CinemaInternational

The FilmStruck Thread

153 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, but I decided to drop the updates, since people with FimStruck already know them, and people who don't, don't care. :lol:

Oddly enough, since I've stopped updating this thread, I've watched many more movies on FilmStruck. The two aren't connected, I've just acquired a better way of viewing the service on my largest TV.

Thanks for the reply. I liked checking the thread for the updates, as it gave us a running history of what had been added. The Michael Crichton collection seems new.

How are you viewing FilmStruck now on your large TV? What is the better way to view the service?

18 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for the reply. I liked checking the thread for the updates, as it gave us a running history of what had been added. The Michael Crichton collection seems new.

How are you viewing FilmStruck now on your large TV? What is the better way to view the service?

Via an Amazon Fire TV hook-up and the FilmStruck app available on there. I had an Amazon Fire TV stick on another TV, but they are a little weaker, and I had a lot of buffering issues. Now with the stronger Fire TV "square", as well as it being in the same room as the WiFi, the signal strength is stronger, and I haven't had a single buffering issue or other hiccup.

BTW, I can continue the FilmStruck theme updates if you think it's worthwhile to.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Via an Amazon Fire TV hook-up and the FilmStruck app available on there. I had an Amazon Fire TV stick on another TV, but they are a little weaker, and I had a lot of buffering issues. Now with the stronger Fire TV "square", as well as it being in the same room as the WiFi, the signal strength is stronger, and I haven't had a single buffering issue or other hiccup.

Thanks for the technology-related info.

If it's alright with you I will continue to post what's being added, because then we have an ongoing record. In the same way we chart TCM Stars of the Month and Summer Under the Stars honorees, I'd like us to have a continuing record of which actors, directors and writers are being honored on FilmStruck.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

BTW, I can continue the FilmStruck theme updates if you think it's worthwhile to.

I see you just added on to your earlier post. Yes, if you want to keep doing those, it would be most appreciated. I think 11 new collections were added since August 3. Do you want to go ahead and do those? If it's too much effort, I can help get caught up then you can resume with the next ones. Let me know.

Just now, TopBilled said:

I see you just added on to your earlier post. Yes, if you want to keep doing those, it would be most appreciated. I think 11 new collections were added since August 3. Do you want to go ahead and do those? If it's too much effort, I can help get caught up then you can resume with the next ones. Let me know.

No, please, you can take over now and continue on. I would appreciate it.

36 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

No, please, you can take over now and continue on. I would appreciate it.

Okay. Then I'll do them. I am going to use smaller pictures and probably organize the info a bit differently. I will not include foreign films, just classic Hollywood from 1930-1959.

Check back...

Added August 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 10.33.09 AM.png 

HIGHER AND HIGHER (1943) with Michele Morgan / musical comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
STEP LIVELY (1944) with George Murphy / musical comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
ANCHORS AWEIGH (1945) with Gene Kelly / musical / MGM / expires 29th of November
TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY (1946) with Van Johnson / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December
IT HAPPENED IN BROOKLYN (1947) with Peter Lawford / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December
TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME (1949) with Betty Garrett / musical / MGM / expires 25th of October
ON THE TOWN (1949) with Betty Garrett / musical / MGM / expires 18th of October
SUDDENLY (1954) with Sterling Hayden / drama / UA / expires 31st of January
THE TENDER TRAP (1955) with Debbie Reynolds / comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
GUYS AND DOLLS (1955) with Vivian Blaine / musical / UA / expires 25th of October
HIGH SOCIETY (1956) with Celeste Holm / musical comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1956) with Eleanor Parker / drama / UA / expires 31st of January
SOME CAME RUNNING (1958) with Dean Martin / drama / MGM / expires 6th of September

• Like 1

Added August 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 10.33.29 AM.png 

THE PUBLIC ENEMY (1931) with James Cagney / crime / WB / expires 7th of February
NIGHT NURSE (1931) with Barbara Stanwyck / crime / WB / expires 7th of February
SAFE IN HELL (1931) with Dorothy Mackaill / crime / WB / expires 7th of February
SO BIG (1932) with Barbara Stanwyck / drama / WB / expires 7th of February
THE PURCHASE PRICE (1932) with Barbara Stanwyck / drama / WB / expires 7th of February
FRISCO JENNY (1932) with Ruth Chatterton / drama / WB / expires 7th of February
LILLY TURNER (1933) with Ruth Chatterton / drama / WB / expires 7th of February
MIDNIGHT MARY (1933) with Loretta Young / drama / MGM / expires 7th of February
HEROES FOR SALE (1933) with Loretta Young / drama / WB / expires 7th of February
WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD (1933) with Frankie Darro / drama / WB / expires 7th of February
STINGAREE (1934) with Irene Dunne / romance / RKO / expires 7th of February
SMALL TOWN GIRL (1936) with Janet Gaynor / drama / MGM / expires 7th of February
A STAR IS BORN (1937) with Janet Gaynor / drama / UA / expires 7th of February
NOTHING SACRED (1937) with Carole Lombard / comedy / UA / expires 7th of February
THIS MAN'S NAVY (1945) with Wallace Beery / war / MGM / expires 7th of February
BATTLEGROUND (1949) with Ricardo Montalban / war / MGM / expires 7th of February
THE HAPPY YEARS (1950) with Dean Stockwell / comedy drama / MGM / expires 7th of February
WESTWARD THE WOMEN (1951) with Robert Taylor / western / MGM / expires 7th of February
BLOOD ALLEY (1955) with John Wayne / adventure / WB / expires 8th of November
DARBY'S RANGERS (1958) with James Garner / war / WB / expires 7th of February

