Pabst (Secrets of a Soul, The loves of Jeanne Nay, Pandora's Box, Diary of a Lost Girl, Westfront 1918, The Threepenny Opera, Kameradschaft) 

The Astaire/Rogers films (Flying Down to Rio, The Gay Divorcee, Roberta, Top Hat, Swing Time, Follow the Fleet, Shall We Dance, Carefree, The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle, and The Barkleys of Broadway)

Films directed by Fred Zinnemann (Redes, Kid Glove Killer, Eyes in the Night, The Seventh Cross, The Search, Act of Violence, From Here to Eternity, The Nun's Story, The Sundowners, Behold a Pale Horse, A Man for All Seasons)

Bette Davis films (Hell's House, The Cabin in the Cotton, Three on a Match, 20,000 years in Sing Sing, Of Human Bondage, The Petrifed Forest, Marked Woman, Jezebel, Dark Victory, The Old Maid, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, All This and Heaven Too, The Great Lie, The Little Foxes, The man Who Came to Dinner, Now Voyager, Watch on the Rhine, Mr. Skeffington, The Corn in Green, Another Man's Poison, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Dead Ringer, Lo Scopone Scientifico)

and films featuring Peter Falk (Wind Across the Everglades, Robin and the Seven Hoods, The Great Race, Penelope, Machine Gun McCain, A Woman Under the Influence, Mikey and Nicky, the In-Laws, All the Marbles, Wings of the Desire, The Player (where I guess he had a walk-on cameo))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Yep, pretty much every one of those great archival vintage-catalog boxsets Warner USED to release (Fred & Ginger, Busby Berkeley, Val Lewton, 50's B-movies), which "Mad King Ludwig" later exiled to his dungeon, as part of Warner's literal campaign to wipe physical disk off the face of retail....And which is now a lot less likely to happen.  :P

If you look at what happened to the Movie Morlocks/Filmstruck blog, this is the best thing that could happen to Filmstruck as well:  When TCM didn't show up, what was originally supposed to be a mix of Criterion arthouse and TCM studio classics eventually became all Criterion arthouse, the film discussions either turned snooty or gay-cinema, anyone who disagreed (with the latter) was banned from the blog, and pretty soon no one was posting...People aren't going to pay $11 a month for THAT.  But with classics on the catalog, you might get a few folk who want to look up "real" movies, just to thumb their nose at Netflix--Or Millennials, who never watch movies anywhere else but the net, saying "See, see, I AM watching 'old movies', so there!  I'm even going to watch Citizen Kane, nyeah!"

We never got a TCM/Criterion service, but we did get an Instant Archive/Criterion service, where all the Warner, MGM and RKO classics just happened to be anyway.  Worked out nicely for Instant Archive as well, since the limited catalog they had streaming rights for on their own seemed to have permanently stagnated--I had Instant Archve for a month or two, caught up on Salem's Lot, Jupiter's Darling, The Horn Blows At Midnight, those two 70's Gene Roddenberry TV-movies and the three Peter Ustinov Poirot TV-movies, and...NOW what??  Every other of their exiled classics I'd already caught on disk!

• Thanks 1

New arrivals include a block of Ava Gardner titles: The Hucksters, The Great Sinner, Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, Show Boat, Knights of the Round Table, Bhowani Junction,  Seven Days in May, and the Night of the Iguana, plus a documentary about her.

• Like 1

I've been watching more FilmStruck lately, and it's gotten a little better. I was having a lot of freeze-up and buffering issues, as well as the sound dropping out of sync, to the point that I quit using the service for about a month. But I haven't had much issue very recently, with only one instance of sound derailment, and no freezing.

