CinemaInternational

The FilmStruck Thread

154 posts in this topic

This Week On FilmStruck

 

Director of the Week: Lina Wertmuller

  • The Seduction of Mimi (1972)
  • Love & Anarchy (1973)
  • All Screwed Up (1974)
  • Swept Away (1974)
  • Seven Beauties (1975)
  • Ferdinando & Carolina (1999)
  • Behind the White Glasses (2015)

 

Star of the Week: Joan Crawford

  • The Unknown (1927)
  • West Point (1928)
  • Across to Singapore (1928)
  • Our Dancing Daughters (1928)
  • Our Modern Maidens (1929)
  • Possessed (1931)
  • Grand Hotel (1932)
  • Sadie McKee (1934)
  • The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (1937)
  • Mannequin (1937)
  • The Women (1939)
  • Strange Cargo (1940)
  • A Woman's Face (1941)
  • Above Suspicion (1943)
  • Mildred Pierce (1945)
  • Humoresque (1946)
  • Possessed (1947)
  • Flamingo Road (1949)
  • The Damned Don't Cry (1950)
  • What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
  • Trog (1970)

 

Peter Sellers Before Clouseau

  • The Smallest Show On Earth (1957)
  • I'm All Right Jack (1959)
  • The Battle of the Sexes (1960)
  • Two-Way Stretch (1960)
  • Carlton-Browne of the F.O. (1960)
  • Lolita (1962)
  • The Wrong Arm of the Law (1962)
  • Heavens Above! (1963)

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Many people using this message board know a lot more about classic movies than I do. I was born in the late 1950s. That said, I don't recognize many of the titles listed here. On the other hand, I've seen a number of TCM's favorites over and over. So, maybe this FilmStruck is a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Week on FilmStruck

 

Director of the Week: Darren Aronofsky

  • Pi (1998)
  • Requiem for a Dream (2000)
  • The Fountain (2006)

 

Star of the Week: Gene Kelly

  • For Me and My Gal (1942)
  • Thousands Cheer (1943)
  • The Cross of Lorraine (1943)
  • Anchors Aweigh (1945)
  • The Pirate (1948)
  • The Three Musketeers (1948)
  • Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949)
  • On the Town (1949)
  • Black Hand (1950)
  • Summer Stock (1950)
  • An American in Paris (1951)
  • Singin' in the Rain (1952)
  • Brigadoon (1954)
  • It's Always Fair Weather (1955)
  • Invitation to the Dance (1956)
  • Les Girls (1957)
  • The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967)

 

Brothers: Stories of Love and Rivalry

  • Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
  • East of Eden (1955)
  • Shoot the Piano Player (1960)
  • The King of Marvin Gardens (1972)
  • My Brother's Wedding (1983)
  • Ran (1985)
  • Rain Man (1988)

Written by Robert Benton

  • Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
  • What's Up, Doc? (1972)
  • The Late Show (1977)
  • Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

Celebrating Pride Month: Dressing the Part

  • Some Like It Hot (1959)
  • Female Trouble (1975)
  • Outrageous! (1977)
  • Victor/Victoria (1982)
  • Torch Song Trilogy (1988)
  • Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of their Stars of the Week are people who had substantial careers at MGM or Warner Brothers. They're not really featuring stars from RKO, Monogram or UA; and they have those access to those titles in the library Turner acquired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Victor/Victoria, my favorite, is on both FilmStruck and TCM in June. Is that by chance a coincidence, or having access to the title?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Victor/Victoria, my favorite, is on both FilmStruck and TCM in June. Is that by chance a coincidence, or having access to the title?

If you mean does FS have access to it, MGM/UA's V/V has been "banished" to Warner Archive for quite a while now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Victor/Victoria, my favorite, is on both FilmStruck and TCM in June. Is that by chance a coincidence, or having access to the title?