Added August 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 10.34.23 AM.png 

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937) with Ronald Colman / adventure / UA / expires 27th of December
THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK (1939) with Louis Hayward / adventure / UA / expires 21st of February
THE GREAT DICTATOR (1940) with Charlie Chaplin / comedy / UA / expires 21st of February
THE CORSICAN BROTHERS (1941) with Douglas Fairbanks Jr / adventure / UA / expires 21st of February
WONDER MAN (1945) with Danny Kaye / comedy / RKO / expires 15th of November
A STOLEN LIFE (1946) with Bette Davis / drama / WB / expires 27th of December

Added August 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 10.34.09 AM.png 

SYLVIA SCARLETT (1935) with Katharine Hepburn / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
BRINGING UP BABY (1938) with Katharine Hepburn / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
GUNGA DIN (1939) with Douglas Fairbanks Jr / adventure / RKO / expires 27th of December
MY FAVORITE WIFE (1940) with Irene Dunne / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
THE PHILADELPHIA STORY (1940) with Katharine Hepburn / comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
SUSPICION (1941) with Joan Fontaine / crime / RKO / expires 27th of December
MR. LUCKY (1943) with Laraine Day / romance / RKO / expires 27th of December
DESTINATION TOKYO (1943) with John Garfield / war / WB / expires 27th of December
ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944) with Priscilla Lane / comedy / WB / expires 27th of December
THE BISHOP'S WIFE (1947) with Loretta Young / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBY-SOXER (1947) with Shirley Temple / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948) with Myrna Loy / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959) with Eva Marie Saint / crime / MGM / expires 27th of December

• Thanks 1

Added August 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 10.33.38 AM.png 

ZIEGFELD GIRL (1941) with James Stewart / romance / MGM / expires 27th of December
DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1941) with Spencer Tracy / horror / MGM / expires 27th of December
HONKYTONK (1941) with Clark Gable / western / MGM / expires 27th of December
JOHNNY EAGER (1942) with Robert Taylor / crime / MGM / expires 27th of December
SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS (1943) with Robert Young / comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY (1945) with Laraine Day / war / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1946) with John Garfield / crime / MGM / expires 27th of December
GREEN DOLPHIN STREET (1947) with Van Heflin / romance / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1948) with Gene Kelly / adventure / MGM / expires 29th of November
THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL (1952) with Kirk Douglas / drama / MGM / expires 6th of September

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, LawrenceA said:

This week on FilmStruck

Carousel.jpg

• Our Time (1974)
  • Capricorn One (1978)
  • Outland (1981)
  • 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984)
  • Running Scared (1986)

Carousel.jpg

• The Seventh Seal (1957)
  • Wild Strawberries (1957)
  • The Magician (1958)
  • The Virgin Spring (1960)
  • Through a Glass Darkly (1961)
  • Hour of the Wolf (1968)
  • Shame (1968)
  • The Passion of Anna (1969)
  • The Emigrants (1971)
  • The New Land (1972)
  • The Exorcist (1973)
  • Strange Brew (1983)
  • Dreamscape (1984)
  • Pelle the Conqueror (1987)
  • Europa (1991)
  • The Best Intentions (1992)
  • Hamsun (1996)

Carousel.jpg

• Olympia (1938)
  • Munchausen (1943)
  • Titanic (1943)
  • The Wonderful, Horrible Life of Leni Riefenstahl (1993)
  • Harlan: In the Shadow of Jew Suss (2008)
  • Hitler's Hollywood (2017)

Carousel.jpg

• A Clockwork Orange (1971)
  • Overlord (1975)
  • Barry Lyndon (1975)
  • Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984)

THE *KUBICK STARE

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Added August 2018:

HIGHER AND HIGHER (1943) with Michele Morgan / musical comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
STEP LIVELY (1944) with George Murphy / musical comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
ANCHORS AWEIGH (1945) with Gene Kelly / musical / MGM / expires 29th of November
TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY (1946) with Van Johnson / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December
IT HAPPENED IN BROOKLYN (1947) with Peter Lawford / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December
TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME (1949) with Betty Garrett / musical / MGM / expires 25th of October
THE TENDER TRAP (1955) with Debbie Reynolds / comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
GUYS AND DOLLS (1955) with Vivian Blaine / musical / UA / expires 25th of October
HIGH SOCIETY (1956) with Celeste Holm / musical comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1956) with Eleanor Parker / drama / UA / expires 31st of January
SOME CAME RUNNING (1958) with Dean Martin / drama / MGM / expires 6th of September