I still have some gripes, like sorting through titles can be tedious unless you know specifically what you are looking for, and switching from menu to watchlist takes too long, with the flashing "processing" screen quickly becoming my bane. But maybe it's my fault for having a hundred titles in my watchlist. -_-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Also added:

Anna May Wong films (The Thief of Bagdad ('24), Mr. Wu, Piccadilly, Tiger Bay, When Were You Born, Impact)

Produced and/or Directed by Bob Rafelson (Easy Rider, The Last Picture Show, Five Easy Pieces, The King of Marvin Gardens, Stay Hungry)

Young love (Splendor in the Grass, A Patch of Blue, Summer of '42, A Little Romance, Gregory's Girl)

Directed by Věra Chytilová (A Bagful of Fleas, Something Different, Daisies, Fruit of Paradise, Pearls of the Deep)

Directed by Christopher Guest (Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty wind, For Your Consideration)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

New arrivals include a block of Ava Gardner titles: The Hucksters, The Great Sinner, Pandora and the Flying Dutchman, Show Boat, Knights of the Round Table, Bhowani Junction,  Seven Days in May, and the Night of the Iguana, plus a documentary about her.

Glad you're keeping us abreast of newly added titles. 

I think they need to improve the TCM Select choices. It kind of feels like the 31 Days of Oscar stuff under a new label. I think they should include some highly regarded B films. Their reliance on the "auteur" theory means they are primarily focused on "A" films and directors who are household names. So good titles by lesser directors featuring lesser stars are often overlooked. The goal should be to show classics, regardless of director or performer pedigree.

• Like 1

I've been a huge Criterion Collection fan for decades, so I signed up immediately when Filmstuck launched. It's made a lot of improvements from what it was in the beginning. I hope they add more streaming options like the Xbox One, PS4 and finally creating a Samsung's SmartTV app.

I was disappointed that the TCM selection wasn't as impressive as the Criterion side. However, I was elated at the Warner Archive news. Looks like things are slowly trickling in. I too would like some more lesser known titles.

Here is Filmstruck's page for what is coming and leaving the site. Some Filmstruck titles are part of the Criterion price tier, so those are noted by the "Wacky C."

Say Hello & Say Adieu

I also just found this website posted by a Reddit user, which allows you to sort by some categories. It is a work in progress so it's quite rough. I still think it's very useful. Reddit posters are giving suggestions to make it better.

http://www.disobey.com/wiki/FilmStruck

I also use JustWatch.com to keep track of all streaming services. I use it primarily to find out where movies I want to see are streaming and to see what is new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This week on FilmStruck:

Director of the Week: Herbert Ross

• Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969)
  • The Last of Sheila (1973)
  • The Sunshine Boys (1975)
  • The Goodbye Girl (1977)
  • Pennies from Heaven (1981)

Stars of the Week: Hepburn & Tracy

• Woman of the Year (1942)
  • Keeper of the Flame (1943)
  • Without Love (1945)
  • The Sea of Grass (1947)
  • Adam's Rib (1949)
  • Pat and Mike (1952)

Early Scorsese

• Who's That Knocking at My Door (1967)
  • Mean Streets (1973)
  • Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (1974)

Cinematography by Russell Boyd

• Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
  • The Last Wave (1977)
  • Starstruck (1982)
  • The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)
  • Tender Mercies (1983)
  • Mrs. Soffel (1984)

Cinema Passport: Romania

• The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
  • 12:08 East of Bucharest (2008)
  • If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle (2010)
  • Child's Pose (2013)

Troubled Waters

• The Breaking Point (1950)
  • His Kind of Woman (1951)
  • Macao (1952)
  • L'Avventura (1960)
  • Purple Noon (1961)
  • Knife in the Water (1962)
  • The Last of Sheila (1973)
  • Night Moves (1975)

• Thanks 3

That's a nice list of movies with a good variety of things to watch. I've seen all the early Scorsese, but I wouldn't mind watching them again. I watched Antigone earlier in the week which I hadn't seen in about 20 years. The Cinema Passport theme is one of their most interesting ones since it spotlights countries other than Italy, France and Japan.

