CinemaInternational

The FilmStruck Thread

97 posts in this topic

I found a link to a 30 day free trial of FilmStruck. Other web searches imply it only works if enrolled in a class with Martin Scorsese. 30 days would make it a more relaxed trial, one that might make me consider it annually.

On 4/27/2018 at 11:22 AM, LawrenceA said:

This Week On FilmStruck

The Brilliance of Busby Berkeley

• They Made Me a Criminal (1939)
  • Small Town Girl (1953)
  • Billy Rose's Jumbo (1962)

I knew he did the others, but never realized he had worked on those three before--That would certainly explain bouncy Bobby Van from "Small Town Girl".

Of course, that's not counting the uncredited work Berkeley did for MGM on Wizard of Oz's musical numbers:  We know the Scarecrow's deleted "pumpkin dance", but having studied Berkeley's Warner numbers, I put to you that you can spot Busby's licks in every single musical number from Oz.  If you can't spot his fingerprints all over the Tin Man's song or the Emerald City "Merry Old Land of Oz" number, you're just not looking close enough.

This Week on FilmStruck

Director of the Week: David Lean

• In Which We Serve (1942)
  • Blithe Spirit (1945)
  • Brief Encounter (1945)
  • Great Expectations (1946)
  • Oliver Twist (1948)
  • The Passionate Friends (1949)
  • Madeleine (1950)
  • The Sound Barrier (1952)
  • Hobson's Choice (1954)
  • Summertime (1955)
  • The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
  • Doctor Zhivago (1965)
  • Ryan's Daughter (1970)
  • A Passage to India (1985)
  • Nostromo: David Lean's Impossible Dream (2017)

Star of the Week: Jean Harlow

• Red-Headed Woman (1932)
  • Red Dust (1932)
  • Hold Your Man (1933)
  • Dinner at Eight (1933)
  • Bombshell (1933)
  • The Girl from Missouri (1934)
  • Reckless (1935)
  • China Seas (1935)
  • Riffraff (1936)
  • Wife vs, Secretary (1936)
  • Suzy (1936)
  • Libeled Lady (1936)
  • Personal Property (1937)
  • Saratoga (1937)

A Journey Through French Cinema

• Grand Illusion (1937)
  • Un carnet de bal (1937)
  • La Marseillaise (1938)
  • Remorques (1941)
  • Le garcon sauvage (1951)
  • The Earrings of Madame de... (1952)
  • Touchez pas au grisbi (1954)
  • Bob le flambeur (1955)
  • A Man Escaped (1956)
  • Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
  • Le trou (1960)
  • Shoot the Piano Player (1960)
  • Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962)
  • Alphaville (1965)
  • Army of Shadows (1969)
  • Les Choses De La Vie (1970)
  • Le Chat (1971)
  • My Journey Through French Cinema (2016)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lawrence ... You look ... Different. I like it. The other pic was a little spooky. Before I cut the cord and kill the wire to my television, things need to improve. Many of us find frustrations with TCM, including a recent thread about the TCM Wine Club promos on air. I love classic movies, and TCM is by far the single most convenient place to get them. But it is not the only place. If I were to move to FilmStruck, it would mean no more TCM. So, what if we move our loyalty to FilmStruck? While I've always been a real-time TV viewer, the idea of on demand is more inviting than even the DVR. I follow cord cutting news daily. TCM is available on many services, some in the base fee. So we shall see how the cookie crumbles with the future of TCM and FilmStruck. Cutting the cord and keeping classic movies is the easy part. Could moving to FilmStruck by too many viewers, cripple TCM? Maybe that is why they have all this other stuff going on.

