Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Men sharing a bed in classic films

37 posts in this topic

This morning I watched the 1947 Paramount romantic comedy-drama THE PERFECT MARRIAGE. There's a scene where David Niven and Eddie Albert wind up in bed together. Niven's married to Loretta Young in the film and getting a divorce. Albert is an old friend of the family with designs on Young but instead sleeps with Niven. 

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.37.18 AM.jpg

How many times did straight-identified men sleep together in movies made during the production code era? I don't mean military barracks. But actual bed sharing like we see in THE PERFECT MARRIAGE. I would guess the percentage is rather low but it's interesting these scenes were still allowed. And what was the exact wording in the code about it?

• Like 1

The first movie that came to mind was several movies with Laurel and Hardy.  Of course, it was completely innocent, and I don't think anyone gave it a second thought

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the 1956  movie, Moby Dick, Richard Basehart, as Ishmael, has to share a bed with Queequeg ( a cannibal) at    an Inn the night before going to sea.  It's a scene right out of the great novel and it's rather amusing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, don96 said:

In the 1956  movie, Moby Dick, Richard Basehart, as Ishmael, has to share a bed with Queequeg ( a cannibal) at    an Inn the night before going to sea.  It's a scene right out of the great novel and it's rather amusing.

Yes, a scene with multiple interpretations, I'm sure!

• Like 1

Rock Hudson and Tony Randall share a bed in "Send Me No Flowers".

rock-hudson-and-doris-day-picture-insert

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

And one of the men doesn't have to keep a foot on the floor.  :D

Yes, it's what I was referring to earlier in my comment about what is written in the code. Sometimes the writers are using these innocent men in bed scenes to refer to a more intimate relationship between the characters. If the screenwriter and/or director is gay, it's a bit more pronounced.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terrence1 said:

The first movie that came to mind was several movies with Laurel and Hardy.  Of course, it was completely innocent, and I don't think anyone gave it a second thought

Yep, Laurel and Hardy in Angora Love (1929) was the first title that came to my mind. Also see The Little Tramp and The Drunken Millionaire in City Lights (1931):

movies_ss_1429626307.jpg

In this case it's a little more tempting to read something into how the Millionaire is all over the Tramp when he's drunk, but doesn't want anything to do with him when he's sober.

Then in Hit and Rum (1935), Leon Errol and and Eddie Kane find themselves in the same bed the morning after a bender. When they wake up (fully dressed), each eyes the other in a way that just screams "We didn't...did we?"

• Like 5

I know, but I couldn't resist -

Cary Grant and Jim Hutton in "Walk Don't Run" -

walk-dont-run-1966-cary-grant-jim-hutton

• Like 1

I just remembered a scene from "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" where Steve Martin and John

Candy share a bed in a very, very funny moment.

• Like 4

Clint Walker and Edd "Kookie" Byrnes don't share a bed but manage to generate some heat from adjoining cots in Yellowstone Kelly. A very flirty Edd Byrnes has met Clint on a riverboat and Clint has invited Edd to join his travels for no particular reason. (Well, I can think of one reason.) They talk across a discreet distance but the looks in their eyes are anything but discreet.

CLint14.JPG

Clint16.JPG

p676_i_h12_aa.jpg

• Like 2

I saw this photo posted in another thread. Anyone know which film it was? Jimmy Durante and Buster Keaton made several.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 8.46.34 AM.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I saw this photo posted in another thread. Anyone know which film it was? Jimmy Durante and Buster Keaton made several.

Cute. I wonder if it was some kind of novelty publicity photo rather that a scene from a movie. It looks a little like a set-up and Jimmy seems to be getting the giggles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougieB said:

Cute. I wonder if it was some kind of novelty publicity photo rather that a scene from a movie. It looks a little like a set-up and Jimmy seems to be getting the giggles.

Yes, my first thought was it must have been a publicity photo. Maybe there's an article somewhere to go along with it.

9 hours ago, DougieB said:

Clint Walker and Edd "Kookie" Byrnes don't share a bed but manage to generate some heat from adjoining cots in Yellowstone Kelly. A very flirty Edd Byrnes has met Clint on a riverboat and Clint has invited Edd to join his travels for no particular reason. (Well, I can think of one reason.) They talk across a discreet distance but the looks in their eyes are anything but discreet.

CLint14.JPG

Clint16.JPG

p676_i_h12_aa.jpg

This looks like a scene from the 1950's version of "Brokeback Mountain"

• Like 2

I know you're looking for instances of straight-identified men sharing a bed, but I thought it might be interesting to consider two straight-identified actors playing gay: Rex Harrison and Richard Burton in Staircase (1969). The bed scene was actually used in the advertising.

staircase-window%20card-20582.jpg

• Like 2

Funny such a topic came up here. A lot of old movies show men in bed together as if it is no big deal. Maybe because so many viewers saw nothing sexual about sleeping together unless involving a man and a woman. Examples are endless. Aside from the Laurel & Hardy comedy shorts, other short films in particular include the Warner Bros. Joe McDoakes comedies  So You Want An Apartment and So Want To Be A V.P., but I should add that this series also often showed Joe and his wife in the same bed as well when such images weren't commonplace, and Loony Tunes with Porky and Daffy together. Columbia's Three Stooges comedies also displayed plenty of bro-bunking.

Then there are features like Sylvia Scarlet that belong in a class by themselves. Kate Hepburn's character is a woman posing as a man, but the whole situation still amuses today.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DougieB said:

I know you're looking for instances of straight-identified men sharing a bed, but I thought it might be interesting to consider two straight-identified actors playing gay: Rex Harrison and Richard Burton in Staircase (1969). The bed scene was actually used in the advertising.

It is so difficult to believe that Stanley Donen directed this extremely bad film.

Nobody seemed to have had "a clue".

1 hour ago, rayban said:

It is so difficult to believe that Stanley Donen directed this extremely bad film.

Nobody seemed to have had "a clue".

Maybe someone tampered with it in the editing process. I think it could have been much better than it turned out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Maybe someone tampered with it in the editing process. I think it could have been much better than it turned out.

The film's undeniable homophobia leaks through.

10 minutes ago, rayban said:

The film's undeniable homophobia leaks through.

True. It does. But I think it could have been fine as a character study of a couple, dealing with self-loathing. But there's more wrong with the film than its homophobia. It just isn't constructed very well.

• Like 2

Not quite in the same bed, but Onslow Stevens and Paul Lukas get pretty close in The Secret of the Blue Room.

11-stevens-lukas.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Not quite in the same bed, but Onslow Stevens and Paul Lukas get pretty close in The Secret of the Blue Room. I

11-stevens-lukas.jpg

Never seen this one. Thanks for mentioning it.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2018 at 8:14 AM, DougieB said:

This is terrible beyond redemption

• Haha 1