It's an MGM title in the Turner/TCM library. Meaning they can schedule it pretty much any time they like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Week on FilmStruck

Director of the Week: Lewis Milestone

  • Two Arabian Knights (1927)
  • The Racket (1928)
  • The Front Page (1931)
  • Of Mice and Men (1939)
  • Lucky Partners (1940)
  • Edge of Darkness (1943)
  • The North Star (1943)
  • A Walk in the Sun (1946)
  • The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)
  • Ocean's 11 (1960)
  • Mutiny On the Bounty (1962)

Star of the Week: Liza Minelli

  • The Sterile Cuckoo (1969)
  • Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon (1970)
  • Cabaret (1972)
  • Arthur (1981)
  • Stepping Out (1991)
  • Private Screenings: Liza Minelli (2010)

The Cinema of Straub & Huillet

  • Not Reconciled (1965)
  • Chronicle of Anna Magdalena Bach (1968)
  • The Bridegroom, the Comedienne and the Pimp (1968)
  • Eyes Do Not Want to Close at All Times... (1970)
  • Moses und Aron (1975)
  • En rachachant (1982)
  • La madre (2012)

Written by Tennessee Williams

  • A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
  • Baby Doll (1956)
  • Cat On a Hot Tin Roof (1958)
  • The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961)
  • Sweet Bird of Youth (1962)
  • Period of Adjustment (1962)
  • The Night of the Iguana (1964)

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2018 at 2:59 PM, jimmymac71 said:

Victor/Victoria, my favorite, is on both FilmStruck and TCM in June. Is that by chance a coincidence, or having access to the title?

No, I don't believe this is by chance. Over the last few years I have noticed more parallels between what is being released by the Criterion Collection and being screened by Janus Films and what airs on TCM.

When the Criterion Collection released the restored Apu Trilogy on 11/15/2015,  TCM showed the whole trilogy on 11/30/15. TCM then aired Jalsaghar (The Music Room) and the Satyajit Ray documentary by Shyam Benegal right afterwards. Both of those were on an earlier Criterion release. 

This year, Criterion is releasing the long awaited Marlene Dietrich & Josef Von Sternberg box set. TCM showed most of the movies in that box set during SoTM. I managed to see a few of those for the first time.

There are others I am sure, but those stick out to me in my memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Week on FilmStruck

 

Director of the Week: Derek Jarman

  • Sebastiane (1976)
  • Jubilee (1979)
  • The Tempest (1979)
  • Caravaggio (1986)
  • The Last of England (1988)
  • War Requiem (1989)
  • Edward II (1991)
  • Wittgenstein (1993)
  • Blue (1993)
  • Derek (2008)

Star of the Week: Greta Garbo

  • Torrent (1926)
  • The Temptress (1926)
  • Flesh and the Devil (1926)
  • Love (1927)
  • The Mysterious Lady (1928)
  • A Woman of Affairs (1928)
  • The Kiss (1929)
  • Anna Christie (1930)
  • Mata Hari (1932)
  • Grand Hotel (1932)
  • Queen Christina (1933)
  • Anna Karenina (1935)
  • Camille (1937)
  • Ninotchka (1939)

Fathers and Sons

  • The Champ (1931)
  • Life with Father (1947)
  • Bicycle Thieves (1948)
  • Floating Weeds (1959)
  • I Never Sang for My Father (1970)
  • Kramer vs Kramer (1979)
  • Running on Empty (1988)
  • A Simple Curve (2005)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Fathers and Sons

  • The Champ (1931)
  • Life with Father (1947)
  • Bicycle Thieves (1948)
  • Floating Weeds (1959)
  • I Never Sang for My Father (1970)
  • Kramer vs Kramer (1979)
  • Running on Empty (1988)
  • A Simple Curve (2005)

Surprised there isn't one Andy Hardy film included. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 11:09 AM, LawrenceA said:

 

  • Torrent (1926)
  • I Never Sang for My Father (1970)

 

Have been wanting to see these two for sometime now... Looks like now is the chance.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2018 at 1:16 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Have been wanting to see these two for sometime now... Looks like now is the chance.