• Like 2

This Week on FilmStruck

Director of the Week: Pier Paolo Pasolini

• Accattone (1961)
  • Mamma Roma (1962)
  • La Rabbia (1963)
  • Love Meetings (1964)
  • The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)
  • Teorema (1968)
  • Pigsty (1969)

Star of the Week: Gary Cooper

• A Farewell to Arms (1932)
  • The Wedding Night (1935)
  • The Adventures of Marco Polo (1938)
  • The Real Glory (1939)
  • Ball of Fire (1941)
  • Sergeant York (1941)
  • The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
  • Task Force (1949)
  • The Fountainhead (1949)
  • Friendly Persuasion (1956)
  • Love in the Afternoon (1957

Icon: Anna Magnani

• Rome Open City (1945)
  • L'amore (1948)
  • The Golden Coach (1953)
  • The Fugitive Kind (1960)
  • Mamma Roma (1962)
  • The Secret of Santa Vittoria (1969)
  • L'automobile (1971)

Vietnam on the Homefront

• Winter Soldier (1972)
  • Hearts and Minds (1974)
  • The Camden 28 (2007)

Fish Out of Water Comedies

• The Gold Rush (1925)
  • Pygmalion (1938)
  • The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942)
  • No Time for Sergeants (1958)
  • My Favorite Year (1982)
  • Local Hero (1983)
  • Stranger Than Paradise (1984)

Tales of Christ

• Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ (1925)
  • The King of Kings (1927)
  • Ben-Hur (1959)
  • King of Kings (1961)
  • The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)
  • Jesus of Nazareth (1977)

• Like 1

This Week on FilmStruck

Director of the Week: Andrzej Wajda

• A Generation (1955)
  • Kanal (1957)
  • Ashes and Diamonds (1958)
  • Siberian Lady Macbeth (1962)
  • Danton (1982)
  • Pan Tadeusz (1999)
  • Wajda by Wajda (2016)

Star of the Week: Leslie Caron

• An American in Paris (1951)
  • The Man with a Cloak (1951)
  • The Story of Three Loves (1953)
  • The Glass Slipper (1955)
  • Gigi (1958)
  • Austerlitz (1960)
  • Fanny (1961)
  • Chandler (1971)

Cops Undercover

• T-Men (1948)
  • Between Eleven and Midnight (1949)
  • Border Incident (1949)
  • The Narrow Margin (1952)
  • Reservoir Dogs (1992)
  • Infernal Affairs (2002)

From Memoir to Movie

• I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955)
  • Somebody Up There Likes Me (1956)
  • The Spirit of St. Louis (1957)
  • Gypsy (1962)
  • The Pianist (2002)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Star of the Week: Leslie Caron

• The Man with a Cloak (1951)
  • The Glass Slipper (1955)
  • Gigi (1958)
  • Austerlitz (1960)
  • Fanny (1961)
  • Chandler (1971) 

Great:  Instant Archive joins the big service, and I still don't get a chance to see Lili (1953) 

Had to go and rent that one from the library last week, that one always seemed to slip through the cracks of the Great MGM Musicals--I'd never even heard of it until it showed up with a group of MGM Kids' Matinees in the 70's, and even then I didn't get to see it.  

The "STAR OF THE WEEK" collections last only for one week. Why don't they do it like with the "DIRECTOR OF THE WEEK" collections, which after one week are keep intact by simply changing the name to "DIRECTED BY" and still easy to find in the "COLLECTIONS" section until the movies expiration date? Yes, the movies of all the "stars of the week" are still there, but not as collections anymore, and therefore become difficult to be found, except if you go to the "BROWSE ALL" section. Or you can find them by searching for the name of the star, but will you remember the names of ALL the past stars of the week? The "STAR OF THE WEEK" collections are the only ones that are erased before expiration date, and it simply doesn't make any sense. 

And another thing: why don't they keep all the available collections always on display in the "COLLECTIONS" section? It would solve all the problems to find any collection of movies. 

On 4/6/2018 at 6:05 PM, EricJ said:

Great:  Instant Archive joins the big service, and I still don't get a chance to see Lili (1953) 

Lili was added as part of the theme it expires October 5th

This Week On FilmStruck

Director of the Week: Vincente Minnelli

• Cabin in the Sky (1943)
  • Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
  • The Clock (1945)
  • The Pirate (1948)
  • Madame Bovary (1949)
  • Father of the Bride (1950)
  • Father's Little Dividend (1951)
  • The Bad and the Beautiful (1952)
  • The Band Wagon (1953)
  • The Long, Long Trailer (1954)
  • Brigadoon (1954)
  • The Cobweb (1955)
  • Lust for Life (1956)
  • Tea and Sympathy (1956)
  • Designing Woman (1957)
  • Gigi (1958)
  • The Reluctant Debutante (1958)
  • Some Came Running (1958)
  • Home from the Hill (1960)
  • Bells Are Ringing  (1960)
  • The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1962)
  • Two Weeks in Another Town (1962)
  • The Courtship of Eddie's Father (1963)