58 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Lawrence ... You look ... Different. I like it. The other pic was a little spooky. Before I cut the cord and kill the wire to my television, things need to improve. Many of us find frustrations with TCM, including a recent thread about the TCM Wine Club promos on air. I love classic movies, and TCM is by far the single most convenient place to get them. But it is not the only place. If I were to move to FilmStruck, it would mean no more TCM. So, what if we move our loyalty to FilmStruck? While I've always been a real-time TV viewer, the idea of on demand is more inviting than even the DVR. I follow cord cutting news daily. TCM is available on many services, some in the base fee. So we shall see how the cookie crumbles with the future of TCM and FilmStruck. Cutting the cord and keeping classic movies is the easy part. Could moving to FilmStruck by too many viewers, cripple TCM? Maybe that is why they have all this other stuff going on.

There's been a lot of talk on here recently about FilmStruck supplanting the TCM TV channel, but I think that's very premature. FilmStruck has a long way to go to match TCM's programming variety. I like FilmStruck, but that's because I like foreign and arthouse films, and the Criterion section of FilmStruck is loaded with them. However, the majority of film viewers (and TCM viewers) have little to no interest in that kind of stuff. 

I'd thought about doing some data collection by looking at what is being shown in one of the upcoming months on TCM and seeing how many of those same films are available on FilmStruck. That would take some time, and I'm not sure if I'm interested enough to devote myself to the endeavor. We'll see...

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

There's been a lot of talk on here recently about FilmStruck supplanting the TCM TV channel, but I think that's very premature. FilmStruck has a long way to go to match TCM's programming variety. I like FilmStruck, but that's because I like foreign and arthouse films, and the Criterion section of FilmStruck is loaded with them. However, the majority of film viewers (and TCM viewers) have little to no interest in that kind of stuff. 

I'd thought about doing some data collection by looking at what is being shown in one of the upcoming months on TCM and seeing how many of those same films are available on FilmStruck. That would take some time, and I'm not sure if I'm interested enough to devote myself to the endeavor. We'll see...

I think you donate plenty of time for us already. Thanks. There are ways to see what is streaming. Roku will check for you. Also, a website called JustWatch will let you check streaming services like FilmStruck, which you could compare to TCM. I remember Criterion from my LaserDisc days, and it seemed to be for a specific group of viewers. It could be the days of movies on a disc are close to an end.

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

One of the problems with Warner Instant Archive, before it became FilmStruck 2.0, is that they just didn't have the streaming rights to most of the classics--Warner owned the broadcast-cable TV rights to most of their library right from the very Ted Turner sale, but Streaming is a new area for legal to handle, which is why TCM On Demand never lasted very long.

By the time the disk Instant Archive double-dips some of their old retail classics they've since banished to the archive in the 10's, like Fred Astaire or James Dean, they know enough to plan ahead and work out the streaming rights to the title as a part of renegotiating the DVD rights.  But for a while, seemed like you couldn't stream ANYTHING on WIA except for the public-domain stuff:  Pre-Code, Bowery Boys, Hong Kong and 70's TV.

We're definitely not at the stage where you can watch any rare studio Humphrey Bogart or Bette Davis Warner movie show up on a Thursday night the way you can with an all-day TCM festival, so until they get a lot more work done, TCM will have to resign itself to being the Last Watchable Cable Channel, even as the other premiums like Starz and Showtime all try to get their own Amazon double-paywall streaming channels.

• Like 1

This Week on FilmStruck

Director of the Week: Billy Wilder

• Sunset Boulevard (1950)
  • Ace in the Hole (1951)
  • Stalag 17 (1953)
  • The Spirit of St. Louis (1957)
  • Love in the Afternoon (1957)
  • Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
  • Some Like It Hot (1959)
  • Irma La Douce (1963)
  • Kiss Me, Stupid (1964)
  • The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970)
  • Avanti! (1972)
  • Billy Wilder Speaks (2006)

Star of the Week: Lauren Bacall

• To Have and Have Not (1944)
  • The Big Sleep (1946)
  • Dark Passage (1947)
  • Key Largo (1948)
  • Young Man with a Horn (1950)
  • Bright Leaf (1950)
  • Blood Alley (1955)
  • Designing Woman (1957)
  • Sex and the Single Girl (1964)
  • Harper (1966)
  • The Line King: The Al Hirschfeld Story (1996)
  • Dogville (2003)
  • Manderlay (2005)