I NEVER SANG FOR MY FATHER is really well done. I think Melvyn Douglas should have had an Oscar for his performance. (He lost to George C. Scott that year.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Week on FilmStruck

 

Director of the Week: Takeshi Kitano

  • Violent Cop (1989)
  • Boiling Point (1990)
  • Sonatine (1993)
  • Fireworks (1997)

 

Star of the Week: Natalie Wood

  • The Star (1953)
  • Rebel without a Cause (1955)
  • The Searchers (1956)
  • The Burning Hills (1956)
  • Cash McCall (1960)
  • Splendor in the Grass (1961)
  • Gypsy (1962)
  • Sex and the Single Girl (1964)
  • The Great Race (1965)
  • Inside Daisy Clover (1965)
  • Penelope (1966)
  • Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)
  • Brainstorm (1983)

 

Occupation, Collaboration and Resistance

  • Casablanca (1942)
  • Edge of Darkness (1943)
  • Rome, Open City (1945)
  • A Man Escaped (1956)
  • Ashes and Diamonds (1958)
  • La Grande Vadrouille (1966)
  • Army of Shadows (1969)
  • The Sorrow and the Pity (1969)
  • Lacombe, Lucien (1974)
  • The Last Metro (1980)
  • Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987)
  • Paradise (2016)

 

The Marvelous Miss Marple

  • Murder She Said (1961)
  • Murder at the Gallop (1963)
  • Murder Most Foul (1964)
  • Murder Ahoy (1964)
  • The Mirror Crack'd (1980)

 

Classics of Lesbian Cinema

  • The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972)
  • Je tu il elle (1975)
  • Lianna (1983)
  • Desert Hearts (1985)
  • Paris Was a Woman (1995)
  • The Watermelon Woman (1996)
  • Aimee and Jaguar (1999)
  • Set Me Free (1999)
  • Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

This Week on FilmStruck

 

Director of the Week: Takeshi Kitano

  • Violent Cop (1989)
  • Boiling Point (1990)
  • Sonatine (1993)
  • Fireworks (1997)

 

Star of the Week: Natalie Wood

  • The Star (1953)
  • Rebel without a Cause (1955)
  • The Searchers (1956)
  • The Burning Hills (1956)
  • Cash McCall (1960)
  • Splendor in the Grass (1961)
  • Gypsy (1962)
  • Sex and the Single Girl (1964)
  • The Great Race (1965)
  • Inside Daisy Clover (1965)
  • Penelope (1966)
  • Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice (1969)
  • Brainstorm (1983)

 

Occupation, Collaboration and Resistance

  • Casablanca (1942)
  • Edge of Darkness (1943)
  • Rome, Open City (1945)
  • A Man Escaped (1956)
  • Ashes and Diamonds (1958)
  • La Grande Vadrouille (1966)
  • Army of Shadows (1969)
  • The Sorrow and the Pity (1969)
  • Lacombe, Lucien (1974)
  • The Last Metro (1980)
  • Au Revoir Les Enfants (1987)
  • Paradise (2016)

 

The Marvelous Miss Marple

  • Murder She Said (1961)
  • Murder at the Gallop (1963)
  • Murder Most Foul (1964)
  • Murder Ahoy (1964)
  • The Mirror Crack'd (1980)

 

Classics of Lesbian Cinema

  • The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972)
  • Je tu il elle (1975)
  • Lianna (1983)
  • Desert Hearts (1985)
  • Paris Was a Woman (1995)
  • The Watermelon Woman (1996)
  • Aimee and Jaguar (1999)
  • Set Me Free (1999)
  • Blue is the Warmest Color (2013)

 

LawrenceA, thanx for the tip of NATALIE!  However, please explain in detail exactly what this section is & what it's all about? I'm well aware of tcm's new Film Struck, but you folks broke things down a bit & need to know why ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now going over it a bit I think I get it, but please make it very clear?

