CinemaInternational

The FilmStruck Thread

153 posts in this topic

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 11.13.52 AM.jpg 

BILLY LIAR (1963) with Tom Courtenay / comedy-drama / Warner-Pathe / expires 7th of March
YOUNG CASSIDY (1965) with Rod Taylor / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December

DARLING (1965) with Dirk Bogarde / drama / Embassy Pictures / expires 7th of March
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (1965) with Omar Sharif / romance / MGM / expires 27th of December
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD (1967) with Peter Finch / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
PETULIA (1968) with George C. Scott / drama / WB / expires 8th of November
MCCABE & MRS. MILLER (1971) with Warren Beatty / western / WB / expires 27th of December
DEMON SEED (1977) with Fritz Weaver / horror / UA / expires 27th of December
HAMLET (1996) with Kenneth Branagh / drama / Columbia / expires 27th of December

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 11.13.59 AM.jpg 

THE MERRY WIDOW (1934) with Jeanette MacDonald / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December
NINOTCHKA (1939) with Greta Garbo / comedy / MGM / expires 13th of December

THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (1940) with Margaret Sullavan / romance / MGM / expires 27th of December
THAT UNCERTAIN FEELING (1941) with Merle Oberon / comedy / UA / expires 18th of April
TO BE OR NOT TO BE (1942) with Carole Lombard / comedy / UA / expires 7th of March
HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943) with Don Ameche / comedy / Fox / expires 27th of February
CLUNY BROWN (1948) with Jennifer Jones / comedy / Fox / expires 27th of February

2 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

You must have the inside track TB. I don't get my FilmStruck newsletter until 3 PM ET.

I would be interested in hearing the pros and cons to FilmStruck versus TCM.

I would be reluctant to paying for both at the same time. Maybe when the rainy season comes, I might try out FilmStruck.

Thanks for the information.

No inside track. I just happened to check the collections on FilmStruck an hour ago and noticed a few new ones had been added this morning.

I can't speak for others, but here's my view of FilmStruck's "pros" and cons":

PROS

1. You don't have to sit through intros. Some titles do have intros as an added extra, but you don't have to click on them, and can just click on the movie. Personally I think intros should be done away with, and only outros should be created, designed for when someone finishes a movie. That way there are no spoilers or no biases presented before the viewer watches the movie. My little soapbox about that.

2. Another pro is you know when a title is expiring so you can re-watch it as many times as you like during that timeframe. You don't have to worry about missing a live broadcast. It's always there waiting to be watched until the expiration date.

3. Big pro -- there are no ads. You can go right from one film to another without having to sit through endless wine promos or Backlot promos.

CONS

1. On some titles the sound seems low, so you have to dial up the volume. No idea why this happens.

2. Lawrence mentioned the titles used to freeze on him. I've never had them freeze, but sometimes they stop at the beginning during the opening credits or the first five minutes of the film (don't know why) and I have to exit, go back to the previous menu and restart the film. Key word here is sometimes, because it doesn't do that all the time. My guess is it happens if my internet connection is acting funny. I don't think it's a FilmStruck issue.

3. Another con is that FilmStruck's programming team does not seem to value B films or poverty row classics. If there's one thing I'd change about FilmStruck it would be that. I don't think film appreciation should have an inherent class prejudice. It should not just be a ritzy thing, we need to see films that had low budgets but still turned out well. It's all part of our cinematic history. Oops, second soapbox for the day!

Hope this helps. - Jarrod

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 11.13.52 AM.jpg 

BILLY LIAR (1956) with Tom Courtenay / comedy-drama / Warner-Pathe / expires 7th of March
YOUNG CASSIDY (1965) with Rod Taylor / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December

DARLING (1965) with Dirk Bogarde / drama / Embassy Pictures / expires 7th of March
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO (1965) with Omar Sharif / romance / MGM / expires 27th of December
FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD (1967) with Peter Finch / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
PETULIA (1968) with George C. Scott / drama / WB / expires 8th of November
MCCABE & MRS. MILLER (1971) with Warren Beatty / western / WB / expires 27th of December
DEMON SEED (1977) with Fritz Weaver / horror / UA / expires 27th of December
HAMLET (1996) with Kenneth Branagh / drama / Columbia / expires 27th of December

A very tiny quibble, but I did a double take on your year listing of Billy Liar, which imdb has listed as 1963. I think Julie Christie would have still been in junior high (or whatever the British equivalent is) in 1956! I feel guilty even bringing it up, since you go to all the work to post this info.

3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

A very tiny quibble, but I did a double take on your year listing of Billy Liar, which imdb has listed as 1963. I think Julie Christie would have still been in junior high (or whatever the British equivalent is) in 1956! I feel guilty even bringing it up, since you go to all the work to post this info.

Thanks. I've corrected it. If you see something like this again in the future, please private message me and I will edit it. Because now the mistake continues in the part where you quoted my error. Thanks.