Although he is my runner-up" Hero & Idol I'm not as much a fan of early *SINATRA.  His own favorite of his (58) pictures was also mine "SOME CAME RUNNING"

Just now, spence said:

Although he is my runner-up" Hero & Idol I'm not as much a fan of early *SINATRA.  His own favorite of his (58) pictures was also mine "SOME CAME RUNNING"

I enjoy watching SOME CAME RUNNING too. I think it's very well made.

His earlier stuff from the 40s is a little hit or miss. Though I do like THE MIRACLE OF THE BELLS (1948) where he has a supporting role as a priest.

6 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Can I watch FilmStruck on my desktop computer or do I need some special device?  Thanks.

Yes, you can watch on your laptop or desktop PC. I started out watching it on my laptop before using the app on Amazon Fire. 

There used to be a lot of issues with image freezing and the sound falling out of sync, but they changed their video player a few months back, and I had not problems after that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I have had Filmstruck since this Spring and never had any problems with it. Nothing else needed to watch on PC but it does use adobe flash player (?) .... lots of devices if you want to watch on smart TV and download the app.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FilmSnob said:

Yeah, I have had Filmstruck since this Spring and never had any problems with it. Nothing else needed to watch on PC but it does use adobe flash player (?) .... lots of devices if you want to watch on smart TV and download the app.

Since I've been waiting in vain for that promised Playstation 4 app (maybe it's problems with Sony, or Sony or FS have given up on any further device apps, either way it ain't coming), I tried shopping around for whether to get a two-figure Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire or Google Stick, just to plug in for watching Filmstruck.   

Problem is, from most of the Amazon reviews, the living-room devices seem to be horrible at downloading the movies for plug-ins or smart TV--I could go out and get a new built-in Amazon-enabled 4K Smart TV, they're cheap enough by now, but I don't have a 4K UHD player yet, and you'll only pry my old 3DTV out of my cold dead living-room.  B)

So, I'm left back where I started, namely that the only thing I have that will play FS properly is my iPad tablet, which is what I was trying to get away from in the first place.  Oh well, that just brings it down to whether I want one more subscription, and I'm too busy trying to finish off the last of my Hulu before dropping it and getting to work on dropping Netflix.

42 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Since I've been waiting in vain for that promised Playstation 4 app (maybe it's problems with Sony, or Sony or FS have given up on any further device apps, either way it ain't coming), I tried shopping around for whether to get a two-figure Roku, AppleTV, Amazon Fire or Google Stick, just to plug in for watching Filmstruck.   

Problem is, from most of the Amazon reviews, the living-room devices seem to be horrible at downloading the movies for plug-ins or smart TV--I could go out and get a new built-in Amazon-enabled 4K Smart TV, they're cheap enough by now, but I don't have a 4K UHD player yet, and you'll only pry my old 3DTV out of my cold dead living-room.  B)

So, I'm left back where I started, namely that the only thing I have that will play FS properly is my iPad tablet, which is what I was trying to get away from in the first place.  Oh well, that just brings it down to whether I want one more subscription, and I'm too busy trying to finish off the last of my Hulu before dropping it and getting to work on dropping Netflix.

If you're interested in Orson Welles' THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND, you may want to wait till after November to drop Netflix.

Added August 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 7.23.51 AM.png 

SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME (1956) with Pier Angeli / drama / MGM / expires 27th of September
THE RACK (1956) with Anne Francis / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE HELEN MORGAN STORY (1957) with Ann Blyth / musical / WB / expires 27th of December
UNTIL THEY SAIL (1957) with Piper Laurie / romance / MGM / expires 27th of December
CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF (1958) with Elizabeth Taylor / drama / MGM / expires 18th of October
THE YOUNG PHILADELPHIANS (1959) with Barbara Rush / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December

Added August 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 7.25.33 AM.png 

THE SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH (1957) with Virginia McKenna / comedy / British Lion / expires 22nd of November
I'M ALL RIGHT JACK (1959) with Ian Carmichael / comedy / British Lion / expires 22nd of November

On 8/29/2018 at 1:16 PM, TopBilled said:

Added August 2018:

Well, this got me curious as to how close this list was to the Chairman's recent SUTS day on TCM, and the answer is ... pretty close! The two lists share seven films by my count.

45 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Well, this got me curious as to how close this list was to the Chairman's recent SUTS day on TCM, and the answer is ... pretty close! The two lists share seven films by my count.

Good news for folks who missed Frankie's big day on the 1st of August.