 

Like THIS WEEK ON "STAR OF THE WEEK?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, spence said:

Now going over it a bit I think I get it, but please make it very clear?

 

Like THIS WEEK ON "STAR OF THE WEEK?"

Each week, FilmStruck compiles playlists of movies available to stream via the service under several categories: each week has a director of the week and a star of the week, plus there will be between 1 and 4 playlists categorized by either country of origin, or similar themes, or series, such as this week's Miss Marple movies. 

For example, this week's Star of the Week is Natalie Wood. If you click on that banner, it will take you to a list of films available to stream featuring that star. Those are the movies that I listed above. 

Now, not to confuse you, but just because these movies are included in the star of the week or director of the week lists, that does not mean that they are only available for a week. Most movies that are added are available for at least a couple of months. If they have a limited duration, the expiration date is listed on each film's page. So while next week there will be a new star of the week, the Natalie Wood movies will still be available to watch, just as last week's Greta Garbo movies are still available. 

I hope that explains it a little better. If not, here's the Natalie Wood banner as a consolation prize:

Carousel.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the Natalie Wood banner!

Sort of like how we keep track of TCM's Star of the Month honorees and Summer Under the Stars honorees, I think we might want to keep a running record of which stars become Star of the Week on FilmStruck. It will be interesting to see which one gets repeated first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Each week, FilmStruck compiles playlists of movies available to stream via the service under several categories: each week has a director of the week and a star of the week, plus there will be between 1 and 4 playlists categorized by either country of origin, or similar themes, or series, such as this week's Miss Marple movies. 

For example, this week's Star of the Week is Natalie Wood. If you click on that banner, it will take you to a list of films available to stream featuring that star. Those are the movies that I listed above. 

Now, not to confuse you, but just because these movies are included in the star of the week or director of the week lists, that does not mean that they are only available for a week. Most movies that are added are available for at least a couple of months. If they have a limited duration, the expiration date is listed on each film's page. So while next week there will be a new star of the week, the Natalie Wood movies will still be available to watch, just as last week's Greta Garbo movies are still available. 

I hope that explains it a little better. If not, here's the Natalie Wood banner as a consolation prize:

Carousel.jpg

THANK YOU KUDOS & ALL FOR THE SHOT OF HER FRIEND!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I told a longtime online pal o';mine (Cliff Aliperti of thingsandotherstuff & other neat sites) that you folks thought that eventually our beloved TCM would go be the wayside & that Film Struck may take over, plus in connection with the camp I belong to TCM Backlot.  He nixed the entire idea though?  WHO KNOWS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Week on FilmStruck

Carousel.jpg

  • The Squall (1929)
  • Marius (1931)
  • Wedding Rehearsal (1932)
  • The Private Life of Henry VIII (1933)
  • The Private Life of Don Juan (1934)
  • Sanders of the River (1935)
  • Rembrandt (1936)
  • Forget Me Not (1936)
  • Conquest of the Air (1936)
  • Elephant Boy (1937)
  • The Drum (1938)
  • The Four Feathers (1939)
  • That Hamilton Woman (1941)
  • Jungle Book (1942)
  • Vacation from Marriage (1945)
  • An Ideal Husband (1947)
  • Bonnie Prince Charlie (1948)

 

Carousel.jpg

  • The Public Enemy (1931)
  • Blonde Crazy (1931)
  • Picture Snatcher (1933)
  • The Mayor of Hell (1933)
  • Footlight Parade (1933)
  • Lady Killer (1933)
  • Jimmy the Gent (1934)
  • 'G' Men (1935)
  • Each Dawn I Die (1939)
  • The Roaring Twenties (1939)
  • The Fighting 69th (1940)
  • Torrid Zone (1940)
  • City for Conquest (1940)
  • The Strawberry Blonde (1941)
  • The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941)
  • Captains of the Clouds (1942)
  • Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
  • White Heat (1949)
  • A Lion Is in the Streets (1953)
  • Love Me or Leave Me (1955)
  • Mister Roberts (1955)
  • Tribute to a Bad Man (1956)