Got it. Sorry, didn't think about preserving the mistake for all eternity! (Who knew I had that kind of power? It's a little intoxicating ...)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Got it. Sorry, didn't think about preserving the mistake for all eternity! (Who knew I had that kind of power? It's a little intoxicating ...)

The reason I listed it as 1956 was because I had copied and pasted a line for another movie, and I deleted the other title then inserted BILLY LIAR but forgot to adjust the year.

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

CONS

3. Another con is that FilmStruck's programming team does not seem to value B films or poverty row classics.

Well, we have Amazon Prime for that.  It's the reason I found myself watching it more and more lately.

• Like 1

Filmstruck Questions

We are considering moving to Filmstruck from TCM directly.

The TCM streaming app is no longer working on FireTV, we're considering to lower our Playstation Vue tier and picking up Filmstruck (provided it works).

Does Filmstruck use it's onwn app on FireTV or does it link to the TCM app?

Any issues with the Filmstruck app?

The TCM app is the only app we've had issues with and it's not our network (enterprise level network with both wired and wifi connections).

52 minutes ago, MRP said:

Filmstruck Questions

We are considering moving to Filmstruck from TCM directly.

The TCM streaming app is no longer working on FireTV, we're considering to lower our Playstation Vue tier and picking up Filmstruck (provided it works).

Does Filmstruck use it's onwn app on FireTV or does it link to the TCM app?

Any issues with the Filmstruck app?

The TCM app is the only app we've had issues with and it's not our network (enterprise level network with both wired and wifi connections).

The FilmStruck app on FireTV is its own thing, and not part of the TCM app. 

I've read where people have had issues with excessive buffering using the FilmStruck app, but I have not had any issues with it. I've just recently watched 20 or more movies using the FilmStruck app on FireTV, and have not had one instance of buffering, stopping and starting, or sound sync issues. I had one incident where, when the movie ended, it went to a black screen and froze, but all it took to resolve it was to unplug the FireTV device and plug it back in. I have not had any other issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2018 at 1:15 PM, LawrenceA said:

The FilmStruck app on FireTV is its own thing, and not part of the TCM app. 

I've read where people have had issues with excessive buffering using the FilmStruck app, but I have not had any issues with it. I've just recently watched 20 or more movies using the FilmStruck app on FireTV, and have not had one instance of buffering, stopping and starting, or sound sync issues. I had one incident where, when the movie ended, it went to a black screen and froze, but all it took to resolve it was to unplug the FireTV device and plug it back in. I have not had any other issues.

Thanks, we've signed up.  The app works great, the yearly price is decent.  Now we are looking into dropping some other services.  Wish we could go back to true a la carte services as we had in the days of the old satellite dishes (12').

• Like 1

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.37.38 AM.jpg 

CITIZEN KANE (1941) with Orson Welles / drama / RKO / expires 27th of December
THE COWBOY AND THE LADY (1938) with Gary Cooper / western / UA / expires 14th of March
WUTHERING HEIGHTS (1939) with Merle Oberon / romance / UA / expires 14th of March
ENCHANTMENT (1948) with David Niven / romance / RKO / expires 14th of March
BELOVED ENEMY (1936) with Merle Oberon / romance / UA / expires 14th of March
HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT (1937) with Jean Arthur / romance / UA / expires 14th of March
THE BISHOP’S WIFE (1947) with David Niven / comedy / RKO / expires 14th of March
BALL OF FIRE (1941) with Barbara Stanwyck / comedy / RKO / expires 14th of March
THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946) with Fredric March / drama / RKO / expires 14th of March
THE LITTLE FOXES (1941) with Bette Davis / drama / RKO / expires 14th of March
THESE THREE (1936) with Merle Oberon / drama / UA / expires 14th of March

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 10.37.49 AM.jpg 

THE MAN BETWEEN (1953) with James Mason / crime / British Lion / expires 14th of March
CRY TERROR! (1958) with James Mason / crime / MGM / expires 27th of December
PANDORA AND THE FLYING DUTCHMAN (1951) with James Mason / romance / MGM / expires 14th of March
THE BELLS GO DOWN (1943) with James Mason / war film / Ealing / expires 14th of March
THE SEVENTH VEIL (1944) with James Mason / drama / General Film / expires 14th of March

25 minutes ago, Hepburn Fan said:

I have a Fire TV Stick. It died and Amazon gave me a credit to buy a new one, as it was just a little bit out of warranty. Well, I cheated and used the credit for a Roku Express. Put the Fire Stick away. Tried it again later, and it worked. Once again, it has died. I think it overheats.

Got an SD card permanently logged into my Fire Tablet. Instead of sending it back, I just live with a device that no longer has an SD reader.

Two thumbs down for products with the Amazon brand. Roku always works perfectly.

I actually came here as well to say my FilmStruck email did not come.

I think Debbie Reynolds is the Star of the Week and H.C. Potter is the Director of the Week. There is also a collection of more modern films called Nordic Noir.