All the News That's Fit to Stream

• The Front Page (1931)
  • Five Star Final (1931)
  • Blessed Event (1932)
  • Libeled Lady (1936)
  • His Girl Friday (1940)
  • Foreign Correspondent (1940)
  • Woman of the Year (1942)
  • Ace in the Hole (1951)
  • While the City Sleeps (1956)
  • Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
  • All the President's Men (1976)
  • Network (1976)
  • The Year of Living Dangerously (1982)
  • The Killing Fields (1984)

Complicated Mothers

• Stella Dallas (1937)
  • Now, Voyager (1942)
  • Mildred Pierce (1945)
  • White Heat (1949)
  • The Catered Affair (1956)
  • Gypsy (1962)

• Like 2

What will they do when they run through all their pet directors? Start over?

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:40 PM, LawrenceA said:

This Week on FilmStruck

Director of the Week: David Lean

• In Which We Serve (1942) (still have chance to see this classic)
  • Blithe Spirit (1945)
  • Brief Encounter (1945)
  • Great Expectations (1946) ) bniog stars & Maltin rate it among all-time greatest motion pictures!)
  • Oliver Twist (1948)
  • The Passionate Friends (1949)
  • Madeleine (1950)
  • The Sound Barrier (1952)
  • Hobson's Choice (1954)
  • Summertime (1955)-(***1/2 as all know among *Kate's record (then)all 12 nominatiojns)
  • The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)-(Also a superb WW2 pic. Though more HOLLYWOOD then reality)
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962)-(WHAT IS THERE TO SAY???)
  • Doctor Zhivago (1965)-(SUPERB ON EVERY LEVEL! But, by a hair I prefer
  • Ryan's Daughter (1970)-(Honorabe Irish mention here, a fine picture, where *J. Mills took home a s. actor *Oscar) (***)-(TRIVIA: Winona Ryder once was so influenced by the Sara Miles pt she then wanted to be an actress!)
  • A Passage to India (1985)-(good by not great *Lean (***-out of 4_
  • Nostromo: David Lean's Impossible Dream (2017)

Star of the Week: Jean Harlow

• Red-Headed Woman (1932) (***) (Harlow almost in her prime A huge deal with the then Hayes code too)
  • Red Dust (1932)-(***1/2) (most know redone in '53 as "Mogambo" MGM)
  • Hold Your Man (1933)
  • Dinner at Eight (1933)-(along with L. Lady" arguably her A #1)
  • Bombshell (1933)-(strong 3 f of 4)
  • The Girl from Missouri (1934)
  • Reckless (1935)
  • China Seas (1935)-***)
  • Riffraff (1936)-(***) *Spence is again dynamic here a an ultra tough guy.
  • Wife vs, Secretary (1936)-(**1/2)
  • Suzy (1936)
  • Libeled Lady (1936)-(Possibly the best she was in & Mr. Osborne's candidate as one of his all-time fav. out & out comedies 4 BIG STARS!) (TRIVIA: She was truly buried in that wedding gown in '37)
  • Personal Property (1937)
  • Saratoga (1937)-(**1/2) she looked very-ill during it's shooting MGM had a stand-in later (Mary Dees) which can easily be scene

A Journey Through French Cinema

• Grand Illusion (1937)
  • Un carnet de bal (1937)
  • La Marseillaise (1938)
  • Remorques (1941)
  • Le garcon sauvage (1951)
  • The Earrings of Madame de... (1952)
  • Touchez pas au grisbi (1954)
  • Bob le flambeur (1955)
  • A Man Escaped (1956)
  • Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
  • Le trou (1960)
  • Shoot the Piano Player (1960)
  • Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962)
  • Alphaville (1965)
  • Army of Shadows (1969)
  • Les Choses De La Vie (1970)
  • Le Chat (1971)
  • My Journey Through French Cinema (2016)

LawrenceA,. is Film Struck truly taking over TCM as we know it today & for over 24yrs?