 

Carousel.jpg

  • La Terra Trema (1948)
  • Mafioso (1962)
  • Divorce Italian Style (1962)
  • Salvatore Giuliano (1962)
  • The Seduction of Mimi (1962)
  • Kaos (1984)
  • Salvo (2013)

 

Carousel.jpg

  • Crisis (1946)
  • Port of Call (1948)
  • Thirst (1949)
  • To Joy (1950)
  • Summer Interlude (1951)
  • Secrets of a Woman (1952)
  • Summer with Monika (1953)
  • Sawdust & Tinsel (1953)
  • A Lesson in Love (1954)
  • Dreams (1955)
  • Smiles of a Summer Night (1955)
  • The Seventh Seal (1957)
  • Wild Strawberries (1957)
  • The Magician (1958)
  • The Devil's Eye (1960)
  • The Virgin Spring (1960)
  • Through a Glass Darkly (1961)
  • Winter Light (1962)
  • The Silence (1963)
  • All These Women (1964)
  • Persona (1966)
  • Hour of the Wolf (1968)
  • Shame (1968)
  • The Rite (1969)
  • The Passion of Anna (1969)
  • Cries & Whispers (1972)
  • Scenes from a Marriage (1973)
  • The Magic Flute (1975)
  • Autumn Sonata (1978)
  • Faro Document 1979 (1980)
  • From the Life of the Marionettes (1980)
  • Fanny & Alexander (1982)
  • Bergman Island (2006)
  • Liv & Ingmar (2012)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

It says "Only On FilmStruck" for Yankee Doodle Dandy, on their website. Funny, it will play here on TCM, on 7/4, just as it is suppose to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

It says "Only On FilmStruck" for Yankee Doodle Dandy, on their website. Funny, it will play here on TCM, on 7/4, just as it is suppose to.

They are most likely referring to streaming services.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Week on FilmStruck

 

Carousel.jpg

  • Mammy Water (1953)
  • Les maitres fou/The Mad Masters (1955)
  • Moi, Un Noir (1958)
  • The Human Pyramid (1961)
  • Chronicles of a Summer (1961)
  • La Puntion (1962)
  • La Chasse au Lion a l'arc (1965)
  • Jaguar (1967)
  • Petit a petit (1970)

 

Carousel.jpg

  • Stagecoach (1939)
  • The Long Voyage Home (1940)
  • Back to Bataan (1945)
  • Without Reservations (1946)
  • 3 Godfathers (1949)
  • She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)
  • Operation Pacific (1951)
  • Flying Leathernecks (1951)
  • Big Jim McLain (1952)
  • Trouble Along the Way (1953)
  • Blood Alley (1955)
  • The Searchers (1956)
  • The Wings of Eagles (1957)
  • Rio Bravo (1959)
  • How the West Was Won (1962)
  • The Green Berets (1968)
  • The Cowboys (1972)
  • The Train Robbers (1973)
  • McQ (1974)

 

Carousel.jpg

  • Excalibur (1981)
  • Clash of the Titans (1981)

 

Carousel.jpg

  • The Black Stallion (1979)
  • Being There (1979)
  • Let's Spend the Night Together (1983)
  • The Right Stuff (1983)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:
  • Excalibur (1981)
  • Clash of the Titans (1981)

...TWO "80's Fantasies" is a "theme", Warner/MGM?  

Dug up the poster from "Innerspace" but couldn't even decently squeeze out The Neverending Story for a third?  No MGM-owned Cannon Pictures Masters of the Universe?

(Although, to be fair, most of the true 80's Fantasy Summer-of-Love are either Sony, like "Krull", "Ghostbusters" or  "The Dark Crystal", Paramount like "Dragonslayer" or "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and almost everything else Spielberg was from Universal.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us