Sign in to follow this  
NickAndNora34

Mary Poppins Returns Teaser Trailer

14 posts in this topic

Curious to see what other people think of this teaser. I'm excited, but hesitant. I was not a fan of Disney's recent Jungle Book remake, although I did enjoy Beauty and the Beast. I think this might be a sequel, not a remake, as the second book in the Mary Poppins series has a similar title (Mary Poppins Comes Back). I will say that I noticed a few Easter eggs.

And before anyone complains "Why are they doing it??", that is LITERALLY a Very Long Story:

A Mary Poppins sequel has been one of the great deeply-rooted unkillable Ahab-quests for "New Disney" since the very day Michael Eisner took over--Back then, no one trusted the new change of leadership away from Walt's own appointed Ron Miller, there was still the image that the new corporately created films of '83 and after wouldn't be "real" Disney films, and the new regime had to create some symbolic Old Meets New stunt to show that things hadn't changed, and they were the same old Walt in a new package.  (That insecurity sort of faded after we got all those classic cameos in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?")

That meant sequelizing a Great Core Disney Classic, but get this:  Back in the mid-80's, they didn't know what Disney stories were open-ended enough to write sequels to, and could only think of three--The Rescuers, Mary Poppins, and Fantasia.  We got "The Rescuers Down Under" and "Fantasia 2000", but bringing back Mary turned out to be a little more elusive than they expected.  Everyone knew it was going to be "Mary Poppins Comes Back", from the Travers book where Mary flies back in on a kite, but as far as who was going to be the new screenwriter-invented Bert, that started to get a little more complicated.  We almost had "Me & My Girl" star Robert Lindsay stepping directly into Dick Van Dyke's Bert shoes, which would have been a much better idea in the long run than Michael Jackson as a lovable balloon-seller at the park.  :huh:

It's sort of like the Blade Runner sequel or "Tron:Legacy":   If it took them thirty head-bashing years of trying to finally get it out, we owe them that much, but that isn't necessarily a guarantee of quality.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Curious to see what other people think of this teaser. I'm excited, but hesitant. I was not a fan of Disney's recent Jungle Book remake, although I did enjoy Beauty and the Beast. I think this might be a sequel, not a remake, as the second book in the Mary Poppins series has a similar title (Mary Poppins Comes Back). I will say that I noticed a few Easter eggs.

We do split on remake-(or was it technically the 3rd?) reboot of "J. Book" I think it's marvelous!

4 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

"Eek!!! Uh! I mean . . . (takes minute to clear throat) . . . it looks like it could be interesting."

• Haha 1

I'm hard-pressed to think of a movie that I could be less interested in seeing. Maybe the photo-realistic CGI Lion King remake or the gritty, near-future Zorro reboot, but a sequel to one of my least favorite Disney movies is hard to beat. But I'm not the intended audience for this, anyway, so for those who are looking forward to it, I hope they do it justice and make something decent.

• Like 3

The original was such a huge part of my childhood that I'd rather not have a sequel at all, but the most I can hope for is that the sequel doesn't ruin the original.

• Like 1

Don't think I'll bother to see it. 

If they were going to do a sequel, they should have done it a long time ago.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SunAndMoon said:

The original was such a huge part of my childhood that I'd rather not have a sequel at all, but the most I can hope for is that the sequel doesn't ruin the original.

Exactly my sentiments. 

7 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Don't think I'll bother to see it. 

If they were going to do a sequel, they should have done it a long time ago.

I wouldn't, but as I've made a goal to see every Disney movie in theaters until the day I die, I feel morally obligated to do so. 

Curious to see what other people think of this (Mary Poppins Returns) teaser.

My first impression is that it emulates the viral "Scary Poppins" trailer. Oh goody. We'll have updated CGI effects galore. Wonder if it will include some violence/gore too?

I am afraid it will be heavily driven by "effects", and much less a family/relationship driven story like the first one. I also think the absolute strength of the '64 movie was the great songs that moved the plot along and the performances, especially JULIE ANDREWS.

The songs Disney puts into movies today lack melody and originality of the Sherman Bros songs and more resemble the tuneless talkie A.L. Webber style. With those essential elements missing, any sequel to the '64 will pale in comparison.

And what could Mary possibly teach today's kids that would be of any interest to them? Certainly not "a job well done", charity or value of people over money. Maybe that friends aren't in an electronic unit? That you are responsible for your own actions?
I'm afraid it will instead be more "magic will fix everything".
  • Like 1

'Cause I've heard there ain't no dancing penguins in this one, I'm gonna boycott it!

Gotta have dancing penguins, ya know!

I mean, that'd be like makin' "The Wizard of Oz Returns" and leavin' out the flyin' monkeys for chrissake, RIGHT???!!!

(...the preceding has been brought to you by Animal Stars Equity, and where our motto is: "When fur and feathers abound, everybody benefits")

• Haha 1

For me, the keynote element in MARY POPPINS was Irwin Kostal's use of the concertina in his orchestration. I'm interested in seeing this new picture and I will be listening...!

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I am afraid it will be heavily driven by "effects", and much less a family/relationship driven story like the first one. I also think the absolute strength of the '64 movie was the great songs that moved the plot along and the performances, especially JULIE ANDREWS.

And what could Mary possibly teach today's kids that would be of any interest to them? Certainly not "a job well done", charity or value of people over money. Maybe that friends aren't in an electronic unit? That you are responsible for your own actions?
I'm afraid it will instead be more "magic will fix everything".

The fact that we get the "mirror image" callback from the original movie pretty well confirms what the director said, ie. that he wanted to stick in as many "homages" to the original as possible, to show that it was still in the first movie's spirit.  

...You know, kind of like Disney's new Star Wars movies do.  Often to excess.  :rolleyes:

As for the "message", you can now put this alongside the current trailer for Disney's "Christopher Robin"--another long-buried project that finally got its greenlight on the success of "Saving Mr. Banks"--and start to realize what all those 90's video-sequels were doing all along:  Ever notice how the plot of almost every single one of those first few Disney vidquels was "The classic characters got married, had a kid, and had to learn how to relate to their misunderstood children, who went wayward because they didn't feel appreciated"?  (Qv. Little Mermaid II, Lion King II: Simba's Pride, Return to Neverland, Lady & the Tramp II: Scamps Adventure)  Disney knew what it was doing, in that kids don't buy videos or movie tickets, PARENTS do...And what Disney-indoctrinated parents bought them for was to indoctrinate the next generation on a love of Disney.  That's why the plots were distinctly created to push the buttons of grownup Disney moms who dreamed about being Lady, Nala, Wendy or Ariel.

Here, with the plots of "Saving Mr. & Mrs. Banks Jr.", and "Saving Mr. Milne", they can continue to hide behind "Parents should reach into their inner children, to understand their outer ones."  (Or, as I always call it, the Hook Factor:  Do kids really want to see stories about guilty parenting as much as guilty new-parent screenwriters want to write them?)

• Like 1