7 minutes ago, spence said:

LawrenceA,. is Film Struck truly taking over TCM as we know it today & for over 24yrs?

I don't know what you mean by "taking over TCM". Are they going to cancel TCM because of FilmStruck? No, or at least not anytime soon. 

• Like 1

LawrenceA, just got all from a valuable source from the inside & he had been talking of this eventually occurring months ago, now that FilmStruck is rising, much to my chagrin!    Source says within 4yrs TCM as we know if will be gone & also it's TCM Backlot has much to do with entire nasty debalce.

So, eventually it will just be streaming online, think that is FilmStruck. & apparently our touchstone TCM will be a thing of the past as we know it?

& I've saved all my "NP" guides since inception, even have hefty bags full. That to me was the first sign actually.

& have lots of tcm collectibles/memorabilia jazz as well An original tcm 1930's style ceramic coffee mug, not the one's now on the network though  TCM Gangster Watch & above all "SCENE-IT?" TCM TRIVIA/BOARD GAME, strangely not 1 single other on these forums also has one. I've never been able to play it, because nobody else wants to? It folds out like a board game, dvd-(mandatory), little pieces you movie around it say light checkers or chess,etc & all 4 are ro "KONG" "ROSEBUD SLED" PIANIO FROM CASABLANCA & OF COURSE RUBY RED SLIPPERS.

They even once sent me a huge free mouse-bad & a kinda' poster,etc   Among my producest items I got-(NOT FREE) was a TCM Gangster Watch, he looks ike DICK TRACY & EVEN CAME IN A CALL (Bill Cole) produced them

SEND ANYMORE QUESTION? How could I forget my most valued of all items I own, of my 135-150 movie books about a qtr are from the network      WHAT A BUMMER, HUH

1 hour ago, spence said:

TOP, tried to respond to you (#3 TIMES, but was blocked, again?) check out my reply below to LAWRENCEA, 

See below post Ijust compiled to

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

What will they do when they run through all their pet directors? Start over?

TO AYONE, please thoroughly explain what FILMSTRUCK is?

10 hours ago, spence said:

TOP, tried to respond to you (#3 TIMES, but was blocked, again?) check out my reply below to LAWRENCEA, 

Spence, not to derail this excellent thread, if you are having trouble sending messages from your account, then just keep communicating with me through the threads you start. That will suffice.

TOP< just now looking at your reply & again 4-stars!  Think I straightened it out though, for now

So many on these boards are also maybe thinking what you said weeks back, that TCM will fail to exist, thanx to FilmStruck, TCM Backlot,etc

Personally I first noticed things were up when that superb mag "NP" folded

Is it 4yrs away?

10 minutes ago, spence said:

TOP< just now looking at your reply & again 4-stars!  Think I straightened it out though, for now

So many on these boards are also maybe thinking what you said weeks back, that TCM will fail to exist, thanx to FilmStruck, TCM Backlot,etc

Personally I first noticed things were up when that superb mag "NP" folded

Is it 4yrs away?

Not sure if any time frame can be put on it. But things will change since more people are streaming and dropping cable.

15 hours ago, spence said:

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Spence, not to derail this excellent thread, if you are having trouble sending messages from your account, then just keep communicating with me through the threads you start. That will suffice.

THANX LAWRENCE, my brain & body alike are on the ropes, we were literally on the verge of EVICTION & only so these...could remolded this dumpy apt  Luck have you, at 5pm on Thursday things seemed to work out, I HOPE! Probably the worst weekend of my 53 years buddy!