Star of the Week: Charles Laughton

• The Private Life of Henry VIII (1933)
  • The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934)
  • Mutiny On the Bounty (1935)
  • Rembrandt (1936)
  • St. Martin's Lane (1938)
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)
  • The Canterville Ghost (1944)
  • The Bribe (1949)
  • The Man On the Eiffel Tower (1950)
  • Young Bess (1953)
  • Hobson's Choice (1954)
  • Advise & Consent (1962)

Essence of L.A.

• White Heat (1949)
  • Them! (1954)
  • Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
  • The Exiles (1961)
  • The Decline of Western Civilization (1981)
  • My Brother's Wedding (1983)
  • Stand and Deliver (1988)
  • Tequila Sunrise (1988)
  • The Player (1992)
  • Falling Down (1993)
  • Magnolia (1999)

John Ford Comedies

• The Whole Town's Talking (1935)
  • Steamboat Round the Bend (1935)
  • Tobacco Road (1941)
  • What Price Glory (1952)
  • Mister Roberts (1955)

World of Ballet

• A Dancer's World (1957)
  • Appalachian Spring (1958)
  • Night Journey (1960)
  • Ballets Russes (2005)
  • Ballerina (2006)
  • Only When I Dance (2009)
  • Dancing Across Borders (2010)

• Like 1

This Week on FilmStruck

Directors of the Week: The Maysles Brothers

• Salesman (1968)
  • Gimme Shelter (1970)
  • Grey Gardens (1976)
  • Running Fence (1978)
  • Christo in Paris (1990)
  • Christo's Valley Curtain (1973)
  • The Beales of Grey Gardens (2006)
  • Islands (1987)
  • The Gates (2007)

Star of the Week: Elizabeth Taylor

• Lassie Come Home (1943)
  • National Velvet (1944)
  • Courage of Lassie (1946)
  • Life with Father (1947)
  • Julia Misbehaves (1948)
  • Little Women (1949)
  • Father of the Bride (1950)
  • Father's Little Dividend (1951)
  • Ivanhoe (1952)
  • Giant (1956)
  • Raintree County (1957)
  • Cat On a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
  • Butterfield 8 (1960)
  • The V.I.P.s (1963)
  • Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
  • Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)
  • The Comedians (1967)

Early Hitchcock

• The Lodger (1927)
  • Downhill (1927)
  • The Farmer's Wife (1928)
  • The Manxman (1929)
  • The Skin Game (1931)
  • Rich and Strange (1932)
  • Number 17 (1932)
  • The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
  • The 39 Steps (1935)
  • Sabotage (1936)
  • Young and Innocent (1937)
  • The Lady Vanishes (1938)

Directed by Pedro Costa

• Casa de Lava (1994)
  • Ossos (1997)
  • In Vanda's Room (2000)
  • Colossal Youth (2006)

It Could Be Worse

• Escape from New York (1981)
  • Mars Attacks! (1996)
  • Wag the Dog (1997)

• Thanks 1

I was wondering whether anyone was going to comment on the recent Twitter-fire all over the Internet since last Tuesday--

When Filmstruck's Twitter account, innocently thinking they were starting another Twitter "chain-letter" challenge like that ice-bucket thing, to "Name four favorite movies and challenge four friends to name theirs", and #FilmStruck4 started becoming a keyboard-and-graphic-posting addiction for three days.  Naturally, that bit of burped-at-the-table attention started creating Post-4 challenges for "Comedy", "Horror", "Cult", "World Cinema", "Describe yourself", etc., and by nighttime, it was happily out of control.  :lol:

https://twitter.com/FilmStruck/status/986228505884098560

I wasn't aware the non-Criterion mainstream-Warner half of Filmstruck had been corporately TCM-branded--after Warner stopped trying to go it alone and folded the Instant Archive service where most of the 30's-50's classics and unwanted Paramount/MGM disk titles had been exiled anyway--but with every Twitter post now saying "Thank you, Filmstruck!" (or sometimes "Thank you TCM and Filmstruck!"), is anyone else worried that it's creating too much of a cult-of-personality for the service?--A sort of "I'm watching great movies on Filmstruck now, now that stinky old Netflix won't show me anything anymore!"?  