• Thanks 1

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 3.26.05 PM.jpg 

THE SHOPWORN ANGEL (1938) with Margaret Sullavan / romance / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE MINIVER STORY (1950) with Greer Garson / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
MR. LUCKY (1943) with Laraine Day / romance / RKO / expires 27th of December
MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE (1948) with Cary Grant / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
TOP SECRET AFFAIR (1957) with Kirk Douglas / romance / WB / expires 27th of December
THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE (1939) with Fred Astaire / musical / RKO / expires 27th of December
BELOVED ENEMY (1936) with Merle Oberon / romance / UA / expires 14th of March

THE COWBOY AND THE LADY (1938) with Gary Cooper / western / UA / expires 14th of March
THE GOLDWYN FOLLIES (1938) with Adolphe Menjou / musical / UA / expires 21st of March

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 3.27.17 PM.jpg 

SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952) with Gene Kelly / musical / MGM / expires 29th of November
TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE (1950) with Jane Powell / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December
SUSAN SLEPT HERE (1954) with Dick Powell / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
BUNDLE OF JOY (1956) with Eddie Fisher / comedy / RKO / expires 27th of December
THE MATING GAME (1959) with Tony Randall / comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE TENDER TRAP (1955) with Frank Sinatra / comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE CATERED AFFAIR (1956) with Bette Davis / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE GAZEBO (1960) with Glenn Ford / comedy / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN (1964) with Harve Presnell / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE SINGING NUN (1966) with Ricardo Montalban / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December

Just now, Hepburn Fan said:

I found some short programs on FilmStruck to watch without being a subscriber. On my Fire Tablet, the image would jump once in a while, with no break in audio, although the audio was low. Worked better on my Roku.

Some of the Debbie Reynolds movies I either don't know or don't remember. Thanks as always for doing this TB. Nice to know I can start that 14 day trial in December and watch all those movies with Debbie Reynolds.

All of them except SINGIN' IN THE RAIN which expires the end of November.

And you're welcome. It's my pleasure to update this each week!

Star of the Week is Greer Garson.

Director of the Week is Roberto Rossellini.

There are two other new collections on FilmStruck this week: Outbreaks and Taiwan.

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 12.31.25 PM.jpg 

JULIA MISBEHAVES (1948) with Walter Pidgeon / comedy / MGM / expires 18th of October
JULIUS CAESAR (1953) with Marlon Brando / drama / MGM / expires 25th of October
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (1940) with Laurence Olivier / comedy-drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
MADAME CURIE (1943) with Walter Pidgeon / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
WHEN LADIES MEET (1941) with Robert Taylor / comedy-drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
MRS. PARKINGTON (1944) with Walter Pidgeon / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
BLOSSOMS IN THE DUST (1941) with Walter Pidgeon / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
RANDOM HARVEST (1942) with Ronald Colman / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
THAT FORSYTE WOMAN (1949) with Errol Flynn / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO (1960) with Ralph Bellamy / drama / WB / expires 27th of December
THE VALLEY OF DECISION (1945) with Gregory Peck / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
MRS. MINIVER (1942) with Walter Pidgeon / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE MINIVER STORY (1950) with Walter Pidgeon / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
SCANDAL AT SCOURIE (1953) with Walter Pidgeon / drama / MGM / expires 27th of December
THE SINGING NUN (1966) with Debbie Reynolds / musical / MGM / expires 27th of December

Added September 2018:

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 12.31.40 PM.jpg 

JEZEBEL (1938) with Bette Davis / drama / WB / expires 27th of December
ISLE OF THE DEAD (1945) with Ellen Drew / horror / RKO / expires 27th of December
THINGS TO COME (1936) with Ralph Richardson / science fiction / UA / expires 28th of March

1 hour ago, Hepburn Fan said:

Don't know if it is a temporary thing, but now FilmStruck has a 30-day free trial.

Thanks...that would be a new offer. Previously it was a 14-day free trial.

I just received notice that the FilmStruck will be shutdown. The is awful news!

We regret to inform you that effective November 29, 2018, FilmStruck will be shutting down. As a subscriber currently on an annual plan, effective immediately you will receive a prorated refund for any months remaining in your subscription. You will continue to have access to the service until November 29.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for being a FilmStruck subscriber. It has been our pleasure sharing the best of indie, art house, and classic Hollywood with you. FilmStruck was truly a labor of love, and in a world with an abundance of entertainment options – THANK YOU for choosing us.

If you have any questions please visit our FAQs or email the FilmStruck customer service team at help@filmstruck.com You can also manage your account by clicking here.

• Thanks 1

I suppose now the hope would be that the TCM-type classic films may become part of the Warner Media streaming service announced for next year.  The Criterion titles unfortunately are a separate case and seem to be looking for a home again.  I feel really bad for those who have enjoyed streaming the Criterion titles.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6008-news-about-filmstruck

28 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I suppose now the hope would be that the TCM-type classic films may become part of the Warner Media streaming service announced for next year.  The Criterion titles unfortunately are a separate case and seem to be looking for a home again.  I feel really bad for those who have enjoyed streaming the Criterion titles.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6008-news-about-filmstruck

The Criterion titles used to be on Hulu, so they could easily go back there.