1 minute ago, spence said:

THANX LAWRENCE, my brain & body alike are on the ropes, we were literally on the verge of EVICTION & only so these...could remolded this dumpy apt  Luck have you, at 5pm on Thursday things seemed to work out, I HOPE! Probably the worst weekend of my 53 years buddy!

Hope things get back to normal for you and your mum!

THANX! Only worse time for me was when paramedics rush her to the hosp & she stunningly had to stay (4) months!!!

Just now, spence said:

THANX! Only worse time for me was when paramedics rush her to the hosp & she stunningly had to stay (4) months!!!

Oh my. Thank goodness for classic movies to get your mind off those troubles.

• Like 1

Thanx again pal & my head is beyong anykind of pain! Ever since I smashed it onto my cement wall just to the left of this desk I looked like *"ROCKY!"  & ma's on a walker, No friends anymore, buried family,etc

This Week on FilmStruck

Director of the Week: John Huston

• The Maltese Falcon (1941)
  • In This Our Life (1942)
  • Across the Pacific (1942)
  • Let There Be Light (1946)
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
  • Key Largo (1948)
  • The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
  • Night of the Iguana (1964)
  • Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)
  • The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
  • Wise Blood (1979)
  • Under the Volcano (1984)

Star of the Week: Danny Kaye

• Up in Arms (1944)
  • Wonder Man (1945)
  • The Kid from Brooklyn (1946)
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
  • A Song is Born (1948)
  • The Inspector General (1949)
  • Hans Christian Andersen (1952)
  • Merry Andrew (1958)

Colonialism and Its Consequences

• The Battle of Algiers (1966)
  • Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)
  • Conduct Unbecoming (1975)
  • A Passage to India (1984)
  • Indochine (1992)
  • Tabu (2012)

Cinema Passport: West Africa

• Black Girl (1966)
  • Touki Bouki (1973)
  • Xala (1975)
  • Yeelen (1987)
  • Hyenas (1992)
  • Guelwaar (1993)
  • Kabala (2002)
  • La Nuit de la Verite (2004)
  • Reves de poussiere (2006)
  • Mother of George (2013)
  • Sembene! (2015)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to say it annoys me their choice of directors seems confined to auteurs. 

It would be nice for them to focus on a studio workman director for once (W.S. Van Dyke, Richard Thorpe, Robert Z. Leonard-- those types who were under contract for years at MGM). Or to shine the spotlight on a poverty row director like Edgar Ulmer.

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

This Week on FilmStruck

Director of the Week: John Huston

• The Maltese Falcon (1941)
  • In This Our Life (1942)
  • Across the Pacific (1942)
  • Let There Be Light (1946)
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)
  • Key Largo (1948)
  • The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
  • Night of the Iguana (1964)
  • Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)
  • Wise Blood (1979)
  • Under the Volcano (1984)

Star of the Week: Danny Kaye

• Up in Arms (1944)
  • Wonder Man (1945)
  • The Kid from Brooklyn (1946)
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947)
  • A Song is Born (1948)
  • The Inspector General (1949)
  • Hans Christian Andersen (1952)
  • Merry Andrew (1958)

Colonialism and Its Consequences

• The Battle of Algiers (1966)
  • Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)
  • Conduct Unbecoming (1975)
  • A Passage to India (1984)
  • Indochine (1992)
  • Tabu (2012)

Cinema Passport: West Africa

• Black Girl (1966)
  • Touki Bouki (1973)
  • Xala (1975)
  • Yeelen (1987)
  • Hyenas (1992)
  • Guelwaar (1993)
  • Kabala (2002)
  • La Nuit de la Verite (2004)
  • Reves de poussiere (2006)
  • Mother of George (2013)
  • Sembene! (2015)

THANX AGAIN!   I really miss a couple mags I had subs to :Premiere" "NP" & "Films of the Golden Age"0(ike all other cinema mediums, they also conducted it's own favs survey, obviously in response to AFI's 1998 one)

(P.S. Did you ever see from my ever growing files "CI"/"FOGA" top 25 lists?