I was worried it was creating too much of the same private "Chablis" image of the 70's Woody Allen days, when only the uptown intelligencia knew the classics while everyone else stuck to TV and laughed at the "Late show"--The same problem with TCM basically monopolizing most movie-broadcast airing to expensive premium cable.  And seeing the initial honeymoon burst of newly enthusiastic fan loyalty/sycophancy after "regular" movie classics started showing up on the formerly all-Criterion channel (and suspecting the good and the bad of where most of it was coming from), I was hot under the collar enough to start reviving the blog:

http://movieactivist.blogspot.com/2018/04/will-you-accept-this-flower-from-holy.html

On 4/11/2018 at 8:01 AM, angelopilla said:

The "STAR OF THE WEEK" collections last only for one week. Why don't they do it like with the "DIRECTOR OF THE WEEK" collections, which after one week are keep intact by simply changing the name to "DIRECTED BY" and still easy to find in the "COLLECTIONS" section until the movies expiration date? Yes, the movies of all the "stars of the week" are still there, but not as collections anymore, and therefore become difficult to be found, except if you go to the "BROWSE ALL" section. Or you can find them by searching for the name of the star, but will you remember the names of ALL the past stars of the week? The "STAR OF THE WEEK" collections are the only ones that are erased before expiration date, and it simply doesn't make any sense. 

And another thing: why don't they keep all the available collections always on display in the "COLLECTIONS" section? It would solve all the problems to find any collection of movies. 

I agree about the Star of the Week collections. After the week ends, they should just rename it "Starring ________" especially since we know Charles Laughton's films and Leslie Caron's films will be on the site for a few months. 

I'm glad Lawrence is keeping a running record here so we can go back and see which stars have been honored.

38 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I agree about the Star of the Week collections. After the week ends, they should just rename it "Starring ________" especially since we know Charles Laughton's films and Leslie Caron's films will be on the site for a few months. 

I'm glad Lawrence is keeping a running record here so we can go back and see which stars have been honored.

They do last longer than a week, I think. The Peter Falk showcase a few weeks back was set to remain there until early September.

22 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

They do last longer than a week, I think. The Peter Falk showcase a few weeks back was set to remain there until early September.

That's what I meant. The films stay on the site for several months, but the Star of the Week changes. So you have to keep track of who was previously featured. For the directors, this is not necessary because they just switch it from Director of the Week to Directed By.

Thought it might help to do monthly updates...

Leaving FilmStruck in May

4th...DARK JOURNEY (1937)*
11th..DARK ALIBI (1946)
11th..THE YOUNG DOCTORS (1961)
11th..THE IROQUOIS TRAIL (1950)
11th..FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956)
11th..99 RIVER STREET (1953)
11th..THE PHENIX CITY STORY (1955)
11th..KANSAS CITY CONFIDENTIAL (1952)
11th..HELL TO ETERNITY (1960)
11th..THE SHANGHAI COBRA (1945)
18th..SENSO (1954)*
18th..FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT (1940)*
25th..BRIGHTON ROCK (1948)
25th..21 DAYS (1940)*
25th..WENT THE DAY WELL? (1942)
25th..THE FALLEN IDOL (1948)*
25th..THE THIRD MAN (1949)*
25th..TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942)*

*Still available on the Criterion Channel

This Week On FilmStruck

Director of the Week: Yasujiro Ozu

• Days of Youth (1929)
  • I Graduated, But... (1929)
  • A Straightforward Boy (1929)
  • Walk Cheerfully (1930)
  • I Flunked, But... (1930)
  • That Night's Wife (1930)
  • The Lady and the Beard (1931)
  • Tokyo Chorus (1931)
  • I Was Born, But... (1932)
  • Where Now Are the Dreams of Youth? (1932)
  • Woman of Tokyo (1933)
  • Dragnet Girl (1933)
  • Passing Fancy (1933)
  • A Mother Should Be Loved (1934)
  • A Story of Floating Weeds (1934)
  • An Inn in Tokyo (1935)
  • The Only Son (1936)
  • What Did the Lady Forget? (1937)
  • Brothers and Sisters of the Toda Family (1941)
  • There Was a Father (1942)
  • Record of a Tenement Gentleman (1947)
  • A Hen in the Wind (1948)
  • Late Spring (1949)
  • The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice (1952)
  • Tokyo Story (1953)
  • Early Spring (1956)
  • Tokyo Twilight (1957)
  • Equinox Flower (1958)
  • Good Morning (1959)
  • Floating Weeds (1959)
  • Late Autumn (1960)
  • The End of Summer (1961)
  • An Autumn Afternoon (1962)

Star of the Week: Marlon Brando

• A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
  • Julius Caesar (1953)
  • On the Waterfront (1954)
  • Guys and Dolls (1955)
  • The Teahouse of the August Moon (1956)
  • The Fugitive Kind (1960)
  • Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)
  • The Nightcomers (1971)
  • The Formula (1980)
  • The Freshman (1990)

The Brilliance of Busby Berkeley

• The Kid from Spain (1932)
  • 42nd Street (1933)
  • Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)
  • Footlight Parade (1933)
  • Dames (1934)
  • Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935)
  • Gold Diggers of 1937 (1936)
  • They Made Me a Criminal (1939)
  • Fast and Furious (1939)
  • Strike Up the Band (1940)
  • For Me and My Gal (1942)
  • Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949)
  • Million Dollar Mermaid (1952)
  • Small Town Girl (1953)
  • Billy Rose's Jumbo (1962)

I am curious about the picture and sound quality of FilmStruck versus TCM on cable or satellite. Ever since my cable company went digital, picture and sound have taken a hit. Just wondering if streaming services like FilmStruck are any different?

5 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

I am curious about the picture and sound quality of FilmStruck versus TCM on cable or satellite. Ever since my cable company went digital, picture and sound have taken a hit. Just wondering if streaming services like FilmStruck are any different?

That's strange. Are you using a standard definition TV or an HD TV? The digital signal should be better. Sound issues crop up when stations broadcast in 5.1 surround sound, and unless that's what you have hooked up, the sound will be muffled or have a poorly-mixed sound, as in the background music or sound effects are too loud compared to the dialogue. But that's usually not an issue with TCM, as most of their films are broadcast in mono or stereo. 

I haven't had any issues with the picture quality of FilmStruck, and find that it's usually better and sharper than that of Amazon Prime. Netflix picture quality is good, and FilmStruck is comparable.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That's strange. Are you using a standard definition TV or an HD TV? The digital signal should be better. Sound issues crop up when stations broadcast in 5.1 surround sound, and unless that's what you have hooked up, the sound will be muffled or have a poorly-mixed sound, as in the background music or sound effects are too loud compared to the dialogue. But that's usually not an issue with TCM, as most of their films are broadcast in mono or stereo. 

I haven't had any issues with the picture quality of FilmStruck, and find that it's usually better and sharper than that of Amazon Prime. Netflix picture quality is good, and FilmStruck is comparable.

We have a 39 inch (1080p) flat screen. I do know picture quality is different between CRT and LCD/LED. The picture on many channels has poor signal to noise. I can see it with darker scenes, where it looks like the background is in constant motion. TCM has issues with audio leveling, but all the channels do. We are expected to purchase additional products to fix it. I don't have 5.1, and do suspect that is a problem. I have a slight background in radio, and know what a limiter/compressor looks like. In the old days, you could not trust a DJ to watch the meters. I have complained to everyone possible for the last 11 years about TV audio. My Vizio has audio tools on-board, but they only feed the pathetic TV speakers, not the soundbar, which does not have any special features. I am a complete novice when it comes to streaming channels. I would consider cutting the cable cord in a heartbeat, just to get improved picture and sound.